P3S constant in and out compass errors
1354 16 2016-12-29
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
pjhudson
lvl.2
Flight distance : 4820 ft
United States

Is 8 compass errors in a 6 minute flight in a huge wide open field normal? I did all of the calibration dirty dancing techniques etc. and imu calibration, level ground etc. so many times I lost count. I'm about to take this thing back as I cannot fly it anywhere without losing GPS and shooting off 20 mph in a random direction-- I would have lost it by now had I not practiced with a Zyma before flying this thing. Is this normal?  Here is the flight log-- every one of my flights are pretty much like this one-   http://healthydrones.com/main?share=xsAfNK
2016-12-29
Use props
Untheory
lvl.2
Flight distance : 58045 ft
France

If the drone is relatively new, bring it back to the store where you bought it I guess.

BTW, on the map, it doesn't seem to have electrical wires or anything that could do some magnetic interferences so that's not normal for me.
2016-12-29
Use props
pjhudson
lvl.2
United States

Untheory Posted at 2016-12-29 13:15
If the drone is relatively new, bring it back to the store where you bought it I guess.

BTW, on the map, it doesn't seem to have electrical wires or anything that could do some magnetic interferences so that's not normal for me.

Thank you for the reply-  I took it to this field because there aren't any power lines or large buildings etc. around, the field is commonly used for huge RC flying events so I have a hard time believing that there is that much magnetic interference.
2016-12-29
Use props
Untheory
lvl.2
Flight distance : 58045 ft
France

Is the drone new ?
2016-12-29
Use props
pjhudson
lvl.2
United States

Yeah about 2 weeks
2016-12-29
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

pjhudson Posted at 2016-12-29 13:23
Thank you for the reply-  I took it to this field because there aren't any power lines or large buildings etc. around, the field is commonly used for huge RC flying events so I have a hard time believing that there is that much magnetic interference.

Where did you perform the compass calibration? Usually compass errors in flight indicate you got a bad calibration on the ground.
2016-12-29
Use props
pjhudson
lvl.2
United States

Geebax Posted at 2016-12-29 14:14
Where did you perform the compass calibration? Usually compass errors in flight indicate you got a bad calibration on the ground.

in the middle of the open field there well away from my phone/controller and everything -- previously I had performed the IMU and compass calibrations in a large parking lot, I checked the mod values and they were hovering around 1500 but I still got the in/out compass errors in flight. That is why I went to the large field to test if it was caused by the parking lot location but the compass errors still happened as usual.
2016-12-29
Use props
solentlife
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1087530 ft
Russia

http://www.phantompilots.com/thr ... mpass-basics.99977/

To save typing it all out again .... please see above link post.

Just because a field appears clear - it may not be best compass area.

Second Stop keep calibrating ! Its like the guys who cannot leave the needle alone on their fuel engines. They have the dead stick engines, troubles in the air. Set up and leave alone unless really necessary.

Nigel
2016-12-29
Use props
pjhudson
lvl.2
United States

solentlife Posted at 2016-12-29 14:30
http://www.phantompilots.com/threads/what-manual-says-for-compass-error-compass-basics.99977/

To save typing it all out again .... please see above link post.

Thanks Nigel, I read that link already and did everything suggested as I have been having the compass error ever since day one. The reason I've calibrated over and over again and tested in multiple locations is because I can't fly anywhere without getting compass errors within 30 seconds of the flight. Most of the errors last about 4 seconds but the last flight--posted above--- left me in atti mode to manually fly my drone back to me and land it without GPS... about 30 seconds. Now I don't trust the thing in the air unless it's 15 feet away from me in a huge open field.
2016-12-29
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

pjhudson Posted at 2016-12-29 14:44
Thanks Nigel, I read that link already and did everything suggested as I have been having the compass error ever since day one. The reason I've calibrated over and over again and tested in multiple locations is because I can't fly anywhere without getting compass errors within 30 seconds of the flight. Most of the errors last about 4 seconds but the last flight--posted above--- left me in atti mode to manually fly my drone back to me and land it without GPS... about 30 seconds. Now I don't trust the thing in the air unless it's 15 feet away from me in a huge open field.

Perhaps is may be necessary to replace the compass. I don't know about the Standard, but for the Advanced and Pro you can buy a set of new legs with compass installed for very little money.
2016-12-29
Use props
solentlife
Second Officer
Russia

I am one who thinks learning to fly these without GPS / Compass is worthwhile. I come from fixed wing flying and this has given me a sense to manually fly. I have helicopters and small multi-rotors where its a necessary ability.
When flying my P3S - I often revert to manual - especially landing to keep that skill set.

As another says - it may need a new compass unit.

OK - one item that manual fails to mention .... when you power up - don't just immediately go for calibration. Let model stand a short bit so GPS has chance to lock on. Then do the compass dance. The two items are complimentary to each other.

Nigel
2016-12-29
Use props
pjhudson
lvl.2
United States

solentlife Posted at 2016-12-29 16:05
I am one who thinks learning to fly these without GPS / Compass is worthwhile. I come from fixed wing flying and this has given me a sense to manually fly. I have helicopters and small multi-rotors where its a necessary ability.
When flying my P3S - I often revert to manual - especially landing to keep that skill set.

Hi Nigel, thank you again for your reply and advice. I'll try the compass calibration again after it's connected to GPS etc. - I just downgraded one version of firmware and re-upgraded to the latest firmware just to see if that will help, if not, I may try the previous firmware and see what happens.

On flying manually- I agree with you which is how I was able to keep it from flying away from me. If I had not practiced on the zyma and also on the phantom both in simulator and in atti mode then I think the phantom might have gotten away from me-- especially on the last flight as it did not reconnect to GPS until I grounded it.

One other note-- I noticed that each of the longer times (more than 1 second) that the compass error showed there was a plane flying in the vicinity- not directly overhead though. I wonder if that is the cause of it. There is alot of air traffic here- an airport about 7-10 miles away and planes flying overhead frequently.
2016-12-29
Use props
PaulSouthport
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1448799 ft
United Kingdom

There have been a lot of reports of bad compasses on the P3S

In my case I had my 1st P3S replaced under UK sale of goods act, the 2nd had the same problem. So I replaced the compass myself. Problem solved. I have since flown many times in the same locations with not a single error.

http://forum.dji.com/thread-74575-1-1.html
http://forum.dji.com/thread-72856-1-1.html

... just to add to that - over the last few days I've flown in temps down to 2C, no compass errors, all good - so the temp was a red herring. Replacing the compass cost £12 and an hour of my time.
2016-12-29
Use props
pjhudson
lvl.2
United States

PaulSouthport Posted at 2016-12-29 16:37
There have been a lot of reports of bad compasses on the P3S

In my case I had my 1st P3S replaced under UK sale of goods act, the 2nd had the same problem. So I replaced the compass myself. Problem solved. I have since flown many times in the same locations with not a single error.

Hi Paulsouthport- just read your posts- your experience is exactly like mine. I can induce compass errors by turning the aircraft to the left about 10-12 degrees. Also, when I do get it to hover in place at altitude (any), when I yaw (usually to the left) I can almost guarantee a compass error and exit p-gps. I also get intermittent toilet bowl effects.  I am just a little bit jitterish opening the shell to replace the compass when the machine is only a few weeks off the retailer's shelf and still under warranty.
2016-12-29
Use props
PaulSouthport
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1448799 ft
United Kingdom

I had the same hesitation, should be unnecessary.
But after a retailer replacement and the idea of sending off over the holidays - when I should be flying - and having being a builder of planes, helis, quads for the last 10 years - for me it was a no brainer.

If you get a DJI RMA, they will replace the compass. You may just have to wait for it....
2016-12-29
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

solentlife Posted at 2016-12-29 16:05

'OK - one item that manual fails to mention .... when you power up - don't just immediately go for calibration. Let model stand a short bit so GPS has chance to lock on. Then do the compass dance. The two items are complimentary to each other.'

Please, the GPS has no influence on the compass or vice versa. In fact, if you tip the aircraft on its side as required when calibrating the compass, it will often lose lock on all satellites.

2016-12-29
Use props
solentlife
Second Officer
Russia

I won't give the reply I would if we were in a bar having a beer together .... just suffice it say .... read the last section of the FAQ in the manual ......

Nigel
2016-12-29
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules