Lost my P3S in the river
1487 18 2017-1-2
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Ribfeast
lvl.2
Australia

Hi guys, I launched my drone off a balcony at a friend's apartment and flew it over the river to get some videos of a massive coal tanker sailing by, however the DJI Go app lost connection about 200m away.  I still had control of the drone, but I couldn't see it well enough to know what way it was pointing, and I couldn't bring it back home.  I tried hitting the RTH button in the app, but it didn't work as the app wasn't talking to the hand controller.  No visuals for the same reason.  Tried turning the hand-remote off but it never flew back, so I turned it back on.   After flying it around for about 15-20 minutes trying to get it home it eventually ran low on battery and landed itself somewhere in the river or in a park around 500m away (where it would have been nicked by NYE revellers) Since the app wasn't talking to the drone or controller I have minimal logs to work with, and I couldn't locate the drone.  Would there be any recourse with DJI?
2017-1-2
Use props
WigglyWally
lvl.1
United States

This is completely your fault, and I'm sorry to say but it shows that you did not the first thing that everybody says to do, which is to read the manual and learn the controls. If you had done this, then when you had lost wi-fi connection you would have known to switch the S2 switch back and forth at least twice to activate Smart RTH. I am very sorry that you have had this happen to you and I sincerely hope that you take this as a learning experience and eventually get another drone, as you would hopefully be more careful by then and will have a second opportunity to enjoy the wonderful piece of technology that DJI has crafted for us.
2017-1-2
Use props
CCrew
lvl.3
Flight distance : 41568 ft
United States

WigglyWally is 100% correct. You don't have any recourse with DJI, this is 100% operator error, sorry.
2017-1-2
Use props
WigglyWally
lvl.1
United States

I would actually like to apologize for being so harsh, I just wanted to ingrain in detail the mistake you made, I can't imagine how you feel from losing a $500 investment and I'm genuinely sorry for you.
2017-1-2
Use props
Ribfeast
lvl.2
Australia

It was $1200 AU I've have it for over a year and had a lot of fun with it, but had the disconnect issue with the DJI Go app recently.  It seems to lose connection to the drone (but the hand controller works OK), and even when flying the drone back within 5 metres of the controller it still never re-establishes connection back to the app, so no visuals etc.  I downgraded to an older version of DJI Go and the issue went away, but the iPhone auto-updated all my apps recently, bringing the problem back with it.  
I think the other potential reason was since I launched in Atti mode (due to roof above balcony blocking satellites) it may not have set a home point properly?  It got GPS shortly after launch after clearing the shading of the balcony.  I live on a farm so I don't have issues with wifi interference or satellite issues normally.
In hindsight -
Set a home point if one doesn't automatically appear
Avoid areas with tons of wifi networks
Don't use the latest version of the app when you know it has issues
Avoid launching in Atti mode

I'll have to remember that S2 switch trick!  Will hunt around for a 2ndhand P3P or P3A I reckon.
2017-1-2
Use props
Phantomski
lvl.4
Flight distance : 14869882 ft
United States

That sucs, but shows that this is not a toy, and like any aircraft needs to be studied and understood before operating.. including emergency procedures... if people did that, there would be so many less accidents! Hope someone learns from this, and this loss will help a few not to make same mistake.... and yes, it does suck to be on the loosing side of that mistake.. but at least you've contributed to possibly saving someone else... small consolation, but....
2017-1-2
Use props
Ribfeast
lvl.2
Australia

I think having a keytag or something with emergency procedures attached to the controller would help for this situation too   Without a home point though I'm not sure what could have been done.  At that range it was impossible to see if it was flying away from me or towards me.  2016 keeps on taking
2017-1-2
Use props
Kirk2579
lvl.4
Flight distance : 37415 ft
United States

Ribfeast Posted at 2017-1-2 21:18
It was $1200 AU  I've have it for over a year and had a lot of fun with it, but had the disconnect issue with the DJI Go app recently.  It seems to lose connection to the drone (but the hand controller works OK), and even when flying the drone back within 5 metres of the controller it still never re-establishes connection back to the app, so no visuals etc.  I downgraded to an older version of DJI Go and the issue went away, but the iPhone auto-updated all my apps recently, bringing the problem back with it.  
I think the other potential reason was since I launched in Atti mode (due to roof above balcony blocking satellites) it may not have set a home point properly?  It got GPS shortly after launch after clearing the shading of the balcony.  I live on a farm so I don't have issues with wifi interference or satellite issues normally.
In hindsight -

sorry to see the phantom gone.

but have to commend you on your positive attitude about the whole thing.

good luck and have fun flying
2017-1-2
Use props
Ribfeast
lvl.2
Australia

Cheers   It's why I bought the cheapest model, surprised it lasted this long.  Probably shouldn't have bent to peer pressure from the balcony crowd (or even brought it with me) but was hoping to get some cool fireworks video.  Got some video of Davy Jones' locker instead hahaha
Imagine if someone finds it and reviews the footage on the SD card!
If I drowned it a week after buying it I'd probably react a lot differently!
2017-1-2
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Ribfeast Posted at 2017-1-2 21:36
Cheers   It's why I bought the cheapest model, surprised it lasted this long.  Probably shouldn't have bent to peer pressure from the balcony crowd (or even brought it with me) but was hoping to get some cool fireworks video.  Got some video of Davy Jones' locker instead hahaha
Imagine if someone finds it and reviews the footage on the SD card!
If I drowned it a week after buying it I'd probably react a lot differently!

What's been said here sounds like it probably covers the incident but if you want to check the actual flight data it might show something else or give more detail to learn from.

Go to http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/
Follow the instructions to upload your flight record.

Come back and post a link to the report it provides and someone here might be able to analyse it and give you an understanding of the cause of the incident.

I'd have to guess you are in Newcastle?
I've shot some classic pix of the bulk carriers and tugs there (tankers are for liquid cargoes)

And you'd really love the Advanced or Pro for the huge improvement in control they would give you.
2017-1-2
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Yes, if funds allow, please get a Phantom 3 Pro, and you hopefully already have an adequate computer, for playing thee amazing 4K video.

Having Lightbridge onboard, will give you much more range, for those long flights that make you happiest. Ha

RedHotPoker
2017-1-2
Use props
Microcyb
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1095955 ft
United States

I avoid water just for that reason.
One thing to note, that on the controller, if you toggle the left switch up and down a few times, it will also initiate the return to home feature.
Also, make sure (that is if you can fly again), to set your RTH altitude high to avoid hitting anything on it's way home and also to turn on the smart RTH feature as well.
2017-1-3
Use props
Vikassi
lvl.2
Flight distance : 17516 ft
United States

Microcyb Posted at 2017-1-3 10:18
I avoid water just for that reason.
One thing to note, that on the controller, if you toggle the left switch up and down a few times, it will also initiate the return to home feature.
Also, make sure (that is if you can fly again), to set your RTH altitude high to avoid hitting anything on it's way home and also to turn on the smart RTH feature as well.

Is the left switch S1?  I thought it was S2 to initiate a RTH from the remote?
2017-1-3
Use props
Microcyb
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1095955 ft
United States

Vikassi Posted at 2017-1-3 10:24
Is the left switch S1?  I thought it was S2 to initiate a RTH from the remote?

The S2 would be the one.  Toggle it all the way up, and then down a few times and you will hear the RTH beeping on the controller.
You can try this in the simulation mode as well.
download.png

2017-1-3
Use props
solentlife
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1087530 ft
Latvia

I would also add ... avoid take-offs from balconys !! I must admit I am tempted as I have a large balcony on my house .... but so far I have resisted the temptation. At least with mine - I would have a GPS lock before liftoff. But wouldn't like to trust auto-land on it !!

Nigel
2017-1-3
Use props
Ribfeast
lvl.2
Australia

All good tips   Yeah I would like the Pro or Advanced for the range, but even secondhand they are rather expensive.  I'm up in the hunter valley but was in Newcastle for the evening.  Always wanted to get some video of the carriers in the harbour, disappointed I didn't get to fly around the lighthouse either.  When money permits I'll get another drone.  
Good tip with that S2 switch, hadn't heard of that one as RTH had always worked fine in the app up until now.  I had RTH set at 50m (which would be 50m above the balcony I launched from).  No tall buildings in Newcastle due to council regulations.  Labroides I can't upload the log as there's probably only 20% of the flight in the phone app, the rest never got transmitted from the drone, unless it is stored in the controller or something.  
2017-1-3
Use props
BillW50
lvl.3

United States

I sometimes launch my micro and miniquads off of my balcony. But my Phantom... well the balcony doesn't stick out very far and there is barely any extra room for any error. Plus tree branches everywhere.
2017-1-3
Use props
ePetLicensing.c
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

All good tips... but the most important thing of why NOT TO FLY off a balcony is the metal rebar used to construct the bottom and the enclosure of the balcony plus the metal railing around the balcony which is A NO NO  

First rule, never fly from or near metal... period!
2017-1-3
Use props
Ribfeast
lvl.2
Australia

I had it on a glass table for that reason   It was pretty tricky getting the height right so I didn't hit the ceiling or the railing, luckily no wind at the time.  
2017-1-3
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules