Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
X5R Inspire upgrade issues
2156 20 2016-12-27
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
cinejeff
lvl.1
United States

Hello, all. Recently I purchased the X5R camera for my Inspire 1. I also purchased the OSMO handle for the X5R. The problem I'm having is that the SSD cards are not being recognized when on the aircraft or mounted to the OSMO handle.

A few things have me confused. First, in the DJI Go app, it says that the aircraft requires an upgrade but the only new upgrade for the aircraft says it is for the X3 camera system. Second, everything operates perfectly except being able to record to the SSD cards. The micro SD card will record fine.

So, do I put the X3 camera back on the aircraft for an upgrade and then switch back to the X5R? And how do I get the SSD cards to be recognized?

Thanks in advance.

Jeff
2016-12-27
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Hello Jeff, please mount the X5R camera to OSMO handle then update the firmware to see if the SSD will be recognized.
Here is the link for the firmware. http://www.dji.com/osmo-pro-and-raw/info#downloads
2016-12-27
Use props
cinejeff
lvl.1
United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 2016-12-28 01:14
Hello Jeff, please mount the X5R camera to OSMO handle then update the firmware to see if the SSD will be recognized.
Here is the link for the firmware. http://www.dji.com/osmo-pro-and-raw/info#downloads

Mindy,

After installing the new firmware, the report says that it was aborted because the firmware was the same. In the DJI Go app, it says that the firmware version is "unknown".

Please advise.

Jeff
2016-12-28
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

cinejeff Posted at 2016-12-29 03:35
Mindy,

After installing the new firmware, the report says that it was aborted because the firmware was the same. In the DJI Go app, it says that the firmware version is "unknown".

Just to clarify, that was on the OSMO, correct? Are you able to read what's on the aircraft at the moment? What Go app version and mobile device are you using?

Could you happen to provide a screenshot of the update notification when you have the X5R connected? You shouldn't be receiving any X3 related notifications when you're using that camera. Are you sure it's not asking to upgrade the aircraft to v01.10.01.40? That firmware would be upgradable using the X3 or the X5R.
2016-12-28
Use props
cinejeff
lvl.1
United States

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2016-12-28 17:30
Just to clarify, that was on the OSMO, correct? Are you able to read what's on the aircraft at the moment? What Go app version and mobile device are you using?

Could you happen to provide a screenshot of the update notification when you have the X5R connected? You shouldn't be receiving any X3 related notifications when you're using that camera. Are you sure it's not asking to upgrade the aircraft to v01.10.01.40? That firmware would be upgradable using the X3 or the X5R.

I have tried it on the OSMO and the Inspire 1. I have an iphone 7, DJI Go app 3.1.1 (the app self updates)

Let's stick to the OSMO for the moment, the Inspire 1 can be another discussion...

I have installed the latest firmware on the OSMO. I have the latest DJI Go app. The camera and gimbal turn on and operate well, with the exception of the SSD cards. They cannot be formatted via the app and are unrecognized by the X5R.

I'm willing to try anything...

Jeff

2016-12-28
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
United States

cinejeff Posted at 2016-12-28 16:11
I have tried it on the OSMO and the Inspire 1. I have an iphone 7, DJI Go app 3.1.1 (the app self updates)

Let's stick to the OSMO for the moment, the Inspire 1 can be another discussion...

Have you tried formatting the SSD card via Cinelight?
2016-12-29
Use props
iSkyUnmannedSys
lvl.4
Flight distance : 7152087 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2016-12-29 15:00
Have you tried formatting the SSD card via Cinelight?

Jamie, without double checking you can't currently format the SSD in Cinelight. The only way to do it is through the app when connected to the Inspire or A3/LB2 combo.
2016-12-30
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
United States

iSkyUnmannedSys Posted at 2016-12-30 15:57
Jamie, without double checking you can't currently format the SSD in Cinelight. The only way to do it is through the app when connected to the Inspire or A3/LB2 combo.

There is a 'quick format' option, though the question would be if the SSD will read in Cinelight in order to do it.
2016-12-31
Use props
iSkyUnmannedSys
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2016-12-31 16:18
There is a 'quick format' option, though the question would be if the SSD will read in Cinelight in order to do it.

First time I've noticed that Jamie. It's a shame DJI never finished Cinelight off properly. Something still don't work properly. You can't remove selected individual sequences from the card which does cause problems out in the field at times
2017-1-3
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
United States

cinejeff Posted at 2016-12-28 16:11

Do you still need help?
2017-1-4
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
United States

iSkyUnmannedSys Posted at 2017-1-3 01:40
First time I've noticed that Jamie. It's a shame DJI never finished Cinelight off properly. Something still don't work properly. You can't remove selected individual sequences from the card which does cause problems out in the field at times

You mean instead of wiping the whole card, just a few clips, right?
2017-1-4
Use props
iSkyUnmannedSys
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2017-1-4 13:30
You mean instead of wiping the whole card, just a few clips, right?

Individual sequences. Click the minus button bottom left and nothing happens. Been like that for ever.
2017-1-4
Use props
Mike-the-cat
lvl.4
Flight distance : 22488593 ft
  • >>>
Singapore

iSkyUnmannedSys Posted at 2017-1-4 22:57
Individual sequences. Click the minus button bottom left and nothing happens. Been like that for ever.

There is a very good reason for this. Fragmenting a memory device by selectively deleting files results in non-contiguous write sectors. This is fine if write speed is slow but when write speed is very high as it is when writing Raw files, then you will get glitches after a few cycles.

This is why you should fill up a memory device, take stuff off and then reformat it.
2017-1-20
Use props
iSkyUnmannedSys
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Mike-the-cat Posted at 2017-1-20 09:42
There is a very good reason for this. Fragmenting a memory device by selectively deleting files results in non-contiguous write sectors. This is fine if write speed is slow but when write speed is very high as it is when writing Raw files, then you will get glitches after a few cycles.

This is why you should fill up a memory device, take stuff off and then reformat it.

No idea Mike, not arsed with the technicalities in why or why not, just wished DJI would have finished CineLight before moving on, why have buttons with zero functionality lol.

I've bought a second hand SSD now which gives me more flexibility on shoots. At least I can off load while still been able to fly.
2017-1-20
Use props
Mike-the-cat
lvl.4
  • >>>
Singapore

iSkyUnmannedSys Posted at 2017-1-20 13:41
No idea Mike, not arsed with the technicalities in why or why not, just wished DJI would have finished CineLight before moving on, why have buttons with zero functionality lol.

I've bought a second hand SSD now which gives me more flexibility on shoots. At least I can off load while still been able to fly.

Hi,

CineLight is a complete package. It lacks multithreading and its not a go to program to do ProRes conversion. That DJI should say in a manual. It does what its supposed to do and its the first gen DJI Raw converter.

If you are going to work with Raw files and its for a living, it pays to learn some of the tech stuff. Time is money and you'll save a lot of it if you optimised workflow. Having an added SSD is nice but you've got to figure how to handle the mountains of data a raw workflow brings with it.
2017-1-20
Use props
iSkyUnmannedSys
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Mike-the-cat Posted at 2017-1-20 20:55
Hi,

CineLight is a complete package. It lacks multithreading and its not a go to program to do ProRes conversion. That DJI should say in a manual. It does what its supposed to do and its the first gen DJI Raw converter.

Mike, I was more on about the technicalities of a file system on the SSD, if DJI originally had a remove a sequence button then why disable it later and leave the icon doing nothing? Just adds to users confusion at times.

Yes I am perfectly happy with handling CineRaw and only use CineLight to pull the DNG stacks off the card. We use Resolve for transcoding/colour correction etc. Anyone using the program to transcode should be given a good talking to lol

The program isn't actually finished as it's still classed as a beta program, they never released v1.0. As I said last night, DJI are very quick at moving on with new kit now over this last year, maybe too quickly at times leaving customers struggling to keep up.
2017-1-21
Use props
Mike-the-cat
lvl.4
  • >>>
Singapore

iSkyUnmannedSys Posted at 2017-1-21 04:00
Mike, I was more on about the technicalities of a file system on the SSD, if DJI originally had a remove a sequence button then why disable it later and leave the icon doing nothing? Just adds to users confusion at times.

Yes I am perfectly happy with handling CineRaw and only use CineLight to pull the DNG stacks off the card. We use Resolve for transcoding/colour correction etc. Anyone using the program to transcode should be given a good talking to lol

Yeah. I think these comments are reasonable.

Things are indeed moving very quickly. No amount of commentary is going to change that though. It is rumoured that Mavic has hit a million in sales - DJI can now afford to flex its influence on the market.
2017-1-21
Use props
iSkyUnmannedSys
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Mike-the-cat Posted at 2017-1-21 05:26
Yeah. I think these comments are reasonable.

Things are indeed moving very quickly. No amount of commentary is going to change that though. It is rumoured that Mavic has hit a million in sales - DJI can now afford to flex its influence on the market.

Absolutely. No real competition in the consumer side of thing, maybe only FreeFly in the heavier lift area.

With my setup of the S900/LB2/A4/X5R setup, my next potential upgrade will be "if" DJI release the stand alone X5S to go on the M600. I'd certainly buy into that just to drop the transcoding part of using CineRAW, although using RAW gives better flexibility with the footage in post.

I think the next step along on the camera side of things will be how the Hasselblad buy out will give them access to some very high end tech. Will we see a full frame, Zenmuse X7?
2017-1-21
Use props
Mike-the-cat
lvl.4
  • >>>
Singapore

iSkyUnmannedSys Posted at 2017-1-21 06:19
Absolutely. No real competition in the consumer side of thing, maybe only FreeFly in the heavier lift area.

With my setup of the S900/LB2/A4/X5R setup, my next potential upgrade will be "if" DJI release the stand alone X5S to go on the M600. I'd certainly buy into that just to drop the transcoding part of using CineRAW, although using RAW gives better flexibility with the footage in post.

I think that in terms of aircraft, the Inspire 2 is a great upgrade.

The inflight stability, front facing camera, dual compass, dual IMU, smart flying modes, longer flight time and greater motor power reserve all add up.

In terms of shooting the ability to use ProRes straight off the recording media is a big plus.
The I2 was designed to give all the dedicated camera + M600 rigs a run for their money and I think it will.

Honestly, I think that beyond the X5R / X5S shooting in raw, there isn't much to gain from this point forward from the Image quality viewpoint. Maybe if you are shooting stills for billboards and you need a medium format camera but not much otherwise. Even for that, DJI could implement Olympus 50Mp still mode where they use pixel shift imaging to get super high res.

2017-1-21
Use props
iSkyUnmannedSys
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

With you on that Mike, video is pretty much drilled down for choice of quality these days. Photography needs the next push DJI wise, for professionals anyway. There's the "getting away with" and then the true high res images. The A5D is one hell of a camera under the M600. If someone had a need they will fork out the money for sure.
2017-1-22
Use props
cinejeff
lvl.1
United States

Sorry I have not updated this thread until now...

I was instructed to send the OSMO and cards back to DJI. I did, and it has been repaired or replaced. No word on what the issue actually was, but it has been rectified by DJI.

Now it works flawlessly.

Jeff
2017-4-11
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules