Prop guards...
2702 34 2015-2-14
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Moto70
lvl.2

United Kingdom

I am ordering my P2/V+ this week and I was going to order some prop guards at the same time but upon reading this...

"Use of prop guards, as these are almost universally accepted to enhance a wobbling state when hovering or descending called Vortex Ring State."

...I am not sure what to do?

I do not plan on flying too close to anything but I presumed anything that offered additional protection would be a good thing?

2015-2-14
Use props
nilsblix.gmail
Second Officer
Flight distance : 23047543 ft
  • >>>
Spain

Hello

I am far from an expert but in the start prop guards saved my Phantom
Just have a look at this :

http://forum.dji.com/forum.php?m ... age%3D1&lang=en
2015-2-14
Use props
PhantomHelp
lvl.3

United States

A lot of people are using prop guards with no trouble. So, I wouldn't pay much attention to that statement.

You do need to pay attention to your Phantom when descending though -- props guards or not. If you come straight down too quickly, you could get into VRS and crash. Descending at about 2 ft/sec works well for me. Whichever speed you choose, just make sure you watch for any wobble or a change in the sound of the props -- both indicators of VRS.
2015-2-14
Use props
Jamie
lvl.4

United States

I have been flying RC for years, and started without prop guards.  I now use them.

I have tried to prove them to create stability problems in flight or descending, and cannot.  DJI recommends them for new pilots.

They Phantom shows up better in the sky, particularly with the red fronts (I used a red Sharpie), and I bought a carry/backpack case that allows me to leave them on at all times.  The guards offer protection to the craft in numerous ways, and as well may offer protection to others who may be hit by it.

There is no reason for me to take them off.  I like them.
2015-2-14
Use props
PhantomHelp
lvl.3

United States

Some props guards come in red & white too:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product ... Id=6NTN4XSNWGF4235P
2015-2-14
Use props
talk2t_c
lvl.4

France

If you move from side to side or forward to back or even circle round as you come down, you avoid propwash (VRS).
2015-2-14
Use props
talk2t_c
lvl.4

France

DSC_3460a.jpg

Gives it a safe look as well as giving an instant show of direction.
2015-2-14
Use props
Moto70
lvl.2

United Kingdom

talk2t_c Posted at 2015-2-14 23:48
If you move from side to side or forward to back or even circle round as you come down, you avoid pr ...

Thanks for the advice, no doubt I will be bothering all of you during the coming weeks!!!
2015-2-14
Use props
Gerry1124
Second Officer

United States

Moto70 Posted at 2015-2-15 00:07
Thanks for the advice, no doubt I will be bothering all of you during the coming weeks!!!

They would save you from changing a broken prop or a burned out ESC card in a tip over on landing or takeoff.
2015-2-14
Use props
Capt. Bill
lvl.4

United States

PhantomHelp Posted at 2015-2-14 23:44
Some props guards come in red & white too:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00RFX2L6G/ref=as_li_qf_ ...

I have a set of those and they saved me on my first flight yesterday. Very easy to install and remove. I used a snap off a fishing swivel to connect the string.
2015-2-14
Use props
jmtw000
lvl.3

United States

I've had prop guards on my first V+ since I got it months ago and haven't had an issue with VRS. They saved quite a few propellers when I was first learning to fly. When I rebuilt my other V+ I decided to forgo them since I'm a better pilot now and generally catch that Phantom instead of trying to land it and risk it tipping over on uneven ground.
2015-2-14
Use props
gnixon2015
lvl.4

United States

i just changed from fixed to removable and love the option.  when flying around trees or buildings i can snap them on, when in open fields or high wind, i can snap them off.  i agree wiht other comments and many of you know my thoughts on prop guards, so being a strong advocate, ill say the time i dont like them is in >15mph wind as they can act like wings particularly when you get above the tree line.  even without them on that is still strong wind to deal with, but that is just the point that ill say i notice them.  all other times i do not.
2015-2-14
Use props
Moto70
lvl.2

United Kingdom

...generally catch that Phantom instead of trying to land it and risk it tipping over on uneven ground.

I've thought that this is something that I would do, nice to know it is actually already being done!
2015-2-14
Use props
Capt. Bill
lvl.4

United States

When I made my first flight yesterday I used my snap on prop guards and did not notice any bad effects. I was able to descend straight down and even hover perfectly still less than a foot off the ground.
2015-2-14
Use props
nilsblix.gmail
Second Officer
Flight distance : 23047543 ft
  • >>>
Spain

Moto70 Posted at 2015-2-15 03:17
I've thought that this is something that I would do, nice to know it is actually already being done ...

I 90 % hand catch - I started with that on my second or third flight and somehow ended up by doing it nearly evreytime I fly
2015-2-14
Use props
trailtec.dodo
lvl.2

Australia

I've been hand catching around half the time to avoid landing in dust on my drive or in long grass. I use the method described above, hover at around 5 feet and reach up to grab a skid while bottoming the throttle with the other hand. I wouldn't be doing so on a windy day or without the prop guards tho as I have a lot of respect for those four finger removers. I also walk up to the bird, I don't try bringing it to me.
2015-2-15
Use props
talk2t_c
lvl.4

France

trailtec.dodo Posted at 2015-2-15 19:19
I've been hand catching around half the time to avoid landing in dust on my drive or in long grass.  ...

Same  here - haven't had any problems doing it.  I think it also makes the quad look less scary if Joe public sees you doing this.
2015-2-15
Use props
Northofthe49th
Second Officer

Canada

talk2t_c Posted at 2015-2-14 23:52
Gives it a safe look as well as giving an instant show of direction.

Love how bright those are..
Off to get a couple cans of spray paint!
2015-2-15
Use props
Gerry1124
Second Officer

United States

I had the prop guards on when I recorded the car show last August.  The camera man taking pics of the cars on the ground got a couple of me flying overhead.  I stayed 20 to 40 feet above until I wanted the overall shot from 400 feet.
10547743_752724954775555_7247232525686657912_o.jpg
10629252_752724974775553_6045222001413616973_o.jpg
Midway Drive In car show fund raising event at Minetto NY. Sunday 8-24-14.jpg
2015-2-15
Use props
Moto70
lvl.2

United Kingdom

I'm hoping to have a good summer here in Blighty, good weather for flying drones isn't part of the UK's charm!
2015-2-15
Use props
cayers13.email
lvl.3

United States

I just ordered a camera guard and a gimbal protector, I'm still torn whether or not to try prop guards. Is this adding too much additional weight and going to make it unstable? Where I live in Florida it's usually pretty breezy, I know a few people have stated flying in breezy conditions with prop guards makes it more unstable and likely to crash.
2015-2-15
Use props
gnixon2015
lvl.4

United States

while i havent had experience with extra weight (i only fly a non-plus so pretty light) but i would think that added weight would emphasize any propguard stability issues particularly in higher winds.  like i said in other posts, i think it is a combination of multiple factors (wind, weight, flight profile chosen by user, etc) and sometimes the two can each not be huge but together they can certainly be noticeable.  now that i fly more, i would say if flying in open park or field areas, i prob would leave mine off 90% of the time.  in proximity to trees, houses and urban areas, im most certainly going to use them.   that is why i now love the snap off kind, defn paying off for me.
2015-2-15
Use props
birdfolk5555
lvl.3

United States

I recommend them. Order at least 12 extra props, too. You'll be needing them soon enough, even WITH guards.
20150107_133105.jpg
2015-2-15
Use props
gnixon2015
lvl.4

United States

man they always look so cool painted you guys
2015-2-15
Use props
gnixon2015
lvl.4

United States

and you guys see all those branches around bird's photo?  THAT is a place it will save you,... strong gust of wind and even in gps mode or if you end up inadvertently in atti mode due to sat lock loss, prop guards will come in very handy around trees like that.  sort of what i was getting at above.
2015-2-15
Use props
cayers13.email
lvl.3

United States

gnixon2015 Posted at 2015-2-16 04:11
and you guys see all those branches around bird's photo?  THAT is a place it will save you,... stron ...

yeah I'm going to take your advice and order some of those snap-ons
2015-2-15
Use props
rod
Second Officer

New Zealand

Hi,
An accident is an unplanned event. None of us want to fly into houses, fences trees or posts--- but accidents happen!  I have always flown with prop guards and they will save you from most of the above.  

Do not worry about the much hyped VRS and prop wash comments.  This is not  a stunt copter and properly flown you will have little trouble with these issues if you ALWAYS descend in two axes. Never come straight down vertically- always apply some lateral movement as well to keep you out of the prop wash and always flying into clean air.

Best of luck and enjoy!
Rod
2015-2-15
Use props
Axeman This user has been deleted
Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2015-2-15
Use props
rod
Second Officer

New Zealand

Axeman Posted at 2015-2-16 07:31
I was unsure about the string that came with the prop guards so I left it off. Not sure what purpose ...

I would say no. Just a personal opinion, but it only protects a small area between the guards and if it comes undone, or goes slack, will wrap around your props, turning your phantom into a metor, and you don't want that!   

Cheers!
Rod
2015-2-15
Use props
2015-2-15
Use props
gnixon2015
lvl.4

United States

axeman, the string is to stop something like a vertical stick or object like a pole from going in between the guards adn contacting the props from the inside angle.  i think they are pretty useless and they can cause issues with props if they get loose.  for me, ive stuck with the guards only, and they have saved me on a house strike and a tree strike, both with not only no damage but flight was only momentarily interrupted and i didnt even lose altitude etc.  i take mine off in fields and high wind, but other than that i use them sans string.
2015-2-15
Use props
2015-2-15
Use props
grangerfx.gmail
lvl.4
Flight distance : 817713 ft
United States

You know that any extra stuff you put above or beneath the props causes drag right? Even if the stability is not an issue, I just don't want any extra work for the motors to do. I added a new thread with an alternate suggestion if all you care about is tip overs on landing.
http://forum.dji.com/forum.php?m ... age%3D1&lang=en
2015-2-15
Use props
gnixon2015
lvl.4

United States

i dont care about landing tipovers because i dont use csc.  as i said above, both of my saves were versus obstacles midflight.  both would have resulted in hundreds of dollars of damage to my phantom wihtout and resulted in no flight disruption with.  so if a little bit of drag is the price i pay for that, ill pay it gladly.  and i certainly dont notice any drag btw.  since drag is the number 1 battery drainer, if the motors were 'doing so much more work' (like they do when you add other weight), i would think i wouldnt still get 20mins of flight time just like i got before putting them on, so not sure just how much drag is enough.
2015-2-15
Use props
Larry L
lvl.3

United States

Never used them. Not saying there won't come a time that I wished I had them on.  I just try to stay away from trees or other obstacles.
2015-2-16
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules