What is new "Propeller Cage" option in DGI GO 4?
4059 20 2016-12-27
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
WolfgangStiller
Second Officer
Flight distance : 599416 ft
United States

I did a search but couldn't get a clear indication of what this is for. I'm also looking for more details on exactly how the new "Cinematic mode" is supposed to work. I see there are some settings that influence this. Thanks!

2016-12-27
Use props
jayh410
lvl.4
Flight distance : 11266 ft
United States

I gave a brief overview and according to scoobydude (thanks) "changing to cinematic mode will slow down the speed of any actions and the mavic will not pitch so much when accelerating and stopping, the yaw speed will be slowed down to get those killer pans as well. "
2016-12-27
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

I believe it's for prop guards that may be in the works.
I've inquired to see exactly what it's for.
2016-12-27
Use props
jdukes
lvl.2
Flight distance : 6044049 ft
United States

I tested it out and it caused my mavic to shake after take off .  have you tried it?
2016-12-27
Use props
Margleman
lvl.2

United Kingdom

jdukes Posted at 2016-12-27 22:31
I tested it out and it caused my mavic to shake after take off .  have you tried it?

Seems obvious to me that you would select this option if you have prop guards installed and leave it off if you don't.
2016-12-27
Use props
WolfgangStiller
Second Officer
United States

jdukes Posted at 2016-12-27 15:31

No, I never just try undocumented options like this.  According to a post over on the mavicpilots forum, this option is present in the GUI but doesn't do anything yet.  However, based on what you are telling us, it seems to do something after all (maybe it's not quite ready yet though :-) )
2016-12-27
Use props
Just Drone It
lvl.1
Flight distance : 15518 ft
Australia

In my opinion they should not put options in the setting unless they do something. It just confuses everyone!
2017-2-1
Use props
WolfgangStiller
Second Officer
United States

Just Drone It Posted at 2017-2-1 16:32
In my opinion they should not put options in the setting unless they do something. It just confuses everyone!

Agreed.   It's even worse if the option isn't fully implemented.
2017-2-2
Use props
CuaC
lvl.4
Flight distance : 369626 ft
Germany

as far as I know it has to be selected when you're using prop guards.
2017-2-2
Use props
BuzzCut
lvl.4

United States

WolfgangStiller Posted at 2017-2-2 08:11
Agreed.   It's even worse if the option isn't fully implemented.

Yep.  It's weird to think that there are developers working on features based on a requirement set and they somehow get fully (or partially) released to the general public without the sales, marketing, or customer care elements of the business knowing about them.  I'm not aware of a parallel for that.
2017-2-2
Use props
WolfgangStiller
Second Officer
United States

BuzzCut Posted at 2017-2-2 09:29
Yep.  It's weird to think that there are developers working on features based on a requirement set and they somehow get fully (or partially) released to the general public without the sales, marketing, or customer care elements of the business knowing about them.  I'm not aware of a parallel for that.

Perhaps if the intent is to let us know this option will be coming, it would be best show it but have it disabled (not selectable) until it is ready to go and documented.  There's no way anyone should be trying undocumented settings.
2017-2-3
Use props
DroneFlying
Second Officer
Flight distance : 10774613 ft
United States

Has anyone tried it with the prop guards that are already on the market? Or is it somehow specific to DJI's not-yet-released version?
2017-2-3
Use props
Jason Lane
lvl.4
Flight distance : 260144 ft
Australia

DroneFlying Posted at 2017-2-3 10:15
Has anyone tried it with the prop guards that are already on the market? Or is it somehow specific to DJI's not-yet-released version?

I finally got the chance to test it out today with my Ebay prop guards. When the prop guard option was enabled, it still produced the bad vibration that others have seen when the option is enabled with no prop guards.

I really can't think of what the purpose of enabling that option could be... My Mavic flies perfectly fine with the prop guards on without enabling that setting.
2017-2-4
Use props
Angelo26
lvl.4
Flight distance : 799718 ft
Austria

The prop-guards available are third-party guards to protect the props (e.g. at indoor-flights) but have no influence on the aerodynamics of the prop-wash. So selecting this option of course will cause the known bad vibrations ..................

This would be different when the prop-guards are designed as "ducted fans" ( thrust-vectoring nacelles ) since stabilizing the MP by prop-rpm would behave completely different.

Maybe DJI has something like "ducted fan prop-guards" in the works (would enhance speed and agility) .........................
2017-2-4
Use props
bunny too
lvl.4
Flight distance : 13442 ft
United States

Angelo26 Posted at 2017-2-4 01:49
The prop-guards available are third-party guards to protect the props (e.g. at indoor-flights) but have no influence on the aerodynamics of the prop-wash. So selecting this option of course will cause the known bad vibrations ..................

This would be different when the prop-guards are designed as "ducted fans" ( thrust-vectoring nacelles ) since stabilizing the MP by prop-rpm would behave completely different.

I like the way you think Angelo26, a Mavic with thrust vectoring nacelles... worked for the Osprey (eventually) or a ducted fan like the F-35.  All excellent ideas, I am interested to see what is released.
Regards,
-d.
2017-2-4
Use props
DroneFlying
Second Officer
Flight distance : 10774613 ft
United States

Jason Lane Posted at 2017-2-4 01:33
I finally got the chance to test it out today with my Ebay prop guards. When the prop guard option was enabled, it still produced the bad vibration that others have seen when the option is enabled with no prop guards.

I really can't think of what the purpose of enabling that option could be... My Mavic flies perfectly fine with the prop guards on without enabling that setting.

Interesting. That strongly implies that -- as Angelo speculated -- the DJI prop guards will be significantly different from the ones already available.
2017-2-4
Use props
WolfgangStiller
Second Officer
United States

DroneFlying Posted at 2017-2-4 12:13
Interesting. That strongly implies that -- as Angelo speculated -- the DJI prop guards will be significantly different from the ones already available.

Either that or the code behind the option is just not ready to be used yet...
2017-2-4
Use props
UtopianCrew
lvl.2
Flight distance : 5213 ft
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-12-27 09:30
I believe it's for prop guards that may be in the works.
I've inquired to see exactly what it's for.

These prop guards might fold up and the shaking may be to expand them. Just a guess idk
2017-2-4
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

UtopianCrew Posted at 2017-2-4 16:22
These prop guards might fold up and the shaking may be to expand them. Just a guess idk

What shaking are you referring to?
2017-2-6
Use props
Angelo26
lvl.4
Flight distance : 799718 ft
Austria

DJI-Ken Posted at 2017-2-6 06:54
What shaking are you referring to?

prop guard switch enabled in DJI GO
2017-2-6
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

Angelo26 Posted at 2017-2-6 07:27
prop guard switch enabled in DJI GO

In the MC Settings, then Advanced Settings is the Prop cage enable/disable, Make sure it's disabled.
2017-2-6
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules