2757 23 2016-12-26
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Aero Flow - Ima
lvl.2
Flight distance : 2728835 ft
Brazil

Good Morning,
I come here at this pilot shrine to ask for help to end a doubt.
I have a Phantom 4, I've always flown the DJI drones and I've never been there before. Everything went very well until Gimbal died in the air. After resetting the drone, everything went back to normal. But I really wanted to understand why.
I count on your wisdom! Thank you!

2016-12-26
Use props
MrPinaColada
lvl.4
Flight distance : 790082 ft
United States

I would've though it would've been a loose connection between the gimbal and whatever is regulating the battery, but if it's happened multiple times in this same spot it I really have no idea what it would be from.
2016-12-26
Use props
jwt-873
Second Officer
Flight distance : 6754350 ft
Canada

I've had my P4 since last May. I've made over 230 flights.  

My gimbal has become 'disconnected' much like in your video. But, it has only happened once.  It occurred last summer in the middle of a flight.  I reset it and it has never happened again.

Like you, I have no idea why it happened.
2016-12-26
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

May I know how long you've owned it? it's never crashed or hard landing before, right?
If you fly it in other open location, how about the performance?
Is there any error message on the APP screen at that moment?

2016-12-27
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

jwt-873 Posted at 2016-12-27 05:22
I've had my P4 since last May. I've made over 230 flights.  

My gimbal has become 'disconnected' much like in your video. But, it has only happened once.  It occurred last summer in the middle of a flight.  I reset it and it has never happened again.

It seems a false alarm, if it never happens again, please do not worry about it.
2016-12-27
Use props
boykintom
lvl.3
Flight distance : 124656 ft
United States

I had the same problem, my gimbal stopped working in midair.  After landing and turning off and on, I've not had it happen again.  I do get a small twitch of the gimbal if it is pointed straight down.
2016-12-27
Use props
Aero Flow - Ima
lvl.2
Brazil

DJI Natalia Posted at 2016-12-27 09:59
May I know how long you've owned it? it's never crashed or hard landing before, right?
If you fly it in other open location, how about the performance?
Is there any error message on the APP screen at that moment?

Bought it at launch. I've flown a lot!
Never hit or crashed, drone is 100%.
Never happened before, and I still have not flown again to confirm this.
No log message stating what happened.I was informed by DJI's call to calibrate everything. I'll do that tomorrow to confirm.
2016-12-27
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

Aero Flow - Ima Posted at 2016-12-28 08:57
Bought it at launch. I've flown a lot!
Never hit or crashed, drone is 100%.
Never happened before, and I still have not flown again to confirm this.

OK, please keep us posted.
2016-12-27
Use props
Lethal
Second Officer
Flight distance : 71096 ft
Australia

Same thing happened to me just once - landed AC , re calibrated gimbal and no problems since.
Maybe the gimbal fairies at play?
2016-12-27
Use props
jorgerodrigues
lvl.2
Flight distance : 181781 ft
Switzerland

RE: Gimbal problem

boykintom Posted at 2016-12-27 14:09
I had the same problem, my gimbal stopped working in midair.  After landing and turning off and on, I've not had it happen again.  I do get a small twitch of the gimbal if it is pointed straight down.

Hi there, I also have the same "glitch" when the camera is pointing down sometimes... anyone has any idea what it could be???
2016-12-28
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

The problem has been reported, and we are looking into the case, it seems the problem is related to the gimbal firmware .
Thanks for you feedback again!
2016-12-29
Use props
墨老爷子
DJI R&D Squad

Hong Kong

We have notice this phenomenon , and we are looking into this, it seems there is a bug in the gimbal firmware , thanks for you feedback!
2016-12-29
Use props
boykintom
lvl.3
United States

To be clear, is the firmware bug responsible for both the gimbal failure and the twitch or glitch when pointed straight down?
2016-12-29
Use props
F.KOK
Second Officer
Flight distance : 18954370 ft
  • >>>
South Africa

Hello it also happened to my Phantom 4 gimbal 2 times now in midair. I restart and then it was ok.
2016-12-29
Use props
tundrwd
lvl.2
United States

Bit of a side question here - does the recalibration of the gymbal fix the "gymbal tilt" issue?  Mine was straight and level until after a firmware upgrade.  Now it isn't.  I'm still feeling things out, and trying to take it easy (don't know about you, but $1000 is a chunk 'o change for me).
2016-12-29
Use props
Augustus Brian
lvl.4
Flight distance : 397592 ft
United States

DJI Natalia Posted at 2016-12-29 00:13
The problem has been reported, and we are looking into the case, it seems the problem is related to the gimbal firmware .
Thanks for you feedback again!

DJI_Natalia:

With my Phantom 4, there are times when the C1 button fails to operate the gimbal straight down or straight horizontal, as though it is disconnected/open. It doesn't happen often, but when it does, I use the wheel. After a gimbal movement by wheel, the C1 begins to operate again. Hardly a deal breaker for me, but thought that you and others could add this anecdote to the collective information bank.

Keep Smiling,

Augustus
2016-12-29
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

Augustus Brian Posted at 2016-12-29 07:21
DJI_Natalia:

With my Phantom 4, there are times when the C1 button fails to operate the gimbal straight down or straight horizontal, as though it is disconnected/open. It doesn't happen often, but when it does, I use the wheel. After a gimbal movement by wheel, the C1 begins to operate again. Hardly a deal breaker for me, but thought that you and others could add this anecdote to the collective information bank.

Please help confirm the aircraft firmware and the APP version.
What mobile device you are using to connect the drone?
Would you please record a short video showing the issue? thanks.
2016-12-29
Use props
RadekP3P
lvl.2
Flight distance : 459439 ft
Poland

I got same problem today ...
2016-12-30
Use props
Aero Flow - Ima
lvl.2
Brazil

any news about the problem?
2017-2-3
Use props
boykintom
lvl.3
United States

Aero Flow - Ima Posted at 2017-2-3 05:21
any news about the problem?

I would also like to know if there is news or a resolution of this problem.  For the record, so far the gimbal failure has not happened again, but the twitch at the straight down position still occurs now and then.
2017-2-5
Use props
Aero Flow - Ima
lvl.2
Brazil

boykintom Posted at 2017-2-5 04:34
I would also like to know if there is news or a resolution of this problem.  For the record, so far the gimbal failure has not happened again, but the twitch at the straight down position still occurs now and then.

I have 100% sure that gimbal get stuck because of the gimbal lock. Somehow it forces the camera in a bad way. After I bought PolarPro's, I never had this problem again.
2017-3-6
Use props
Punchbuggy
First Officer
Flight distance : 483166 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Aero Flow - Ima Posted at 2017-3-6 17:14
I have 100% sure that gimbal get stuck because of the gimbal lock. Somehow it forces the camera in a bad way. After I bought PolarPro's, I never had this problem again.

Good to hear that you haven't seen this issue for a while. But what do you mean by 'gimbal lock'?
2017-3-6
Use props
Aero Flow - Ima
lvl.2
Brazil

Punchbuggy Posted at 2017-3-6 17:41
Good to hear that you haven't seen this issue for a while. But what do you mean by 'gimbal lock'?

This is the DJI's gimbal lock.

and this is the PolarPro's gimbal lock.

What I mean is that when stored, the DJI's original gimbal lock puts pressure on the camera, causing these "clicks". If you notice when you take off the gimbal lock, sometimes the camera makes that popping noise in your hand.
With the PolarPro gimbal lock, I never had this problem again!

2017-3-7
Use props
Punchbuggy
First Officer
Flight distance : 483166 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Aero Flow - Ima Posted at 2017-3-7 12:34
This is the DJI's gimbal lock.
[view_image]
and this is the PolarPro's gimbal lock.

OK, got it - thanks. Interesting, as by my understanding that suggests the camera is off-centre and the DJI lock forces it straight on application.
2017-3-7
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules