New Drone flyer Question in home flying
937 8 2016-12-28
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Eh8YLsqrthTv
lvl.1
Flight distance : 208681 ft
United States

So I turned off the sensors in the front of the Mavic due to flying inside. I took off and it started drifting right at my tv. Kinda freaked out and it hit the intertainment center. Keep going on the ground a little. Had to put my foot on it and finally it stopped. Luckly only a little nick on a blade. But the chair and intertainment center got hit pretty good. Why did it drift? Due to not having the sensors in the front on??
Thanks
2016-12-28
Use props
Jake Phantom 3
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2639747 ft
United States

Most likely it drifted because it didn't have GPS signal. This is what keeps it steady and no drifting. Inside a building you'll rarely pick up a GPS signal.
2016-12-28
Use props
BrandonA614
lvl.2
Flight distance : 813593 ft
United States

It could be the GPS, but the Mavic is supposed to have bottom vision sensors as well. I have noticed that these do not work well in low light. If you're going to fly indoors, make sure you have ample light and look for the VPS sensors on the display.
2016-12-28
Use props
MacIak
lvl.3
Flight distance : 3419 ft
Netherlands

Tried mine inside lately, sensors on: great, lots of beeping though. Sensors off : steady as a rock in a 16m2 room. Tripod: even better!
2016-12-28
Use props
trance728-
lvl.4
Flight distance : 298048 ft
  • >>>
United States

Don't fly it in your house if you're new to it, you're just asking to crash it.
2016-12-28
Use props
StianGel
Second Officer
Flight distance : 686654 ft
Norway

You need very good light and a textured floor for the downward sensors to work properly.
Tail in and tripod mode helps a lot if you disable all the sensors.
2016-12-28
Use props
Gary Mac
lvl.4
Flight distance : 741683 ft
United States

There is a little drift when you don't have GPS.  You WILL have to "fly" it a bit when you are in ATTI mode (no GPS).  I realize it is a little late, but here are some thoughts for the future:

Buy a cheap ($50) drone and learn to fly it.  It is nothing like a Mavic, but it teaches you how to control a drone that has no automated control.  That skill comes in handy if the automation failed on the Mavic.

Be sure you have lots of space.  I know it is tempting to take off in your 10x10 living room with a couch, entertainment center and favorite chair, but that leaves about 3x4 to maneuver, and that isn't much.  If weather is an issue, take the car out of the garage and use it... at least you'll have a little room.

As soon as you take off, put it in TRIPOD mode.  That slows the controls and helps prevent "panic" movements.

Finally, ALWAYS take off with you and your drone looking in the same direction... not at each other.  That way any movement you make will be "correct" and not have to be "reversed" because the directions are backward.

GET NEW PROPS!  That nick will make it vibrate and could also crack and drop your Mavic out of the sky.  Props are cheap insurance, so replace them if they become damaged.

Best of luck and take it slow... read the book twice and be twice as careful as you think you should.  You'll get the hang of it and enjoy the hell out of it.

Gary
2016-12-28
Use props
seeker_ktf_
Second Officer
Flight distance : 218474 ft
United States

I might be wrong about this so I guess I'm asking as much as answering, but I also think you might benefit from recalibrating the IMU.  At least for me, I noticed a big difference in the drift after I used a bubble level to correctly identify a very flat part of my tile floor to calibrate with.
2016-12-29
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

VPS needs something to lock on to texture floor covering would be better than dark flooring, flying inside your house is a risky business you knew to switch of the OA sensors, but you had no plan what to do if it started to drift, it sounds like inexperience,

I'm still scratching my head as to why people want to fly Mavic inside they're houses , a huge amount of crashes reported here have come from people flying around there sitting rooms, yes by all means fly Mavic indoors,  but only in suitable places, churches large halls where roof or ceilings are high.
2016-12-29
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules