Franken-spire firmware dilemma
1299 12 2017-1-5
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fansea794e0e
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Hi all.
I'm hoping to gather a few opinions on the best approach for this -  Searching hasn't turned anything up (there's probably a reason for  that..) but this is where I'm at;

I have an Inspire assembled from parts, so the Ncore, R/C and X3/X5  cameras have not seen each other before. The R/C isn't linked to the  craft.

I've powered up the R/C and connected the GO app to find out the firmware on it - it's on 1.5.70

I don't know the firmware on the craft systems and can't think of a way of finding out other than generating an upgrade log

I don't know the firmware on the X3 and X5 (but guess I might be able to  retrieve that info by mounting them on an Osmo and looking in the app?)  This iprobably sn't as important as the rest of the craft

I'm at the stage where I'm ready to power on the craft but I'm wary that  the one or more systems  could be a version behind the R/C - I'm  unlikely to be able to bind straight off

My understanding of the Inspire firmware history is;

X3 (Inspire 1)
1.2.0.14 - Jan '15
1.2.0.16 - Feb '15
1.2.0.17 - Mar '15
1.2.1.0 - Apr '15
1.2.1.03 - May '15
1.2.1.06 - May '15
1.3.0.00 - Aug '15
1.4.0.10 - Sept '15
1.5.0.30 - Dec '15
1.6.0.40 - Dec '15 - R/C 1.5.70
1.7.0.90 - Mar '16 - R/C 1.5.80
1.8.1.00 - Apr '16 - R/C 1.6.0
1.9.1.10 - June '16
1.9.1.30 - July '16 - R/C 1.7.40
1.10.1.40 - Dec '16

X5 (Inspire Pro)
1.1.0.40 - Nov '15
1.2.0.50 - Dec '15
1.3.0.60 - Dec '15
1.4.0.70 - Mar '16
1.8.1.00 - Apr '16 - R/C 1.6.0
1.9.1.10 - June '16
1.9.1.30 - July '16 - R/C 1.7.40
1.10.1.4.0 - Dec '16

Sooooo, my thinking is, if I try putting a 'safe'ish update like  1.8.1.00 on the SD card, try updating the craft and then study the log  results, I'm hoping it will bring the camera/craft/battery up to that  firmware level and give me some information on the components. Where  they were and whether they got upgraded

At that point, I should be able to bind or update/bind the v1.5.7 R/C, yes?

Another school of thought, which @Donnie  wondered about, is trying to reset the craft and R/C back to a known  start point (1.3.0.00) and taking it forward. This has got it's merits  but I'm concerned I'm in for a world of pain trying to roll back all the  components so far. I believe the R/C can be done with the button-press  combo, but I have no idea how to revert the aircraft and even less so  the cameras. I'm not even sure it's possible. I can't help feeling given  the R/C is at a known point, just making sure the aircraft is at or  ahead of it, has the most chance of success.

Any thoughts gratefully received..

2017-1-5
Use props
Daroga
First Officer
Flight distance : 3517287 ft
  • >>>
United States

Because aircraft firmware 1.8.1.00 changed the encryption between the aircraft and RC, I'd suggest that you start by upgrading the aircraft to 1.5.0.30 which would match the 1.5.70 RC firmware.

Aircraft firmware 1.5.0.30 can be downloaded from DJI by clicking on this link

That process will also let you look at the detailed log hidden in the hidden MISC folder on the upgrade SD card. Components that already have more recent firmware will not be affected. From the detailed log, we can determine the next best upgrade path.

If you want to move to 1.8.1.00, it can be downloaded from DJI by clicking on this link. Again, it changes encryption, so you may want to manually install the 1.6.0 RC firmware, using a usb stick instead of the GO App. The 1.6.0 RC firmware can be downloaded from DJ here by clicking on this link. If you pursue this course, upgrade the aircraft first, and then the RC.

I have links to both aircraft and RC downloads if you need additional packages...

Good luck and keep us posted.

2017-1-5
Use props
DarrenE
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Thanks ever so much for such a quick and helpful answer. You're a lifesaver!

I'll give it a go with 1.5.0.30 this weekend and report back...
2017-1-5
Use props
RichJ53
First Officer
Flight distance : 1837356 ft
  • >>>
United States

Daroga Posted at 2017-1-5 11:32
Because aircraft firmware 1.8.1.00 changed the encryption between the aircraft and RC, I'd suggest that you start by upgrading the aircraft to 1.5.0.30 which would match the 1.5.70 RC firmware.

Aircraft firmware 1.5.0.30 can be downloaded from DJI by clicking on this link

Great answer daroga.....
agree with you
Rich
2017-1-5
Use props
Daroga
First Officer
Flight distance : 3517287 ft
  • >>>
United States

DarrenE Posted at 2017-1-5 12:08
Thanks ever so much for such a quick and helpful answer. You're a lifesaver!

I'll give it a go with 1.5.0.30 this weekend and report back...

With the Inspire 1, the firmware packages are assembled based on the camera that is attached, since the usb/sd card with the .bin file is inserted into the camera.... All packages contain the main aircraft firmware components, but only have the associated camera components for a single camera model. The previous download link was assuming that the X3 camera is attached to your aircraft. Just in case you have the X5 camera attached, here is the link for the X5 v1.4.0.70 which likewise is compatible with your current RC firmware version. Click here to download the X5 v1.4.0.70 firmware from DJI.

With multiple cameras, you download seperate firmware files for each camera; X3, X5, X5R. You attach one camera and update the aircraft. Both the aircraft and camera are updated. Next, you attach a second camera and update using its firmware package. Aircraft components already updated are ignored, so only the camera firmware is updated. You continue until all of your cameras are updated.....

If you're using the X3, then you won't need this package.....
2017-1-6
Use props
DarrenE
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Thanks again - That's how I thought it worked. It's great to have it confirmed.

Some research on the verbose/hidden log content generated by an update indicates it should list component/subcomponent values along with their corresponding before/after firmware values shouldn't it? I hadn't realised quite how many parts on the craft were affected by the firmware

I'd realised after I downloaded from the link that it was the non-pro version. The X5 firmware files now have FC550 in the filenames don't they.. I'd planned on putting the X3 on for the update process and using the 1.5.0.30 link. If I could get that to work, trouble you for the X5 file and swap cameras.

I've got everything crossed for giving it a try tomorrow. I just need to find the time to subject the family to a load of beeping - that'll be between taking my girls for swimming lessons and giving my wife some respite from a very needy newborn. There never seem to be enough hours in the day!
2017-1-6
Use props
DarrenE
lvl.2
United Kingdom

So..
My first stumbling block wasn't one I'd forseen: I've powered up the craft with the 1.5.0.30 firmware in the X3 camera.

The craft performed it's wakeup sound, everything powers on and the tail light goes through a colour cycle ending up on a solid blue light which I think means it believes it's in travel mode.

I gave it about a quarter of an hour but nothing changed so powered the craft off and checked the card out of curiosity.
Interestingly, the DCIM and MISC folders (with dates 1/1/14) had been created. They weren't on the card before I powered up the craft, so I think it's communicating with the SD card - that's a positive.
Two attempts, same results. Solid blue travel mode light. No card activity.

After putting the craft together, I needed to manually lower the landing gear in order to fit the camera and power it on.
It was very easy to screw the gear up and down manually.

Strangely, since powering off the craft (and with the battery out) I couldn't turn the jackscrew with a screwdriver in either direction - it's locked. Very strange.. The jackscrew wasn't bottomed out at all and as I say, it was easy to use a screwdriver to transition it in both directions previously - it's definitely a straight jackscrew

I may take a look at a spare servo gearbox I have, to understand how it's working. Can the craft somehow lock the landing gear when it thinks it's in travel mode? Without power, it's got to be caused by a mechanical issue...

Update - after disconnecting the arms and exerting a bit of effort with a longer screwdriver, the jackscrew freed off suddenly - Perhaps it was a stalled motor or something in the gearbox. Tried screwdrivering the jackscrew up and down a few times with no issues. Reconnected the arms and tried a few more times with no issues.

I've positioned the arms to transport mode for the time being. The visual positioning module is fine and connected okay. Tomorrow, once I've had a chance to reassemble what I removed to check the jackscrew, I'll try it again. Perhaps on a different surface too.

Question - How does the craft determine whether it's in travel mode or not? Is it purely visually? or does it remember when it shut down whether travel mode was initiated or not?

My concern is that I'm unlikely to be able to link an RC to it until I've upgraded the firmware and if the only way to exit travel mode is by using a connected remote, I'm pretty screwed. There must be some way to solve it though - otherwise you'd never be able to replace a u/s nCore.

2017-1-7
Use props
RichJ53
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

DarrenE Posted at 2017-1-7 02:07
So..
My first stumbling block wasn't one I'd forseen: I've powered up the craft with the 1.5.0.30 firmware in the X3 camera.

after reading your information and following the suggestions by Daroga..... It looks like you are stuck again. Many have ben in this boat while they were upgrading the FW on the Inspire 1. They updated the remote first and then realized the Inspire was in travel mode... then it would no longer connect to the aircraft.   When the Inspire and remote are out of FW version alignment, the remote needs to be downgraded so it can talk to the Inspire again. You can then exit Travel mode by using the Go App or landing gear lever 4-5 times.  The real trick is knowing the FW version your Inspire 1 is on and how far back you can downgrade the remote.  

It seems that DJI has additional software tools that we do not have.  The newer DJI models have a factory reset available using the DJI Assistant 2 software.

Daroga might know another work around as for me, this is where my facts run out.

All the best
Rich
2017-1-7
Use props
DarrenE
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Thanks Rich. Yes, I'm pretty sure that must be the case.

I've had a bit of a breakthrough I think. After a bit of head scratching I thought I may as well see if the RC and craft would link at all.

I left the craft at travel mode height with the camera off and tried linking the RC to it through the app. To my amazement it did! I thought the difference in firmware would almost certainly have caused an issue but apparently not!

Predictably, they *are* out of step. Here's what I have;

IOS app: 3.1.2
AC: 1.8.1.00
RC: 1.5.70

I can see the battery and sensor stats which is excellent.

I can't use the controller or the app to exit travel mode but I half-expect I shouldn't be able to if the R/C is behind on firmware..

So, the best way forward from here is to use the 1.6.0 RC firmware you so kindly linked @Daroga and update the RC with a thumbdrive whilst the craft is off, then reboot the R/C and power on the craft. Correct?
2017-1-7
Use props
DarrenE
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Gratuitous shot of the innards of a spare landing gear servo...

IMG_2866.JPG
2017-1-7
Use props
RichJ53
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

DarrenE Posted at 2017-1-7 11:43
Thanks Rich. Yes, I'm pretty sure that must be the case.

I've had a bit of a breakthrough I think. After a bit of head scratching I thought I may as well see if the RC and craft would link at all.

That's great news. You can update the remote using the Go App (this is the way it is done now)

Follow the instructions in the video and you will be good to go. The remote updating is the second half of the DJI video. The second video is showing how to downgrade the firmware and how to get into the FW page (pushing on the hat icon 5-10 seconds from the device page)

Rich

2017-1-7
Use props
DarrenE
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Thanks Rich,

The only reason I'd been inclined towards the USB route was to determine which firmware went onto the R/C, (1.6.0 would match the craft and I have it).

USB might be safer if the GO app put's the latest on (I'm not sure) That'd mean I'm out of step on the craft and forcing me to push that up to the latest as well.

I don't think the GO app makes any considerations - it just compares the target device to the current firmware, doesn't it? With the craft off, it doesn't take that into account, so I reckoned if I went this route, I'd probably need to up that to the latest version first.
2017-1-8
Use props
DarrenE
lvl.2
United Kingdom

I bit the bullet and went the thumb drive route, which appears to have worked;

R/C is now reporting as 1.6.0 in the app
R/C is linked to the craft
I can transition from travel mode with the R/C, fit the X3 and have a feed.

I'm tempted now that I can, to RW-run the 1.8 firmware on the craft to get a report and do the batteries,then to swap out to the X5 and run the 1.8 pro update

Opinion on here looks to be divided on whether to update further or stick with these versions, from what I've read...
2017-1-8
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules