Nervous to fly
2562 25 2016-12-29
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fanseb85c303
lvl.3

United States

I am one of the people waiting to receive their drone and I am constantly studying, reading and watching tutorials as I wait but everyday I come on here I see experienced flyers losing contact or unable to land their mavics.  Am I the only one nervous to fly this. It's once it gets delivered.  I just wish I heard a few more success stories.  I know most people don't tell the good but I hate coming on here sometimes and reading about new issues daily.
2016-12-29
Use props
Enkeixpress
lvl.4
Flight distance : 297497 ft
United Kingdom

Upon receiving your Mavic Pro. Make sure that everything is working properly, lights, motors, is the gimbal correctly level and balanced? Any dust in the lens? Check everything. Also I'd probably hold off on updating to the latest firmware if I were you, I think it messes up the compass board. You'll be receiving a red error message about a redundant compass switch when just flying along as normal. It will annoy you quite a bit. So my best advice is to keep the Mavic on the firmware it arrives with. At least until a new firmware is released that fixes the compass error issue.
2016-12-29
Use props
fanseb85c303
lvl.3

United States

Thank you express good to know.  I appreciate the tips.  I really am taking every precaution and even bought a syma drone to practice with everyday.  I've gotten quite good at flying.  I even got a phantom 3 standard to practice with as well.  
2016-12-29
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

No need to be nervous, no harm being careful, try having a preflight check list before your first flight, use your first flight to test i.e.  take off landing hovering and how responsive aircraft is to the controls etc, if it's your first drone set it up in beginner mode, it will only be a couple of flights before you graduate to big boy flying. Although these aircraft are relatively easy to fly they take a bit of practice to master. Read the manual and keep using it as a reference. Enjoy the experience it's a great hobby pastime. Good luck!!!,
2016-12-29
Use props
brewweasel
New

United States

I agree, no reason to be nervous.  Just go somewhere where there are very few obstacles and have fun.  Practice flying shapes with the front of the drone always pointed away from you (squares, figure 8's ectc.) It's easier with a "bigger shape pattern"  Once you get good at those, make the pattern smaller, and then when you are comfortable with that, practice them except always keep the drone flying forward.

I've only ever flown very basic quads (no GPS / accelerometer positioning)  before getting my Mavic.  This thing is the easiest drone to fly by far.  It's super stable, and in beginner mode it won't really let you fly to far out.  I turned off beginner mode after about 4 flights. If you are still having issues in Beginner mode, you might want to try putting it in tripod mode too, as it seems to make the controls even less sensitive.  
2016-12-29
Use props
FPVJunkie
lvl.2
Flight distance : 66421 ft
United States

One thing I read on another post kinda stuck with me and made complete sense. The majority of the posts in a forum are from people having an issue (trying to get it resolved), but then there are many people out there who have the Mavic who haven't had any issues and don't post their experience because there are no problems.

Definitely just take it slow and find a wide open space to fly it around in. A lot of crashes that I've seen were people trying to fly indoors, or beyond their own abilities. Best advice, read the manual and understand all the features front to back.
2016-12-29
Use props
c_future
lvl.4
Austria

100% agree
2016-12-29
Use props
fanseb85c303
lvl.3

United States

Good advice by everyone thanks.  I practically have the manual memorized I just get concerned when I see posts about people's mavics that won't land or fly off to sea.  
2016-12-29
Use props
FrequentFlyer
lvl.4
United States

Most people will come and complain. Alot of the problems are user error, if you read you manual and practice safe flying you should be ok. Just think there are lost of people out there flying Mavics and have nothing to complain about so thats why you dont see as much as post.
2016-12-29
Use props
Parrotheadcubs
lvl.1

United States

I think I've watched every single YouTube video on the Mavic.  At some point you just have to fly the thing, that's the only way to get rid of the nerves of it.  Just don't take your first flight downtown!
2016-12-29
Use props
Incredible Aeri
lvl.2

United States

When you read reports of people crashing the Mavic, they are not experienced pilots. I run the latest firmware and I dont use automatic maneuvers ever and never will. Never had a problem withe the Phantom 2, Inspire 1 and now the Mavic.

Dont let these "cool" new features blind you from flying properly. I would wait about 6 months of solid firmware updates. If you ever want to run these auto features, make sure you are in a huge flat plane with no obstacles to make sure yours is working correctly.
2016-12-29
Use props
MarcusPolus
lvl.2
United States

I think
Incredible Aeri  
Is right... learn the basic and fundamentals of flight... when all goes wrong your skills will bring it back..
Keep your stuff up to date and keep your head up to date..
Everything else is not fixable or avoidable.. as long as you have the others taken care of..

I think
2016-12-29
Use props
HENROCK67
lvl.2
Flight distance : 35020 ft
United States

first time drone the pilot here, got my mavic a couple weeks ago and I understand what your saying couple of tips I have for you are definitely fly in an open field first just to see how it handles (stable as a rock) then when u get the hang of it try flying it in an area you are familiar with just so your more comfortable. Most importantly (to me anyways)  change the settings on the remote so they make sense to you. First couple of flights for me would start by me thinking "OK what does what again?" then I changed the remote to mode 3 (mode 2 is default). I play some FPS video games and I feel like mode 3 is a lot better suited for FPS gamers. After I did that I felt way more comfortable and have been sending it out longer distances. The other thing I did was changed the camera settings  (couple of YouTube videos  helped with this)  to slow the camera movements down a little just to help with better videos. You'll be fine just take it slow.   
2016-12-29
Use props
HENROCK67
lvl.2
United States

my biggest fear at first was it flying away from me while doing the auto return to home so i waited till today to try that out and that worked perfect.
2016-12-29
Use props
pashadowops
lvl.1

United States

HENROCK67 Posted at 2016-12-29 14:05
my biggest fear at first was it flying away from me while doing the auto return to home so i waited till today to try that out and that worked perfect.

I was fearful the first time too but, I gt over it. Check out my boring fearful first flight on a dreary December afternoon. I edited out the part where I inadvertently flew between two power lines. I froze and didn't know what to do so I just let go of the sticks and let her hover while I got my wits about me and brought her home. I figure now that the near miss is out of the way I can get on with learning and start having some fun. Here's the link;    

Enjoy!
2016-12-29
Use props
fanseb85c303
lvl.3

United States

What camera and video settings do u recommend
2016-12-29
Use props
HENROCK67
lvl.2
United States

Here is the video I went by

My settings went back to default after the firmware updates so keep that in mind after updating.
2016-12-29
Use props
Blade Breaker 0
lvl.2

United States

Don't hold off on firmware updates. Update everything and enjoy! Mavic has been flawless for me. Not sure was device you plan on using but iPad mini I s GREAT! Had some issues with a non approved android device but that was my fault.
2016-12-29
Use props
VDR
lvl.2
Flight distance : 24619 ft
Canada

As noted above, most folks that have no problems have nothing to report—so they aren't cruising the forums looking to post "all clear!" messages every day. The same sort of fervour for errors and issues crops up on camera forums I frequent (and presumably whatever other forums you could think of). Mountains are made of molehills.

Take it easy. Start slow. Find a big, empty field. Read the local laws. Don't crash it into the tv in your living room. Everything should be fine…
2016-12-29
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

Most everyone posts the negative and leaves out the positive. Also a lot of the people complain about is easily resolved by knowing the manual and having a understanding of the features, functions, and especially the limitations.
The Mavic has a manufacture warranty so their is no need to be stressed out and worried.
2016-12-29
Use props
fansaf7f039a
New

United States

DJI has already released several updates for the Mavic. Not sure why you believe that updates are messing up the compass. I updated twice without any issues.
2016-12-29
Use props
fansaf7f039a
New

United States

Enkeixpress Posted at 2016-12-29 09:34
Upon receiving your Mavic Pro. Make sure that everything is working properly, lights, motors, is the gimbal correctly level and balanced? Any dust in the lens? Check everything. Also I'd probably hold off on updating to the latest firmware if I were you, I think it messes up the compass board. You'll be receiving a red error message about a redundant compass switch when just flying along as normal. It will annoy you quite a bit. So my best advice is to keep the Mavic on the firmware it arrives with. At least until a new firmware is released that fixes the compass error issue.

DJI has already released several updates for the Mavic. Not sure why you believe that updates are messing up the compass. I updated twice without any issues.
2016-12-29
Use props
Watty2000
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1074301 ft
United Kingdom

HENROCK67 Posted at 2016-12-29 19:23
Here is the video I went by
https://youtu.be/C93n2ib8JcU
My settings went back to default after the firmware updates so keep that in mind after updating.

I love your avatar!
2016-12-30
Use props
MikeQView
lvl.4
United Kingdom

i wrote a quick list, for when i received mine :-

1) update RC controller
2) update Mavic
3) up date each battery
4) do the VPS calibration
5) do the RC sticks calibration
6) do the IMU calibration
7) do the Compass calibration
8) go through the app and set your prefered settings start at the top of general and go through the lot
( Note, when doing calibrations get as far away from things like speakers, laptops, cars, metal, power wires of any sort ( that includes overhead ones too)

on start up i first power up the RC, then power up the Mavic then power up the phone/tablet ( i always turn off Wifi and anything else not needed for the flight,  ensure all unused apps are are cleared too, the cleaner your screen device the more reliable the flight),  i clicked the box so that Go 4 app starts with this device too.

Since doing it in that order and all of them, it hasnt misssed a beat !   i would love more knowledge on the Go app but hey,

Also understand GPS's limitations and magnetic interference and rc interference,  once you understand these things you will see why you shouldnt really sit in your car and fly your mavic ( not saying you cant) or trying to fly between metal containers etc, ( again not saying you cant )  just be aware of why your craft can or may loose connection or get upset will really help safe gaurd your machine,  use a cheap little hubsan to get used to the drift when GPS mode looses reliable connection and goes into Atti mode ( god i would love an actual Atti mode switch or button on the App,  please DJI !  or option for C2)   also set your failsafe return to home height 15 mtrs higher than what is around you, ( be mindfull of the 400ft rule though)

best of luck to all new Mavic flyers
2016-12-30
Use props
BrandonA614
lvl.2
Flight distance : 813593 ft
United States

My MAVIC crashed on the first day due to a GPS error. DJI replaced it under warranty at no charge. I'll admit that when I got it back, I was very reluctant to push it. So what I've done is take it out in a field and do circuits. I've been pushing this new quad really hard and so far it seems to be holding up well. I haven't taken it too far yet(2000ft), but if I get a few more weeks of successful flights I'll give it a shot. I hope you enjoy yours, it really is fun when it works properly.
2016-12-30
Use props
pashadowops
lvl.1

United States

fanseb85c303 Posted at 2016-12-29 17:55
What camera and video settings do u recommend

I  haven't had a chance to really play with it yet. Matter of fact, I left the gimble cover on I was so paranoid of crashing, . I just used whatever the default settings were on this flight. Next time I will take note and post settings along with video. :-)
2016-12-31
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules