Birds hate the Mavic - multiple attacks 1 flight (second time)
3165 25 2016-12-25
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Bax
lvl.4
Flight distance : 749413 ft
Australia

I posted a video recently of a crow aggressively chasing and hitting my Mavic.

Yesterday I had theee take interest, 1 of these crows chased me and attacked three times, it actually seemed to wait for me to return to land

Yesterday's flight

First bird attack (and hit)

Has anyone else had this much trouble? Australia here, maybe I am thinking its nesting season?

I will avoid this location for now.
Do the decal stickers actually work?
2016-12-25
Use props
Bax
lvl.4
Australia

These are the decals I mean

IMG_0658.PNG
2016-12-26
Use props
Bax
lvl.4
Australia

There seem to be many available from various sellers, if anyone has any experience, do they work? Any colour better?

Thanks
2016-12-26
Use props
Bax
lvl.4
Australia

Are there any other known ways to prevent birds?

Help really would be great. Every flight in my area J seem to attract bird interest and very keen to fly.

Would DJI care cover a bird strike?
2016-12-26
Use props
hridge
lvl.3
Flight distance : 17651 ft
United States

I would guess ones with owl, hawk, falcon and eagle type schemes. Preadator.
2016-12-26
Use props
Bax
lvl.4
Australia

I may try, I am being told in another forum that it is not nesting and just a territorial thing with these birds.

If this is the case, I'd rather not take chances. I will try to avoid tree areas I guess but Australia is covered In trees
2016-12-26
Use props
DINGO DOWN UNDA
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3058816 ft
Australia

Bax Posted at 2016-12-27 07:51
I may try, I am being told in another forum that it is not nesting and just a territorial thing with these birds.

If this is the case, I'd rather not take chances. I will try to avoid tree areas I guess but Australia is covered In trees

Those Crows still hassling you?? Nothing the old shotgun wouldnt fix.... I did have some probs with them too. In the end I ended up chasing them with the Phantom....whenever they see me pull up now in my 4x4 they take off and sit in the trees and just watch....
2016-12-26
Use props
Bax
lvl.4
Australia

DINGO DOWN UNDA Posted at 2016-12-27 06:03
Those Crows still hassling you?? Nothing the old shotgun wouldnt fix.... I did have some probs with them too. In the end I ended up chasing them with the Phantom....whenever they see me pull up now in my 4x4 they take off and sit in the trees and just watch....

Haha!

I did wonder if aggressive Mavic attack flying towards them may scare them off and let me take control of the air space for a while. I really didn't want to chop a crow up though.

Do CASA approve of mounting shotguns to drones yet?
Would it void warranty
2016-12-26
Use props
fansf0572733
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2098566 ft
United States

I heard that bird attacks can be prevented by installing a shiny adhesive on the aircraft. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bird-Rep ... :g:NQkAAOSwUEVYC8mX
2016-12-26
Use props
Bax
lvl.4
Australia

fansf0572733 Posted at 2016-12-27 07:35
I heard that bird attacks can be prevented by installing a shiny adhesive on the aircraft. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bird-Repellent-Scare-Tape-Keep-Birds-Away-With-New-Reflective-Holographic-Tape-/262686905681?hash=item3d295c1551:g:NQkAAOSwUEVYC8mX

Thank you!

This is the kind of thing I was thinking of.
Have you tried them?
2016-12-26
Use props
Bax
lvl.4
Australia

I am ordering a cheap set to test. Will update.

I would much prefer to keep the Mavic original if anyone has other ideas to avoid birds.

Thanks
2016-12-27
Use props
Aeroworks
New

United States

I have often wondered if those ultrasonic deer whistles you can put on cars would work.  While in forward flight the whistle would make a loud ultrasonic noise which may startle birds enough to stay away or not attack.

2016-12-27
Use props
MarcusPolus
lvl.2
United States

Aeroworks Posted at 2016-12-27 09:30
I have often wondered if those ultrasonic deer whistles you can put on cars would work.  While in forward flight the whistle would make a loud ultrasonic noise which may startle birds enough to stay away or not attack.

https://static.grainger.com/rp/s/is/image/Grainger/1EYY5_AS01?$zmmain$[/img]

those would look horrible on it I think
2016-12-27
Use props
Blade Breaker 0
lvl.2

United States

Had some pigeons chasing mine around last week. Was a blast to go after them. Mavic is faster than them for sure!
2016-12-27
Use props
Bax
lvl.4
Australia

Aeroworks Posted at 2016-12-27 22:30

https://static.grainger.com/rp/s/is/image/Grainger/1EYY5_AS01?$zmmain$[/img]

I was thinking the same thing, we have them here for the kangaroos, little black plastic things. They are light and small, would need to be angled correct but I may try this.
2016-12-27
Use props
Bax
lvl.4
Australia

Blade Breaker 0 Posted at 2016-12-28 03:46
Had some pigeons chasing mine around last week. Was a blast to go after them. Mavic is faster than them for sure!

Ha ha, I had the same with a huge school of small birds. As soon as I launched they would swarm and I'd race off with a black cloud of birds following.
2016-12-27
Use props
Bax
lvl.4
Australia

MarcusPolus Posted at 2016-12-28 03:40
those would look horrible on it I think

The ones I know of are very small, on top would look like devil horns.. may help scare everything away
2016-12-27
Use props
MarcusPolus
lvl.2
United States

Bax Posted at 2016-12-27 16:54
Ha ha, I had the same with a huge school of small birds. As soon as I launched they would swarm and I'd race off with a black cloud of birds following.

you need a secondary cam to show that, Ill like to see that sounds pretty cool
2016-12-27
Use props
Bax
lvl.4
Australia

I think I had the OSMO on the chest, I'll look through the footage.
It was pretty crazy, maybe I'll risk a trip back there to try.

I am going to test tomorrow with a new syma (white drone) I picked up, fly it carefully in the same area as the crows, I also have a black SYMA same size. I'll put them both up and test if it's a colour thing with the crow.
2016-12-27
Use props
DINGO DOWN UNDA
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3058816 ft
Australia

Bax Posted at 2016-12-27 09:17
Haha!

I did wonder if aggressive Mavic attack flying towards them may scare them off and let me take control of the air space for a while. I really didn't want to chop a crow up though.

Slap that Mavic into Sports mode and rip it up em....Crows dont like being bullied and will soon get the message to bugger off. If you chop one up with the props at least you will have a good dinner of diced Crow....just remember to chuck in a rock when cooking to make the meat softer...Mwahaha!!!
                                                                                                                                                                  Cheers mate...
2016-12-27
Use props
Bent Kangaroo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 362510 ft
Australia

Bax Posted at 2016-12-28 05:53
I was thinking the same thing, we have them here for the kangaroos, little black plastic things. They are light and small, would need to be angled correct but I may try this.

Try fitting them in a vertical position on the either the front or rear legs so that the air forced form props go into the device. ie) below the props in the air flow.
This will still retain the noise or frequency while the mavic is stationary or moving.
2016-12-27
Use props
Bax
lvl.4
Australia

Bent Kangaroo Posted at 2016-12-28 15:38
Try fitting them in a vertical position on the either the front or rear legs so that the air forced form props go into the device. ie) below the props in the air flow.
This will still retain the noise or frequency while the mavic is stationary or moving.

I was thinking of trying to claim the sky in some aggressive sports fly. Need to wait till a few more Mavic are shipped and hit them with numbers, full squad attack

Regarding placement of the whistle things, I think below the blades will work well. This should be a constant source of wind.
2016-12-28
Use props
cluc
lvl.3
Flight distance : 85682 ft
Australia

Hey Bax, did you end up getting your decals and have they worked?

You must've flew over or near the nest... The pies here in Melb are a pain.
2017-1-30
Use props
hridge
lvl.3
Flight distance : 17651 ft
United States

Bax Posted at 2016-12-27 23:10
I think I had the OSMO on the chest, I'll look through the footage.
It was pretty crazy, maybe I'll risk a trip back there to try.

Heres my color scheme. No attacks yet.. http://forum.dji.com/thread-77207-1-1.html
2017-1-30
Use props
Defender4he1
lvl.2
Flight distance : 466 ft
Australia

Bax Posted at 2016-12-27 13:53

Put a Hyclone on as well get an extra 30% battery  and kph increase
2017-1-30
Use props
MC701
lvl.2
France

Well, mine have never been attacked, but I am flying to chase birds off crops... I am always the aggressor. Not cruising around nesting areas.

Birds are fairly sensitive when they are in crops and my Mini makes plenty of noise, but I am using a battery powered sports whistle that I removed from its housing for a little more. I have no control over it and it is always on.
2022-2-22
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules