Ribbon and camera issue
1409 13 2017-1-5
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fanscd3ca361
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Hi everyone, after a look through previous threads I see there are similar posts to this, but I don't think they are exactly the same.  So here goes.

I have a Phantom 4 Pro, first flight this Christmas.  
So, after a week or so of (very enjoyable) fault-free flying I encountered a problem on a shoot today which was quite embarrassing.  Basically, the camera would not 'look up' when starting.  It moved around a little but always came to rest pointing down at the ground.  After calibrating the compass a few times I began to realise the camera corner was catching on the ribbon.  So when the camera is starting up and it meets the slight resistance of the ribbon it stops it from 'looking up'.  The fix I have found is a very gentle touch of the camera when it wakes up, to help it passed the ribbon.

However, I can't do this all the time, not on a brand new piece of equipment as clearly this is a design/manufacture issue.  Does anyone have any ideas on how to fix this?  What are your thoughts DJI?

Thank you.

(I tried uploading a photo but I couldnt for some reason - a jpg less than 1000kb.  Saying 'no legitiamate file was uploaded'  !!!!)

2017-1-5
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Would you please upload a small video showing the problem?
If it's caused by product faulty, we'll arrange you a replacement or repair according to our after-sales policy.
2017-1-6
Use props
fanscd3ca361
lvl.1

United Kingdom

DJI Natalia Posted at 2017-1-6 01:47
Would you please upload a small video showing the problem?
If it's caused by product faulty, we'll arrange you a replacement or repair according to our after-sales policy.

Hi Natalia - I have since been speaking to Bobby in your customer service, I am still waiting his reply :-)

But here is a link to the video I sent him

2017-1-6
Use props
rustygal
lvl.1
United States

I have the same problem which got worse over time; I would send it back and have them fix it, I did, and am now waiting for it's return.....which may take several weeks. I tried calibrating the IMU as directed, and then a recalibration of the gimbal, which wouldn't get beyond the 5% level. Clearly something is amiss with the structure of the gimbaling mechanism. Mine not only rubs against the ribbon, but also the solid structure in the corner.
2017-1-6
Use props
fansebf92ffe
lvl.2
Flight distance : 107011 ft
Australia

I was having the same issue. I believed it was a software issue, so I plugged it into DJI Assistant, I was  about to do a firmware downgrade then upgrade but when I clicked on the flight log menu, it seemed to reset itself and have not had an issue since.
2017-1-6
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

fanscd3ca361 Posted at 2017-1-6 07:09
Hi Natalia - I have since been speaking to Bobby in your customer service, I am still waiting his reply :-)

But here is a link to the video I sent him

Just to clarify, is your unit up to date firmware wise? If so, have you tried a reset to factory settings or downgrade/upgrade like post #5 mentioned?
2017-1-6
Use props
fanscd3ca361
lvl.1

United Kingdom

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2017-1-6 20:28
Just to clarify, is your unit up to date firmware wise? If so, have you tried a reset to factory settings or downgrade/upgrade like post #5 mentioned?

Hi Jamie, if you watch the video this is not a software issue as there is a physical problem with the Phantom - the camera is hitting the ribbon, and it gets stuck against it!  The DJI technical team have satisfactorily dealt with me so far and I am in the process of sorting.  Thank you!
2017-1-7
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

fanscd3ca361 Posted at 2017-1-7 04:28
Hi Jamie, if you watch the video this is not a software issue as there is a physical problem with the Phantom - the camera is hitting the ribbon, and it gets stuck against it!  The DJI technical team have satisfactorily dealt with me so far and I am in the process of sorting.  Thank you!

Since you've talked to Bobby for this case, may I know how is going now? did you get a case number?
2017-1-8
Use props
PunaPhantom
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1680374 ft
  • >>>
United States

I have a different problem:
I love my new P4P... but it takes about 5 minutes for the gimbal to go through all the gyrations...
Is this normal... My P3A takes about 20 secs...
2017-1-8
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

PunaPhantom Posted at 2017-1-8 22:05
I have a different problem:
I love my new P4P... but it takes about 5 minutes for the gimbal to go through all the gyrations...
Is this normal... My P3A takes about 20 secs...

No the gimbal calibration should be only seconds not minutes to complete, upon start up.
5 minutes is way too long. That would really shorten your flight time as well. ;-)

RedHotPoker
2017-1-8
Use props
PunaPhantom
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1680374 ft
  • >>>
United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2017-1-8 22:28
No the gimbal calibration should be only seconds not minutes to complete, upon start up.
5 minutes is way too long. That would really shorten your flight time as will. ;-)

Yeah... got to get to ytht bottom of the..
2017-1-8
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

PunaPhantom Posted at 2017-1-8 22:34
Yeah... got to get to ytht bottom of the..

Do an IMU calibration, then to a Gimbal calibration.

RedHotPoker
2017-1-8
Use props
fanscd3ca361
lvl.1

United Kingdom

DJI Natalia Posted at 2017-1-8 18:16
Since you've talked to Bobby for this case, may I know how is going now? did you get a case number?

Hi Natalia, yes, I have a number, and Apple in Technical Support has been responding to me on my issue.  I am waiting for next steps but so far I've been dealt with very well.

Thanks
2017-1-9
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

fanscd3ca361 Posted at 2017-1-9 01:18
Hi Natalia, yes, I have a number, and Apple in Technical Support has been responding to me on my issue.  I am waiting for next steps but so far I've been dealt with very well.

Thanks

Thanks for your update, hope everything goes fine, please feel free to contact us for any further questions.
2017-1-9
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules