How Do You Store Your LIPO Batteries Safely?
5244 22 2017-1-4
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
BKendrew
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

How to you store your LIPO batteries safely?

I may be paranoid, however; after the hoverboard and tablet battery fires in the news I decided to extra precautions.

When not in use I put the batteries into individual LIPO storage bags (which I also use in backpack when using the drone).  I then store upto 3 batteries in a larger LIPO storage bag, and then place the larger storage bag with 3 batteries into a metal 50MM ammo can.  I then store theammo can in the basement (warm and dry).  See attached picture for the lipo bags and ammo can.

Battery Storage

Battery Storage
2017-1-4
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

I don't play well, with safes.. Haha
I just leave them intelligent flight battery's nestled. Within their holding slots, of my Nanuk 945 hard side case.
Not too worried about them going South on me. That's where all Hell breaks loose. & Mayhem will soon follow.  ;-)

RedHotPoker

2017-1-4
Use props
shephard101
New

United States

When you are in survival situation, maybe stranded somewhere, the battery could come in handy during the nights, just find something hard, and stab directly to the battery, then the fire will burst, and here you go, you got fire to keep you warm at night
2017-1-14
Use props
Propwash
Second Officer
Flight distance : 13058 ft
United Kingdom

It would seem you have covered all eventualities.
2017-1-14
Use props
Matt-and-Riley
lvl.4
Flight distance : 324442 ft
United Kingdom

Has anyone actually heard of or seen a DJI battery bursting into flames (without stabbing it). I thought the issues where with older batteries that could be easily overcharged, but you can't do that to these batteries?
2017-1-14
Use props
Odan
lvl.4
Flight distance : 182913 ft
United States

Storage is one thing....parking them for 3-5 days while waiting  for weather to clear so you can fly is another.  Storage, it would seem to me means for weeks or months.  Me.... I just park them in the case where batteries were  made to go. The third battery I have is the odd men out. I don't store it inside the Phantom  so I just stow it in a pocket on the side of backpack that came w/my combo package.   These batteries for Phantoms and such are great.   Just ask any Heli flyer. Older lipo's are really lots of trouble. I never had an unsmart battery last for more then 2-3 weeks before they were puffy. or dead or any of 1000 other reasons.  I think DJI's smart battery is the best thing since  something else was legalized here in Wa....
2017-1-14
Use props
WilliamM
lvl.4
Flight distance : 904364 ft
United States

I made a poll on this forum awhile back on this issue, asking who used this bags or something like them. Something like 90% of the votes was, they used nothing at all to store the batteries in. So now my view is it's really unnecessary to buy these for normal use. Maybe if your flying somewhere on a plane, you might need them for airline rules.
2017-1-14
Use props
Dronepedia
lvl.1

United States

As far as i concern, never heard yet about DJI battery burst into flame. But i think.. every battery that can be charged, got potential to burst into flame if some kind of pressure being put into it. However, the Samsung Note 7 battery got fire without being put any pressure. The design of the battery is important also
2017-1-25
Use props
shawn_
lvl.3
Flight distance : 256791 ft
United States

Youtube has some pretty interesting videos of lithium batteries, being tested in the bags, ammo cans, and other sorts of ideas to mitigate risk. But, as mentioned, a lot of these were older batteries that could be easily overcharged. Traveling and storing LiPo batteries is unnerving when you've seen them burst.

I'd be curious if DJI would release accident or incident data associated with this.
2017-1-25
Use props
Maxi3D
Second Officer
Flight distance : 307621 ft
  • >>>
United States

Those metal ammo can that one can get at gun shows is great for LIPO batties. They come in different sizes. I put a brick under the can for extra protection.
2017-1-25
Use props
WilliamM
lvl.4
Flight distance : 904364 ft
United States

Maxi3D Posted at 2017-1-25 08:03
Those metal ammo can that one can get at gun shows is great for LIPO batties. They come in different sizes. I put a brick under the can for extra protection.

I'v also head if you do use a ammo can, it should have the gasket removed or a small hole drill into it to vent any gas pressure buildup if there were a highly unlikely fire.
2017-1-26
Use props
chriskyle
New

India

I would suggest you to follow thse steps for proper safety of your hoverboard :

If you suspect you've purchased a cheap, poor quality hoverboard, the safest thing you can do is return it for a refund.

Only use the original battery charger.

If at all possible recharge your hoverboard outdoors. At the very least recharge it away from flammable objects, don't charge it while you're sleeping.

Never leave a charging hoverboard unattended.

Ideally, store and charge hoverboards on a non-flammable surface.

Ideally, keep a fire extinguisher close to hand (for lithium polymer battery fires you need a Class D extinguisher).

Do not modify a hoverboard to give out more power.

Don't use a damaged hoverboard as damaged lithium-polymer batteries are particularly prone to fires.
If you see smoke or smell burning, stop using your hoverboard[url]http://www.2kreviews.com/best-hoverboards/[/url].

If you are unfortunate enough to be around a burning hoverboard, don't be stupid or try to be a hero. The safest thing to do is evacuate the area and call the fire department.
2017-5-23
Use props
djiuser_87cb3gP
New

India

Here are Cheap Led Grow Lights for production of plants, flowers, weeds inside the room with artificial light for plants production
2017-10-4
Use props
Genghis9
First Officer
Flight distance : 961 ft
United States

djiuser_87cb3gP Posted at 2017-10-4 02:53
Here are Cheap Led Grow Lights for production of plants, flowers, weeds inside the room with artificial light for plants production

I think you are a bit confused...this is a forum for DJI UAVs
Not hydroponics...
2017-10-4
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Smoke enough of that herb, and you too will be flying....

For medicinal purposes only, right? Hehe

RedHotPoker
2017-10-4
Use props
Genghis9
First Officer
Flight distance : 961 ft
United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2017-10-4 12:01
Smoke enough of that herb, and you too will be flying....

For medicinal purposes only, right? Hehe

Yeah, they may be flying alright, but a little too low for my liking...
2017-10-4
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Genghis9 Posted at 2017-10-4 12:03
Yeah, they may be flying alright, but a little too low for my liking...

Rent scaffolding? Hahaha

Or ride the elavator, to the top. Chuckles

RedHotPoker
2017-10-4
Use props
repairman
lvl.3
Flight distance : 16581 ft
United States

i use a ammo can for some,put some in an old furnice thats not used anymore.no gas hooked up either ha ha.
2017-10-4
Use props
ACW
Captain
Flight distance : 13864580 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I use lipo fire bags with connector covers too if I'm not flying for more than a week (& @ 50% charge). Otherwise, I leave them in the case
2017-10-6
Use props
jame91
New

Vietnam

awesome post ! Thank you for sharing  , if you want to find internet marketing tools , you can visit Fan Page Craft [url]https://fanpagecraft.com/wp-site-guardian-review/[/url]
2018-1-11
Use props
djiuser_TeMl4tqtyuVl
New

Vietnam

Hi @jame91! I cound not visit your site. Is it still alive?
2018-2-12
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

I have full faith in my flight packs.
So much so, that I duct tape one fully charged pack over my heart before bed...
With Two under the pillow, for safe keeping... Ha

RedHotPoker
2018-2-12
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
Flight distance : 1087530 ft
Latvia

Matt-and-Riley Posted at 2017-1-14 05:08
Has anyone actually heard of or seen a DJI battery bursting into flames (without stabbing it). I thought the issues where with older batteries that could be easily overcharged, but you can't do that to these batteries?

Yes ... and there are videos on Youtube.

The board fitted to the DJI battery is basically a Charge Control and Counter board ... it does not stop any conflagration should any cell decide its had enough.

I agree that the DJI battery is marginally safer than the average RC LiPo being cased and user is prevented from accessing cells direct ... but that does not change physical / chemical properties of the LiPo inside.

As to OP .... feeling safe is the answer. If that's his way - then fine. Me ? I do not put mine into pockets or cases ... they sit on the side - should anything happen - its out the window to the garden ...
I would never put them in a basement or closed area - regardless of ammo can ... there are videos of ammo cans bursting when sealed ! Most RC users of LiPo's who have ammo cans remove the seal or add small vent holes to reduce risk of pressure in case of fire.
OK - this guy is selling a system ... buts shows ammo can :

another ...

One point that people tend not to take regard of : The smoke and its volume / toxicity ............. you really do not want that in any confined space ...

LiPo Safe Bags ............ there are NO bags or LiPo soft cases that prevent spread or fire escaping ... they RETARD the event to allow you time to act.
In fact an insulated Picnic bag can provide that - not as long I agree ... but the foil insulation does give you time.

Nigel
2018-2-12
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules