Blue color cast in outer perimeter of still photos
1569 10 2017-1-2
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
brianmatiash
lvl.1
United States

[size=14.6667px]Hey there, everyone. I'm new to this forum and a new Mavic Pro owner, as well! I have a question that I'm hoping you can help with.

[size=14.6667px]Yesterday, I took my Mavic Pro on a snowshoeing hike near Mt. Saint Helens and flew it for about 45 min. It flew beautifully although I did get a cold temperature warning. Still, that did not seem to affect flight or capture. However, as I began working on some of the stills, I quickly noticed that every photo has a distinct blue cast vignette with the center of the frame being fine (or what it should look like to me).

[size=14.6667px]Has anyone experienced this? Could it be a symptom of shooting in cold weather (it was around 28-30 degrees Fahrenheit)? I'm embedding three sample photos. All I did in post was correct for tone. No color/white balance adjustments were made and all three jpegs were exported from native DNGs.

[size=14.6667px]Here's a quick export from one of the videos I recorded. From what I can tell, it also has a blue cast. I am not sure if it's the way the light is bouncing off of the snow (it was totally overcast) or, again, because of the cold weather... or it's a defect.

[size=14.6667px]Thanks again for any help you can provide! I really appreciate it!

[size=14.6667px]Best,

[size=14.6667px]Brian
2017-1-2
Use props
Jason Lane
lvl.4
Flight distance : 260144 ft
Philippines

Are those stills in raw format? It's been noted that the raw images have a warm spot in the center, while the jpgs correct for it. The effect looks much less pronounced in your video clip.
2017-1-3
Use props
Andy LIS
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3358875 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I had that on mine, the exact same issue.  a warm spot in the centre of all images.  Some shots showed it worse than others (snow being the worst).

I ended up sending mine in for repair, and the gimbal and camera are being replaced.  (the gimbal because it was drifting very slowly, and spoiling videos and long exposure shots).

Fingers crossed it sorts the issue.

Andy
2017-1-3
Use props
brianmatiash
lvl.1
United States

Jason Lane Posted at 2017-1-3 03:14
Are those stills in raw format? It's been noted that the raw images have a warm spot in the center, while the jpgs correct for it. The effect looks much less pronounced in your video clip.

Hey Jason,

Yeah - all of those images were jpegs that I exported from the DNG files taken by the Mavic Pro. I'm going to take it up in some more moderate temps to see if that has something to do with it. Thanks for your reply.
2017-1-3
Use props
brianmatiash
lvl.1
United States

Andy LIS Posted at 2017-1-3 04:27
I had that on mine, the exact same issue.  a warm spot in the centre of all images.  Some shots showed it worse than others (snow being the worst).

I ended up sending mine in for repair, and the gimbal and camera are being replaced.  (the gimbal because it was drifting very slowly, and spoiling videos and long exposure shots).

It makes me feel a bit better that I'm not the only one who has seen this issue. When did you send in the device for repair and did DJI quote you an ETA?

Thanks so much for confirming that I'm not going crazy... or at least not going crazy because of this issue.
2017-1-3
Use props
fans5b6f140d
lvl.1
Flight distance : 339724 ft
United States

I have the same issue.  There is a bright yellow spot in my footage.  Especially apparent in high key (white and snowy) situations.
Hot Spot.jpeg
2017-1-3
Use props
Andy LIS
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3358875 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

brianmatiash Posted at 2017-1-3 14:01
It makes me feel a bit better that I'm not the only one who has seen this issue. When did you send in the device for repair and did DJI quote you an ETA?

Thanks so much for confirming that I'm not going crazy... or at least not going crazy because of this issue.

Sent in on Christmas Eve, and I had the notification that it was being repaired yesterday.  Apparently it should be done in a couple of days, and then sent back to me.
2017-1-4
Use props
hariedo
lvl.2
Flight distance : 10650 ft
Japan

It will be interesting to see if this repair trip suggested by the support staff will change anything... from what I have seen, pretty much EVERYONE's Mavic has the warm center DNG issue.  It doesn't seem to be a variation across different units, it's not a variation with cold weather since people have shown the same issue in warmer scenes, and it seems like the engineers know about it because the JPG and movie conversion actually counteract the warm spot exactly.
2017-1-4
Use props
fans5b6f140d
lvl.1
Flight distance : 339724 ft
United States

It's unfortunate that this issue exists, because I bought this device primarily for the camera.
2017-1-4
Use props
brianmatiash
lvl.1
United States

Andy LIS Posted at 2017-1-4 03:04
Sent in on Christmas Eve, and I had the notification that it was being repaired yesterday.  Apparently it should be done in a couple of days, and then sent back to me.

I worked with DJI Support the other day and just received my UPS label to ship my drone back to them. To be honest, this optical byproduct shouldn't fall under any reasonable tolerance thresholds. I'm putting it with the courier tomorrow and will respond again once I get a repaired unit returned.

I'm looking forward to what your findings are, too! Please let us know once you have a chance to test it out.
2017-1-5
Use props
brianmatiash
lvl.1
United States

hariedo Posted at 2017-1-4 03:54
It will be interesting to see if this repair trip suggested by the support staff will change anything... from what I have seen, pretty much EVERYONE's Mavic has the warm center DNG issue.  It doesn't seem to be a variation across different units, it's not a variation with cold weather since people have shown the same issue in warmer scenes, and it seems like the engineers know about it because the JPG and movie conversion actually counteract the warm spot exactly.

That's troubling and disappointing to hear. The svelte form factor is what I love most about the Mavic Pro but if this is the expected quality of photos/videos, then I'll move to a P4P.

B
2017-1-5
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules