8126 31 2017-1-5
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Drone Enthusias
lvl.3
Flight distance : 22890 ft
  • >>>
Sweden

Now im tired of this so called drone, the first Mavic i receive has horizon tilting when im flying sideways. I send in the drone and get a replacement Mavic from DJI.
Guess what....exactly the same problem as on the first one.

Does DJI consider this normal or why does it happen on both Mavic´s i have had? I cant use the video recordings from this drone, its a totally useless piece of crap.
And i tested everything with the first Mavic so i doubt it will help with this one.
Whats your suggestion DJI, to send it in again and wait several weeks? I´m so angry right now. I pay expensive money and get this kind of crap...not one time but two times.
Do you other people also experience this in almost no winds at all?

Also this new Mavic has problems with gimbal tilt when using the tilt wheel on the remote, the video gets terribly jerky.
2017-1-5
Use props
GeForceFX-be
lvl.2

Belgium

look at the video's posted here on the forum, everyone seems to have the same problem.
I currently fix it in my editor (vegas pro) but I hope they can still fix it with a firmware update.
2017-1-5
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

I've watched those videos there is very little horizon tilt there , looks like a gimbal calibration or IMU will straighten that out, I would try gimbal calibration first, you must do this on a very legal surface , if this doesn't work , then leave your Mavic in a cold room for 30 minutes then on a level surface do an IMU and a gimbal calibration.  All dji drones suffer from slight horizon tilt, I would also try it out in tripod mode or moving slowly,
2017-1-5
Use props
DRONE-flies-YOU
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1450594 ft
United States

Wow, the first Mavic made me seasick lol.  Definitely an issue there.  But that newest video you've got looked fine considering you're flying it VERY quickly sideways and it's well below the normal operating temps.  Like hallmark007 suggested, an IMU followed by a gimbal calibration would certainly help.
2017-1-5
Use props
Drone Enthusias
lvl.3
  • >>>
Sweden

Thanks for your suggestions. With the first Mavic when i made the video it was +5 ºC (41 ºF), so it shouldnt be an issue. The second one was a bit colder.
The wind speed on the first Mavic video was 7 m/s (15.7 mph), and in the latest video only 3 m/s (6.7 mph).

So the wind should not be an issue, if it is then the Mavic is totally worthless, i mean a slight wind of only 3 m/s is something a drone should be able to handle.

And with the first Mavic i tried everything humanly possible, so an IMU calibration and gimbal calibration was the first things ive tried, but that doesnt helped anything at all.
I also did firmware downgrades and firmware upgrades, and restored to factory defaults in Assistant 2, and tried all the different settings in the GO 4 app when it comes to gimbal settings. And of course the gimbal is in "follow" mode.
Nothing has helped.

I get mixed answers here, some people say this is normal behaviour and that all Mavic´s has this problem, and some say this is definetely not normal?
But i can tell you this much...i have never ever had this problem on my earlier drones (Inspire 1, Phantom 2, Phantom 3, and other brand drones), so i dont think this is normal at all.

It´s a shame that the DJI employees cant give a comment to this issue, do you (DJI) consider this normal or not? And what is the exact reason for the Mavic behaving this way?
2017-1-6
Use props
watuse
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2064587 ft
Spain

Drone Enthusias Posted at 2017-1-6 01:21
Thanks for your suggestions. With the first Mavic when i made the video it was +5 ºC (41 ºF), so it shouldnt be an issue. The second one was a bit colder.
The wind speed on the first Mavic video was 7 m/s (15.7 mph), and in the latest video only 3 m/s (6.7 mph).

mine does not do that, but I did send it for repair for an ESC Error because of the frontal arm one of them had a bit longer millimeter of cable which was bending and kinking and that arm had some tension it was not snappy and from folding and unfolding the arm it fail and gave me an ESC error which I had to send it for repair which DJI took full responsibility in repairing the aircraft, they change the Flight ESC controller board and one arm and now it is on my way back I don't know if I have that problem but I don't notice it on mine on yours it definitely show for sure.     This was my second time flying the drone I had it for 17 days and it fail because of this fail cable giving me an ESC error but I did some testing with jerking the right stick side to side and I did not notice this kind of tilting it could be a firmware issues that is bugging the gimbal but if you had 2 machines with this same issues its probably something that needs to be put out to DJI to fix this on the gimbal by software or hardware.
2017-1-6
Use props
Angelo26
lvl.4
Flight distance : 799718 ft
Austria

Are You sure, You didn´t lock the gimbal in DJI GO settings for a more "fly-like" video-shooting ?
2017-1-6
Use props
Drone Enthusias
lvl.3
  • >>>
Sweden

Angelo26 Posted at 2017-1-6 03:24
Are You sure, You didn´t lock the gimbal in DJI GO settings for a more "fly-like" video-shooting ?

Which setting is that? I don't recognize any "fly-like" setting.
Ive tried almost all different settings for the gimbal settings, as well as the Mavic gain settings and Attitude settings etc. Not on this Mavic but on the first one i had. Nothing worked.
2017-1-6
Use props
Drone Enthusias
lvl.3
  • >>>
Sweden

watuse Posted at 2017-1-6 01:43
mine does not do that, but I did send it for repair for an ESC Error because of the frontal arm one of them had a bit longer millimeter of cable which was bending and kinking and that arm had some tension it was not snappy and from folding and unfolding the arm it fail and gave me an ESC error which I had to send it for repair which DJI took full responsibility in repairing the aircraft, they change the Flight ESC controller board and one arm and now it is on my way back I don't know if I have that problem but I don't notice it on mine on yours it definitely show for sure.     This was my second time flying the drone I had it for 17 days and it fail because of this fail cable giving me an ESC error but I did some testing with jerking the right stick side to side and I did not notice this kind of tilting it could be a firmware issues that is bugging the gimbal but if you had 2 machines with this same issues its probably something that needs to be put out to DJI to fix this on the gimbal by software or hardware.

Yes but i don't trust DJI anymore, if i send it back i will probably receive a third Mavic that has the same exact problem, or some other problem, since it seems DJI products always has some type of problem, their drones never seem to be working perfectly on all levels. If its not one thing then its another thing.

This new Mavic even has an additional problem that the first one didn't have, so this one has even more problems than the first one.

So i will not send it in again and wait even more time to get a third faulty unit. If i can fix it myself fine, otherwise i give it back and take my money. DJI even told me the first time that they cant promise that they have any replacemnent units availible and that if they haven´t any then they cant say when they get them either, so shall i wait an indefinite time?
And when people asks me for my opinion regarding the Mavic i must of course be truthful.
One Mavic unit with problems i can maybe understand, but 2 Mavic´s with the same problem, thats not acceptable at all.
And i havent heard a single word from DJI about if they conider this normal behaviour or if something can be done to fix it, there was a DJI employee saying "send it in", that was about it.
I sent the videos from the first Mavic to DJI and ive got a reponse that they have sent the videos to the department working with these things, that was like over 2 weeks ago and i havent heard anything back.
2017-1-6
Use props
watuse
lvl.4
Spain

Drone Enthusias Posted at 2017-1-6 06:22
This first 1:10 minutes of this video is recorded in Tripod mode, even in that slow mode this "horizon tilting when flying sideways" problem is visible. So this is definitely not normal. Also on this Mavic the small movements of the Mavic when its hovering is visible in the video recordings, and as i said there were no winds to talk about.
And the wind was almost non existent:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwaTqhBfRFTyQWRSdWFGYkV4ZkE/view?usp=sharing

It is definitely noticeable when I get mine on Monday fro the hollan repair because one issues which was an esc error had to send it to get it fix if I see this problem I will post it here also
2017-1-6
Use props
watuse
lvl.4
Spain

Drone Enthusias Posted at 2017-1-6 06:22
This first 1:10 minutes of this video is recorded in Tripod mode, even in that slow mode this "horizon tilting when flying sideways" problem is visible. So this is definitely not normal. Also on this Mavic the small movements of the Mavic when its hovering is visible in the video recordings, and as i said there were no winds to talk about.
And the wind was almost non existent:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwaTqhBfRFTyQWRSdWFGYkV4ZkE/view?usp=sharing

It is definitely noticeable when I get mine on Monday fro the hollan repair because one issues which was an esc error had to send it to get it fix if I see this problem I will post it here also
2017-1-6
Use props
Andrejs
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1730177 ft
Latvia

I have that gimbal tilting effect for example here at 0:30

But I didn't find this critical at all. Also, I was flying in very strong wind (for Mavic at 10-11ms) in Sport mode, so I think Mavic performs very good in such tough conditions
Also if it problem and looks horrible you can just CUT this places in final Post Production.
2017-1-6
Use props
Drone Enthusias
lvl.3
  • >>>
Sweden

Andrejs Posted at 2017-1-6 09:38
I have that gimbal tilting effect for example here at 0:30
https://youtu.be/W_gPNN_Iipg?t=26s

Yes exactly, but you had it when you flew in hard winds and not very gently, but i have regardless how smooth i fly, even in Tripod mode i have this issue.
And for me this issue is happening all the time, exactly every time i start to fly gently sideways.
So if i should cut the parts where this happens i would have no video left, i would have to cut the whole video.

If it only happened sometimes and in strong winds and when i fly fast then i wouldn't mind but its all the time. I can't use the videos i record.
2017-1-7
Use props
Drone Enthusias
lvl.3
  • >>>
Sweden

What is the best settings for a smooth flight? Not that i think it will help, but one can try at least.
2017-1-7
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Drone Enthusias Posted at 2017-1-7 04:53
What is the best settings for a smooth flight? Not that i think it will help, but one can try at least.

Try tripod for smooth flight and footage it's excellent, you can also set mission in the new Ground Station app, which will also give you a much smoother footage , or use third party app like Litchi €20.

Have the laws regarding flying in Sweden changed yet, I'm traveling to Sweden in February would love to bring my Mavic.
Good luck.
2017-1-7
Use props
Drone Enthusias
lvl.3
  • >>>
Sweden

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-1-7 07:18
Try tripod for smooth flight and footage it's excellent, you can also set mission in the new Ground Station app, which will also give you a much smoother footage , or use third party app like Litchi €20.

Have the laws regarding flying in Sweden changed yet, I'm traveling to Sweden in February would love to bring my Mavic.

It happens in Tripod mode as well.

Nothing i do helps,, and i mean nothing, it doesn't matter how carefully i fly. The second the Mavic starts moving sideways very slowly the horizon will tilt.

So for the people saying this is normal...it is definitely not normal, at least not to the degree it happens on my Mavic.
I see tons of videos recorded in high winds and in fast flying but does not have this problem.And i get not one but two Mavic´s with the same exact issue, thats what makes me so angry.
2017-1-8
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Drone Enthusias Posted at 2017-1-8 02:58
It happens in Tripod mode as well.

Nothing i do helps,, and i mean nothing, it doesn't matter how carefully i fly. The second the Mavic starts moving sideways very slowly the horizon will tilt.

On my own Mavic I don't have this issue, when I want to film something important I will usually do just a gimbal calibration because I know for different reasons probably only known to dji that the gimbal becomes off set,

But as you have said you have tried almost everything with no improvements, I think you are going to have to send in your unit, maybe insist on a new replacement, I also think you should report this to a mod here when sending it back, and they might make it clear to those you are sending it to, the very real issues you are having.

I wish you luck and I hope it works out for you, because I have been flying this aircraft for a few weeks with very good results.
2017-1-8
Use props
watuse
lvl.4
Spain

I got my mavic today from the Holland repair center and did your test with the right stick going side by side and I have it too sometimes I cannot even notice it tilts but I think this happens with every mavic and Phantom....
2017-1-9
Use props
thehippoz
Second Officer
Flight distance : 23 ft
United States

I'll hopefully test the sideways tilt in litchi after a gimball calibration. It's perfect when it goes up but after a lot of flying around, it does tilt slightly. The c2 + exposure dial works but it messes with your exposure too.
2017-1-9
Use props
method007
Second Officer
Flight distance : 110449 ft
  • >>>
United States

It's certainly normal - it's a feature of all of DJI's gimbals.  It sucks, but it appears to be completely random.  It happens sometimes, it doesn't happen sometimes.
2017-1-9
Use props
Drone Enthusias
lvl.3
  • >>>
Sweden

method007 Posted at 2017-1-9 13:20
It's certainly normal - it's a feature of all of DJI's gimbals.  It sucks, but it appears to be completely random.  It happens sometimes, it doesn't happen sometimes.

Well some say its normal and some say its not. I believe its not normal, and the reasons why i think its not normal is because...

a) many people report they doesn't have this problem on their Mavic´s. And I've seen videos of people flying their Mavic´s in "high" winds and not that smooth and carefully at all, and they still doesn't experience this problem.

b) because i have never had this problem on my other drones, for example my Inspire 1 , Phantom 2, Phantom 3, and other brand drones.

If this is normal then i guess it applies for the Mavic only? And in that case i guess my Mavic´s had more of the problem than most other Mavic´s?
Maybe the Mavic is more sensitive to this because of the Mavic´s smaller gimbal, i don't know.
But regardless of if its normal or not the Mavic is useless for me when it records these kind of tilting videos.

But like i said earlier, it would be good to hear people from DJI comment about this horizon tilting when flying sideways problem.
2017-1-15
Use props
fans589cba4b
Second Officer
Flight distance : 12780633 ft
  • >>>
United States

it's normal. happens to the phantom and inspire as well. it's usually fixed after a few firmware updates. and proper imu and gimbal calibration.
2017-1-15
Use props
The drone enthu
lvl.3
  • >>>
Sweden

fans589cba4b Posted at 2017-1-15 10:24
it's normal. happens to the phantom and inspire as well. it's usually fixed after a few firmware updates. and proper imu and gimbal calibration.

Well it doesn't happen to my Inspire 1 and not my Phantom either. And IMU and gimbal cal didnt help, and not anyone of the three availible firmwares for the Mavic either.
Maybe they fix it in a future firmware update then? In that case i will wait until they fix it before i buy a new Mavic.
2017-1-15
Use props
Guidilloo
lvl.1
Australia

Happens to me too, but I realise that turning the drone to the right doesnt affect the horizon, but on the other hand, turning to the left, depending on the speed of the turn it can twist the horizon up to 20 degrees. insane.
Did you fix it?
2017-2-13
Use props
fans06b77ccc
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1905381 ft
United States

Guidilloo Posted at 2017-2-13 04:02
Happens to me too, but I realise that turning the drone to the right doesnt affect the horizon, but on the other hand, turning to the left, depending on the speed of the turn it can twist the horizon up to 20 degrees. insane.
Did you fix it?

Happens on mine also. Gimbal appears to work fine when I hold the drone and move it. Appears to be same reported in a bunch of other places on this forum, YouTube and  forum mavicpilots.com under help section.
2017-2-13
Use props
fans464c96e6
lvl.2

Canada

This is old problem from the days of Phantoms, It was never fixed. So dont hope that DJI will fix this for the mavic.
2017-2-13
Use props
fans302ccf38
New
Flight distance : 7 ft
United Kingdom

Hi Guys,

I also had that same problem with my 1st and 2nd  Mavic.... And because the 2nd didn't arrive from repair during the period of 30 days I got my money back. Don't know what to do now... But very much inclined to buy the P4 pro +
Just hope that it doesn't have this horizontal tilt while flying sideways.... Have more to worry about than to spend half of my day working out how to fix this problem with no success (Tried everything as well), I know exactly how you feel but at least i got my money back. DJI knows about this problem, but they are not too much concerned about it because only a very small % of the owners have eye to detect this problem, lets not forget that this is a drone sold out for a normal consumer and not professional use, although i think it is an awesome drone for the rest of its characteristics.
2017-8-15
Use props
The Pilot
lvl.3
  • >>>
Sweden

Correct me if I'm wrong but my understanding now after a lot of research and watching youtube videos and reading different forums is that this is considered "normal" on the Mavic Pro´s since it seems to affect most Mavic Pro crafts more or less as far as i have understood.
Some Mavic Pro´s seems to have it to a lesser degree and some more, but i don't know if there is any Mavic crafts that has a totally stable horizon at sideways flight?

So have i understood it correctly that this horizon tilt at sideways flight persists to the same degree still today like it did 8 month ago back in December 2016 when i had this horizon tilting on my 2 Mavic Pro´s?
2017-8-27
Use props
MARSAN
lvl.4
Flight distance : 966978 ft
Belgium

Drone Enthusias Posted at 2017-1-15 03:22
Well some say its normal and some say its not. I believe its not normal, and the reasons why i think its not normal is because...

a) many people report they doesn't have this problem on their Mavic´s. And I've seen videos of people flying their Mavic´s in "high" winds and not that smooth and carefully at all, and they still doesn't experience this problem.

I tried flying sideways with my first Mavic and I also have this tilting, which is more pronounced when flying to the left than when flying to the right.
I'll try it with my second Mavic as soon as I get the opportunity, but I have a hunch that it'll be the same problem.

Perhaps it was an optical illusion, but it seemed to me that in Sport Mode this tilting was less noticeable.

A clumsy workaround could be adjusting the gimbal roll to compensate for this tilting.
2017-8-28
Use props
george_007
lvl.4
Flight distance : 183045 ft
Sweden

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-1-7 07:18

Yes, new law since August 1 now allows you to fly with your drone again
as long as you respect people's privacy. Don't abuse that trust, please.
2017-8-28
Use props
The Pilot
lvl.3
  • >>>
Sweden

Dirty Bird Posted at 2017-8-27 07:58
Owning numerous DJI drones I've yet to see one that has a 100% flawless horizon.   In certain situations there is always a tendency for the horizon to be off a bit.  It just seems to be the nature of the beast.  Swapping drones won't cure the problem.

Well, actually now when im looking carefully i see this problem on my Inspire 1, but its minimal compared to the Mavic´s.
But on my cheaper Tarot 3-axis gimbal there is definitely not that problem. So what is it with DJI gimbals that makes this problem which they can´t fix?
I would love to buy the Mavic Pro again, but the tilting was horrible. I'm thinking of maybe buying the Phantom 4 Pro, but the question is if it tilts to the same degree ?

Maybe one cannot fly sideways while filming, or must edit in post?

Well i guess theres nothing to do about this issue.
2017-10-2
Use props
Mavvy
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1386637 ft
United States

You own this problem, end of story.
Mine has done it from day one, i have done every calibration known to mankind, if there is any wind what so ever it will do this.
Even when there is no wind and you side to side it will do it, you need to use gimble setting as you fly.

2017-10-2
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules