Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Danny-B- Posted at 2017-1-8 09:13
Thats not clear in the information either so i included that in my email to DJICare.
I'll make a thread once i get a clear answer

Good for you Danny,

There is no mention in the small print regarding using or not using third party apps, an actuary would find it hard to argue with that. But worthwhile checking it out. Good luck.
2017-1-8
Use props
BarrettF77
lvl.2
Flight distance : 565459 ft
United States

+ 1 star on iOS review because of the poor maps feature and the terrible firmware update process.  
2017-1-8
Use props
Stinky711
lvl.2
United States

Say goodbye to Google maps!  

https://globenewswire.com/news-r ... ng-partnership.html

Please click on the link and read this.
2017-1-11
Use props
phantom_of_the_
lvl.2
Flight distance : 90459 ft
United Kingdom

Stinky711 Posted at 2017-1-11 13:34
Say goodbye to Google maps!  

https://globenewswire.com/news-release/2017/01/05/903852/0/en/Sky-s-the-limit-for-DJI-and-HERE-s-global-drone-mapping-partnership.html

Oh DJI, what have you done...

"HERE was recently selected as the top location platform by global research and consulting firm Ovum, ranking highest in completeness, mapping data, features and device compatibility"

I think we can all agree that HERE maps are certainly NOT how they are described above. I'm not going to be relying on Ovum's opinions any time soon that's for sure.
2017-1-11
Use props
4wd
Second Officer
Flight distance : 545817 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

phantom_of_the_ Posted at 2017-1-11 13:42
Oh DJI, what have you done...

"HERE was recently selected as the top location platform by global research and consulting firm Ovum, ranking highest in completeness, mapping data, features and device compatibility"

It is correct you can see the basic map (not satellite view) off-line which is a significant plus point.
I'm coming around to Here being OK-ish as a result as we have practically non-existent mobile coverage.
Flickr also use Here maps for photos which have geotagging.

But, Art mode - can we have it back please
2017-1-11
Use props
Adam Flurk
Second Officer
Flight distance : 425466 ft
United States

devGOD Posted at 2016-12-27 16:57
I know Google maps is popular but I doubt most people noticed a difference.

I use an iPad with my P3P when I fly. The iPad does not have internet so I don't think my maps have ever really worked when I'm not home. Maybe I just never noticed. Still a little confused about the changes since everything seems the same to me. haha
2017-1-12
Use props
AG0N-Gary
First Officer
Flight distance : 700846 ft
United States

I can show you roads that have been realigned (over 27 years ago) that are incorrect on my iPad.  If that's what they are using, count me out.
2017-1-12
Use props
AG0N-Gary
First Officer
Flight distance : 700846 ft
United States

I can show you roads that have been realigned (over 27 years ago) that are incorrect on my iPad.  If that's what they are using, count me out.
2017-1-12
Use props
Lonewolf 8
lvl.1

United States

Google maps please. Here maps DO NOT WORK in my area of Idaho.
2017-1-12
Use props
Neto
lvl.1
Flight distance : 600728 ft
Brazil

Here maps in Brazil shows Pangea.
Google Maps for sure.
2017-1-13
Use props
fans802aeb13
lvl.1

Switzerland

Google maps without doubt
2017-1-16
Use props
madispuk
lvl.3
Flight distance : 133957 ft
Estonia

I was working for HERE and I can say that it's not crap. It's the best option for truck routing and in-built car navigation as they have nice SDKs for that. That's why BMW, Audi and Daimler bought it, right?
They have a huge problem with keeping map data (and satellite data) up to date and the platform products like Android SDK are pretty young which makes them crash often.
For drone application, I would prefer Google maps too.
2017-1-18
Use props
fans672e9f91
lvl.1

United States

Google maps is far superior by any means.  They really need to overhaul the maps or find a 3rd party alternative that could do a better job than DJI fails to do.  Let DJI focus on drones and find someone that specializes in maps regardless.  Even allowing for custom imports for maps would be an improvement.  
2017-1-18
Use props
NatasataN
lvl.2
Flight distance : 100574 ft
Canada

See my post on how to use Google Maps on Android rooted devices.

http://forum.dji.com/thread-81283-1-1.html

Hope this helps some people.
2017-1-19
Use props
stealle
lvl.3
Flight distance : 21827 ft
United States

Should we start another poll... Who thinks DJI won't give a rats @$$ about this poll or what the vast majority of what their customers want and keep the Here Maps on the next firmware update?

I expect a new firmware any day now. I expect the Here maps to stay, art mode to still be missing, high wind false alarms to remain, obsticle avoidance false trigger when flying into the sun to remain, and no ability to toggle off the annoying RTH and low battery constant beeping to something less obnoxious like 1 beep per minute.
2017-1-22
Use props
arachnida
lvl.2
Flight distance : 180013 ft
  • >>>
Belgium

Over here, Belgium, the HERE maps are 4-5 years old while Google Maps is summer 2016!
2017-1-28
Use props
JaseUK
lvl.3
United Kingdom

I'll put in a vote for google maps please
2017-1-28
Use props
DRONE-flies-YOU
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1450594 ft
United States

Add a 3rd that says "I've glitched the app to force Google Maps"   
2017-1-28
Use props
Mavicator
lvl.3
Flight distance : 129583 ft
United States

NatasataN Posted at 2017-1-19 17:17

And for non-rooted  http://forum.dji.com/thread-81484-1-2.html
2017-1-28
Use props
Mavicator
lvl.3
United States

2017-1-28
Use props
Mavicator
lvl.3
United States

2017-1-28
Use props
Tarzoun69
lvl.1
Flight distance : 137418 ft
United Arab Emirates

I thought iOS devices (i own an iPhone6s) had apple plan i.s.o. here maps. And in Dubai it is as bad as here maps. Totally out of date
2017-1-28
Use props
lachyb
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Danny-B- Posted at 2016-12-28 04:27
Pretty unanimous at the moment!

Keep voting

Any chance you could make the survey so that the results are published live

Edit: you can once you've selected an answer. My bad. Just hadn't chosen an answer at first because didn't have my Mavic. Then started looking at HERE online...definitely not up to date!
2017-1-30
Use props
x1War Monger1x
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1880 ft
United States

Mine is the same as listed prior, just a mass of lifeless color without contour or definition and way out of date.

Phone: Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge
App:  DJI Go 4.0.1 updated on 22 Dec 2016
2017-1-30
Use props
fans90d4f438
lvl.3
Flight distance : 451335 ft
United States

fansf0572733 Posted at 2016-12-27 17:08
Seriously?

One major difference between the two is  HERE maps do not work for most people. Many are having issues with maps not displaying correctly

DEfine "most"
2017-1-30
Use props
tivoboy
lvl.2
Flight distance : 9984 ft
United States

Is there still a way to download HERE maps to the device for when one is not going to be in a cellular coverage area?
2017-1-30
Use props
fansfd6c28be
lvl.1
Flight distance : 52966 ft
United States

GOOGLE MAPS ARE MOST USEFULL
2017-2-1
Use props
Drseussami
lvl.4
Flight distance : 108002 ft
United States

I really don't think DJI actually cares.....
2017-2-3
Use props
DesertDave
lvl.3
Flight distance : 55807 ft
United States

With Here maps, I can see my neighborhood. With Google maps, I can see my dogs in the yard. The resolution is SO much better. Besides being out of date, the Here maps don't allow closer zoom.
2017-2-4
Use props
Danny-B-
lvl.4
Flight distance : 306640 ft
United Kingdom

Think its pretty safe to say we wont be seeing Google maps back any time soon

2017-2-9
Use props
Mavrick
lvl.2
United States

Apple maps is also terrible, please bring back google maps.
2017-2-9
Use props
SupraLB
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1594 ft
United States

HERE is terrible in Florida too.  There are several new tall buildings near me that have been built, but not showing on HERE.  They are showed in Google Maps, in great detail.  

However, since DJI announced that partnership with HERE, I really doubt we will see this go away soon.   Puzzling to move to an inferior vendor when it comes to satellite photos, when a 3rd party app still uses them.
2017-2-12
Use props
fanse60fa0d7
lvl.2
Flight distance : 276844 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Palladous Posted at 2016-12-28 05:13
Not only are they out of date but the poor resolution makes them absolutely useless for my P3S. I rolled back the Go App to 2.9.1 which still uses Google but my phone keeps updating it to 3.X so it only works for a short while.

Turn off automatic updates if you are on Android. Problem solved!
2017-2-12
Use props
r4nd0m
lvl.2
Flight distance : 839055 ft
United Kingdom

both are completely outdated in my area but I prefer googles maps
2017-2-13
Use props
tellus1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 105551 ft
Australia

+ 1 for google maps!!
2017-2-15
Use props
jgadea
lvl.2
Flight distance : 131985 ft
United States

3 years outdated in my area....
2017-2-15
Use props
JDB
lvl.1
Flight distance : 188451 ft
New Zealand

Well, this is weird.  This morning, ***the Here map converted to Google Maps, while I was flying***.  Basic process was this:  this morning I downloaded and installed DJI GO v3.1.3 using home wifi to my Android phone (had uninstalled v3.1.2 about a week ago due to false RTH issue, and had been using a borrowed iPhone which had accurate RTH).  I connected my Android phone to controller and P3S.  Initially the map was blank.  So I reconnected to home Wifi and the DJI screen loaded HERE map of area - poor resolution, so poor I couldn't tell how old it was.  My phone is not cellular enabled.  Took the P3S outside, confirmed home position loaded correctly,  and flew for about 20 minutes.  (As an aside I noticed video feed to my phone was jerky, took sometimes 10 sec or so to update).      I landed the P3 (not using RTH!) and as I was walking back to house looked at the map... usually it is a massive scribble of white trails because I do a lot of practice flying mostly within 150 metres - figure 8s etc.  But there was no sign of a trail, and when I looked closer it was a Google map of the world.    I expanded the map view to my flying territory and there was just one relatively short track representing probably the last minute of flight, and the home point was correctly located.  So towards the end of the flight, the Google map must have loaded automatically and replaced the Here map.  And definitely not from cell signal because that phone isn't cell-connected.

Maybe the Google map autoloaded from cache? I'm pretty sure it was the map I used when I first started flying the P3 about 2 weeks ago.  But I don't know what would have prompted that.  And it didn't have the old trails on it.

This forum has been very useful, I'm happy to answer any questions if it's likely to help anyone, but I have no better explanation to offer.  
2017-2-16
Use props
JDB
lvl.1
New Zealand

JDB Posted at 2017-2-16 15:59
Well, this is weird.  This morning, ***the Here map converted to Google Maps, while I was flying***.  Basic process was this:  this morning I downloaded and installed DJI GO v3.1.3 using home wifi to my Android phone (had uninstalled v3.1.2 about a week ago due to false RTH issue, and had been using a borrowed iPhone which had accurate RTH).  I connected my Android phone to controller and P3S.  Initially the map was blank.  So I reconnected to home Wifi and the DJI screen loaded HERE map of area - poor resolution, so poor I couldn't tell how old it was.  My phone is not cellular enabled.  Took the P3S outside, confirmed home position loaded correctly,  and flew for about 20 minutes.  (As an aside I noticed video feed to my phone was jerky, took sometimes 10 sec or so to update).      I landed the P3 (not using RTH!) and as I was walking back to house looked at the map... usually it is a massive scribble of white trails because I do a lot of practice flying mostly within 150 metres - figure 8s etc.  But there was no sign of a trail, and when I looked closer it was a Google map of the world.    I expanded the map view to my flying territory and there was just one relatively short track representing probably the last minute of flight, and the home point was correctly located.  So towards the end of the flight, the Google map must have loaded automatically and replaced the Here map.  And definitely not from cell signal because that phone isn't cell-connected.

Maybe the Google map autoloaded from cache? I'm pretty sure it was the map I used when I first started flying the P3 about 2 weeks ago.  But I don't know what would have prompted that.  And it didn't have the old trails on it.

Further update... decided to see if the Google map remained loaded... it didn't when I restarted the DJI GO app, so had to go through same process as my previous post: no map visible when starting Camera mode, connect to home wifi, Here Map loaded (2 or 3 years out of date, poor resolution), reconnected to P3S, went out to fly, home location recorded correctly on the Here map, started flying, but this time after only a few minutes the Google map replaced the Here map, but this time instead of the Map of the World, the Google map wasof my home flight territory, and home point and controller correctly recorded.    No idea why the Google Map replaces the Here Map, but I'm glad it does.  Any questions?
2017-2-16
Use props
JDB
lvl.1
New Zealand

JDB Posted at 2017-2-16 17:16
Further update... decided to see if the Google map remained loaded... it didn't when I restarted the DJI GO app, so had to go through same process as my previous post: no map visible when starting Camera mode, connect to home wifi, Here Map loaded (2 or 3 years out of date, poor resolution), reconnected to P3S, went out to fly, home location recorded correctly on the Here map, started flying, but this time after only a few minutes the Google map replaced the Here map, but this time instead of the Map of the World, the Google map wasof my home flight territory, and home point and controller correctly recorded.    No idea why the Google Map replaces the Here Map, but I'm glad it does.  Any questions?

Third update... this time - started phone, connected to controller, P3S, the Here map label came up on screen but no actual map. This time, instead of returning to home wifi to load Here map, I continued and started flight without it.  Soon after (5 mins?) Google Map showed up on screen and stayed that way.
2017-2-16
Use props
fanseb85c303
lvl.3

United States

I am experiencing similar issues.  Sometimes my app is loading here maps and sometimes for no reason I get Google maps.  What is going on?
2017-2-17
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules