2310 3 2017-1-1
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
poppylfh-sp
lvl.3
Flight distance : 3902884 ft
  • >>>
United States

Anyone have suggestions on best camera settings and filters to use for sunset pictures. I'm curently just using auto settings (sometime do use AEB) and no filter and getting good pictures but guessing there are probably ways to get even better pictures without having to do any or very little post work.
2017-1-1
Use props
Odan
lvl.4
Flight distance : 182913 ft
United States

I own a Cannon 20D and whats on my drone.  I do have an Ebay store where I sell ancient beads and other antique beaads and have to do a lot of close up shooting. with ether camra I usually adjust thing for that setting.  Every sight setting you dhoot in will be different.  Go auto and see what the drone is at, Then experiment around those settings. OR.....use the multi shot setting in the camra settings. You can choose 3,5,7,dhaot at a time with different exposure setttings and then decide for yoursel.   I'm just a snap shot kinda dude and don't publish anything. Things might change since My super duper loving wife got me this thing.
2017-1-1
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

Have you taken a look at some of the sunset submissions on the Forum? OPs tend to provide some camera settings.
2017-1-1
Use props
fans74db8d7a
lvl.3
Flight distance : 3571634 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Personally I'd recommend using AEB (5 exposures) on automatic exposure always for sunsets. This will give you tons of dynamic range when your exposure merging the images together. The software you choose to merge them together with will also make quite a difference.

I prefer Corel Paintshop. It has a HDR exposure merge function that comes loaded with lots of options for adjusting your image in a 32bit format before flattening the images.

With regards to an ND filter, I have an ND8 but for me I only find it necessary when there's little to no cloud coverage at all during sunset as the sun is far more direct. If you have a good mix of cloud coverage, you may not need a filter.

Best what to check if you do need a filter is to simply fly the drone for a moment and use the exposure wheel to set the exposure to -3. If your view of the is not blown out in any part that bothers you, then your good to go. If you find parts you want are blown out, then the shutter speed is not fast enough so you will need to put on an ND filter.

For Sunsets a ND4 or an ND8 would be two well worth having.

Beyond that, experiment with settings. Sometimes I personally find that even with auto exposure set, I have to dial it to -1 for most images to get that perfect balance I'm after.
2017-1-1
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules