Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Cetacean
Captain
Flight distance : 2528264 ft
  • >>>
United States

Theadversary Posted at 2016-12-25 09:53
I expect it to work. I own a lot of sophisticated tech. They all work, even with FW updates and failures.  If this is what is to be expected from drones, then I do need to wait awhile before trying again. If I'm going to be an Alpha tester, I would like to be paid.

Aloha Adversary,

Your problem is your attitude.  Your whole approach to this Forum reflects your approach to your P3S.  You have been given good advice in spite of all this.  It is up to you to accept the advice or not.  But, as noted, you have to accept the consequences.

I am sorry you ruined your Christmas.

Aloha and Drone On!
2016-12-25
Use props
WilliamM
Second Officer
Flight distance : 904364 ft
United States

Theadversary Posted at 2016-12-25 15:27
It is also gray when you start it for the first time. Linking comes before the update in the Fing Manual. It was linked before. It was linked after. It won't fly and as hard as it may be fir you to believe, it ain't operator error.

What a minute, how could the camera button be grayed out if this is true. Your line "Yes I relinked it. How else would it stream video to my phone?" ???
2016-12-25
Use props
Theadversary
lvl.1

United States

WilliamM Posted at 2016-12-26 04:33
What a minute, how could the camera button be grayed out if this is true. Your line "Yes I relinked it. How else would it stream video to my phone?" ???

Grayed out BEFORE THE FW UPDATE. It wasn't afterwards.
2016-12-25
Use props
Theadversary
lvl.1

United States

Cetacean Posted at 2016-12-26 04:33
Aloha Adversary,

Your problem is your attitude.  Your whole approach to this Forum reflects your approach to your P3S.  You have been given good advice in spite of all this.  It is up to you to accept the advice or not.  But, as noted, you have to accept the consequences.

My approach?  All I have gotten, including from you is "you are an idiot, there is no possible way the drone can be defective, and learn to tech noob." I paraphrase of course. I followed the manufacturer's instructions perfectly and did everything a user can do for troubleshooting. The drone was bricked by the FW update. Period, and no amount of insulting behavior by you or anyone else will change that fact.
2016-12-25
Use props
WD9EON
Second Officer
Flight distance : 686886 ft
United States

I'm out of here, think I'll fly MY drone.  Merry Christmas everyone.
2016-12-25
Use props
Knobbynomates
Second Officer
Flight distance : 18504 ft
United Kingdom

Theadversary Posted at 2016-12-25 20:27
It is also gray when you start it for the first time. Linking comes before the update in the Fing Manual. It was linked before. It was linked after. It won't fly and as hard as it may be for you to believe, it ain't operator error.

Hi Theadversary

I was the one that started off about it being operator error

I was not trying to be rude or unhelpful but any time my drone has 'thrown a wobbly' it's been an operator error on my part, particularly when I'd not had it long

You say your friend has one and loves his - two heads are better than one - what does he say?

You could have ignored the update, but I see why you didn't

When you do the update what sound does the drone make? what sound does it make when it says it's completed it? What does the led do on the gimbal? Can you post a video - we all want to get you flying
2016-12-25
Use props
WilliamM
Second Officer
United States

Theadversary Posted at 2016-12-25 15:34
Grayed out BEFORE THE FW UPDATE. It wasn't afterwards.

So lets see if I have this right, the camera button is now NOT grayed out and the large LED on the RC is GREEN, correct ?? And if your getting a image from the camera, your connected to the drones wifi. So are you doing a CSC to engage the motors??
2016-12-25
Use props
Mattyyeager
New

United States

WilliamM Posted at 2016-12-26 04:29
When everything is powered up if the large LED on the RC is green you can do it through the Go app, via the camera settings. If not, you'll need a card reader and do the format via your computer. Remember it's FAT.

Everything is powered on. Green light on the RC. Rear LED's are blinking Green, Yellow, Red and the unit is beeping. I've tried formating through the App. It doesn't let me.
2016-12-25
Use props
djordan2
Second Officer
Flight distance : 79291 ft
United States

I have a very similar story. My son got a Standard, and had no problems.  My grandson got a Standard and had no problems.  I got a Standard and had no problems...still don't!  But my cousin got a Standard and was ready to take it to the firing range and use it for a target.  He could not make it work.  Could not get the engines to start, could not get GPS, could not get the camera to work.  I spent an hour on the phone trying to just calm him down.  I tried to walk him though all the steps to get it working.  Nothing I told him would work.  He was most upset...big time.  I had him re-link the RC to the Drone.  I don't know how I thought of this, but I finally told him to take it our in the street and try to connect again.  He did.  And on the first attempt, the done sprang to life. Then I figured that because he was living in a single wide mobile home, which is more or less a big metal box, that it was somehow preventing a successful start.  Now he is happy.  I never did figure out what he was doing wrong.  I do know that he is not computer literate, and doesn't understand Wifi at all.  Especially how to disconnect from one and connect to another.  I don't know what the problem was.  But he has now had the Standard for 4 months, and has not had a problem since.  I think it has a lot to do with really understanding how the whole think works. And sometimes, that take time.  Trial and error sometimes.  Just my 2 cents.
2016-12-25
Use props
Theadversary
lvl.1

United States

djordan2 Posted at 2016-12-26 05:09
I have a very similar story. My son got a Standard, and had no problems.  My grandson got a Standard and had no problems.  I got a Standard and had no problems...still don't!  But my cousin got a Standard and was ready to take it to the firing range and use it for a target.  He could not make it work.  Could not get the engines to start, could not get GPS, could not get the camera to work.  I spent an hour on the phone trying to just calm him down.  I tried to walk him though all the steps to get it working.  Nothing I told him would work.  He was most upset...big time.  I had him re-link the RC to the Drone.  I don't know how I thought of this, but I finally told him to take it our in the street and try to connect again.  He did.  And on the first attempt, the done sprang to life. Then I figured that because he was living in a single wide mobile home, which is more or less a big metal box, that it was somehow preventing a successful start.  Now he is happy.  I never did figure out what he was doing wrong.  I do know that he is not computer literate, and doesn't understand Wifi at all.  Especially how to disconnect from one and connect to another.  I don't know what the problem was.  But he has now had the Standard for 4 months, and has not had a problem since.  I think it has a lot to do with really understanding how the whole think works. And sometimes, that take time.  Trial and error sometimes.  Just my 2 cents.

Believe it or not I tried that too.  I took it outside after reading that more than two wifi signals in the same area can cause the problem of the RC not connecting.  Still no joy.  Mine is doing everything except flying.  It streams video.  It shows where it is on the little minimap (indicating to me that the GPS is working).  The engines will just not turn on because something in the update is preventing it from connecting to the RC even when the RC is right next to it.

I'm telling you people, I have done EVERYTHING that can be done.  The drone is broke, I am major league disappointed, and do not understand why a company would not allow you to redownload an update.  THat is the only thing that can fix this drone, and from where I'm sitting there is no way to do it without being in the manufacturing facility.  There isn't even a way to restore it to factory default from what I can tell.
2016-12-25
Use props
Theadversary
lvl.1

United States

WilliamM Posted at 2016-12-26 05:03
So lets see if I have this right, the camera button is now NOT grayed out and the large LED on the RC is GREEN, correct ?? And if your getting a image from the camera, your connected to the drones wifi. So are you doing a CSC to engage the motors??

William, I'm sure the light isn't on at all as I have packed it back in the box so I can take it back.  But at the time I finally threw in the towel, it was doing everything but flying.  It was constantly displaying "RC Connection lost" or words to that effect at the top left of the iphone screen.
2016-12-25
Use props
WilliamM
Second Officer
United States

Theadversary Posted at 2016-12-25 16:17
William, I'm sure the light isn't on at all as I have packed it back in the box so I can take it back.  But at the time I finally threw in the towel, it was doing everything but flying.  It was constantly displaying "RC Connection lost" or words to that effect at the top left of the iphone screen.

Did you try the CSC to engage the motors?? If the LED was green and you were getting a image, you were connected.
2016-12-25
Use props
WD9EON
Second Officer
United States

Mattyyeager Posted at 2016-12-25 15:06
Everything is powered on. Green light on the RC. Rear LED's are blinking Green, Yellow, Red and the unit is beeping. I've tried formating through the App. It doesn't let me.

May I ask what is beeping?  The Quad or the remote controller?
2016-12-25
Use props
WilliamM
Second Officer
United States

Mattyyeager Posted at 2016-12-25 16:06

Why won't it let you ?? And you can still use a computer with a card reader.
2016-12-25
Use props
Mattyd104
New

United States

Knobbynomates Posted at 2016-12-25 11:46
Sounds like an operator error to me. Updating through the app works fine

Sorry bro...you would be incorrect on this one.  The gentleman with the complaint is correct.  Updating through the app works correctly, sometimes.  And sometimes, it screws up the controller and you cannot remove the tainted FW.  Sometimes you can remove new FW and re-download old...but when it is out of box, and you follow the steps, then you follow the manufacturers steps to doom!  Just the facts, only the facts.
2016-12-25
Use props
Theadversary
lvl.1

United States

WilliamM Posted at 2016-12-26 05:21
Did you try the CSC to engage the motors?? If the LED was green and you were getting a image, you were connected.

I do not know what you mean by CSC.
2016-12-25
Use props
Mattyyeager
New

United States

WilliamM Posted at 2016-12-26 04:29
When everything is powered up if the large LED on the RC is green you can do it through the Go app, via the camera settings. If not, you'll need a card reader and do the format via your computer. Remember it's FAT.

Can't get it done through the App. Rear LED's are blinking Green, Yellow, Red and it is beeping. Can't update, format or calibrate through the app. How can you format on the computer and what is FAT? Any help is appreciated!
2016-12-25
Use props
Theadversary
lvl.1

United States

Mattyd104 Posted at 2016-12-26 05:24
Sorry bro...you would be incorrect on this one.  The gentleman with the complaint is correct.  Updating through the app works correctly, sometimes.  And sometimes, it screws up the controller and you cannot remove the tainted FW.  Sometimes you can remove new FW and re-download old...but when it is out of box, and you follow the steps, then you follow the manufacturers steps to doom!  Just the facts, only the facts.

My goodness, but thank you!  I was beginning to think I was the only one on this forum who thought it was possible for a FW update to fail.
2016-12-25
Use props
WD9EON
Second Officer
United States

Theadversary Posted at 2016-12-25 15:33
My goodness, but thank you!  I was beginning to think I was the only one on this forum who thought it was possible for a FW update to fail.

Have both toggle switches up.
Both joy sticks down and to the center, should start the motors
Left joy stick straight down until you feel the click to shut them off.

Don't start off having the left joy stick locked in the down position, controller will beep and LED will flash on it.

2016-12-25
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
Flight distance : 1087530 ft
Russia

Xmas has come ....

There are two ways to update the gear ..... via Go App or via SD card direct by downloading the FW to the root of the card ....

Phantomhelp website has the FW to download.

Nigel
2016-12-25
Use props
WilliamM
Second Officer
United States

Theadversary Posted at 2016-12-25 16:32
I do not know what you mean by CSC.

It's how you start the motors!! Both sticks full down and to their inter corners, or both sticks fully down and to their outer corners. If you didn't do this, it's not going to start.
2016-12-25
Use props
WilliamM
Second Officer
United States

Mattyyeager Posted at 2016-12-25 16:32
Can't get it done through the App. Rear LED's are blinking Green, Yellow, Red and it is beeping. Can't update, format or calibrate through the app. How can you format on the computer and what is FAT? Any help is appreciated!

First you need a card reader, if you laptop or PC doesn't have one you can't do it. And FAT is the format you need to select on your computer, it's the type of format.
2016-12-25
Use props
berkay
lvl.2

United States

Theadversary Posted at 2016-12-25 16:33

Besides the entire topic, if you're trying to fly without knowing what CSC is you're rushing your first flight.
2016-12-25
Use props
Mattyd104
New

United States

Just to let you know...I had the same issue happen today for the one I bought my son.  I now know how to fix this issue and it actually quite easy!
2016-12-25
Use props
Jake Phantom 3
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2639747 ft
United States

Theadversary Posted at 2016-12-25 16:33

I have the solution for you. Take the P3S back to Walmart, don't give up, and get another new one. Only this time don't upgrade the firmware. I have never updated my firmware since I got it and it does everything I ask of it. Just ignore the update the firmware notice.
2016-12-25
Use props
WilliamM
Second Officer
United States

Mattyd104 Posted at 2016-12-25 18:17
Just to let you know...I had the same issue happen today for the one I bought my son.  I now know how to fix this issue and it actually quite easy!

Fill us in, maybe it could be helpful to the OP .
2016-12-25
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
Flight distance : 2528264 ft
  • >>>
United States

Theadversary Posted at 2016-12-25 10:39
My approach?  All I have gotten, including from you is "you are an idiot, there is no possible way the drone can be defective, and learn to tech noob." I paraphrase of course. I followed the manufacturer's instructions perfectly and did everything a user can do for troubleshooting. The drone was bricked by the FW update. Period, and no amount of insulting behavior by you or anyone else will change that fact.

Aloha Adversary,

Your opening comment shows extreme insecurity on this issue.  You also said earlier that your friend has a P3S and has had no problems with it.  Have you discussed all this with your friend?  

Just for clarification, your drone was bricked by your FW update.  Now you have to figure out how you can fix it.  You have options to fix it, but do you have the attitude to fix it?  We are willing to help if your friend cannot, but you may really want to start being nice.  It is Christmas after all!

You need to salvage your Christmas.

Aloha and Drone On!
2016-12-25
Use props
Mattyd104
New

United States

WilliamM Posted at 2016-12-25 12:41
I'm sure it had something to do with the way you installed the FW. I've had my P3S for over a year now and have done at least four FW updates via the GO app and all but one had not a one issue. And the one that did, just reinstall the FW and the second time it worked. It's funny how there's thousands of happy P3S owners and as soon as a newbie has an issue it such a bad product and terrible company. lol

I'm not a newbie...bought one for my son and it did the same thing.  There is an issue with FW.  It can be fixed as I fixed mine but you need to be just a little bit advanced in understanding how these drones work.  Why put the man down?  I'd bet dollars to donuts if you had the same issue...you couldn't fix it.  So again I say...why put the man down?
2016-12-25
Use props
Mattyd104
New

United States

WilliamM Posted at 2016-12-25 17:22
Fill us in, maybe it could be helpful to the OP .

The Steps :
1. Download the firmware at http://phantomhelp.com/Mobile/Phantom-3-Standard/#FirmwareArchive and select the FW that you want .bin file format

2. Insert the file to the sd card, outside of the folder, and must be the only file in .bin file format

3. Turn on the RC and the drone without the sd card until it connects (RC and Drone)

4. Connect to DJI GO App (to see downgrade status stay at front page of the app)

5. Insert the sd card into the camera. Then the downgrade process is starting and the rear led will turn to yellow and there will be beep sound from the drone (it is normal). See at DJI GO app, there will be a status bar to show the downgrade process. If the rear led becomes green it means the process is complete, you also can see the succes notice at DJI GO App.

6. Restart the RC and Drone, connect to the DJI GO App, check the FW. Finished.
then delete the file from the micro sd card.  Also. I would use version 1.6.80.  My drone is now working as it should.
2016-12-25
Use props
RSH
lvl.1

United States

Going to ditto this post.  Gave my son in law a P3S today and upon power up notified of FW update.  Installed and said completed.  Upon restart we got Control error/barometer error.  Spent all day trying to downgrade/upgrade FW with no luck.  Paperweight.  I have a P3A for over a year and no problems whatsoever, never anticipated that FW should not be updated per the message on the P3S.

Terrible QC no matter the cause.  Can't say whether it is HW or FW since we upgraded from the gitgo but either way somebody should be checking these at the factory or making sure the bugs are removed before issuing the upgrade.  Ruined Christmas for both of us and I see some posts on the internet that we are not alone with the same problem.

If that's not bad enough, I ordered direct from DJI so expect the SIL will be without his Christmas for a month or more.  Wish I had ordered from Amazon if DJI is shipping defective products for the holiday season.
2016-12-25
Use props
WilliamM
Second Officer
United States

Mattyd104 Posted at 2016-12-25 18:24
I'm not a newbie...bought one for my son and it did the same thing.  There is an issue with FW.  It can be fixed as I fixed mine but you need to be just a little bit advanced in understanding how these drones work.  Why put the man down?  I'd bet dollars to donuts if you had the same issue...you couldn't fix it.  So again I say...why put the man down?

Some other members in this thread did give him a hard time, I did not. I posted many messages here, if you look through I posted the most with questions and suggestions. Getting some back and forth with the OP on his issue. I did comment that it's funny how some people trash the product and the company on their very first post, on their very first thread just because something went wrong. It's also funny how when I asked him if he did a CSC to start the motors, he didn't have a clue what I was talking about and we haven't heard back from him since. And your following post on your fix that your thinking is a big revelation has been posted on the Phantom Pilot forum long ago.
2016-12-25
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

If old software was still on the drone, a Phantom Standard, it probably won't be built last week, or last month.
So it was shipped like when it was packaged. They don't upgrade them further, after new updates are released publicly. ;-)

When you turn it on for the first time, wifi recognizes the differences and give you the update alternative. Still up to you...

RedHotPoker
2016-12-25
Use props
Betamace
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2133 ft
United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2016-12-26 08:14
If old software was still on the drone, a Phantom Standard, it probably won't be built last week, or last month.
So it was shipped like when it was packaged. They don't upgrade them further, after new updates are release publicly. ;-)

Yep. If the app asked you to update the FW, it was only because an earlier version was detected. It's not forcing you to update anything.  Out of the box, the RC, AC and battery will have firmware current with it's date of manufacture.  
2016-12-25
Use props
Kirk2579
Second Officer
Flight distance : 37415 ft
United States

Theadversary Posted at 2016-12-25 13:36
Thanks, but I'm too bummed out by this experience. I am just going to get my money back and wait for the tech to improve. I learned a long time ago to never trust anything that fails right out of the box.

I taught all 4 kids not to quit when you run into an issue

take it head on, and learn from it, and much satisfaction is to be had!

The technology is very much ready and solid.

Maybe the quad is bad.
maybe your phone/or tablet was the issue.
maybe you did make an error.
maybe.....
I certainly would not let that make me just run!

swap it out and try again, at least you will know!

good luck and have fun flying!
2016-12-25
Use props
RSH
lvl.1

United States

Betamace Posted at 2016-12-25 19:26
Yep. If the app asked you to update the FW, it was only because an earlier version was detected. It's not forcing you to update anything.  Out of the box, the RC, AC and battery will have firmware current with it's date of manufacture.

Surely you understand that DJI STRONGLY recommends you update the firmware whenever a new release is issued.  I always updated my P3A at each release.  Why in God's name would you suggest that a new owner not follow that same recommendation.

Having said that I am inclined to believe it is a HW issue, but as I said earlier, it is still poor QC no matter what but especially given that every unit manufactured since October was for the Christmas market.
2016-12-25
Use props
RSH
lvl.1

United States

Kirk2579 Posted at 2016-12-25 21:25
I taught all 4 kids not to quit when you run into an issue

take it head on, and learn from it, and much satisfaction is to be had!

Fully intend to replace it, just not happy it was a sad Christmas for the SIL.

Not sure how you can say operator error.  You turn on the TR, the drone, the tablet and then when you see the upgrade available you tap it.  What about that is subject to error?

On the other hand, if the manufacturer doesn't test before they ship then it is quite possible they send out units with a bad barometer.  Google it.
2016-12-25
Use props
ro.othorick
New

United States

I haven't flown my P3S yet due to adverse weather (freezing rain! yay!), or even tried to start the engines (inside? sounds like a "hold my beer" idea), but I DID successfully do a firmware update on it, and it is still connecting fine to the RC and phone, I'm getting a good picture, the lights and app telemetry all look normal, camera gimbals doing their thing, etc.

My "day" job is first-line tech support on a smart home system, and I know from that experience that most of the people you find on forums or calling support are the people that ran into issues and either a) want to vent or b) want a solution to their problem. I'd bet good money that for the vast majority, the update went swimmingly and they've already successfully flown their drone at least once, but the inherent self-selection bias here makes quite the opposite seem true.
2016-12-25
Use props
MrPinaColada
lvl.4
Flight distance : 790082 ft
United States

Go to phantompilots.com. There is a firmware section where you need to download the latest firmware 1.7. From there insert the microsd card into your computer, format it, and then put the 1.7 files on to your computer (you must extract the files first). After you copied the files onto the sd card, put the card back into your phantom. Start up the rc, connecr your device to wifi, and then start the phantom. It should force update. If that was confusing search "How to Downgrade P3S firmware" on youtube. The process is the exact same as what I described just put the latest firmwarw (1.7) on the sd card). Let us know how it goes.
2016-12-25
Use props
WilliamM
Second Officer
United States

RSH Posted at 2016-12-25 21:53
Surely you understand that DJI STRONGLY recommends you update the firmware whenever a new release is issued.  I always updated my P3A at each release.  Why in God's name would you suggest that a new owner not follow that same recommendation.

Having said that I am inclined to believe it is a HW issue, but as I said earlier, it is still poor QC no matter what but especially given that every unit manufactured since October was for the Christmas market.

Your line, "Why in God's name would you suggest that a new owner not follow that same recommendation." Us that have been with Phantoms and DJI for awhile always recommend not to upgrade the FW right out of the box. I do this very often myself when giving advice to a new Phantom owner, so I'm sorry to say your the one that is wrong on this issue. The FW on these Phantoms can be very glitchy sometime, and having a new pilot with no experience with drones or DJI Phantoms doing a FW update right off is not advisable. It best to just fly and get some flying under your belt so you get to know your drone and how it's meant to work before messing around with software changes.
2016-12-25
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

Sorry you are having difficulties, did you delete/re0install the app.
If the update failed then possibly there was an interruption in your WiFi data transfer downloading the firmware from the internet.
If you delete the app and re-install, then the app will ask for the update again.
Please make sure you have a good WiFi connection when you download the update.
2016-12-25
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules