My first crash!! A Christmas Miracle!
1029 14 2016-12-25
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
flowbie
lvl.2
Flight distance : 124281 ft
Canada

[size=14.6667px]So I had my first crash today. I had just started a Litchi waypoint mission of about 5.2km at a height of 50 meters. Who would have thought that there would be a tree on my route that's about 54 meters high? Thank goodness the[size=14.6667px] battery didn't pop out after it's 170 ft fall into snow. No damage except for a broken prop! Camera and gimbal okay!
[size=14.6667px]The mission:
mission.jpg

The VLOG or whatever the kids call it these days:

2016-12-25
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

You got lucky. Take it easy...

RedHotPoker
2016-12-25
Use props
Andrew245
lvl.2

Canada

This looks to me like 50 ft not 50 meters that would be a 150 ft I do not believe any of those trees were that tall, maybe I'm wrong but that looks pretty low to me for 150ft of altitude.
2016-12-25
Use props
JACKODOG-ANDROI
lvl.3
Flight distance : 208383 ft
United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2016-12-25 20:49
You got lucky. Take it easy...

hay! merry christmas
just got a p3s christmas present up in the air for recipant.
1hr, every thing is great. "persenaly don't care for the wi-fi crap"
2016-12-25
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

JACKODOG-ANDROI Posted at 2016-12-25 19:17
hay! merry christmas
just got a p3s christmas present up in the air for recipant.
1hr, every thing is great. "persenaly don't care for the wi-fi crap"

Yes you can say that again... Ha

Oh you already did, in your PM to me. ;-)

Yes, it's marvellous.

RedHotPoker
2016-12-25
Use props
WilliamM
lvl.4
Flight distance : 904364 ft
United States

I agree in part with the over poster, it doesn't look like 50 meters to me. Most trees are not that tall. Anyway why would you cut it that close, always give yourself an extra 10 meters min above anything around. Also you do know that all relative to you home point. If there's a 40 meter tree on a 20 meter hill, that's 60 meters for you.
2016-12-26
Use props
ePetLicensing.c
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

That is for sure NOT A 50 Meter tall tree!!!
2016-12-26
Use props
flowbie
lvl.2
Canada

I don't know how the heck you can tell from the video how tall the trees are but they are some big ass trees. I would have never thought as well but they are second growth trees in the area. All I know is they are on the same level as where I took off and the Litchi screen said 50m. They are definitely the tallest trees in the area.
2016-12-26
Use props
flowbie
lvl.2
Canada

RHP. Thanks I did get lucky! You take it easy too.
2016-12-26
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

It seems that you really lucked out. This goes to show that you really need to be aware of the values you input in these 3rd party apps and verify what unit of measurement you're using.
2016-12-26
Use props
flowbie
lvl.2
Canada

For sure I was lucky DJI-Jaimie! I did verify that I was in meters just tonight. Oh well it was a good learning experience for sure. I'll set the height much higher as soon as I test to see if it flies alright still. Too much rain here!
2016-12-26
Use props
WilliamM
lvl.4
Flight distance : 904364 ft
United States

flowbie Posted at 2016-12-27 00:04
I don't know how the heck you can tell from the video how tall the trees are but they are some big ass trees. I would have never thought as well but they are second growth trees in the area. All I know is they are on the same level as where I took off and the Litchi screen said 50m. They are definitely the tallest trees in the area.

Two things I just thought of when you were about to confront the tree top. If I remember there's a pause button the app, I've never used it myself but next time out I will test it. Next don't the sticks still work even during a waypoint mission? Could have just did a (left or right) right stick, again need to test this myself next time out.
2016-12-27
Use props
flowbie
lvl.2
Canada

WilliamM Posted at 2016-12-27 11:24
Two things I just thought of when you were about to confront the tree top. If I remember there's a pause button the app, I've never used it myself but next time out I will test it. Next don't the sticks still work even during a waypoint mission? Could have just did a (left or right) right stick, again need to test this myself next time out.

I hear you! I know there's a pause button or I should have just switched to P mode but I panicked and I have not problem saying that!! Sticks don't work at all on a mission, at least they didn't seem to do much for me. I better learn the software a bit better before embarking on a longer mission as people here have suggested! Lesson learned.
2016-12-27
Use props
Hoomi
lvl.4
Flight distance : 231394 ft
United States

Does the app adjust altitude for variances in ground level altitude? Or does it set the altitude based on the ground level at the start point, and maintains that altitude through the entire course?
2016-12-29
Use props
flowbie
lvl.2
Canada

I don't believe it adjusts altitude and take is from the starting point. Litchi will maintain whatever altitude you set it for. I'm my case it was set for 50m.
2016-12-29
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules