Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Can GPS mode be turned off
17833 11 2016-12-25
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Eh8YLsqrthTv
lvl.1
Flight distance : 208681 ft
United States

Can GPS mode be turned off while flying inside? If so how?
Thanks
2016-12-25
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

There's no GPS signal when you are flying indoors. The aircraft will automatically switch to atti or opti mode.
2016-12-26
Use props
Eh8YLsqrthTv
lvl.1
Flight distance : 208681 ft
United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 2016-12-26 03:59
There's no GPS signal when you are flying indoors. The aircraft will automatically switch to atti or opti mode.

I have seen a video of someone flying inside and he had gps signal. So yes it can. But it was also switching back and forth from gps to opti. That's why I was asking.
2016-12-26
Use props
trance728-
lvl.4
Flight distance : 298048 ft
  • >>>
United States

There is no way on the Mavic to manually put it in ATTI mode.
2016-12-26
Use props
MikeQView
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Any partial GPS signal is real dangerous indoors,  i agree an atti mode should be essential, especially any drone that cant be relied upon 100%,  and i dont know of one drone yet that is 100% ,  and i have been into RC for over 40 years,  and flown many many multirotors.
2016-12-26
Use props
Gary Mac
lvl.4
Flight distance : 741683 ft
United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 2016-12-26 03:59

Not true.

I have GPS a LOT when flying indoors as will many who are close to windows, etc.  The ability to TURN OFF GPS and run strictly in ATTI mode would be nice to prevent "surprise" movements when the Mavic goes into or out of GPS lock.

The Mavic does NOT have the ability to manually switch between GPS and ATTI mode.
2016-12-26
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

Eh8YLsqrthTv Posted at 2016-12-26 07:19
I have seen a video of someone flying inside and he had gps signal. So yes it can. But it was also switching back and forth from gps to opti. That's why I was asking.

If you are flying indoors close to a window then yes you may have full GPS lock. If it loses GPS and goes into ATTI mode then the downward sensors will keep it positioned. But you have to know the limitations of the sensors and make sure you are within the limitations.
2016-12-26
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

trance728- Posted at 2016-12-26 07:35
There is no way on the Mavic to manually put it in ATTI mode.

It's been requested, but yes there is no manual ATTI switch.
2016-12-26
Use props
Mikedefieslife
lvl.3
Flight distance : 6627 ft
United Kingdom

I too get GPS signal in doors. There's no reason you shouldn't if a phone can (non assisted) and a Garmin GPS can. It will just depend on your windows/walls and the buildings around etc.. satellite signals are crazy weak.

I have put in a request for a manual atti switch too. If enough of us do it perhaps they will listen. Or if they want to emulate Sony, completely ignore us and only add it to their new drones.
2016-12-26
Use props
FlyLight
lvl.2

Australia

Having ATTI assignable to the C-button would be on my wishlist!
2016-12-28
Use props
ViperX
New
Austria

Hello, I just watched a video a video about a drone almost crashed because of a solar storm causing gps problems... So maybe it would be a good idea to make it possible to turn off the gps mode... Or does it turn off automatically if it detects problems with the gps?
2019-2-23
Use props
Mark Jelic
New

Australia

Mikedefieslife Posted at 2016-12-26 14:01
I too get GPS signal in doors. There's no reason you shouldn't if a phone can (non assisted) and a Garmin GPS can. It will just depend on your windows/walls and the buildings around etc.. satellite signals are crazy weak.

I have put in a request for a manual atti switch too. If enough of us do it perhaps they will listen. Or if they want to emulate Sony, completely ignore us and only add it to their new drones.

How do you put in a feature request?

I certainly should be able to turn the GPS off if I wanted to. Right now I can’t even take a 30m aerial photo of a property I own in the country that has a barely used air strip a mile away. Seriously, what plane is going to care about me flying a drone at 30m about my house?? They are likely to have bigger issues at hand!
2019-4-22
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules