DJI Phantom 3 Standard Flight Range Only Reaches 100m
7589 27 2016-12-30
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
AMH
lvl.1

Australia

Hey i recently started to use my dji phantom 3 standard and only to find out it was not capable of reaching the full 1km range (because it losses signal) it advertises as i could only get it 100m range.how do i get the full 1km range?

2016-12-30
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Hello AMH, the Max Transmission Distance for FCC country is 1000 m, for CE country is 500 m. And it's under ideal situation.
Possibly you ran into interference in that area. Please try to fly in another open area to see if it's the same or not.
Also, make sure your antenna in correct orientation.
2016-12-30
Use props
SPARKFLASH
lvl.2
Flight distance : 63743 ft
  • >>>
United States

Or does this have the same limitation as the one I have?  On mine it said in beginner status it limited to 100m.  I had to turn that off to go farther.
2016-12-30
Use props
Phantom-Paul 7
lvl.3
Flight distance : 2551634 ft
Australia

Do you mean it loses radio signal at 100 meters or it won't let you fly further than 100 meters?  
2016-12-31
Use props
Hkdman
lvl.1

United States

sounds like you have the beginner mode toggled.  Turn it off.  With it on, you are limited by how far and how high you can go.
2016-12-31
Use props
LoganRisen
lvl.1
United States

Do you have beginner mode on? If so turn it off by going into Settings> Main controller settings> Beginner Mode and switch it off.
2016-12-31
Use props
AMH
lvl.1

Australia

Phantom-Paul 7 Posted at 2016-12-31 05:29
Do you mean it loses radio signal at 100 meters or it won't let you fly further than 100 meters?

Losses signal
2017-1-1
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

We can't help laughing. Seeing my old avatar from last month, used by a new forum member. Hahaha

I thought I had buried that Lame Duck, deep enough? ;-)

RedHotPoker

2017-1-1
Use props
fansea8ff0df
lvl.1
Flight distance : 14715 ft
United Kingdom

A year ago i purchased the standard. Range was okay. Didnt really get 500m but range was okay for my use. Couple weeks ago i updated firmware and noticed that range was less and it kept going into return to home mode due to signal loss.  Not sure if latest firmware is to blame?.
2017-1-1
Use props
Phantom-Paul 7
lvl.3
Australia

Ok so does it RTH or do you just loose the video/telemetry ?

Are you flying in a clear open area away from buildings (especially metal roofs etc... ) and electrical noise ?

Because the P3S uses normal WiFi it is very susceptible to outside signals and noise which can really knock its range down.

Flying in open areas over lakes and paddocks etc.  mine easily gets 500m before the video feed gets jerky ( I am in a CE country so have the shorter range settings :-(  )  but if I come fly in built up areas , especially where there are metal roofs the signal can drop out instantly at 200 m.
2017-1-1
Use props
Phantom-Paul 7
lvl.3
Australia

fansea8ff0df Posted at 2017-1-1 03:00
A year ago i purchased the standard. Range was okay. Didnt really get 500m but range was okay for my use. Couple weeks ago i updated firmware and noticed that range was less and it kept going into return to home mode due to signal loss.  Not sure if latest firmware is to blame?.

Did you do the FW update via the Go App or force it via the SD card?

What version FW does the App report now ?
2017-1-1
Use props
fansea8ff0df
lvl.1
Flight distance : 14715 ft
United Kingdom

Phantom-Paul 7 Posted at 2017-1-1 03:55
Did you do the FW update via the Go App or force it via the SD card?

What version FW does the App report now ?

It was done through the Go app. I cant remember what version it was updated too but did notice reduced range since update. I even tried the ARGTEK mod on transmitter which didn't really make any difference. I have now got the Advanced and dont plan to update unless i really need to.
2017-1-1
Use props
AMH
lvl.1

Australia

Phantom-Paul 7 Posted at 2017-1-1 03:53

Are you flying in a clear open area away from buildings (especially metal roofs etc... ) and electrical noise ?

I fly over lakes and it just looses video and says looses signal and I have to Bring it home manually without auto RTH.
2017-1-1
Use props
AMH
lvl.1

Australia

Phantom-Paul 7 Posted at 2017-1-1 03:53

I fly over lakes and it just looses video and says looses signal and I have to Bring it home manually without auto RTH.
2017-1-1
Use props
Phantom-Paul 7
lvl.3
Australia

AMH Posted at 2017-1-1 05:37

When it looses video does the telemetry still work IE eg the altitude , distance and speed?

I am trying to establish weather you are loosing the WiFi completely or just the video feed.
There appears to be a couple of different problems with just the video - one caused by the app and one caused be the camera.
If on the other hand your loosing the WiFi completely we need to look else where.
How old is the Phantom?  Can you return it under warranty  before we fiddle too much?

2017-1-1
Use props
AMH
lvl.1

Australia

Phantom-Paul 7 Posted at 2017-1-1 05:50
When it looses video does the telemetry still work IE eg the altitude , distance and speed?

I am trying to establish weather you are loosing the WiFi completely or just the video feed.

I Think I read somewhere that there is a screw u can twist on the back of the controller to extend the range
2017-1-6
Use props
BillW50
lvl.3

United States

AMH Posted at 2017-1-6 00:50
I Think I read somewhere that there is a screw u can twist on the back of the controller to extend the range

You are thinking of the Phantom 2 controller. The Phantom 3 controller doesn't have that adjustment.
2017-1-6
Use props
AMH
lvl.1

Australia

DJI Mindy Posted at 2016-12-30 20:23
Hello AMH, the Max Transmission Distance for FCC country is 1000 m, for CE country is 500 m. And it's under ideal situation.
Possibly you ran into interference in that area. Please try to fly in another open area to see if it's the same or not.
Also, make sure your antenna in correct orientation.

I'm in Australia and that's an FCC country
2017-1-7
Use props
Phantom-Paul 7
lvl.3
Australia

Nope Australia is a CE :-(
2017-1-7
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

AMH Posted at 2017-1-7 02:42
I'm in Australia and that's an FCC country

Just as Paul 7 mentioned, Australia is CE country.
2017-1-9
Use props
Rene Jensen
lvl.4
Denmark

what firmware is in the aircraft if its 1.6.8 thats the problem the newest is 1.7.9
2017-1-9
Use props
8ball
New

United States

Rene Jensen Posted at 2017-1-9 22:37
what firmware is in the aircraft if its 1.6.8 thats the problem the newest is 1.7.9

where do I go to find the firmware version?
2017-1-12
Use props
Rene Jensen
lvl.4
Denmark

in the go app under about thereis the firmware version an the app version
2017-1-15
Use props
8ball
New

United States

Rene Jensen Posted at 2017-1-15 01:21
in the go app under about thereis the firmware version an the app version

the only thing i found there is the app version 3.1.1.. but nothing about the firmware the drone is running. i did do the latest update though, but would still would be nice to know where to find it when needed. my p3 just does not seem to be performing very well over all. video, hight, distance, and power are all poor. nothing like when it was new, and it is not even a year old.!
2017-1-15
Use props
Kgfservices
New

United Kingdom

I'm in the uk and can get well over 500 metres in the valley where I live with clear sight
2017-1-27
Use props
Anonymous1
lvl.3
Flight distance : 602303 ft

Jamaica

Phantom-Paul 7 Posted at 2017-1-7 06:02
Nope Australia is a CE :-(

Is there somewhere I can go to see the list of FCC and CE countries?

I'm trying to determine my drone's status here in Jamaica.  I should be getting it in hand today.
2018-8-21
Use props
Mark The Droner
First Officer
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

My understanding is that FCC is USA and CE is everybody else.  

Good luck
2018-8-21
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Anonymous1 Posted at 2018-8-21 09:16
Is there somewhere I can go to see the list of FCC and CE countries?

I'm trying to determine my drone's status here in Jamaica.  I should be getting it in hand today.

Your drone will know... ;-)

Still LMAO, seeing the OP using my old avatar.  Lame Duck!! Hahaha

RedHotPoker
2018-8-21
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules