MAVIC PRO - GIMBAL VIBRATION
8833 23 2016-12-30
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fans1202288d
lvl.2
Flight distance : 37398 ft
Canada

Ok, so let preface this - I live in canada, and I just tried to use the drone outside. I thought I had updated the firmware, prior to it's first flight, what I didn't realize is that there is a button that says you have to update it once the file was downloaded.

My concern at the moment is that there's a gimbal vibration - you can see it. it's like the Ronin (if you've ever used one) where is shakes - I don't know if it's the wind, or the cold, or if i i didn't calibrate correctly.

I will follow up with another video, again shot in the cold and in a similar space, with the full upgrade. I'm hoping it will solve the issue. I'm hoping someone from DJI could give me some insight.

Further more, I don't know how to do this, but Is there a possibility to use the right wheel to have the camera roll on the z axis? I know when you select portrait mode the camera rotates 90 degrees, I'd love to have manual control over that. It would be sweet and I don't know how to do it.

This is my first drone, and I'm taking things slow, I haven't done sport mode, and am still going slowly through all the features - so please don't patronize.

2016-12-30
Use props
Crisisremix
lvl.2

United States

Whats the temperature when you were flying the Mavic? With the brand new firmware it kind of resolves the issue with flying in the cold. People that have been flying the mavic in the cold have been putting hot packs on the mavic just so its warm even before take off. When you fly the Mavic make sure you hover for like a couple min just so the aircraft and battery gets warm enough.
2016-12-30
Use props
fans1202288d
lvl.2
Canada

Crisisremix Posted at 2016-12-30 14:19
Whats the temperature when you were flying the Mavic? With the brand new firmware it kind of resolves the issue with flying in the cold. People that have been flying the mavic in the cold have been putting hot packs on the mavic just so its warm even before take off. When you fly the Mavic make sure you hover for like a couple min just so the aircraft and battery gets warm enough.

Cool! it was -4C - I figured that could be the issue so I will post a new video tomorrow to check it out. I honestly thought it was updated, but like i said, - i brought it inside and did it again and recalibrated my gimbal! Thank you for the suggestion!
2016-12-30
Use props
Crisisremix
lvl.2

United States

fans1202288d Posted at 2016-12-30 14:21
Cool! it was -4C - I figured that could be the issue so I will post a new video tomorrow to check it out. I honestly thought it was updated, but like i said, - i brought it inside and did it again and recalibrated my gimbal! Thank you for the suggestion!

as for the z-axis i believe you can assign it to c1, c2, or 5D. https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/ ... ser+Manual+V1.2.pdf
heres the websites manual go straight to page 9
2016-12-30
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

Are you operating within the camera temperature specs?
Your video is over 3 minutes, what minute/second do you see this and I will look.
Also, if you hold down C2 and turn the camera settings dial it will adjust the roll on the fly.
There's an issue and it will also adjust the exposure.
2016-12-30
Use props
fans1202288d
lvl.2
Canada

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-12-30 14:29
Are you operating within the camera temperature specs?
Your video is over 3 minutes, what minute/second do you see this and I will look.
Also, if you hold down C2 and turn the camera settings dial it will adjust the roll on the fly.

The vibration I am talking about happens throughout the video - but one specific one happens around the 1:04 Mark. The Temp was around -4C (slightly out of range)

I will try the C2 Button tip! Thank you!!!
2016-12-30
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

fans1202288d Posted at 2016-12-30 14:32
The vibration I am talking about happens throughout the video - but one specific one happens around the 1:04 Mark. The Temp was around -4C (slightly out of range)

I will try the C2 Button tip! Thank you!!!

I didn't really see a vibration, it seemed like the camera went just a touch blurry for a split second.Could that have been a refocus.
See if it happens when operating within the temp specs.
2016-12-30
Use props
fans1202288d
lvl.2
Canada

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-12-30 14:42
I didn't really see a vibration, it seemed like the camera went just a touch blurry for a split second.Could that have been a refocus.
See if it happens when operating within the temp specs.

it's definitely there - it's a shake, and i was focused to infinity. it's a horizontal shake. it happens throughout the video.
2016-12-30
Use props
fans1202288d
lvl.2
Canada

as for the the z rotation - I've the motor toggling from landscape to portrait - I was wondering if i could get fine motor control of this? Maybe on my right wheel i could control the z axis rotation. Your other suggestion to use C2 and the wheel, was to level the horizon, I'd love to be able to control the Z axis tilt while flying for a very cool visual effect.

Video attached.
2016-12-30
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

fans1202288d Posted at 2016-12-30 14:48
it's definitely there - it's a shake, and i was focused to infinity. it's a horizontal shake. it happens throughout the video.

Ok, see what happens when within operating temp.
You can also do a gimbal calibration, or a factory reset from the Assistant2.
2016-12-30
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

fans1202288d Posted at 2016-12-30 14:53
as for the the z rotation - I've the motor toggling from landscape to portrait - I was wondering if i could get fine motor control of this? Maybe on my right wheel i could control the z axis rotation. Your other suggestion to use C2 and the wheel, was to level the horizon, I'd love to be able to control the Z axis tilt while flying for a very cool visual effect.

Video attached. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycemj26xZJs&feature=youtu.be

The tilt is controlled by the gimbal dial. It can also be adjusted to move from very slowly to very fast. And the wheel also adjusts the speed, barely turn the wheel for slow and move the full travel to move faster.

I think that's what you are talking about, do you mean the effect like this tilting up to reveal the house and mountains?

2016-12-30
Use props
fans1202288d
lvl.2
Canada

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-12-30 15:17
The tilt is controlled by the gimbal dial. It can also be adjusted to move from very slowly to very fast. And the wheel also adjusts the speed, barely turn the wheel for slow and move the full travel to move faster.

I think that's what you are talking about, do you mean the effect like this tilting up to reveal the house and mountains?

that is not what i'm trying to achieve.

Imagine you are holding a post card, 16x9 aspect. You take a pencil, and you poke a hole right through the exact centre of the card. Now, spin the card on the pencil.

The roll that I want to achieve, is that action described above. We know the camera can move from landscape to portrait, now i'm wondering if i can program my second wheel that's normally used for Shutter, to rotate that axis.
2016-12-30
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

fans1202288d Posted at 2016-12-30 15:30
that is not what i'm trying to achieve.

Imagine you are holding a post card, 16x9 aspect. You take a pencil, and you poke a hole right through the exact centre of the card. Now, spin the card on the pencil.

OK, you said tilt, you are talking about roll.
You cannot adjust it dramatically to give an effect if that is what you are looking for.
You can only adjust it to correct for horizon tilting where you need to fine tune it by moving the roll axis in small increments.
You can do that in the Gimbal tab by adjusting gimbal roll. Or like I stated before, holding down C2 and then you can roll the same way but currently it also adjusts exposure.
2016-12-30
Use props
fans1202288d
lvl.2
Canada

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-12-30 15:49
OK, you said tilt, you are talking about roll.
You cannot adjust it dramatically to give an effect if that is what you are looking for.
You can only adjust it to correct for horizon tilting where you need to fine tune it by moving the roll axis in small increments.

I see. That's cool - I'm hoping in a firmware update we could possibly have that ability, I mean even going 90Degrees worth a roll is still an awesome thing to be able to do. If you can forward it to your programing team, and see if it's indeed possible with an updated firmware fix! Would be really neat!
2016-12-30
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

fans1202288d Posted at 2016-12-30 16:44
I see. That's cool - I'm hoping in a firmware update we could possibly have that ability, I mean even going 90Degrees worth a roll is still an awesome thing to be able to do. If you can forward it to your programing team, and see if it's indeed possible with an updated firmware fix! Would be really neat!

You can send the request yourself. From the home page, tap Me, then More, then Feedback.
2016-12-30
Use props
fans1202288d
lvl.2
Canada

UPDATE - So the vibration that i mentioned isn't happening anymore - i feel that the firmware upgrade handled that well. I also operated in the same conditions, and it seems to be fine.

HOWEVER - i have discoverd two new things. A twitch (which i'm not sure what caused - wind maybe? can it do that?) and a flicker. You can see the propeller in frame, and the sun is to the right of it, there's a strobing flicker - My ISO was 100, 3200 shutter, and Dlog color profile - is it maybe cause my shutter was catching the shadow of the blades?

check it out, let me know what's going on.

2017-1-1
Use props
fansc092c336
New

Australia

RE: MAVIC PRO - GIMBAL VIBRATION

I'm having issues very similar to your initial video that haven't seemed to be resolved with any of the recalibrations, switching blades, the new firmware or even downloading the app and performing an advanced calibration.

Video 1:
Video 2:

These were shot in Iceland and then the UK in temperatures from 2C to 7C with DLOG and very little wind (no warnings on battery temperature or wind).

Theres an evident hum or vibration in the video with loss of focus on subjects.

Had to bin 3 weeks of footage from my once in lifetime trip in Iceland (I'm in Australia so 30 hours flying to iceland won't happen again).

Have contacted DJI and waiting for their RMA but had to wait 9 weeks after I paid for the fly more package for it to be delivered, I have it for 4 weeks and then have to send it away for repairs.

Really devastated at this.

2017-1-12
Use props
fans03d5b9aa
lvl.1
Flight distance : 793202 ft
Spain

I'm having shaking issues with my mavic, and i think it's caused by the gimbal. The thing is the mavic was working fine for more than a month, and after a long travel by car when i tried a fly in a little windy situation, the mavic started to shake. The footage wasn't affected but i preferred don't try again under that condition.

I returned to home and the shaky situation persisted with no wind; indoors too. I tried gimbal, imu, compass and controller calibration and it didn't work. I didn't try with an upgrade because the firmware was working fine for weeks, so i don't think it could be the problem.

Can i do anything or i have to send it to repair?

2017-2-8
Use props
fans1202288d
lvl.2
Canada

fans03d5b9aa Posted at 2017-2-8 12:41
I'm having shaking issues with my mavic, and i think it's caused by the gimbal. The thing is the mavic was working fine for more than a month, and after a long travel by car when i tried a fly in a little windy situation, the mavic started to shake. The footage wasn't affected but i preferred don't try again under that condition.

I returned to home and the shaky situation persisted with no wind; indoors too. I tried gimbal, imu, compass and controller calibration and it didn't work. I didn't try with an upgrade because the firmware was working fine for weeks, so i don't think it could be the problem.

Hey, I feel like one of your props is misaligned - it looks like you should try different blades, or your rotors are very off.

Maybe send this to one of the mods, on the thread. They work for DJI and better guide you.
2017-2-9
Use props
fans14a333ab
lvl.1
Flight distance : 251283 ft
Spain

Just to fully understand...

The 0 or 90 roll of the camera, is it the landscape / portrait mode?

(in another words: I see the gimbal turns left to right when powering on; is there any chance to control the horizontal movement of the camera?)

Thanks! Regards
2017-2-21
Use props
JohnyBeGood
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1260 ft
Russia

Hi! If I didn't solve the problem: i have the same but more terrible problem. I saw one guy video - he says gimbal can be "frozen" and did test with and without dome. It was bad without and nice with, coz gimbal heating by mavic. I have tried and it works! P.s. sorry for english
2017-3-8
Use props
JohnyBeGood
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1260 ft
Russia

Here's the video:
2017-3-8
Use props
ChrisMuc
lvl.1

Germany

JohnyBeGood Posted at 2017-3-8 14:44
Here's the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=944k-DLZrvM

I have noticed exact the same problem with my brand new Mavic drone on my first flight ever (outdoor).
Back in the house, the camera worked as it should.

Here is a video of my first flight with the shaking camera...
2017-4-30
Use props
Tangaroa
lvl.1
Chile

Good evening everyone, I have a problem with the vibration of gimbal a while ago. After seeing multiple posts about this, I could not find the answer to my problem. Finally I found something that solved this, and was, only changing from ntsc to pal (apparently makes a sudden restart of the gimbal, so far It works smooth and I do not have the error of the gimbal again), then put ntsc and still working all right.

pd: sorry for my english, no native language
2017-8-14
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules