Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Red dots in images? Any ideas???
7316 15 2017-1-5
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fansc64b8b9e
lvl.1

United States

I recently purchased an Inspire 2 and took it up on its first flight today.    I didn't change any of the factor photo settings, but when I got back the images and movie clip I took there is a lot of red and other color dots throughout every photo and in the vid file as well.  They seemed to jump around in the vid like snow.  It is winter here so I thought maybe it was caused by the cold temps, but the dots also appear in pictures I took with the Inspire sitting on a table inside my house.   I really like the images and the stability of the platform, but the small dots show up and ruin the images.   

Am I doing something wrong or do I have a defect in the camera or Inspire 2?

Red dot issue

Red dot issue
2017-1-5
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

May I know what camera you're using?
To locate the issue, please upload several original photos to dropbox without editing and provide us the link, we'll help you check it.
2017-1-5
Use props
dldp-sp
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1065902 ft
  • >>>
United States

It looks like stuck pixels. Sometimes DSLR's will have this problem but most have a utility that can map them out although, this appears to be more then normal. Is this image high ISO and/or long exposure?
2017-1-6
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

Could you please answer Natalia and dldp-sp's inquiries at your earliest convenience? In addition, did you buy this from the DJI Website or a dealer?
2017-1-6
Use props
fansc64b8b9e
lvl.1

United States

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2017-1-6 15:59
Could you please answer Natalia and dldp-sp's inquiries at your earliest convenience? In addition, did you buy this from the DJI Website or a dealer?

THANKS for responding.  Right now I am out of town on a working trip and I don't have access to the images that I took as they are on a different computer.    I will be able to send the images in about 5 days, but I will have to figure out the "drop box" as it is not something I use.   The problem with the red dots does not appear to be related to the lighting or ISO settings.  I called the DJI help number, (got cut off after first 30 min wait) and was told to reformat the SD card, and change the ISO settings and try again.   I did that, and there were no changes.  I replaced the SD card, and that made no difference.   The red dots (there are other colors as well) mostly show up along the right side of the frame, but are also scattered throughout the image, and are most noticeable in the darker ares of the picture.   But, I get the same dots even with the Inspire 2 sitting on a table inside my house, with all the room lights on and the area well lit.   It seems to me to be some kind of defect in the video chip?   One of the things the DJI tech I spoke with ask was "Do the dots appear on the video feed, or just on the final image?"   I not notice any dots on the video link, but of course that is at a lower resolution so I'm not sure if it means they arent there or I just can't see them.   For the amount of money I've spend on this platform, I really need the images not to be covered with hundreds of red dots.    Right now I'm frustrated.   
   To answer some of the questions:   
                The camera I own is the  Zenmuse X4S.  
                I ordered is direct from DJI via their website
   My first question is:  Is this an Inspire 2 problem, or a problem with my camera?

I appreciate any help from anyone on getting this resolved.   I can run further tests and take more pictures when I get home in a few days.      
2017-1-8
Use props
dldp-sp
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1065902 ft
  • >>>
United States

Do the dots appear in the same spots in every image or, is it more random? I would think that if they are in the same spot then, the problem would be the imaging sensor. If more random then it could be a shielding or sensor ribbon cable issue. In either case, it is not anything the end user can repair. Hopefully it is something else though.

Tom,
2017-1-9
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

fansc64b8b9e Posted at 2017-1-8 21:00
THANKS for responding.  Right now I am out of town on a working trip and I don't have access to the images that I took as they are on a different computer.    I will be able to send the images in about 5 days, but I will have to figure out the "drop box" as it is not something I use.   The problem with the red dots does not appear to be related to the lighting or ISO settings.  I called the DJI help number, (got cut off after first 30 min wait) and was told to reformat the SD card, and change the ISO settings and try again.   I did that, and there were no changes.  I replaced the SD card, and that made no difference.   The red dots (there are other colors as well) mostly show up along the right side of the frame, but are also scattered throughout the image, and are most noticeable in the darker ares of the picture.   But, I get the same dots even with the Inspire 2 sitting on a table inside my house, with all the room lights on and the area well lit.   It seems to me to be some kind of defect in the video chip?   One of the things the DJI tech I spoke with ask was "Do the dots appear on the video feed, or just on the final image?"   I not notice any dots on the video link, but of course that is at a lower resolution so I'm not sure if it means they arent there or I just can't see them.   For the amount of money I've spend on this platform, I really need the images not to be covered with hundreds of red dots.    Right now I'm frustrated.   
   To answer some of the questions:   
                The camera I own is the  Zenmuse X4S.  

Thanks for the details, please upload the original pictures at your convenience and keep us posted, we'll help you evaluate the pictures and locate where the problem exists.
2017-1-9
Use props
fansc64b8b9e
lvl.1

United States

I've uplinked several images, taken a couple of days apart, along with one vid file.  In the video file (704mb) you can see the dots jumping all over.  There are also some horizontal lines that appear and disappear at one point, which have also showed up once in a still photo.   The images are about between 6 and 7 mb in size, and I loaded them to my SMUGMUG account into a public page.  You can download the images from the site, at full resolution.  The dots are hard to see at reduced resolution, but are very apparent at the full resolution.    They appear in every single photo I have taken.   Here is the direct link to the photos I uplinked:  https://www.smugmug.com/gallery/n-SqLh5g/

2017-1-13
Use props
Dr Jon
lvl.4
Flight distance : 463012 ft
China

They look like a known issue using DNG file types.

DJI have a fix for this called DNG cleaner which can be found on the downloads page of the Inspire 1 but not yet shown on the I2 pages.

I have tried and the spots disappear.
this link will help

http://forum.dji.com/thread-36737-1-1.html  
2017-1-17
Use props
JJJSBP
New

Netherlands

We had this when unboxing and exploring the Inspire 2.
Did you remove the thin plasticfoil  from the lens?
2017-1-18
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

fansc64b8b9e Posted at 2017-1-13 14:18
I've uplinked several images, taken a couple of days apart, along with one vid file.  In the video file (704mb) you can see the dots jumping all over.  There are also some horizontal lines that appear and disappear at one point, which have also showed up once in a still photo.   The images are about between 6 and 7 mb in size, and I loaded them to my SMUGMUG account into a public page.  You can download the images from the site, at full resolution.  The dots are hard to see at reduced resolution, but are very apparent at the full resolution.    They appear in every single photo I have taken.   Here is the direct link to the photos I uplinked:  https://www.smugmug.com/gallery/n-SqLh5g/

Sorry for the issue, may I know you've contacted our support to send it in or not?
If no, please submit here for a case number and apply for pickup: https://repair.dji.com/en/SelfRepair/Area
Then please provide us your case number, we'll help you follow up it.
2017-1-18
Use props
fansc64b8b9e
lvl.1

United States

I have been gone on a business trip and have not been able to respond, but I did contact customer support three times so far.  The first time I got cut off the phone after 20 minutes.   The second time the individual I spoke with told me to reformat the SDI card, which I did without any success.  I then decided to replace the SDI card "just in case" that was the issue, which made no difference.    I next contacted customer support  and it was suggested that I plug in the Inspire 2 to my computer and download the latest version of the DJI Assistant software and then do a "factory reset".    I have not been home long enough to do that; it makes me nervous but I will attempt it once I can get to my computer and figure out how to do what they have suggested I do.  It seems an odd thing to have to do on a brand new piece of hardware, so I am not hopeful, but at this juncture I have had my Inspire 2 since the end of December and I have been using my Phantom II instead because it doesn't have red dots in the photos.   It is too bad that DJI has not grown in size to the point there are authorized dealers in the cities to take it to for checkouts and repairs when issues arise.   I still don't know if I have a camera problem or a drone problem or both.    If the factory reset doesnt work I am feeling like just mailing the entire thing away and trying to get my purchase price refunded.   
       I have also gone to the online repair pages of the site, but I do not even know enough to define the problem.    I don't know if its a camera issue, a software issue, or an Inspire 2 issue, and since the camera is separate from the drone its important to figure that out.    It would be much easier to replace the camera and mail it back, than to replace everything.      
2017-1-31
Use props
fansc64b8b9e
lvl.1

United States

Dr Jon Posted at 2017-1-17 19:33
They look like a known issue using DNG file types.

DJI have a fix for this called DNG cleaner which can be found on the downloads page of the Inspire 1 but not yet shown on the I2 pages.

I appreciate your reply---I did download the DJI Cleaner but it did not work correctly on my MAC.   It may well work on a PC--I don't know.   I do not think it will work with the video files--the horizontal lines and jumping dots make the moving images worthless.    And, from my perspective, it is not acceptable to me to have to run all of my files through a post processor and spend hours trying to edit out defects that need  to be removed from every picture and every file.   This is a $3000+ drone.   This thing needs to work.  The sad truth is the Phantom II I have takes better images.   
2017-1-31
Use props
fansc64b8b9e
lvl.1

United States

JJJSBP Posted at 2017-1-18 03:05
We had this when unboxing and exploring the Inspire 2.
Did you remove the thin plasticfoil  from the lens?

Yes I did remove the thin film from the lens
2017-1-31
Use props
GB44
lvl.4
Flight distance : 343848 ft
United Kingdom

Looks like a damaged camera sensor.  This happened with a few cameras on the first Inspire 1 releases and a quick fix was released by DJI that adjusted the sensor some how.  I had a similar issue with one of my original cameras and it was replaced under warranty.
2017-2-2
Use props
fansc64b8b9e
lvl.1

United States

Welllll.......wanted to come back on here and THANK everyone for your inputs, and ideas.    I was finally able to plug in the Inspire2 to my computer, and I ran the latest copy of the DJI ASSISTANT software, and then I did the factory reset, and a firmware upgrade.    I am not that "computer savvy" but I pulled it off, and then, with fingers crossed, I took the think outside.   At first the Inspire 2 would not connect to my controller, but then I remembered the little "switch" which you have to move when you connect it to the DJI ASSISTANT software.  (It tells you to move the switch when you select the "how to connect" help button.   So, I powered everything down, moved the little switch back "up" and then I powered everything back up, and everything linked.   I did nothing else, but after I got a good GPS lock, I took it off and flew it around, taking some still images and also some video shorts.   The time of day was dusk, and I expected to come back inside and see the same red dots, but they are GONE!   GONE!    The images are now crystal clear, and in fact incredibly so.    It's just AMAZING!     And to add to my joy now the video files no longer have lines jumping through them and there are no longer the strings of colored dots dancing across the videos either.     Sooooo, I've gone from a disappointed customer to a very happy one!    And, I don't have to mail anything back!!!     Hopefully, this will help others as well!   
   Again, thanks to those of you who read my issue and responded to it.   And a special thanks to the unknown DJI guy who helped me on the customer support line.   This issue is resolved for me!
2017-2-4
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules