Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Sony Vegas Preview Lag
10089 9 2017-1-3
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
chrismid2599
lvl.1
Flight distance : 797943 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Hi,

Firstly I want to start by saying that this issue is not solely a problem with the Phantom 4 Pro as I've always had the same problem with Phantom 4 footage.

When I import all my footage from the Micro SD card and import to Sony Vegas 13, the video preview is choppy and lags, however when I play the video in VLC, it is fine, but as I wanted to edit my footage in Sony Vegas, VLC is no help to me. I was originally trying 4k footage, so I thought maybe the laptop can't cope with 4k footage, so I tried recording 1080p24 and still the same happens. I have a Dell XPS 15 loaded with Intel i7, 16GB RAM, Nvidia graphics card so I don't see laptop specs being an issue here.

I'm hoping someone here can offer a solution as I have hunted Google, watched many Youtube tutorials and no 'solution' works for me.
2017-1-3
Use props
Microcyb
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1095955 ft
United States

Well, Vegas 13 has issues.  One huge one is any video recorded higher then 1080p will show as choppy in the video preview panel.  One trick is to press SHIFT-B to do a prerender of the video footage.
Also note: unless you have a solid GPU card, your video playback will also be choppy.

Sometimes, editing in Sony Vegas gets really choppy when playing back the video. To avoid that, a fast system with good processing power, higher capacity rams and faster hard drive will make playback video much faster. However, it's very expensive. In this tutorial, you will see how to avoid choppiness at no extra cost.

Steps

Open Sony Vegas.

Drag any video clip to the time line below that you think will cause choppiness when playing a video in Sony Vegas.

Play the video.

If you find the video lags, highlight the empty time line.

Press Shift + B.

2017-1-3
Use props
theGrindLab.com
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1375846 ft
  • >>>
United States

Had you said the issues were in Vegas 12, I would have said to upgrade to a newer version of Vegas. I had issues with ver 12 as it apparently did not support all the codecs that 13 and 14 do. Once I upgraded to 13 (then 14), all my stutter problems went away, and I do not need to render previews at all. I can even run intense effects in preview and they run perfectly. Just my experience though.
2017-2-7
Use props
WindSoul
lvl.3
Flight distance : 16 ft
Canada

i think is an issue of editing software, i have noticed it hapening with corel x8 as well. since the computer doesnt have a hardware decoder to playback 4k, then the playback is intensive for the processor, thats why it lags. is a defeat of the purpose of actually seeing what youre editing, but it also means the software is good at post-processing rather than real-time playback.
2017-2-7
Use props
Aardvark
Second Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

The preview screen, being what it is shows a pre render view with all affects set in the editor being applied in real time. This requires a huge amount of processing power, and is primarily dependent on having a fairly powerful graphics card. If the editor is set to use this GPU (Graphics Processing Unit) for processing this can vastly improve the preview image.
2017-2-7
Use props
PKPhantom
lvl.4
Flight distance : 275276 ft
United States

What edition intel i7 do you have? Also, what Graphics card?
2017-2-7
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

Aardvark Posted at 2017-2-7 10:18
The preview screen, being what it is shows a pre render view with all affects set in the editor being applied in real time. This requires a huge amount of processing power, and is primarily dependent on having a fairly powerful graphics card. If the editor is set to use this GPU (Graphics Processing Unit) for processing this can vastly improve the preview image.

As an aside to this, Sony Vegas has been broken for several versions in terms of correctly using the GPU (if present). This has been discussed ad nauseum on the Sony Vegas forum. If I remember correctly, it requies a GPU card with heaps of CUDA cores, but does not take advantage of OpenCL, which is the more modern system. Much as I love Vegas, I have given up on it and now use Resolve, even though the current version does not have the same features as Vegas.

With regard to laptops, real power in video processing requires more than a laptop will deliver. Computational power translates to speed and therefore heat. Laptops cannot cool themselves sufficiently to handle intensive video.

2017-2-7
Use props
christing
lvl.2

Japan

It's not due to the resolution but video codec probably.  Phantom 4 Pro can bring us h.264 and h.265 codec, which is not idea for editing. Now check solution here:

How to Work Phantom 4 Pro video in Sony Veags.
2017-6-23
Use props
Aardvark
Second Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

The graphics card can make a huge difference to the preview lag, a lot also depends on what video effects you have applied. Some are more GPU friendly which can help. In the preview window it is applying any changes you have made in real time which is intensive. I can testify to this as my preview was always a bit lumpy using a GTX650 card even with all preview settings low. The opposite was true with a GTX 1080 TI where all was set to max', with preview viewed full size on a 4k screen there were still hesitations at times, but only just.
One way round it (I use movie studio 13, The little brother of Vegas) is to set "Automatically create video proxies for Ultra HD media" in the preferences. Although this can take a while depending on file length, perhaps a few hours, (you should see a progress bar in bottom left corner of window) it effectively produces a lower res' version (the proxy, which runs a lot smoother) for editing and preview, whilst applying any changes to the final 4k project.

2017-6-23
Use props
fansfbd82212
Banned

Japan

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2017-8-22
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules