894 8 2016-12-30
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fansd4f7f69b
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2204462 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

If you're filming with Drones in winter. Battery Management is king. Using an Inspire 1, don't be with-out battery heaters! What else if everyone else using?

https://ikopta.co.uk/testing-dji-inspire-1-battery-heater/

2016-12-30
Use props
ETA
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3032966 ft
  • >>>
United States

I live in the Northeast in the US and i fly often in the winter.   I use the dji heater and it works well.   I also encase the battery compartment in XPS foam on days sub 30° F  that keeps things toasty.

Keeping everything warm when in the field is difficult.   A good insulated cooler with a layer of heated bricks works well when no AC power is available.
2016-12-30
Use props
Cat and Otter
lvl.2
Flight distance : 559183 ft
United States

Copied from an earlier post I made:

I recently started to keep my batteries in a little lunch-sized cooler with a couple of the disposable chemical hand warmer packs rubber banded to them. Overkill? Probably. But when you have a job and need to get-r-done when the temp is 10 degrees F (-12c), eliminating as many potential risks is paramount.

Added benefit: as you use the batteries, you can use the hand warmers for what they were designed for!
2016-12-30
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

Cat and Otter Posted at 2016-12-30 06:59
Copied from an earlier post I made:

I recently started to keep my batteries in a little lunch-sized cooler with a couple of the disposable chemical hand warmer packs rubber banded to them. Overkill? Probably. But when you have a job and need to get-r-done when the temp is 10 degrees F (-12c), eliminating as many potential risks is paramount.

It's a nice 'kill two birds with one stone' type of scenario. Do you also have some sort of barrier between the battery and the hand warmer packs? Just in case one of the packs develops a hole randomly?
2016-12-30
Use props
Mark Guille
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2031818 ft
Jersey

Pocketses, my precious.
2016-12-30
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

I couldn't help but read this in Smeagol's voice.
2016-12-30
Use props
Cat and Otter
lvl.2
Flight distance : 559183 ft
United States

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2016-12-30 11:50
It's a nice 'kill two birds with one stone' type of scenario. Do you also have some sort of barrier between the battery and the hand warmer packs? Just in case one of the packs develops a hole randomly?

The batteries do have the insulation stickers but the hand warmers are a dry, granule, air activated chemical so no need to worry about "spillage".
2016-12-31
Use props
MHM2016
lvl.2
Flight distance : 176565 ft
United Kingdom

Cat and Otter Posted at 2016-12-31 05:35
The batteries do have the insulation stickers but the hand warmers are a dry, granule, air activated chemical so no need to worry about "spillage".

I've used the gel type reusable hand warmers with great success. I always make sure they're sealed in poly bags and use little mobile phone socks to avoid too much heat on the battery surface.
Generally I put 1 of these either side of the battery in a good insulating walking sock to help contain the heat.
I get them out at 28 to 30 degrees consistently so always seems to work well for me for ambient temps at around 0c.
2016-12-31
Use props
MHM2016
lvl.2
Flight distance : 176565 ft
United Kingdom

I've used the gel type reusable hand warmers with great success. I always make sure they're sealed in poly bags and use little mobile phone socks to avoid too much heat on the battery surface.
Generally I put 1 of these either side of the battery in a good insulating walking sock to help contain the heat.
I get them out at 28 to 30 degrees consistently so always seems to work well for me for ambient temps at around 0c.

*** Sorry Guys. Rookie mistake. I posted this reply in the wrong place previously :-) ***
2016-12-31
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules