Samsung J3 (6) V
8955 25 2016-12-27
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Wailer
lvl.1
United States

Will the above phone work with the Mavic Pro controller and GO app?  I just got my Mavic, and can't get it to connect.  I am using the correct cable and followed the procedures carefully, but can't get it to work.  I searched for this phone in the forums, but found nothing.  If it is not compatible, what would be the cheapest tablet for FULL function?  Android or Apple?  Model?  Seems there should be a phone / tablet compatabliltiy list SOMEWHERE on the DJI Mavic site, but I have had no luck finding one!  Thanks in advance!
~Wailer
2016-12-27
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

I'm sorry you are not able to get your device connected. There is a list of recommended devices on the website in the Mavic specs.
Can you go into the settings and enable Developer Options.
http://www.dji.com/mavic/info#specs

Here are the recommended devices.

ios: iPhone 5s, iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 6s, iPhone 6s Plus, iPhone 7, iPhone 7 Plus, iPod touch 6, iPad Pro, iPad Air, iPad Air Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad mini 2, iPad mini 2 Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad Air 2, iPad Air 2 Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad mini 3, iPad mini 3 Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad mini 4, and iPad mini 4 Wi-Fi + Cellular. This app is optimized for iPhone 5s, iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 6s, iPhone 6s Plus, iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus.
Android: Samsung tabs 705c, Samsung S6, Samsung S5, Samsung NOTE4, Samsung NOTE3, Google Nexus 9, Google Nexus 7 II, Ascend Mate7, Huawei P8 Max, Huawei Mate 8, Nubia Z7 mini, SONY Xperia Z3, MI 3, MI PAD, Smartisan T1.
*Support for additional Android devices available as testing and development continues.
2016-12-27
Use props
Wailer
lvl.1
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-12-28 06:33
I'm sorry you are not able to get your device connected. There is a list of recommended devices on the website in the Mavic specs.

Wow!  Thanks for the quick reply Ken!  Yes I went into the developer options and it was already enabled.  There are a lot of options within Developer Options.  Is there something in particular I should be looking for?  I don't see my brand new quad-core phone in the list!  :\
2016-12-27
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

Wailer Posted at 2016-12-27 15:49
Wow!  Thanks for the quick reply Ken!  Yes I went into the developer options and it was already enabled.  There are a lot of options within Developer Options.  Is there something in particular I should be looking for?  I don't see my brand new quad-core phone in the list!  :\

When you plug the phone in do you get a charge icon for a few seconds?
Also, when I had my Samsung Galaxy S6 with older firmware, you had to swipe down from the top and tap the USB for Charging icon and try changing to the other options.
See if you have those options.
2016-12-27
Use props
Wailer
lvl.1
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-12-28 07:01
When you plug the phone in do you get a charge icon for a few seconds?
Also, when I had my Samsung Galaxy S6 with older firmware, you had to swipe down from the top and tap the USB for Charging icon and try changing to the other options.
See if you have those options.

I didn't notice it trying to go into charge mode when I plugged it in to the cable.  I looked on the phone, and under USB Configuration it has "Charging" checked.  The other options are MTP (Media Transfer Protocol); PTP (Picture Transfer Protocol); and RNDIS (USB Ethernet).  I tried changing it from "Charging" to MTP (Media Transfer Protocol)?  It still did not work.  
I am getting an error that says the controller is not able to access data on the phone.  This is a brand new phone that meets all the minimum requirements (that I can find) for Mavic Pro.  It's a little light on RAM (1.5GB), but the Android version is higher than needed and the quad-core should be powerful enough.  I believe it has to be a setting somewhere.  I just can't figure out what.

2016-12-27
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

Wailer Posted at 2016-12-27 16:33
I didn't notice it trying to go into charge mode when I plugged it in to the cable.  I looked on the phone, and under USB Configuration it has "Charging" checked.  The other options are MTP (Media Transfer Protocol); PTP (Picture Transfer Protocol); and RNDIS (USB Ethernet).  Should I maybe change "Charging" to MTP (Media Transfer Protocol)?
I am getting an error that says the controller is not able to access data on the phone.  This is a brand new phone that meets all the minimum requirements (that I can find) for Mavic Pro.  It's a little light on RAM (1.5GB), but the Android version is higher than needed and the quad-core should be powerful enough.  I believe it has to be a setting somewhere.  I just can't figure out what.

Yes, try the other options, USB for charging means it will only charge when connected and not use the line for data transfer, which you need it to do.
2016-12-27
Use props
Wailer
lvl.1
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-12-28 08:06
Yes, try the other options, USB for charging means it will only charge when connected and not use the line for data transfer, which you need it to do.

OK, tried that.  Still not able to read data from the phone.  This is nuts.  Gotta be a setting, but I can't find what's stopping it.   I can't believe I'm going to have to buy another phone so I can get one that works with Mavic.  This is getting very expensive!  Especially since I just bought this phone when my old one crapped out.  I also just dropped $100 today on DJI Care Refresh!  I won't be needing that if I can't get off the ground!  LOL!   I never knew this could be such a big issue.
I wonder if the cable could be defective.  Hmmmm.  Not likely.  But, I'm stumped.
2016-12-27
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

Wailer Posted at 2016-12-27 17:37
OK, tried that.  Still not able to read data from the phone.  This is nuts.  Gotta be a setting, but I can't find what's stopping it.   I can't believe I'm going to have to buy another phone so I can get one that works with Mavic.  This is getting very expensive!  Especially since I just bought this phone when my old one crapped out.  I also just dropped $100 today on DJI Care Refresh!  I won't be needing that if I can't get off the ground!  LOL!   I never knew this could be such a big issue.

What you can do is get on an Android forum for your exact phone and ask how to enable the USB port for data transfer. I think it's some kind of security setting on the phone.
Just to be sure, try borrowing an IOS device and connect to the RC just to make sure there's nothing wrong with the USB post on the RC which is slim to none.
2016-12-27
Use props
Wailer
lvl.1
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-12-28 09:34
What you can do is get on an Android forum for your exact phone and ask how to enable the USB port for data transfer. I think it's some kind of security setting on the phone.
Just to be sure, try borrowing an IOS device and connect to the RC just to make sure there's nothing wrong with the USB post on the RC which is slim to none.

Concur.  Will do and advise back.  Thanks Ken!
2016-12-27
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

Wailer Posted at 2016-12-27 20:20
Concur.  Will do and advise back.  Thanks Ken!

No problem, hopefully you can get your phone to work so another one won't be needed.
2016-12-27
Use props
Wailer
lvl.1
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-12-28 13:31
No problem, hopefully you can get your phone to work so another one won't be needed.

OK, so today I visited two different phone repair facilities and spoke to the technicians.  They see the same problem I do.  The phone data port is not passing data back and forth with the controller.  They could not tell me why, or indicate that there was anything that I had missed other than activating DATA TRANSFER PROTOCOL within Developer Options on the phone.  We also tried a different micro USB data cord and it did not work.

I also called SAMSUNG USA cell phone support, and they gave me the standard, "We are not familiar with every app out there, so you will need to contact the company that generated the app for help" response.  That would be DJI of course, so I have come full circle, and my Mavic Pro is still grounded.

This unfortunately leaves me with the distasteful solution of abandoning my brand new Samsunt J3 (6) V, and purchasing a new phone on DJI's "approved" list, at the cost of yet hundreds of more dollars.  I will also have to transfer my cellular service to the new phone or lose some critical functionality of the Mavic Pro.  That does not make me happy and is really detracting from the Mavic Pro experience.  This, and the fact that I have been building and flying my own drones since 2012.  It shouldn't be this hard, and the incompatability issues with a phone that meets all known Mavic Pro criteria is very disappointing.

Any final thoughts from DJI, Ken, before I go raid  my bank account of several hundred dollars and chuck my brand new phone into the crusher?  :\  
2016-12-28
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

Wailer Posted at 2016-12-28 10:38
OK, so today I visited two different phone repair facilities and spoke to the technicians.  They see the same problem I do.  The phone data port is not passing data back and forth with the controller.  They could not tell me why, or indicate that there was anything that I had missed other than activating DATA TRANSFER PROTOCOL within Developer Options on the phone.  We also tried a different micro USB data cord and it did not work.

I also called SAMSUNG USA cell phone support, and they gave me the standard, "We are not familiar with every app out there, so you will need to contact the company that generated the app for help" response.  That would be DJI of course, so I have come full circle, and my Mavic Pro is still grounded.

To be honest, I don't know what to tell you, If you go onto the Facebook Official DJI owners thread or DJI Support page maybe another one of the other techs may have a solution.

My iPhone 7 Plus works awesome, but I find I use my old iPad Mini as it just fits into the controller handles.
You can pick those up for a good deal.
I had a Samsung Galaxy S6 and have always been a Android person, after getting the iPhone I'm very happy.
And the GO app just seemed to flow better when I use an IOS device.
2016-12-28
Use props
Wailer
lvl.1
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-12-29 02:37
To be honest, I don't know what to tell you, If you go onto the Facebook Official DJI owners thread or DJI Support page maybe another one of the other techs may have a solution.

My iPhone 7 Plus works awesome, but I find I use my old iPad Mini as it just fits into the controller handles.

Thanks Ken, for your honest response.  

If I change to another device that isn't connected to cellular coverage, what functionality do I lose with the Mavic?  Follow-me?  Spotlight?  Etc.
Oh, and will the Samsung S6 work?

Regards,
Wailer
2016-12-28
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

Wailer Posted at 2016-12-28 11:52
Thanks Ken, for your honest response.  

If I change to another device that isn't connected to cellular coverage, what functionality do I lose with the Mavic?  Follow-me?  Spotlight?  Etc.

You will lose Follow Me, I think Spotlight will be fine. And you will lose the ability to get map data when you get to your flying field. But that's easily resolved by caching the map area at home on your home WiFi or using your phone as a hotspot and load the maps. So have said they were able to use Follow Me with a Bluetooth GPS but I never verified that.
And if you want to use Follow Me, you can just use Active Track on yourself.
My iPad Mini is WiFi only and I use it way more than my iPhone.
2016-12-28
Use props
Wailer
lvl.1
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-12-29 02:58
You will lose Follow Me, I think Spotlight will be fine. And you will lose the ability to get map data when you get to your flying field. But that's easily resolved by caching the map area at home on your home WiFi or using your phone as a hotspot and load the maps. So have said they were able to use Follow Me with a Bluetooth GPS but I never verified that.
And if you want to use Follow Me, you can just use Active Track on yourself.
My iPad Mini is WiFi only and I use it way more than my iPhone.

OK, Thanks!
2016-12-28
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

No problem, I hope you can get it sorted out without needing another device.
2016-12-28
Use props
z4k4tt4ck
lvl.3
Flight distance : 535 ft
Australia

Wailer Posted at 2016-12-29 01:38

Really your attitude is disgusting you have nobody to blame except yourself your phone is junk you failed to read the Go app supported items list and you are heavily implying that DJI is at fault ?

I can't understand how some users with unsupported devices expect the Go app to work perfectly on their phone/tablet.... There are about 24 000 Android devices out there with different versions of OS plus manufacturer software and hardware ... probably millions of different configurations and you expect DJI to test every single one of them ... hahaha.

"This, and the fact that i have been building and flying my own drones since 2012." WHAT?

Do you also like cheese ? this could possibly have some relevance to the app working on your phone.

... Did you unplug the side usb on the remote before testing the new cable? .... i doubt you are aware of that either.
2016-12-28
Use props
fans093fc0b7
lvl.1
Flight distance : 514373 ft
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-12-28 06:33

Ken

I appreciate all of your comments and help here on the forum.  I appolagize if this has been addressed already but I can't find it anywhere.

DJI has this list of compatible devises for the Mavic Pro (which you have included in your post) All of the tablets listed that i have tried do not fit the controller.  Am I missing something?  Doing something wrong?  I measure my controller and it will handle a device approx 7.5 inches and every tablet I have tried on the list are are 7.75+ inches.  Is there something else I need to be doing to make these work??  Please help.  i have spent a lot of time researching and visiting stores trying to each one.
2016-12-28
Use props
z4k4tt4ck
lvl.3
Flight distance : 535 ft
Australia

fans093fc0b7 Posted at 2016-12-29 03:20
Ken

I appreciate all of your comments and help here on the forum.  I appolagize if this has been addressed already but I can't find it anywhere.

Those devices are supported by the app .. not the mavic controler ... that being said i think tablets like the mini ipad will fit .... if you remove the connection cable on the side.

eg.
2016-12-28
Use props
fans093fc0b7
lvl.1
United States

z4k4tt4ck Posted at 2016-12-29 03:28
Those devices are supported by the app .. not the mavic controler ... that being said i think tablets like the mini ipad will fit .... if you remove the connection cable on the side.

eg. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNT2vabIQoY

That was perfect.  Thank you!
2016-12-28
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

fans093fc0b7 Posted at 2016-12-28 12:20
Ken

The above post is correct, the device list is for the app and what will fit in the device holder.
About the largest that will fit in the device holder is an iPad Mini (that's what I mostly use).
For larger devices, several people and companies have created a tablet holder that fits into the Mavic holder.
Screen Shot 2016-12-28 at 1.00.52 PM.png
2016-12-28
Use props
fans093fc0b7
lvl.1
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-12-29 04:00
The above post is correct, the device list is for the app and what will fit in the device holder.
About the largest that will fit in the device holder is an iPad Mini (that's what I mostly use).
For larger devices, several people and companies have created a tablet holder that fits into the Mavic holder.

Thank you ken!
2016-12-28
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

No problem at all.
2016-12-28
Use props
fansb2e04f7b
lvl.1
Germany

Wieso bekomme ich die DJI fly App nicht auf mein samsung galaxy J3 installiert ich habe Android neun drauf und mein Handy ist von 2017
2019-11-16
Use props
fansb2e04f7b
lvl.1
Germany

Wieso bekomme ich die DJI fly App nicht auf mein samsung galaxy J3 installiert ich habe Android neun drauf und mein Handy ist von 2017
2019-11-16
Use props
fansb2e04f7b
lvl.1
Germany

Dji verkauft den Mavic 2 Mini und wenn man Pech hat dann funktioniert die App nicht ich habe drei Telefone unter anderem auch ein Samsung Galaxy J3 mit Android 9 und die App lässt sich nicht installieren das ist doch absolute scheiße man sollte die Drohne wieder zurückbringen Punkt die bringen was auf dem Markt habe noch nicht mal eine vernünftige App die für alle Handys geht traurig
2019-11-16
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules