4k editing
2925 18 2017-1-2
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
GZP
lvl.2

Latvia

What device do you use for 4k video editing? Please share also technical parameters. And which software.
2017-1-2
Use props
too fly
lvl.1

United States

I tried Media Composer, but the conversion times were killing me.  I now use DaVinci Resolve.  Keep it native until the output phase, then down convert to your favorite codec.
2017-1-2
Use props
Danny-B-
lvl.4
Flight distance : 306640 ft
United Kingdom

Adobe Premiere pro CC 2017

Use proxy editing and you'll find it easier
2017-1-2
Use props
GZP
lvl.2

Latvia

Please tell also is it: stationary computer/ laptop/ tablet...  No name/producer&device name  ..... How do you like it (for 4k editing). TNX!
2017-1-2
Use props
Alberto V.
lvl.4
Flight distance : 137116 ft
  • >>>
Italy

GZP Posted at 2017-1-2 12:55
Please tell also is it: stationary computer/ laptop/ tablet...  No name/producer&device name  ..... How do you like it (for 4k editing). TNX!

iMac late 2013: 3,5Ghz 4 core CPU 16 giga RAM + FCPX. Editing 4k movies without any problem.
2017-1-2
Use props
Wildersachse 4
lvl.2
Germany

I use my iPad Pro 9.7 with the app Pinnacle Studio Pro, it is awesome, how quick the rendering is, nearly 1:1 !!!
4K editing is only available on iPad Pro, that is what you have to pay attention, but the results are great.
And you can do it on the fly, in a cafe, on the couch without having a 10 kg PC.
The Mavic is small, then in my opinion the editing tool also has to be small!

If you want see some 4 K footage only edited with my iOS device, please check my YouTube Channel:

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCi5IWTbBmMQOgkkE0QZWJKg

http://youtu.be/PDolrdcH7OQ

http://youtu.be/GRkq9yTdBT4

http://youtu.be/0b03SMJeI0U

http://youtu.be/Mj4DiESI7iY
2017-1-2
Use props
CW Hobbies
lvl.3

United States

I use iMovie, it's free, and works good.
When i do edit my video's, which isn't much, lol. Most of the time i just upload the raw video's to youtube.
I have a 5K iMac.
2017-1-2
Use props
thehippoz
Second Officer
Flight distance : 23 ft
United States

Kind of overdid it this year. i7 6700k @ 4.5 ddr4 3000 on Asus Z-E mb. But that let's me export 12 minutes of 4k video @ 60mb/sec h.264, 2 pass in around a half hour. My old rig would have taken 3 hours.

I was tempted to go with the 6800k for the two extra cores, but glad I didn't. Use Premiere and After Effects. I've forgotten a lot about how to actually do things in After Effects, been awhile, but I might take time to learn it again. There was a lot of things you could do, like place fog on the ground and tracking.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/urwjdv ... 2_095343_2.jpg?dl=0
2017-1-2
Use props
Pierre35
lvl.3
Flight distance : 117881 ft
Malaysia

Need to mention a good video card with powerful GPU will help a lot. If using Davinci Resolve 12.5, it's recommended to have a 8Gb RAM GPU for 4K editing. I normally would recommend using Nvidia video card as most software will support CUDA. AMD will work if the software support OpenCL
2017-1-2
Use props
GZP
lvl.2

Latvia

Thanks to those who have already answered! Would be pleased to hear the experiences of others too
2017-1-4
Use props
GeForceFX-be
lvl.2

Belgium

desktop pc with I7 6700k @ 4.6GHz, 32Gb DDR4 ram, GTX 980ti, 512Gb NVMe SSD and 1Tb data SSD, on a 34" ultrawide display.
For software I'm currently using Vegas Pro 14, but that doesn't seem to use the graphics card, only cpu. So I might change to something else.
2017-1-4
Use props
FrequentFlyer
lvl.4
United States

I just ordered a MacBook Pro and will be using Final Cut Pro X
Im waiting to see if Mac releases a new iMac in March, If so Ill get that for editing at home and use the MacBook pro for else-where.

https://www.adorama.com/acmnqf2lla6z.html
2017-1-4
Use props
WolfgangStiller
Second Officer
Flight distance : 599416 ft
United States

When I stepped up to 4K (from 1080) video editing, my I7 PC (Win 10) with Davinci Rersolve 12.5 couldn't handle it any more. I think it's because of my three year old video card so I tried PowerDirector and it worked great for me. Very fast editing and rendering.
2017-1-4
Use props
lachyb
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Thanks for all the tips and advice. Some people have a much bigger budget than me so I will start with something like Corel and depending on how much I enjoy editing might upgrade. Cheers
2017-1-25
Use props
threevo
lvl.1

United States

Windows 10, GTX 1070, PowerDirector 15, i7 Proc
2017-1-25
Use props
BentonJoyce
lvl.4
Flight distance : 234318 ft
United States

Minimum requirements for editing 4k typically come down to having a good processor you can get away with i5 depending on your optimization of your device but I would HIGHLY recommend having quad core i7 because it will make the experience much better. RAM shoot for 16 gigs anything higher is just that much better. Graphics card you can do it on a GTX 970 but if it's within your budget go with a GTX 1070 or 1080 because it will make editing a breeze! Those are just some basic specs if your going to build a computer for editing obviously there are many great options for 4k editing just do a lot of research on what is within you budget and what editing atmosphere you like. You likely wont be editing any professional grade 4k from a tablet however, certain laptops can get the job done but I will always recommend a solid desk top. You will get more bang for your buck. If you're on a mac go Final Cut Pro if your on a PC go Premiere pro. What ever software you choose doesn't really matter it comes down to price and preference. The big thing is processing power. A good GPU, CPU, and enough RAM will get you there no problem.   
2017-1-25
Use props
DennisMurry08
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5948264 ft
  • >>>
United States

GeForceFX-be Posted at 2017-1-4 09:43
desktop pc with I7 6700k @ 4.6GHz, 32Gb DDR4 ram, GTX 980ti, 512Gb NVMe SSD and 1Tb data SSD, on a 34" ultrawide display.
For software I'm currently using Vegas Pro 14, but that doesn't seem to use the graphics card, only cpu. So I might change to something else.

You have the option in Vegas to use CUDA if available....I don't have it in front of me but when you go to "make movie" click "advanced options"... I think it's the second tab and you should see the option. Just make sure you check the destination folder and what you named it because for some reason it defaults to your last project...hope this helps.
2017-1-25
Use props
christing
lvl.2

Hong Kong

Davinci Resolve is one of the choice. Why not check this article about how to import DJI Mavic Pro 4K to Davinci Resolve to get some hints.
2018-7-6
Use props
M2Wair
First Officer
Flight distance : 1192231 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

iMac 27" 4k, final cut proX
2018-7-6
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now