Gimbal Stick Calibration, Questions & I'm scared!
1000 14 2016-12-31
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
USVI Flyer
lvl.1
U.S. Virgin Islands

Morning Everyone. And Happy New Year.
First, not that it matters, but I'm a girl and live in the USVI yes, it's awesome here...
I just received my Mavic yesterday and I went through all the proper steps setting it up. I'm not totally new to flying, I have a Splash drone (I fly pretty good--safely) and I've flown airplanes-- so, I'm use to flying devices to a point. My Mavic seems to be acting okay so far during setup-- EXCEPT for Not being able to calibrate my sticks Ugh!I opened everything up yesterday, charged everything, then connected to the assitant on my iMac and everything updated to the latest firmware with no issues that are apparent. The only thing that doesnt work is the stick calibration (using DJI Go App) have chosen not to upggrade to 4.0 version because I'm reading about probelms. ???

So, when I try to calibrate-- I can Not do anything! It says push "Start" and the start button does nothing--it's frozen so I can't calibrate. I'm too afraid to fly without doing this.... So I'm just staring at it on my desk wondering if I've made a bad purchase.

I've been reading about the Mavic losing GPS signal and flying off, it switches to ATTI and you can't get control, batteries that all of a sudden Won't turn off!, jittery gimbals, bad cameras, Horrible customer support, many many crashes due to App or Drone failure, etc.

I'm too scared to fly this thing after spending so much money and waiting for three months to get one. Depressed Last thing I need is an accident.

Questions:
1-- Do you turn off your WiFi on your iPhone when flying? (thought I read so)
2--  Is the DJI Go App using Google Maps for your locaton? or its own GPS? If it's using Google Maps or your iPhone for location, then what happens if you have a weak iPhone signal? It's Very mountainous here, so my AT&T signal strength comes and goes from one dot to 3 or 4
3-- What the hell do you do, if it suddenly drops all GPS satellites and goes into ATTI-- yet doesn't respond like people are saying?
4-- And, what do I do-- don't fly until DJI fixes the Stick calibration problem?

Side note:
I also read the dumbest answer I've seen yet from a DJI support person-- "Mindy" told a peson who asked about the stick calibration not working "to just not worry about it basically"
A better answer would have "Our engineers are working to resolve this problem as quick as possible because this can make your Mavic fly incorrectly and most likely will result in a Crash!"

I'm scared of my Mavic!!! and all the problems everyone is having.

Thank you for any input and/or advice-- very appreciated

2016-12-31
Use props
xbenderCH
lvl.2
Flight distance : 20262 ft
  • >>>
Switzerland

Hi

I would at least try the stick calibration with the Go 4 app.

I'm using the Go 4 app without any problems, so there is nothing wrong with it in general.

Also, don't be scared to fly the Mavic, just take it easy and do your first flights in a open area.

2016-12-31
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

1/ you don't need to turn off wifi, 2/ yes it uses maps you can cache maps before you fly, 3/ it will respond in Atti much of what you are seeing an hearing are from inexperienced flyers, 4/ do a stick calibration if you feel the need to, 5/ there are many many more mavics working well than not, what you have here on this forum is people reporting the smallest of glitches and others reporting that Mavic is drifting on its own, most of these have been proven to be pilot error, a lot of other errors have been ironed out with firmwear and software upgrades. The Mavic is a great machine and handles flying extremely well, it's a safe aircraft, but you need to show it much respect, begin flying, 1/ have a pre flight checklist, 2/ if your a newbie use beginner mode a couple of times at least (it won't be long before you progress to big boy flying). 3/ open field park etc preferably when not many are around, 4/ test taking off gently manually and landing, flying short distances back and forward,  5/ if you follow a few simple rules on your first couple of flights you will gain confidence quickly. 6/ this is a hobby to have fun with and enjoy , forget about all the negative stuff you read here, and focus on the fact that you will be getting your Mavic in great shape, and with a little bit of pilot responsibility, you are going to love this drone..  good luck
2016-12-31
Use props
USVI Flyer
lvl.1
U.S. Virgin Islands

I will try the Go 4 App. I guess that is freaking me out too-- there really are no "Open areas" here. It is all mountains except for small patches of flat land here and there. The only real place for me to test it is on the Island golf course which is near where I live. Going to sneak down there this afternoon if I get some courage and the stick thing works in GO 4
You had any problems?
2016-12-31
Use props
USVI Flyer
lvl.1
U.S. Virgin Islands

Thank you hallmark007-- good to hear something positive. I feel confident in my flying, I'm just freaked out from all the negativity and problems people are talking about. I will try to ignore some of it.

Are you saying not to worry about the stick calibration since I can not seem to do it? Won't it spin and drift or something weird if the sticks are not calibrated??
which Go App are You running?
Thank you for responding
2016-12-31
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

USVI Flyer Posted at 2016-12-31 07:28
Thank you hallmark007-- good to hear something positive. I feel confident in my flying, I'm just freaked out from all the negativity and problems people are talking about. I will try to ignore some of it.

Are you saying not to worry about the stick calibration since I can not seem to do it? Won't it spin and drift or something weird if the sticks are not calibrated??

I'm using dji go 4 , I didn't do stick cal, checked it in the app and it was fine , I didn't do compass calibration as per instructions on p50 Manual, you will be prompted when it needs doing, usual preflight check full battery etc.

Took aircraft up to about 10 feet let it hover for about 2 minutes checked how stable it was no drifting up or down left or right, checked it was responsive to stick commands i.e. Forward back left right up down, landed manually. Then took it a little further around 600 feet because I wanted to check RTH , I would very seldom use RTH but needed to make sure it was working as it should it landed within 2 inches of where it took off.

I did do a gimbal calibration after first flight as it was a bit askew . I am now confident that my Mavic works as it should, I always upgrade firmwear and app as soon as there are new releases .

Haven't been able to fly much I live on Atlantic coast winds very strong now for the winter, I also have new P4Pro which I'm trying to find time to test out and fly..
I'm using an iPhone 7 with my Mavic.
2016-12-31
Use props
xbenderCH
lvl.2
Flight distance : 20262 ft
  • >>>
Switzerland

No I had no problems at all.

Stick calibration worked fine (in the beginning, I needed multiple tries to really capture the full calibration path, but I think this has been improved in the meantime).

I live in the mountains, too, so open space for me isn't as open as for others ;)

Back to the stick calibration:
Does the app show the correct positions of the sticks or is it showing some strange values?

If the values are correct, I would give it a try and start the mavic.

As hallmark has mentioned, ecery single issue gets posted here, but not every success flight is mentioned here... and there have been many flights w/o issues
2016-12-31
Use props
USVI Flyer
lvl.1
U.S. Virgin Islands

Used Go 4 App and same message "Return sticks to midpoints before clicking "Start" button." They are magentic-- already at midpoints ???? It just does Nothing

Tried to post a pic of the message but can't figure out how--go to advanced, upload pic jpeg and nothing happens...

'm glad it's raining today, so the pressure is off my mind to go try this Mavic out-- phew! Maybe New Years day will bring some magic courage my way tomorrow
2016-12-31
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

USVI Flyer Posted at 2016-12-31 08:57
Used Go 4 App and same message "Return sticks to midpoints before clicking "Start" button." They are magentic-- already at midpoints ???? It just does Nothing

Tried to post a pic of the message but can't figure out how--go to advanced, upload pic jpeg and nothing happens...

2016-12-31
Use props
USVI Flyer
lvl.1
U.S. Virgin Islands

I saw these... at least his sticks re moving. I'm stuck with the message and mine don't move at all?

IMG_2899.JPG
IMG_2899.JPG
2016-12-31
Use props
USVI Flyer
lvl.1
U.S. Virgin Islands

oops--sorry bout the pics-- my internet is crappy today
2016-12-31
Use props
Buzzyone
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4647913 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

USVI Flyer Posted at 2016-12-31 08:57

Out of the box you don't need to do anything, just charge the batteries, update the firmware, make sure it's in beginner mode and after recharging the battery before you launch, do a quick compass calibration and off you go.

If you have flown aircraft before, you will know the trick about making sure its facing the same way you are!

As far as the stick calibration goes, the aircraft must be switched off! Then bring up the calibration screen on the Go4 app, don't touch the sticks then press start, move the right stick slowly and chase the blue dot, go slow, if there are gaps then it won't work. Then do the left stick, then the left hand wheel.

That should be it! You really only need to calibrate if it asks, out of the box it will just work.
2016-12-31
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Buzzyone Posted at 2016-12-31 09:28
Out of the box you don't need to do anything, just charge the batteries, update the firmware, make sure it's in beginner mode and after recharging the battery before you launch, do a quick compass calibration and off you go.

If you have flown aircraft before, you will know the trick about making sure its facing the same way you are!

I fully agree.
2016-12-31
Use props
USVI Flyer
lvl.1
U.S. Virgin Islands

okay guys-- I trust you... I will just give it a go. Just bothers me it doesn't work.

And, yes my Mavic was off-- I only had the controller hooked up to my iPhone/ iPad

It has stopped raining--- sun is shinning, so I'm going to give it a try.
Thank you both for your input
Happy New Year!
2016-12-31
Use props
Buzzyone
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4647913 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

USVI Flyer Posted at 2016-12-31 09:49
okay guys-- I trust you... I will just give it a go. Just bothers me it doesn't work.

And, yes my Mavic was off-- I only had the controller hooked up to my iPhone/ iPad

Let us know how it goes/went!
If you think that they may be doing nothing, power up the Mavic and the remote, when its connected, without starting the motors, move the LH stick left and right, you should see the gimbal move very slightly left and right as it prempts the aircraft yawing.

You can also take the props off, start the motors (both stick to the bottom corners, then if you move the sticks you should hear the motors respomnd to the inputs from the sticks, if you need that bit of piece of mind :-)

Happy New Year
2016-12-31
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules