Battery issue forcing drone to land
1604 16 2016-12-25
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
OhOhDrone
lvl.3
Flight distance : 526076 ft
United States

I flew today at a local ski resort but when the drone got up to about 10m, it gave me a critical battery warning and started descending. Lucky thing, I have not flown away yet and was able to retrieve the drone. What puzzles me is that my drone battery was at 68%, remote was at 97% and my Galaxy S6 was at 70%. So there really was no reason why it should force itself to land. After that happened I chickened out and took the drone back home.

I think I got the flight logs correctly from my phone, but please let me know if they are incorrect. Drop box link

Video of the drone forcing itself to land:

2016-12-25
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Could you please check the value of critically low battery warning in DJI GO app?
2016-12-26
Use props
Angelo26
lvl.4
Flight distance : 799718 ft
Austria

What was the outside temperature ?
2016-12-26
Use props
OhOhDrone
lvl.3
United States

I set my low warning to 35% and critical warning at 10%  

The outside air temperature was 20F/-6C
Here is the flight log from DJI/dji.go.v4/FlightRecord/: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/7wx3b ... 6nqf3l9Ne59INa?dl=0
2016-12-26
Use props
Peut
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1761181 ft
Netherlands

Maybe I could be of some sort of help because I experienced it also.

Did you upload to healthy drones as well?
2016-12-26
Use props
erhard
lvl.3
Flight distance : 78665 ft
  • >>>
Austria

your fault ... why do u operate it outside of its temperature specification ?
2016-12-26
Use props
OhOhDrone
lvl.3
United States

I did upload to healthy drones and it did show the critical battery warning that I got. I also checked the specs and looks like I was outside the operating range of 0C. So it looks like I should not be flying around the snow.
2016-12-26
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

OhOhDrone Posted at 2016-12-26 13:04
I did upload to healthy drones and it did show the critical battery warning that I got. I also checked the specs and looks like I was outside the operating range of 0C. So it looks like I should not be flying around the snow.

I've flown in snow before and I warm up the batteries before fight and also hover for a few minutes.
That's just my personal experience and it's not recommended to fly out of the operating temperature and if there's a crash or loss of aircraft, it would NOT be covered under the warranty.
2016-12-26
Use props
z4k4tt4ck
lvl.3
Flight distance : 535 ft
Australia

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-12-27 04:13
I've flown in snow before and I warm up the batteries before fight and also hover for a few minutes.
That's just my personal experience and it's not recommended to fly out of the operating temperature and if thee's a crash or loss of aircraft it would be covered under the warranty.

i think you have made a typo there ken
2016-12-26
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

z4k4tt4ck Posted at 2016-12-26 13:41
i think you have made a typo there ken

Sorry, fixed now.
2016-12-26
Use props
OhOhDrone
lvl.3
United States

Thank you for the insight. I will warm up the battery first and make sure to fly carefully.
2016-12-26
Use props
R&L Aerial
First Officer
Flight distance : 298100 ft
  • >>>
United States

This was caused by accually by three things, one, it was cold out, two, you took off with a battery that wasn't 100% and three you didn't warm the battery up before flight. There's nothing wrong with your mavic. Next time fly with fully charged, warm batteries and it won't happen again.
2016-12-26
Use props
OhOhDrone
lvl.3
United States

Yes it is likely due to a very cold battery. I left my drone in my car while I skied outside for about 4 hours so it likely got pretty cold. It was about the same temperature today but i kept the batter in my jacket next to my body and it flew well. I didn't send it too far or too high just in case the issue happened again. I did run it at 67% where I last left off yesterday but I will keep in mind to use a full battery next time.

Thanks for the insight.
2016-12-26
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

OhOhDrone Posted at 2016-12-26 17:45
Yes it is likely due to a very cold battery. I left my drone in my car while I skied outside for about 4 hours so it likely got pretty cold. It was about the same temperature today but i kept the batter in my jacket next to my body and it flew well. I didn't send it too far or too high just in case the issue happened again. I did run it at 67% where I last left off yesterday but I will keep in mind to use a full battery next time.

Thanks for the insight.

If you are in cold weather, make sure to always keep the battery warm and hover for a minute or two.
2016-12-26
Use props
fans05e6c58a
lvl.3
United States

buy some hand warmers and keep them and your batteries in the same pocket.that will keep them warm
2016-12-26
Use props
Blade Breaker 0
lvl.2

United States

I have flow in temps as low as -10 deg F and as long as you have the AC and battery warm before flight no issues. Flying quite often at 20 deg F for 20+ minutes. No issues.
2016-12-26
Use props
fschilder
lvl.2
Flight distance : 102028 ft
  • >>>
Canada

I don't know about the Galaxy, but the iPhone is very susceptible to low temperature and will report it as a low battery failure (and shut down). It's not actually the remote or the Mavic, but there is nothing in the message to clarify that. You might also be getting the "red herring" message when in reality it's the phone not the bird or controller.
2016-12-26
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules