Phantom 3 turns itself on?
2070 20 2016-12-25
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
LoganRisen
lvl.1
United States

I just bought my phantom 3 standard brand new from bestbuy... When I bought it there is a few parts of the anti drop kit missing which I just put on using the extra that came with it. Besides all that, when I landed my drone I turned off the controller and went to grab it. All of a sudden it just started flying when we tried to pick it up. It did slice 3 of my fathers fingers open but he is fine. And once again today I encountered this problem but the controller was on and I was able to gain control. May it be the new firmware?
2016-12-25
Use props
PaulSouthport
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1448799 ft
United Kingdom

There should only be 2 anti-drop pins in use. The rest are spares.

IN RC there is a basic rule of thumb (or thumbs) - always turn on the radio first, always turn off the radio last.

2016-12-25
Use props
LoganRisen
lvl.1
United States

PaulSouthport Posted at 2016-12-25 12:11
There should only be 2 anti-drop pins in use. The rest are spares.

IN RC there is a basic rule of thumb (or thumbs) - always turn on the radio first, always turn off the radio last.

Ughh, I have all 4 on 3 came with them on... I thought it wasnt suppose to be missing. I have all 4 on... Also, with the thumbrule. The controller the 2nd time was just sitting on the table. Phantom on the floor just sitting there all of a sudden it takes off.
2016-12-25
Use props
Aardvark
Second Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

When you landed did you turn off the motors before switching off the RC ?

As said there should only be two anti-drop pins fitted diagonally opposite each other (it doesn't matter which diagonal).
2016-12-25
Use props
LoganRisen
lvl.1
United States

Aardvark Posted at 2016-12-25 12:20
When you landed did you turn off the motors before switching off the RC ?

As said there should only be two anti-drop pins fitted diagonally opposite each other (it doesn't matter which diagonal).

I cannot remove the extra pins... Do you have any idea how to? And the motors were slowing down after they stopped. I turned off the controller, all of a sudden it went full throttle and hit the underside of somebody's car.
2016-12-25
Use props
BillW50
lvl.3

United States

LoganRisen Posted at 2016-12-25 11:15
Ughh, I have all 4 on 3 came with them on... I thought it wasnt suppose to be missing. I have all 4 on...

I did the same thing when I first got my P3S. Oh well... I just left them on. It is supposedly adds vibrations (called jello effect) to the camera with all four installed.
2016-12-25
Use props
LoganRisen
lvl.1
United States

BillW50 Posted at 2016-12-25 12:28
I did the same thing when I first got my P3S. Oh well... I just left them on. It is supposedly adds vibrations (called jello effect) to the camera with all four installed.

Yeah, I don't really get any jello... Just only when the drone gets shoved sideways by the wind. (I live in florida there is alot of wind)
2016-12-25
Use props
Aardvark
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

LoganRisen Posted at 2016-12-25 17:23
I cannot remove the extra pins... Do you have any idea how to? And the motors were slowing down after they stopped. I turned off the controller, all of a sudden it went full throttle and hit the underside of somebody's car.

If they were slowing down then they were not stopped, the motors were still running and when you switched off RC and tried to pick it up it was probably about to attempt a return to home, as no RC signal for more than 3 seconds.
Which command did you use to shut off the motors ?
I would recommend you read through the manual at least twice, and become familiar with the basics before flying again.
2016-12-25
Use props
Ciro Italy
lvl.3

United States

you MUST SHUT DOWN motors, throttle full back ...(a click "occour" )
Becouse the aircraft doesn't know you have landed it ...barometer change it value and the cpu power on motors to MAINTAIN ALTITUDE
2016-12-25
Use props
LoganRisen
lvl.1
United States

Aardvark Posted at 2016-12-25 12:43
If they were slowing down then they were not stopped, the motors were still running and when you switched off RC and tried to pick it up it was probably about to attempt a return to home, as no RC signal for more than 3 seconds.
Which command did you use to shut off the motors ?
I would recommend you read through the manual at least twice, and become familiar with the basics before flying again.

They were no longer making a sound. Also, I have said this a million times. I left my phantom running while I was grabbing something remote on the table. And all of a sudden it takes off... I used full throttle down command to stop the motors. And yes I think the first time it was return to home. The seconed time I have no idea why.
2016-12-25
Use props
CHEOLK
lvl.3
Flight distance : 5299 ft
Singapore

Yes it is true the rc after landing canshoot off into the sky.  It hhappened to me and the rc was caught by the tree branches. I had to use 2 long poles to get my rc back.
2016-12-25
Use props
LoganRisen
lvl.1
United States

CHEOLK Posted at 2016-12-25 13:05
Yes it is true the rc after landing canshoot off into the sky.  It hhappened to me and the rc was caught by the tree branches. I had to use 2 long poles to get my rc back.

What makes me sad is I hear all these good reviews, I buy it, It ends up being really bad...
2016-12-25
Use props
Betamace
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2133 ft
United States

LoganRisen Posted at 2016-12-26 01:23

You can remove the anti-drop pins without breaking them. Just press the washer inwards onto the thicker portion of the pin shank... Wait a couple minutes... Then quickly pull the washer off the pin. If you do this quickly the locking fingers on the washer will not have time to expand.  
2016-12-25
Use props
LoganRisen
lvl.1
United States

Betamace Posted at 2016-12-25 13:09
You can remove the anti-drop pins without breaking them. Just press the washer inwards onto the thicker portion of the pin shank... Wait a couple minutes... Then quickly pull the washer off the pin. If you do this quickly the locking fingers on the washer will not have time to expand.

May you show me a image of somekind?
2016-12-25
Use props
Aardvark
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

LoganRisen Posted at 2016-12-25 17:47
They were no longer making a sound. Also, I have said this a million times. I left my phantom running while I was grabbing something remote on the table. And all of a sudden it takes off... I used full throttle down command to stop the motors. And yes I think the first time it was return to home. The seconed time I have no idea why.

"They were no longer making a sound. Also, I have said this a million times. I left my phantom running while I was grabbing something remote on the table."

Or more precisely, you have said it once, you left it unattended with the motors running. You are not supposed to do that. It doesn't know it's on the ground, and with minor errors in barometer and GPS readings it will likely try and adjust its position.

Read the manual (page 43) and learn how to shut down the motors properly.
2016-12-25
Use props
Betamace
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2133 ft
United States

LoganRisen Posted at 2016-12-26 02:16
May you show me a image of somekind?

YT has a video, go search.
2016-12-25
Use props
LoganRisen
lvl.1
United States

Aardvark Posted at 2016-12-25 13:50
"They were no longer making a sound. Also, I have said this a million times. I left my phantom running while I was grabbing something remote on the table."

Or more precisely, you have said it once, you left it unattended with the motors running. You are not supposed to do that. It doesn't know it's on the ground, and with minor errors in barometer and GPS readings it will likely try and adjust its position.

No, the motors were off. But the phantom battery was still on...
2016-12-25
Use props
MrPinaColada
lvl.4
Flight distance : 790082 ft
United States

1. Read the manual.
2. Read it again.
3. Turn the phantom off first, then the remote.

Magically all your issues will disappear
2016-12-25
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

LoganRisen Posted at 2016-12-25 10:15
Ughh, I have all 4 on 3 came with them on... I thought it wasnt suppose to be missing. I have all 4 on... Also, with the thumbrule. The controller the 2nd time was just sitting on the table. Phantom on the floor just sitting there all of a sudden it takes off.

Yes, you only want to be using two plastic anti drop pins, but leave all four of them rubber vibration dampers in place. ;-)

RedHotPoker
2016-12-25
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

LoganRisen Posted at 2016-12-26 08:05
No, the motors were off. But the phantom battery was still on...

No-one seems to have picked up on this.
The Phantom will initiate RTH 3 seconds after it loses controller signal.
That's what happened to you.
Don't leave the Phantom turned on after you land and don't switch off the controller first as you can cause it to start RTH.
2016-12-25
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Please turn off the phantom firstly then remote, do not leave it running after landing.
Be careful when flying.
2016-12-26
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules