joystick protectors - anyone tried out the various options?
1149 9 2016-12-26
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
GMG
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3632605 ft
France

I'm looking at getting some protectors and there's a lot of 3d printed options out there on ebay.  I've seen some references to individual options, but was wondering if anyone's ordered a few and has a point of view on which are better or worse than others?
2016-12-26
Use props
devGOD
lvl.3
Flight distance : 200577 ft
United States

They're really not needed... just another way to make money off of excited owners. The sticks are meant to move. I have also seen screen protectors for the controller screen. Not sure why that would be needed..
2016-12-26
Use props
JustABill
lvl.1

United States

I cut the cardboard insert that the controller rests in from the original box out and use it as a joystick protector.... held on with a rubber band... it's cheap and works great.
2016-12-27
Use props
trance728-
lvl.4
Flight distance : 298048 ft
  • >>>
United States

JustABill Posted at 2016-12-27 09:32
I cut the cardboard insert that the controller rests in from the original box out and use it as a joystick protector.... held on with a rubber band... it's cheap and works great.

Did the exact same thing, it's the perfect protector and came with the Mavic.
2016-12-27
Use props
MarcusPolus
lvl.2
United States

I have some, unfortunaly I didnt get my Mavic yet
2016-12-27
Use props
dana5
lvl.3
Flight distance : 14354 ft
United States

I think it's a natural guy thing, when you get something cool and new, you feel the need to customize it in some way, justifying it by saying, "I could have designed this thing better"

But things like these joystick protectors are nothing but a way for people to make money off a cheap piece of plastic. If you know someone with a 3D printer, then go ahead and print one yourself, but I would never spend the $10 on something that is just not necessary.

If you feel you need to accessorize, then consider a screen protector for the controller, or put the money towards a case with custom foam lining, or landing gear extenders, or the lanyard adaptor... Really, anything that you get some sort of value from.

Now, I HAVE seen even more useless Mavic accessories, like the motor covers, requiring you to remove the props after every flight, or the battery connector cover, for the drone, so that no dust gets in the connector when you have no battery installed... Completely useless products. But, if there are people out there to buy them, why not make and offer them???

I originally put the sticker skins into the same category... However, someone pointed out that if you wrap the Mavic in that cheapo looking, orange, pho-carbon-fiber sticker wrap, it can keep birds from attacking the drone. Not sure if this is proven to work or a way to justify completely un-necessary accessories, but it is plausible.
2016-12-27
Use props
Gary Mac
lvl.4
Flight distance : 741683 ft
United States

I pull mine off.  No stress and no expense.  They DO come off!  (First time may require your man-pants)  
2016-12-27
Use props
GMG
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3632605 ft
France

I did a (very) cheap experiment and ordered this, http://www.hobbygaga.com/fr-remo ... dcopter-p273977.htm, for 1 €.  I had low expectations, which were pretty much met.  This fits on loosely and slides easily, without any way to secure it (e.g. no loop to put through a velcro strap).
2017-1-5
Use props
lachyb
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Haha good solutions with the rubber band and the original cardboard. Wish I read this before ordering a 3d printed one off Amazon. Oh well, £2
2017-1-27
Use props
DRONE-flies-YOU
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1450594 ft
United States

GMG Posted at 2017-1-5 05:36
I did a (very) cheap experiment and ordered this, http://www.hobbygaga.com/fr-remote-control-protector-for-dji-mavic-pro-quadcopter-p273977.htm, for 1 €.  I had low expectations, which were pretty much met.  This fits on loosely and slides easily, without any way to secure it (e.g. no loop to put through a velcro strap).

I bought THIS ONE and it is fantastic!  It seems to be a softer plastic (I know that sounds weird) and is perfectly made.  This allows the R/C to be shoved into a tighter bag whilst ensuring the sticks receive NO input/deflection.  The softer plastic couldn't possibly scratch or cause harm to any part of the R/C.
2017-1-27
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules