New way to earn forum points! [Trial Ended]
11478 90 2016-12-28
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
DJI Joe
Captain

United States

Wottt Posted at 2017-1-24 11:14
how can I start a thread on this forum? Or is that not allowed by newbies?

You need to earn enough points to join the "beginner" group. Check out other people's threads and share your opinions on others' work to get some points!
2017-1-24
Use props
WindSoul
lvl.3
Flight distance : 16 ft
Canada

nobody care for gaining points. we're here to learn a thing or two and dodge some hard times at learning from own experience. that being said, yes we would appreciate a good answer and mark it up. but lets not get crazy at reporting ourselves and prying on each other. what you propose resembles autocracy.
2017-1-24
Use props
DJI Joe
Captain

United States

WindSoul Posted at 2017-1-24 11:35
nobody care for gaining points. we're here to learn a thing or two and dodge some hard times at learning from own experience. that being said, yes we would appreciate a good answer and mark it up. but lets not get crazy at reporting ourselves and prying on each other. what you propose resembles autocracy.

Not sure what you mean, Wind. Can you clarify?
2017-1-24
Use props
Wottt
lvl.2

Netherlands

Yes indeed quite strange that I need to earn the right to ask questions and learn. But okay ...
2017-1-24
Use props
DJI Joe
Captain

United States

Wottt Posted at 2017-1-24 12:19
Yes indeed quite strange that I need to earn the right to ask questions and learn. But okay ...

It's a way of stopping spam and allowing users to get a feel for the forum ad maybe doing a search before immediately posting a new thread. If you look in the rules you'll see how many points are needed.
2017-1-24
Use props
WindSoul
lvl.3
Flight distance : 16 ft
Canada

DJI Joe Posted at 2017-1-24 12:03
Not sure what you mean, Wind. Can you clarify?

Earning points should not be the drive of contributing, that's what I meant. When people are poised to gain something even as silly as points, then answering becomes a business. Hustler business.
2017-1-24
Use props
DJI Joe
Captain

United States

WindSoul Posted at 2017-1-24 19:11
Earning points should not be the drive of contributing, that's what I meant. When people are poised to gain something even as silly as points, then answering becomes a business. Hustler business.

You are somewhat correct. The drive should be more about being part of a community. The current system offers points as an incentive, but there aren't so many points given that people only looking to profit will be motivated more powerfully than someone looking to share in their excitement.

If you have any of your own ideas of how the forum can incentivize positive content, please share! Thanks for your input.
2017-1-25
Use props
Dronoob
lvl.4
Flight distance : 126079 ft
Germany

DJI Joe Posted at 2017-1-25 12:08
You are somewhat correct. The drive should be more about being part of a community. The current system offers points as an incentive, but there aren't so many points given that people only looking to profit will be motivated more powerfully than someone looking to share in their excitement.

If you have any of your own ideas of how the forum can incentivize positive content, please share! Thanks for your input.

One thing I noticed: Upvoting and downvoting is hardly used. I myself had posts with replies that said "thank you" and "great post" but users did not upvote it. To me that means: Users did not understand that upvotes are a way to reward great contributions. Nonetheless, upvoting is a great feature and it should be more visible and present to become a successful means to support a vibrant community.

This is what I would do to get it up and running:
  • Allow users to upvote the first posting (not just the replies) and show the number of upvotes on the main page. This makes it easy for users to acknowledge good content. Furthermore, many users will feel good to see that their posting got 15 upvotes. Last but notleast, it makes the feature more visible and shows that upvoting is an important means in the DJI forums.
  • Upvotes should also trigger short notifications like: "Your posting/reply ... got 5 upvotes", "Your posting/reply got 10 upvotes" and so on. That way you can easily "keep in touch" with users and encourage them to continue providing good content. Those notifications are especially useful as users will not keep track of their postings and repliesall the time and might not notice that others really liked the user's contribution.
  • Every upvote contributes to the DJI credits. E.g. an upvote you receive yould give you 10 DJI credit points (just an example number). But upvoting others also contributes to the DJI credits. It should not be so much that this feature can be abused to gain credits, but it should encourage people to upvote good content of other users. I'd give 1 point for upvoting other users' content.
  • The number of upvotes could also be used next to the user name as a kind of user level. It somehow interferes with the current system of user levels but maybe you find a way to merge both concepts.

"Downvotes" are negative feedback and I would remove this feature completely. Nobody wants to get bad feedback! For really bad and unwanted content,there is still the reporting system that should send a message to the moderators so that they can take care of it. I would not grant any points for reporting bad content.

2017-1-28
Use props
fansd33dc7d5
lvl.2
Flight distance : 196814 ft
United States

I am new to this and I am excited to be a part of this awesome Mavic
2017-1-28
Use props
Solticeman
lvl.1

United States

DJI Joe Posted at 2017-1-17 09:19
This is why we're trying to make it better. If you have anything specific to add or features you'd like to see, please let us know. We're trying to make this place a much more positive experience rather than just a dump of rants and complaints.

My biggest complaint is having to earn a right to post a question... like I'm a child or something. If DJI would just write a real manual, then maybe, just maybe questions would be unneeded.  I have had issues from time to time and searched and read things to no end. But I couldn't just post a question. Why the runaround when your a newby? My current issue is having to delete files by selecting one at a time in the editor of the app. Is there a select all way of doing that?
2017-2-24
Use props
Solticeman
lvl.1

United States

Stevenw2032 Posted at 2017-1-20 19:59
Why cant i start a thread?

Exactly! Why the bs rule of having to reply a bunch to just be able to start a thread...
2017-2-24
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules