No Joystick Tension - RE-CTR STICK/STICK ERR - Help me!
1964 19 2016-12-31
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
sojournfp
New

United States

Hi - I've been storing my Mavic and its controller in the DJI-issued leather bag that comes with the Fly More Bundle.  When I put the controller in, the bag doesn't seem to accommodate the control sticks in a way that they can rest neutrally—that is, they're generally pushed in either an up or down position when stored.  This morning when I took the controller out, I noticed my left stick no longer has any "springiness" when I push it up.  When I powered the controller on I was given the "RE-CTR STICK"  and "STICK ERR" notifications.  I tried recalibrating the stick through the DJI GO 4 app, but it hasn't solved anything, I assume because the left stick still lacks tension in the upward position.  I can't even get the props to start.  I've got a shoot in a few days in which I'll need the drone, so I'm desperate for answers.  Anyone encountered this?  Any solutions?

Thanks.
2016-12-31
Use props
DRONE-flies-YOU
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1450594 ft
United States

Sounds broken.  Where are you located?  If you're nearby, you can use mine.  
2016-12-31
Use props
sojournfp
New

United States

DRONE-flies-YOU Posted at 2016-12-31 09:24
Sounds broken.  Where are you located?  If you're nearby, you can use mine.

I'm in Denver, CO, but my shoot is in Costa Rica.  Not sure if you'd be okay with that, but I really appreciate the offer!
2016-12-31
Use props
DRONE-flies-YOU
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1450594 ft
United States

sojournfp Posted at 2016-12-31 09:26
I'm in Denver, CO, but my shoot is in Costa Rica.  Not sure if you'd be okay with that, but I really appreciate the offer!

Bummer, I'm in Washington.  

I was afraid of that stick deflection in the bag, as well.  I still haven't put the R/C in ANY bag, just a large jacket pocket (with room in it).  

The way the sticks feel is so solid, too.  I'm shocked this has happened to you.  In hindsight, consider those stick protectors from Taco RC.  
2016-12-31
Use props
Gary Mac
lvl.4
Flight distance : 741683 ft
United States

PULL your sticks!  They come out and eliminate ALL movement while stored.  YES, they ALL come out!
2016-12-31
Use props
Doots
lvl.3
Flight distance : 682598 ft
United States

Gary Mac Posted at 2016-12-31 22:20
PULL your sticks!  They come out and eliminate ALL movement while stored.  YES, they ALL come out!

There must have been a reason DJI decided to glue them in though. Maybe after a while they get too loose from being pulled in and out a bunch of times?
2017-1-1
Use props
Gary Mac
lvl.4
United States

Neither of the Mavics I have are glued in.  One set was pressed in pretty good and the second set (on second Mavic) came righ out. They just need a little persuading. Came out by hand, no tools used. Sure makes packing easy! I've had mine in and out at least 50 times (I don't press them in fully, just about 2/3).

The removable sticks were touted as a feature when it was previewed and I have seen nothing from DJI saying they aren't supposed to come out. Just people on the forum complaining that they couldn't get them out easily.

Use your thumb and first finger and squeeze the base and allow the sides of your thumb and finger to press against the controller.  They come right out.
2017-1-1
Use props
Willik
lvl.4
Flight distance : 638796 ft
Czechia

Gary Mac Posted at 2017-1-1 20:18
Neither of the Mavics I have are glued in.  One set was pressed in pretty good and the second set (on second Mavic) came righ out. They just need a little persuading. Came out by hand, no tools used. Sure makes packing easy! I've had mine in and out at least 50 times (I don't press them in fully, just about 2/3).

The removable sticks were touted as a feature when it was previewed and I have seen nothing from DJI saying they aren't supposed to come out. Just people on the forum complaining that they couldn't get them out easily.

Hi all, interesting, maybe a short video or pic of removed sticks, or some guide how to remove them?
I tried to remove mine and the really can't go out (too afraid to pull more)

PS: I would also appreciate the vid of previously mentioned broken stick. Where it broke, what rested inside the RC... could you PLZ upload?
THX.
2017-1-2
Use props
Gary Mac
lvl.4
United States

Willik Posted at 2017-1-2 07:56
Hi all, interesting, maybe a short video or pic of removed sticks, or some guide how to remove them?
I tried to remove mine and the really can't go out (too afraid to pull more)

Done... thanks for the suggestion!

RC Control Stick Removal Demo Video
2017-1-3
Use props
z4k4tt4ck
lvl.3
Flight distance : 535 ft
Australia

I don't know why people just don't put the controller on a 45 degree angle in the bag. Works perfectly and does not put any force on the sticks.
2017-1-3
Use props
StianGel
Second Officer
Flight distance : 686654 ft
Norway

z4k4tt4ck Posted at 2017-1-3 11:50
I don't know why people just don't put the controller on a 45 degree angle in the bag. Works perfectly and does not put any force on the sticks.

I do this as well. I put a battery in first, so that the edge of the controller rests against it. This way the controller cant rotate in the bag putting tension on the stick's
Mavic-bag.jpg
2017-1-3
Use props
Willik
lvl.4
Czechia

Gary Mac Posted at 2017-1-3 11:42
Done... thanks for the suggestion!

RC Control Stick Removal Demo Video

Thanx indeed Gary Mac (upvoted and positively reported! :-)
cheers.
2017-1-3
Use props
Willik
lvl.4
Czechia

z4k4tt4ck Posted at 2017-1-3 11:50

I am doing this also, since having no other option, untill I have seen this video from Gary Mac.
But inside tha bag (fly more combo) there is not so much space and even if you put the charger into the front pocket and two additional batts into the side pockets it will reduce the inner space even a bit more. So the sticks are not always in the stright possition and also when putting in/ removing out the sticks move to their edges... so from my oppinion could make some wear damage after while.

Concerning the picture: It's trange, I really don't have so much space there - do you have some bigger bag?? (seems like mine fly more combo but a bit bigger??)
2017-1-3
Use props
Yraegel
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1411811 ft
United States

Lay the battery flat on the bottom.
IMG_1362.JPG
2017-1-3
Use props
Yraegel
Second Officer
United States

Better photo.
image.jpg
2017-1-3
Use props
StianGel
Second Officer
Flight distance : 686654 ft
Norway

One thing i did was to stuff the bag with t-shirts to expand it. Seemed to help.
2017-1-3
Use props
Willik
lvl.4
Czechia

My looks different indeed

Joysticks touching

Joysticks touching

sidepockets with battery

sidepockets with battery
2017-1-4
Use props
Willik
lvl.4
Czechia

The bag is really tight, and since my sticks probably are not removable I will have to live with it (DJI Ken mentioned HERE that removable were just few first batches of RC, than the design was changed). I will try to keep the RC in 45° position, but the side pockets (when the batteries are in) even push more the bag from sides and squeeze the Mavic together the RC inside.
Another option might be to put both batteries to the bottom of the bag, since it seems there is enough of space under the RC. It is only a bit more difficult to remove them from this place.
2017-1-4
Use props
Yraegel
Second Officer
United States

From the online FAQ:
How many batteries can I carry in the Mavic’s Shoulder Bag?

Four. One mounted on the Mavic, one at the bottom of the bag, and one in each of the two side pockets.
2017-1-4
Use props
Yraegel
Second Officer
United States

I think yours looks identical. It is a snug fit but you don't want things rattling around either.
2017-1-4
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules