Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Loss of Mavic Pro due to loss of signals
4498 23 2016-12-28
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fansc06d2ab3
lvl.2

Hong Kong

I lost my Mavic Pro yesterday in open sea while the drone was approaching a golf course. On its way to golf course, there was a sudden loss of signal and RTH function couldn't bring my drone back to me after all. Look for the drone at the last contact point but nowhere to be found. I have attached flight log and the video of its last moment for reference.
Still can't understand why the RTH has failed to function properly.

My experience with Mavic Pro is disappointing considering I had to bring it to service a dead pixel in the camera when I laid my hand back in November.

Flight log

Flight log
2016-12-28
Use props
Incredible Aeri
lvl.2

United States

What operating system were you using?
2016-12-28
Use props
fansc06d2ab3
lvl.2

Hong Kong

Android 6.0
2016-12-28
Use props
Incredible Aeri
lvl.2

United States

I think this may have to do with Android. Do we have a poll on who has lost their drone and what operating system they were using?
2016-12-28
Use props
c_future
lvl.4
Austria

we had the same issue with a phantom 3  -- looking at the sensor - flight logs - it was because of faulty compass values (180° in 0,2 seconds) on open sea, no obstacles. since phantom 4 there are 2 built in for that reason.

so please raise a support case, provide the flight logs and keep us updated.

also & out of interest, you can post the flight log link to healthy drones here.  next week i will fly my mavic first time over open water a lot.. so far I had 0 issues with my setup, hope it will stay as it is.
2016-12-28
Use props
fansc06d2ab3
lvl.2

Hong Kong

May i know how to post the flight log link here?
2016-12-28
Use props
c_future
lvl.4
Austria

go to https://healthydrones.com/  and upload your (1-2 mb size) flighlog .txt file which you can extrat from the local dji folder of your smartphone.

the web browser url of your flight data on healty drones is persistent - just copy paste it here.
2016-12-28
Use props
MavicUser
lvl.3
Flight distance : 431417 ft
Canada

What was the distance between you and the Mavic when you lost contact?  From the map you posted, it looks like you launched from a boat?  What firmware version is on the Mavic?  What DJI Go version were you using?
2016-12-28
Use props
trance728-
lvl.4
Flight distance : 298048 ft
  • >>>
United States

Incredible Aeri Posted at 2016-12-28 07:50
I think this may have to do with Android. Do we have a poll on who has lost their drone and what operating system they were using?

RTH is a built in function of the ac as well as the rc, I can't see any way that you could blame that on the OS of the phone.
2016-12-28
Use props
trance728-
lvl.4
Flight distance : 298048 ft
  • >>>
United States

MavicUser Posted at 2016-12-28 08:24
What was the distance between you and the Mavic when you lost contact?  From the map you posted, it looks like you launched from a boat?  What firmware version is on the Mavic?  What DJI Go version were you using?

If he did launch from a boat I wonder if the Mavic lost connection with the RC and RTH initiated and flew it back to the home point which would just be water.
2016-12-28
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

Sorry for your loss, contact support and they can evaluate your flight record from your DJI account.
Also sync your flight records.Did you record the homepoint before taking off ?
Did you take of from land ?
Was the RTH set to RTH, hover, or land ?
Did you get any warning messages during the flight ?
What is your email and I will look at your flight record to see if I see anything that could have caused it.
2016-12-28
Use props
fansc06d2ab3
lvl.2

Hong Kong

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-12-28 23:35
Sorry for your loss, contact support and they can evaluate your flight record from your DJI account.
Also sync your flight records.Did you record the homepoint before taking off ?
Did you take of from land ?

Hi Ken, this is Matt.  My email is mccheung8@yahoo.com. Thanks.
2016-12-28
Use props
fansc06d2ab3
lvl.2

Hong Kong

c_future Posted at 2016-12-28 22:09
go to https://healthydrones.com/  and upload your (1-2 mb size) flighlog .txt file which you can extrat from the local dji folder of your smartphone.

the web browser url of your flight data on healty drones is persistent - just copy paste it here.

My healthy drone log:

https://healthydrones.com/main?f ... amp;page_id=SENSORS
2016-12-28
Use props
c_future
lvl.4
Austria

https://healthydrones.com/main?f ... ENERALNotifications

..interesting is the constant changes of mode to wifi for example which anyhow cant work at a distance of 3,488 ft  / 1 kilometer
and all that happended seconds before your mavic disappeared.maybe the (physical) switch was not perfectly set?

when I had my connection loss and RTH scenario  - or on any other flights -- never saw wifi mode flapping in the flight log

2016-12-29
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

I reviewed your flight, I saw that you went around the cliff and your altitude (45m) and it looks like the aircraft may have crashed into the cliff.
You had a weak signal and I see you let off the forward movement but it kept going after that for a bit. It was slowing down but it looks like it hit the cliff before it could stop.
The flight data analysis department will have to evaluate to see what exactly happened.
2016-12-29
Use props
fansc06d2ab3
lvl.2

Hong Kong

I sent an inquiry to support and hopefully they will also send me a reply.
2016-12-29
Use props
fansf0572733
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2098566 ft
United States

You lost signal. As a result, RTH was initiated. However, it crashed on its way back due to the RTH altitude was not set high enough.
2016-12-29
Use props
Kevin16
lvl.3
Flight distance : 353642 ft
Australia

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-12-29 08:13
I reviewed your flight, I saw that you went around the cliff and your altitude (45m) and it looks like the aircraft may have crashed into the cliff.
You had a weak signal and I see you let off the forward movement but it kept going after that for a bit. It was slowing down but it looks like it hit the cliff before it could stop.
The flight data analysis department will have to evaluate to see what exactly happened.

Interesting.  Couldn't have been in Cinematic mode?  That takes a bit longer to stop.
2016-12-29
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

fansf0572733 Posted at 2016-12-29 17:01
You lost signal. As a result, RTH was initiated. However, it crashed on its way back due to the RTH altitude was not set high enough.

That's not what happened, the aircraft did not lose signal.
When the OP got the Weak Signal message, they left off the full forward stick and the aircraft was slowing to a stop and looks like it ran into the cliff.
Full aft stick input should have been given.
2016-12-29
Use props
fansc06d2ab3
lvl.2

Hong Kong

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-12-29 20:43
That's not what happened, the aircraft did not lose signal.
When the OP got the Weak Signal message, they left off the full forward stick and the aircraft was slowing to a stop and looks like it ran into the cliff.
Full aft stick input should have been given.

From the last moment of the video, it was still up in the air and have clearance above the cliff. Besides there's supposed to be obstacle avoidance on the front, that means the function is not working?

I look at the healthy drone log, there's been constant switching to atti mode at the last moment, perhaps that switch off the obstacle avoidance?
2016-12-30
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

fansc06d2ab3 Posted at 2016-12-30 17:09
From the last moment of the video, it was still up in the air and have clearance above the cliff. Besides there's supposed to be obstacle avoidance on the front, that means the function is not working?

I look at the healthy drone log, there's been constant switching to atti mode at the last moment, perhaps that switch off the obstacle avoidance?

Again, the flight data analysis team will have to review and determine the cause.
You've already contacted support right and started a case?
2016-12-30
Use props
fansc06d2ab3
lvl.2

Hong Kong

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-12-30 22:19
Again, the flight data analysis team will have to review and determine the cause.
You've already contacted support right and started a case?

Yes, but they have not got back to me yet.
2016-12-31
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

fansc06d2ab3 Posted at 2016-12-31 00:04
Yes, but they have not got back to me yet.

it will take some time, let's see what happens by mid week.
2016-12-31
Use props
fansb40d1cae
lvl.1

United States

You never stated your launch location, sea (boat) or land. I'm sure slot of readers are curios
2017-4-25
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules