3865 53 2016-12-29
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Nyikhmur
lvl.2
Flight distance : 240354 ft
Hungary

Hi

When fliyng in sport mode or in p-mode above 36 km/h compass 1 gets strong interference and mavic switches to compass 2. It is happening every time during high motor load. It has to be that the wires inside cause induction and therefore magnetic interference to compass 1 under high motor load. In this case with the new firmware of v1.03 and above compass 1 is switched off completely and only compass 2 is used. Im am also getting a compass error message in dji go. In v1.2.9 i only see the high interference in dji go sensors tab. I have seen on the forum that we should not care about this message. Is not it less safe to fly with one working compass? Should i really think that this is normal even though i get the red error message in dji go? Please moderators answer if i should sent it back to repair or is it normal?!

Thank you
2016-12-29
Use props
Enkeixpress
lvl.4
Flight distance : 297497 ft
United Kingdom

Yes, I have the same problem. Contact DJI Support about it and send them the flight log when they ask for it. Your compass board might need replacing. Maybe a new firmware will be releasing soon to fix it.
2016-12-29
Use props
Nyikhmur
lvl.2
Hungary

Enkeixpress Posted at 2016-12-29 09:29
Yes, I have the same problem. Contact DJI Support about it and send them the flight log when they ask for it. Your compass board might need replacing. Maybe a new firmware will be releasing soon to fix it.

I contacted support in e-mail today, but yet no answer. How fast are they in answering? In chat support they did not want any log files...
2016-12-29
Use props
Nyikhmur
lvl.2
Hungary

Nyikhmur Posted at 2016-12-29 09:34
I contacted support in e-mail today, but yet no answer. How fast are they in answering? In chat support they did not want any log files...

If i let go off the throttle, everything goes back to normal, i think it is not a board problem, rather induction coming from the esc during heavy load.
2016-12-29
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

Both compass's are still operational, it may switch to the other compass when going into Sport Mode.
If you are getting Magnetic Interference errors, then you may need to calibrate the compass.
Some tips, never calibrate with the arms folded in. Always remove all metal from your person (keys, phone, jewelry, watch) set the RC/device on the ground several feet away from the aircraft then start the calibration.
Calibrate in an area outdoors with no interference or metal that may be underground (don't calibrate on a roof, or parking structure)
2016-12-29
Use props
Nyikhmur
lvl.2
Hungary

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-12-29 09:34
Both compass's are still operational, it may switch to the other compass when going into Sport Mode.
If you are getting Magnetic Interference errors, then you may need to calibrate the compass.
Some tips, never calibrate with the arms folded in. Always remove all metal from your person (keys, phone, jewelry, watch) set the RC/device on the ground several feet away from the aircraft then start the calibration.

Do you say Ken that this is normal and i should not send it in for repair?? I know how to calibrate. It is not a calibration issue, compass 1 only gets interference when motors are under heavy load. It is a construction issue. Do you say it is safe to fly without compass redundancy?
2016-12-29
Use props
Nyikhmur
lvl.2
Hungary

Nyikhmur Posted at 2016-12-29 09:46
Do you say Ken that this is normal and i should not send it in for repair?? I know how to calibrate. It is not a calibration issue, compass 1 only gets interference when motors are under heavy load. It is a construction issue. Do you say it is safe to fly without compass redundancy?

Either esc or the wires going to the motors get inducted under heavy load, that is what disturbs compass 1. Is this normal operation?
2016-12-29
Use props
Nyikhmur
lvl.2
Hungary

Nyikhmur Posted at 2016-12-29 09:47
Either esc or the wires going to the motors get inducted under heavy load, that is what disturbs compass 1. Is this normal operation?

Ken just answer pleas should i send it for repair or is this normal? If it is normal why do we get the compass switch error message in dji go app?
2016-12-29
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

Nyikhmur Posted at 2016-12-29 09:46

If you get the compass redundancy switching message that is fine, if you get compass error all the time that that is not.
What are the compass readouts in the compass page. Main Controller Settings, Advanced Setting, Sensors, then tap Compass.They should both be in the Green.

I just tested in Sport Mode flying very erratically and I cannot get any compass error.
2016-12-29
Use props
Nyikhmur
lvl.2
Hungary

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-12-29 10:12
If you get the compass redundancy switching message that is fine, if you get compass error all the time that that is not.
What are the compass readouts in the compass page. Main Controller Settings, Advanced Setting, Sensors, then tap Compass.They should both be in the Green.

My normal compass readings are under 20 on both compasses. I only get compass redundancy switch message when in sports mode at high speeds or when p-mode both controller sticks full up position (ascending and full forward) When this happens my reading is around 500 in compass 1 at firmware 1.2.9, but the new firmware 1.3.x is different. It switches to compass 2 and at compass 1 i only get a data error reading message. If i let go off the throttle compass 1 immediately goes back to normal green with readings like 10-20. In the new firmware if the switch once happens to compass 2 it doesnt ever switch back during the flight to compass 1 even it came back to normal value. Is this normal operation?
2016-12-29
Use props
Nyikhmur
lvl.2
Hungary

Nyikhmur Posted at 2016-12-29 10:49
My normal compass readings are under 20 on both compasses. I only get compass redundancy switch message when in sports mode at high speeds or when p-mode both controller sticks full up position (ascending and full forward) When this happens my reading is around 500 in compass 1 at firmware 1.2.9, but the new firmware 1.3.x is different. It switches to compass 2 and at compass 1 i only get a data error reading message. If i let go off the throttle compass 1 immediately goes back to normal green with readings like 10-20. In the new firmware if the switch once happens to compass 2 it doesnt ever switch back during the flight to compass 1 even it came back to normal value. Is this normal operation?

Attached the picture
IMG_0018.jpg
2016-12-29
Use props
Nyikhmur
lvl.2
Hungary

This screen on compass 1 is only with the new fw, with the 1.2.9 i could see the high around 500 values and not this message on compass 1
2016-12-29
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

Nyikhmur Posted at 2016-12-29 10:52
This screen on compass 1 is only with the new fw, with the 1.2.9 i could see the high around 500 values and not this message on compass 1

Ok, I see. Can you do a factory reset from the Assisant2 and see if that helps.It should not be acting like that.
2016-12-29
Use props
Nyikhmur
lvl.2
Hungary

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-12-29 12:40
Ok, I see. Can you do a factory reset from the Assisant2 and see if that helps.It should not be acting like that.

It did not help, what can i do? Should i send it in? If i let go of the throttle it goes back to normal compass 1 values.
2016-12-29
Use props
Nyikhmur
lvl.2
Hungary

Nyikhmur Posted at 2016-12-29 13:47
It did not help, what can i do? Should i send it in? If i let go of the throttle it goes back to normal compass 1 values.

I only get the data error message in sensors as in the picture  when on firmware 1.3.x on older 1.2.9 i only get high values in sport mode but not this message
2016-12-29
Use props
thehippoz
Second Officer
Flight distance : 23 ft
United States

Think they twisted the wires to the rear motors in production (probably not a design error, in production probably twisted them, didn't know any better). What's causing the interference imo. The twist is causing the wire to act like an inductor under load. The new firmware switches around 400 from what I've read. I still run the 1.2.9 here.

If mine ever does a flyaway, I'll take it apart and fix it myself. So far it's been good. I fly with litchi though and force shutdown the dji app on my phone. They have it set to run in the background always. Chinese software running in the background. No thanks
2016-12-29
Use props
Apriliamgt
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1155823 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I have the issue with the newest firmware .. as soon as the stick are released , all seems normal and green flight resumes .

The old firmware again the values on compass 1 go pretty high, but no errors
2016-12-29
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

thehippoz Posted at 2016-12-29 14:08
Think they twisted the wires to the rear motors in production (probably not a design error, in production probably twisted them, didn't know any better). What's causing the interference imo. The twist is causing the wire to act like an inductor under load. The new firmware switches around 400 from what I've read. I still run the 1.2.9 here.

If mine ever does a flyaway, I'll take it apart and fix it myself. So far it's been good. I fly with litchi though and force shutdown the dji app on my phone. They have it set to run in the background always. Chinese software running in the background. No thanks

You do not want to be running the GO app with the Litchi app. There's been a crash before and it was not covered under warranty as both apps were running at the same time.
2016-12-29
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

Nyikhmur Posted at 2016-12-29 13:57
I only get the data error message in sensors as in the picture  when on firmware 1.3.x on older 1.2.9 i only get high values in sport mode but not this message

It's been reported, lets give it some time to see what they say.
Mine does not do it no matter how erratic I fly in Sports Mode, so if refreshing the firmware or factory resetting has not done anything then you may want to think about sending it in.
2016-12-29
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

Apriliamgt Posted at 2016-12-29 14:45
I have the issue with the newest firmware .. as soon as the stick are released , all seems normal and green flight resumes .

The old firmware again the values on compass 1 go pretty high, but no errors

Read the above post as it would apply to you as well.
2016-12-29
Use props
thehippoz
Second Officer
Flight distance : 23 ft
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-12-29 14:51
You do not want to be running the GO app with the Litchi app. There's been a crash before and it was not covered under warranty as both apps were running at the same time.

Meant the go app, it runs all the time. You have to kill. It's not benign software as it should be. Look at how much battery it drains over time too.
2016-12-29
Use props
djinayda
lvl.1

Puerto Rico

I have the same problem and sometime it causes the aircraft to not be responsive and if you don't have strong gps signal the situation can get very  dicey.
2016-12-29
Use props
djinayda
lvl.1

Puerto Rico

2016-12-29
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

thehippoz Posted at 2016-12-29 16:43
Meant the go app, it runs all the time. You have to kill. It's not benign software as it should be. Look at how much battery it drains over time too.

If your on Android, you can force stop the app.
2016-12-29
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

djinayda Posted at 2016-12-29 17:41
https://youtu.be/_OWM6Za_u5E

Try another compass calibration, this time stand up and have the aircraft several feet off the ground and make sure nothing metal is in your pockets.
Also, set your RC down farther away from the aircraft, you had a RC only a few feet away.
When I calibrate, I set the RC/tablet about 10ft away hit start and then walk over and pick up the aircraft.
I also stand with and hold it with my arms extended and I slowly turn around keeping the aircraft level. Then tip it forward and do the same thing. I have never once had a compass issue doing it that way.

And here's probably your biggest issue, the 2nd part of the calibration you turned the aircraft sideways and you must face it downwards.Please study the entire manual as not knowing basic procedures can lead to a crash.
Screen Shot 2016-12-29 at 9.32.58 PM.png
2016-12-29
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

djinayda Posted at 2016-12-29 17:40
I have the same problem and sometime it causes the aircraft to not be responsive and if you don't have strong gps signal the situation can get very  dicey.

Are you calibrating the compass correctly per the manual.
The video above from another user is having issues and I'm guessing it's due to the improper compass calibration.

See my post above.
2016-12-29
Use props
Apriliamgt
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I've always calibrated the way the app shows you ..
2016-12-29
Use props
Nyikhmur
lvl.2
Hungary

Apriliamgt Posted at 2016-12-29 23:00
I've always calibrated the way the app shows you ..

Hi DJI Ken, do you have some info for me?
2016-12-30
Use props
nX2unjzBz6WE
lvl.2
Flight distance : 371601 ft
Costa Rica

Same problem here after firmware update. Did calibration again, problem persists. Was not a problem before latest firmware.
2017-1-1
Use props
Royal
New
Flight distance : 208720 ft
Portugal

Well, I tried today the Sport mode for the first time and this problem also happens to me. After full throttle for 15 seconds or so, I get the compass error. As soon as I release the stick and the mavic slows down, the error goes away but it comes back a few seconds if I full throthle again. If I don't stop and continue full throttle after the error appears, I don't feel any weird behavior, the controls responds fast enough. I have calibrated it immediatelly after the first error but it didn't solve the issue.
2017-1-8
Use props
Royal
New
Portugal

Here is an example - after 6 seconds flying in Sport, I get the "Warning:Compass Redundancy Switch" -  http://healthydrones.com/main?share=bnZYkN
2017-1-8
Use props
z4k4tt4ck
lvl.3
Flight distance : 535 ft
Australia

So you have already read that Dji have said this is normal and should be ignored. If you are after conformation... Just reread what you have already read.?
2017-1-8
Use props
Royal
New
Portugal

z4k4tt4ck Posted at 2017-1-8 11:35
So you have already read that Dji have said this is normal and should be ignored. If you are after conformation... Just reread what you have already read.?

Sorry, where is that DJI statement?
2017-1-9
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

nX2unjzBz6WE Posted at 2017-1-1 00:50
Same problem here after firmware update. Did calibration again, problem persists. Was not a problem before latest firmware.

It is not a problem, it is normal, after 1.3.0.0 the compass logic was updated. If it happens to go into ATTI mode then both compass's are very high interference.
2017-1-9
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

Royal Posted at 2017-1-8 11:33
Here is an example - after 6 seconds flying in Sport, I get the "Warning:Compass Redundancy Switch" -  http://healthydrones.com/main?share=bnZYkN

This is normal and just letting you know that the compass's are switching.
2017-1-9
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

Royal Posted at 2017-1-9 02:17
Sorry, where is that DJI statement?

This is normal and was added in the 1.3..0. firmware.
2017-1-9
Use props
Nyikhmur
lvl.2
Hungary

DJI-Ken Posted at 2017-1-9 07:20
This is normal and was added in the 1.3..0. firmware.

Neither compass should get such interference from the mavic itself! If the interference is in the environment thats another thing, but in this case the mavic itself causes the interference to the compass if pushed to higher motor load for example sport mode. There are a lot of mavics which never have this issue no matter how fast you fly or what you do with the controller sticks. With this error you lose your redundancy when flying which is dangerous. I suggest to everyone having this problem to send back their units for repair because it is a hardware failure. With the new software the mavic can switch compasses, and therefore able to avoid a possible fly away. But that does not mean that your unit is working as it was designed!
2017-1-10
Use props
Apriliamgt
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I've sent mine back for this issue . Just waiting for the repair report . Should have this tomorrow. Will let you know what dji find
2017-1-10
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

Nyikhmur Posted at 2017-1-10 09:42
Neither compass should get such interference from the mavic itself! If the interference is in the environment thats another thing, but in this case the mavic itself causes the interference to the compass if pushed to higher motor load for example sport mode. There are a lot of mavics which never have this issue no matter how fast you fly or what you do with the controller sticks. With this error you lose your redundancy when flying which is dangerous. I suggest to everyone having this problem to send back their units for repair because it is a hardware failure. With the new software the mavic can switch compasses, and therefore able to avoid a possible fly away. But that does not mean that your unit is working as it was designed!

The switching compass is totally normal as one may get interference during sport mode. This only lasts for a second or so then the other compass is operational.
So there is no need to send your aircraft in.
2017-1-10
Use props
Apriliamgt
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Yes but a lot of us are getting high nose numbers on compass 1

And getting a big flashing red scrolling sign

"Compass error, please move aircraft " and only goes away.

Again this seems to be related to noise being created when under high load of the motors/esc
2017-1-10
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules