phantom 4 battery signal error after firmware upgrade
7147 21 2016-12-26
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
mlpdx
lvl.1

United States

One of my two Phantom 4 batteries no longer allows me to fly the Phantom 4 after I upgraded my Phantom to the latest firmware (version V01.02.0601).
I upgraded the Phantom 4 firmware using my iPad, which was running DJI 4.  

The battery that is not working charges normally and shows up as 98% charged on the DJI 4 console when I power up the Phantom.   The Phantom goes through the normal startup sequence , but just when I would expect to get a "Ready to Fly", I get a "Battery Error " indication instead.  The battery level still shows 98%, but is now displayed in red on the DJI Go ipad display. The battery shows all 4 led lights lit as normal when fully charged.  When I select the error in the DJI Go App, I get the message:

"Battery Signal Error. Ensure that your battery is produced by DJI and and check the battery connection. Contact DJI Support if this persists after restart."

Multiple restarts, removals, re-attempts, and a couple of weeks later (busy life), the same thing is still happening with this one battery.  I have recharged it (although it was not drained much -- multiple restarts and letting the aircraft idle have brought it down to the low nineties a time or two, but never lower than that).   Everything except for flight on the Phantom works normally while the defective battery powers it -- it records video and the gimbal still works, and it sends the video live back to the ipad.     

My other battery continues to charge and work fine.

The bad battery serial number is 082AD250310CZA
The good battery serial number is 082AD2503109XX

Both the Phantom 4 and the and the spare battery were purchased at Apple stores earlier this year, and besides an intermittent but persistent horizon tilt issue on the Phantom 4, both have performed flawlessly until now.

2016-12-26
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

Just to clarify, has you tried restoring the unit to default to see if it helps rectify the issue. Could you happen to provide a screenshot of the battery section in the Go app?
2016-12-26
Use props
fans19404644
New

United States

I'm having the exact same issue. I purchased a brand new phantom 4 direct from DJI. I unboxed it, assembled it, charged the batteries, and then powered it on. The DJI go 4 app required firmware updates to the remote, UAV, and battery before it would let me proceed with flying. All completed successfully. Upon completing the battery firmware update I received the error and symptoms described exactly as above. This drone has never flown or even spun up the rotors due to the defective product / firmware so certainly not caused by a crash.

I have not tried to restore to default. How do you do that?

See attached for photos.
2016-12-27
Use props
fanse9ac2261
lvl.1
United Kingdom

any news? I'm having the same issue
2016-12-28
Use props
fans19404644
New

United States

I finally figured out (unfortunately through trial and error rather than DJI support) that there is a program that is exclusively on PC or MAC (not tablet / mobile) called DJI assistant 2. It can be downloaded via DJI's website even though there is very little description of what it is for. Through there you can change the firmware version on the UAV /  battery when you connect the UAV to your PC with a USB cable. Installing the software required admin rights and approving a significant number of unverified drivers.

After getting it installed I tried "refreshing" the newest firmware. This succeeded but did not fix the issue. I then tried to "downgrade" to the prior firmware. The installation actually failed and I assume that the drone ended up resetting to factory defaults. Either way it resolved the issue. I recommend if you're having the above battery connection issue, use DJI assistant 2 and select the "restore defaults" option on the bottom of the firmware screen.

All in all I can confirm it is a firmware problem. It's disappointing that DJI support was not more proactive in helping to resolve this but I'm glad I got mine fixed.
2016-12-28
Use props
kk6ou
lvl.2
Flight distance : 62 ft
United States

fans19404644 Posted at 2016-12-28 21:28
I finally figured out (unfortunately through trial and error rather than DJI support) that there is a program that is exclusively on PC or MAC (not tablet / mobile) called DJI assistant 2. It can be downloaded via DJI's website even though there is very little description of what it is for. Through there you can change the firmware version on the UAV /  battery when you connect the UAV to your PC with a USB cable. Installing the software required admin rights and approving a significant number of unverified drivers.

After getting it installed I tried "refreshing" the newest firmware. This succeeded but did not fix the issue. I then tried to "downgrade" to the prior firmware. The installation actually failed and I assume that the drone ended up resetting to factory defaults. Either way it resolved the issue. I recommend if you're having the above battery connection issue, use DJI assistant 2 and select the "restore defaults" option on the bottom of the firmware screen.

I am having the same problem.  I recently upgraded the firmware and now get a battery signal error on one of my batteries.  I originally had it on 2 batteries but downgraded one and then upgraded from DJI Assistant 2 and it started working.  My 3rd battery refuses to work.  I wish DJI would fix this.  
Battery Model #PH4-5350mAh-15.2V
SN: 082AD4J0310XQ3
Firmware with issue: V01.02.0602

Anyone have a fix for this yet?
2016-12-28
Use props
dmarnel60
lvl.1
United States

Same issue here, Battery Signal Error with firmware V01.02.0602. Downgrading to V01.02.0503 works.Battery S/N: 082AD1V0310C9F
2016-12-30
Use props
feuillet
lvl.1
Flight distance : 5984 ft
Switzerland

Same issue here, Battery Signal Error with firmware V01.02.0602. Downgrading to V01.02.0503 works.Battery S/N: 082AD250310HNS
2017-1-8
Use props
marctronixx
lvl.4
Flight distance : 210118 ft
  • >>>
United States

are these issues with the newer higher capacity p4pro batteries or non p4 pro batteries?
2017-1-8
Use props
feuillet
lvl.1
Flight distance : 5984 ft
Switzerland

marctronixx Posted at 2017-1-8 22:30
are these issues with the newer higher capacity p4pro batteries or non p4 pro batteries?

Regular Phantom 4 Intelligent Flight Battery.
2017-1-9
Use props
dmarnel60
lvl.1
United States

feuillet Posted at 2017-1-9 03:56
Regular Phantom 4 Intelligent Flight Battery.

I just received a replacement battery for the one I mentioned above that was giving a bad signal error, and the new battery works fine with firmware 01.02.0602. So I popped in the bad batter just to confirm it was the bad one, and lo and behold it is now working with the latest firmware. I don't get it.
2017-1-15
Use props
freelanderuk
lvl.3
Flight distance : 177720 ft
United Kingdom

How did you get the replacement battery ,was this from dji ,if so how did you go about getting it changed
Thanks
2017-1-15
Use props
floridajustin
lvl.1
United States

Same issue here, brand new P4, came with 3 batteries, 2 of them get the error message.
2017-1-18
Use props
floridajustin
lvl.1
United States

OK, rolled the firmware all the way back to 01.01.0410. They work now! So odd...now the question is do I waste the time updating the firmware one at a time again. So annoying.
Why doesn't the DJI support help try this? Instead the steps they had me do accomplished nothing.
2017-1-18
Use props
bajaecotours
lvl.1
United States

JANUARY 29:
Just received my P4 Pro...one battery fails to update and will not fly the aircraft...this has happened to me on the P3 & P4 in the past...seems one of my 4 or 5 batteries is a DUD...that's a pretty bad % rate...20% to 25% battery failure ratio.

2017-1-29
Use props
mlpdx
lvl.1

United States

bajaecotours Posted at 2017-1-29 11:07
JANUARY 29:
Just received my P4 Pro...one battery fails to update and will not fly the aircraft...this has happened to me on the P3 & P4 in the past...seems one of my 4 or 5 batteries is a DUD...that's a pretty bad % rate...20% to 25% battery failure ratio.

Apologies for the lack of updates -- I couldn't find this thread that I created for some reason, and then I got so busy with work I have not had time to pay attention to my drone.  Anyway, I contacted DJI online support and they recommended I create a case and send the battery in.  I just created the case, and they are sending me a shipping label to send the battery in. In the meantime, my drone continues to function perfectly with the other battery that I have.

Again, the battery started giving the "Battery Signal Error" after I upgraded the drone.  It is a standard P4 battery, and it still charges, and still indicates battery charge level on the DJI Go 4 App, even though it won't let me fly with it.  Here's hoping DJI resolves the problem quickly for me; I will post updates.
2017-2-19
Use props
taurus35
lvl.4
Flight distance : 136417 ft
United Kingdom

At least you had some sort of life in your batteries. I have received 4 brand new Phantom 4 batteries & out of those, 3 were dead on arrival...no charge indication lights, wouldn't power on & wouldn't charge or power on when connected to DJI charger {:4_142:}
2017-2-19
Use props
tofutim
lvl.1
United States

marctronixx Posted at 2017-1-8 22:30

I'm having problems. we just received our Phantom 4 Pro and immediately we upgraded to 01.03.0418. First from the DJI Go app (which failed), then from Assistant which succeeded. However, I now see the following:

Compass [Calibrate] Error
Aircrat Battery Invalid Battery
Aircraft Battery Temperature N/A
Gimbal Status Gimbal cannot receive Main Controller data

I cannot refresh the update or downgrade as the Assistant now says "Battery power level must be greater than 50%. Recharge battery and retry." Presumably I wouldn't have been able to do the upgrade without adequate battery life. The battery is fully charged and has 4 green bars.

We have yet to fly the drone and the sons, well, disappointment is an understatement.

Battery is PH4-5870mAh-15.2V
0DQADAR0310289

Drone is Phantom 4 Pro WM331A
0AXDDCP0B20296

Both compasses say "Disconnected" in DJI GO 4 App (iOS)
Battery connections look clean
Gimbal does seem controllable through the Controller

2017-3-24
Use props
P2-I1-P4
lvl.3
Flight distance : 2630909 ft
  • >>>
United States

I am having the exact same issue, I called DJI and they said I have has my battery too long, so they are not helping out. I've had the battery a year but it has only been charged est. 15 times so it is not used up. I wish DJI would help out the customers that now have DJI's $170.00 paperweight (P4 Battery).
2017-6-25
Use props
adhanny26
New

Indonesia

Hello iam has a same problem, after upgrade to V01.02.0602, i have notification battery signal error, and now no option to downgrade.. anyone can solve this problem now? why DJI not allowed to downgrade if this problem come after update to  V01.02.0602. Now my phantom cannot fly again.. what the solution is replacing battery with another battery?
2017-6-28
Use props
djiuser_X6PO7oOikorD
New

India

I am also having the same problem. Battery signal error. What can be done. DJI please advise. Should I go ahead to buy new batteries. Or is it the power board connecting the battery terminals gone bad. How to get a replacement board. Not the entire board but only the power board.
2018-11-17
Use props
djiuser_X6PO7oOikorD
New

India

I have tried all hardware cleanup and firmware reset and upgrade. No use. Same error persists. Can u send me a new power board, tell me how can I pay or advice from where can I get it.
2018-11-17
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules