"Check the compass module installation direction"
1630 5 2017-1-4
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
BenStein
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2066532 ft
United States

I wanted to share my expreince in case others are in the same boat. If you google the error message I am getting (at least as of this writing), there is not a single mention of this error message on the webernet so thought it might be helpful to post about it.

Since starting with my P4P+, I have had a lot of challenges callibrating the compass. Every time I fly, I got a red banner indicating strong magnetic interference. I thought it was my neighborhood so spent several flight sessions out in a field next to a lake in rural New England. The symptom degraded. No compass callibration anywhere (yes, all emptied pockets, no cell phone, even took of my belt, no metal to speak of except the iron in my blood). The drone would frequently drop into ATTI mode (even after acheiving GPS mode lock).

The attached image is now what I see no matter where I go. In Sensor State, both Compass 1 and Compass 2 read: "Please check the compass module installation direction or electo-magnetic interference". Note that Compass 1 shows 0.01 interference, Compass 2 shows 568 (!?!). Pretty clear indication of a hardware malfunction, defective or magnetized components inside the unit. When working correctly, I believe the two compasses should be pretty close to each other (ie often within 0.02).

I got on chat with support, and they concur, defective. I purchased DJI Care Refresh and per their guidance, sent it to the provided address in California for repair/replace.

PS: The photo shown here is on the floor in my office in my house, but the screen showed identical error message in the field and everywhere else I tried also.

compass error

compass error
2017-1-4
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Good to see you found the problem and it's getting repaired. I would have thought that would have been done under warranty without you having to purchase DJI Care Refresh. Almost sounds like they persuaded you that you needed to purchase before repair could be done. Which should not be the case.
2017-1-4
Use props
BenStein
lvl.4
United States

Aardvark Posted at 2017-1-4 18:09
Good to see you found the problem and it's getting repaired. I would have thought that would have been done under warranty without you having to purchase DJI Care Refresh. Almost sounds like they persuaded you that you needed to purchase before repair could be done. Which should not be the case.

That is a good point. To be honest, I just mentioned that I have DJI Care Refresh and the rep had me start the repair process via the chat. I had already purchased it with the drone. The rep did not say for certain that the service would count against my DJI Care Refresh agreement.

I included a printout of my DJI Care Refresh agreement when I shipped it back, perhaps in vain hoping it would give me some sort of priority or they would just send me a replacement (versus taking longer to diagnose and repair it). But you could be entirely right, the Care Refresh could make no difference.
2017-1-4
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

BenStein Posted at 2017-1-4 18:17
That is a good point. To be honest, I just mentioned that I have DJI Care Refresh and the rep had me start the repair process via the chat. I had already purchased it with the drone. The rep did not say for certain that the service would count against my DJI Care Refresh agreement.

I included a printout of my DJI Care Refresh agreement when I shipped it back, perhaps in vain hoping perhaps it would give me some sort of priority or they would just send me a replacement (versus taking longer to diagnose and repair it). But you could be entirely right, the Care Refresh could make no difference.

Ahh, I misread your post, I had assumed that you'd purchased the care package while reporting the fault. I suppose it's almost academic now. If purchased locally though you could have returned as faulty.
2017-1-4
Use props
BenStein
lvl.4
United States

Aardvark Posted at 2017-1-4 18:23
Ahh, I misread your post, I had assumed that you'd purchased the care package while reporting the fault. I suppose it's almost academic now. If purchased locally though you could have returned as faulty.

Np, Yup, totally agree. In my case, it was ordered direct from DJI.
2017-1-4
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

BenStein, sorry to hear about the issue, since you've contacted our tech support, we'll take care or your case and help you handle it.
Please feel free to let us know for any further problems.
2017-1-4
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules