IMG_4749.JPG
2017-1-10
Use props
Nyikhmur
lvl.2
Flight distance : 240354 ft
Hungary

DJI-Ken Posted at 2017-1-10 10:58
The switching compass is totally normal as one may get interference during sport mode. This only lasts for a second or so then the other compass is operational.
So there is no need to send your aircraft in.

Ken,

Can you explain then to us why this is not an issue on the phantom3 phantom4 etc?? They also have 2 compasses, and sport mode!! When i fly my phantom4 in sport mode nothing like this happens!
2017-1-10
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

Nyikhmur Posted at 2017-1-10 11:56
Ken,

Can you explain then to us why this is not an issue on the phantom3 phantom4 etc?? They also have 2 compasses, and sport mode!! When i fly my phantom4 in sport mode nothing like this happens!

It's the way the Mavic is designed.
If you feel there's an issue, then your free to contact support and send your aircraft in for evaluation.
2017-1-10
Use props
Apriliamgt
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1155823 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

So ken. Why are they errors in the pictures previously posted coming up??  And only started on the new firmware .. some users are getting it and some are not !!

This suggest there is an issue
2017-1-10
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

Apriliamgt Posted at 2017-1-10 12:44
So ken. Why are they errors in the pictures previously posted coming up??  And only started on the new firmware .. some users are getting it and some are not !!

This suggest there is an issue

A proper compass calibration will help.
If the compass is calibrated and there's metal under the grass of concrete where the calibration is done then the compass is calibrated taking that metal into account.
Then when you take off and are free from any metal, you may get a compass error.

That's why I only calibrate once and if I take off from a parking structure or boat and there's compass errors, but as soon as I take off and get about 20ft away the errors go away.
2017-1-10
Use props
Apriliamgt
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I fly from an open field in the middle nowhere and calibrated correctly . As I've done with all my drones .
As soon as I downgraded the firmware , all the issues on screen disappeared .

In both cases the mavic flew great with no issues .

During sports mode, you can watch compass 1 jump from good numbers , to well over 400+ to which the app errors and tell you it can't read the compass.

As soon as you stop, readings come back and values go back to normal again
2017-1-10
Use props
kiltedrunner
lvl.2
Flight distance : 484948 ft
Canada

Apriliamgt Posted at 2016-12-29 23:00
I've always calibrated the way the app shows you ..

I think the app is wrong on the second step. I'm sure it shows the drone laying on it side, but the front of the drone actually needs to be facing the ground.
2017-1-11
Use props
kiltedrunner
lvl.2
Flight distance : 484948 ft
Canada

Yup - just confirmed that the second image on the Compass Calibrate button is wrong. It shows the drone on its side but should be pointed face down to the ground. IMG_5107.PNG

DJI - can you change this to the appropriate image?
Below is what it should look like:
second step.png
2017-1-11
Use props
Apriliamgt
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Well I sent mine back.

Dji repair centre is repairing/replacing the compass board ..
So seems there is an issue with people getting this problem
IMG_4884.PNG
2017-1-12
Use props
ThirstyHorde
lvl.2
Flight distance : 262047 ft
United States

So I'm confused on the calibration.  I've been calibrating per the app, which shows the Mavic on it's side during the second part of the calibration in lieu of facing downward.  Can DJI clarify which way is the correct way:  Per the app, or the manual?
2017-1-13
Use props
fansae6de894
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1539 ft
United States

My two cents on this..  Been have the switch to ATTI mode and a couple of TBE moments.  Weather has been nice here in South Dakota the last few days so, knocking off some Winter cob webs...  Upgraded firmware last night and flew today.  1st flight switched to ATTI with the added can't fly into the Sun with forward OA on..  Drove home disappointing with another troublesome flight rather than fun a killer video... Got home and fired thing up to see if there was anything I missed,  Go App telling me to upgrade firmware.  I Just Did that!  Hooked up to the PC and "Refreshed" firmware.  Charged batts, went back out and flew...  No switch to ATTI but now get the expected compass error...   Had turned off forward OA so no problem flying into the low winter Sun...  However,  Did get switched to Vision mode breifly...

So,  Some have issues while others have none...  Its either a component issue on the comp board or a cable routing issue...   

I'd just as soon change out the board or re route the cables my self.  Don't care about warranty...

So, DJI which is it and How can I fix it?
2017-2-18
Use props
ScrappyMan
lvl.1
Flight distance : 8517215 ft
United States

A simple at home DIY fix has been found for the compass noise / redundancy switch issue.  Please see here: http://mavicpilots.com/threads/diy-rear-compass-cabling-fix.8349/
2017-2-20
Use props
t-keeg
lvl.3
Flight distance : 2629813 ft
United States

ScrappyMan Posted at 2017-2-20 07:24
A simple at home DIY fix has been found for the compass noise / redundancy switch issue.  Please see here: http://mavicpilots.com/threads/diy-rear-compass-cabling-fix.8349/

Thanks a million for posting the link to the FIX information.  I just completed the fix by twisting the wires around each other and now I have no more compass errors!
2018-3-25
Use props
Picanoc Jack
First Officer
Flight distance : 10337090 ft
Canada

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-12-29 09:34
Both compass's are still operational, it may switch to the other compass when going into Sport Mode.
If you are getting Magnetic Interference errors, then you may need to calibrate the compass.
Some tips, never calibrate with the arms folded in. Always remove all metal from your person (keys, phone, jewelry, watch) set the RC/device on the ground several feet away from the aircraft then start the calibration.

thanks for that info
2018-7-7
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules