phantom 2 vision + in winter
2952 7 2014-10-4
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Jgutka
lvl.1

Canada

hey guys,

i am looking for some input on how cold weather affects the vision 2 +. what temperatures have users been using them down to? i would like to record sledding, fishing, snowboarding etc. some insight will help me and my decisions on which day to use. thanks!
2014-10-4
Use props
ElGuano
lvl.1

United States

Cold weather does have a few effects:

1. Battery life. What you'll probably see the most is a 10-20% decrease in flight time due to loss of battery efficiency in icy temps. It'll help to keep the batteries warm until it's time to insert and take off.

2. If it's very cold and also very humid (fog + snow), you run a risk of icing your props, which could cause a significant drop in lift (some people have experienced quads/hexes almost falling out of the sky in such conditions). Fairly rare I would say.

3. Not so much cold-related, but if you're at altitude, the air is a bit thinner so you have less lift to begin with. Give yourself more room to maneuver and take descents slowly.

Generally though, other than #1, I don't think you'll have any difficulties using a Phantom to film skying/boarding, many people do this regularly!
2014-10-4
Use props
Jgutka
lvl.1

Canada

Thanks for the info. Since I'm in Canada I was wanting to use the unit in down to - 15 to - 20 Celsius conditions. Does this pose any problems?
2014-10-5
Use props
Dragonrider
lvl.2

United States

Another great reason to live in Florida.......
2014-10-21
Use props
Jgutka
lvl.1

Canada

But you can't go snowmobiling there.  Snowmobiling > any other sport.
2014-11-2
Use props
Dragonrider
lvl.2

United States

Jgutka@hotmail. Posted at 2014-11-3 00:11
But you can't go snowmobiling there.  Snowmobiling > any other sport.

Yep and that's why I live here!!
2014-11-2
Use props
Jgutka
lvl.1

Canada

Cool beans. Your missing out.
2014-11-2
Use props
Tahoe_Ed
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2605 ft
  • >>>
United States

In the summer in Las Vegas we have to keep the packs cool.  In Tahoe in the winter we have to keep them warm.  Depending on the number of packs you have an insulated carrier with a rice bag or two works well.  Once I flew at -10F and I could not arm except in the car.  That was an unusual circumstance.
2014-11-2
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules