Inspire 1 controller will not connect...bad USB port?
12Next >
23642 57 2015-2-15
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
brent.browningh
lvl.1

United States

On the fourth flight of my DJI Inspire 1, I went to connect my Samsung S5 to the controller just like I had done previously.  This time, however, the DJI Pilot App just shows "Disconnected" at the top center of the screen.  It looks the same way if you enable your DJI Pilot app without any conenction to the controller.

Maybe something was wrong with my DJI Pilot App?  I uninstalled, reinstalled and tried again.  Same result.

Maybe my phone needs to restart?  Rebooted phone, tried again, same result.

Maybe USB debugging got turned off somehow?  Nope.  Toggled it and tried again.  Same result.

Maybe it's my S5?  Tried with my iPad Air 2 using the latest DJI Pilot App from the AppStore.  Same result.

Maybe it just needs an iPhone to love on?  Tried it with borrowed iPhone.  Same result.

Maybe I need to try a firmware update?  Copied latest DJI firmware to formatted (FAT32) SD card.  Placed it in reader and put on controller.  Nothing happens other than the controller powering on and showing one red dot on left and 4 white dots to right (same dispaly as when the Inpsire 1 is off but the controller is on).  Left it this way for well over 10 minutes.  No change.

Maybe my SD card or card reader is bad?  Tried with two different USB sticks...same resutls.

Got on chat with DJI support.  They had me redo some of the above...same results.   Asked me to send an email into DJI support with details...which I've done and I am now in the back-and-forth with DJI support to try and resolve.   Thought I would ask the community for some help now via this post.

My thoughts:  the USB port/controller on the Inspire controller has gone "bad".  I can still use the controller to cycle the landing gear, power up the rotors, and even took it up for a few batteries worth of manual flying with no Pilot App attached.  Still flies great.  It will still activate and control the onboard camera and all seems great except that it won't attached to DJI Pilot App.

I'm tempted to crack open the controller and see if something has just become disconnected internally given how it went from working to non-working without any other changes in between.  I also noticed that my S5 receives a charging current from the controller when it's plugged in via USB...still no communication to DJI Pilot App but it does make the S5 chirp and enter charging mode.

Anyone else having this issue and possibly now of a fix or next steps to try?   Overall, the rest of the Inspire 1 experience has been great.

Thanks!
-brent

2015-2-15
Use props
Bkackman
lvl.3
Flight distance : 3445020 ft
United States

Have you tried a different USB cable? Another user, mtnred.gmail, had a similar problem  and said it was a bad cable. View the "upset" thread. Good luck.
2015-2-15
Use props
dundee
First Officer
Flight distance : 33550 ft

Thailand

Yep, me too had a bad lightning cable to my Ipad air
new cable.... problem fixed,  guaranteed
2015-2-15
Use props
Roastie
lvl.2

France

I have had the same issue with my S5.  I have never been able to get it connected.   I tried it with my wife's S5, still no go.  I though there was something wrong with the controller too.  If you've got an old ipad lying around you can test it with that just to make sure the port works, but I guess it does.  Just some strange S5 weirdness going on.

Anyway, I went and bought an Ipad Mini 2.Problem solved, sort of.

No idea why it won't work on my S5.  I tried a bunch of different cables, including the one with the funny wide connector on the phone side.   No go.  If you find out what the answer is - let me know
Cheers
Roastie
2015-2-15
Use props
Markc
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1637933 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Anyone got a second controller to try? Maybe the port on the controller is faulty.  Have the same issue with mine and tried 5 cables in my IPad air 2 with no luck
2015-2-15
Use props
crossfittb
lvl.3

United States

I had the same problem today. I have two remotes. One uses Android tablet the other uses my iPhone. My Android tablet will not work but my iPhone does work. Not sure why my Android will not connect to the camera any more. I've been using this set up for two weeks with no problems until today. Has DJI discontinued the Pilot App for Android?
2015-2-15
Use props
brent.browningh
lvl.1

United States

Bkackman Posted at 2015-2-15 23:34
Have you tried a different USB cable? Another user, mtnred.gmail, had a similar problem  and said it ...

At this point I have tried six different USB cables...all of which seem to work fine connecting the S5 to the computer but none of which work with the DJI controller.  I'm confident that it's not the USB cable at this point.   The other thing that worries me is that the USB port on the controller will not recognize a SD card in a card reader or a USB stick when both of them contain the latest DJI firmware.  It just sits there.
2015-2-15
Use props
brent.browningh
lvl.1

United States

Roastie Posted at 2015-2-16 00:13
I have had the same issue with my S5.  I have never been able to get it connected.   I tried it with ...

Well I don't have an iPad mini to try but I do have a new iPad Air 2 that i downloaded the DJI Pilot App onto and just tried.  Still nothing.  Used a few other Apple lightning cables that we had available and I get the same result...it just sits there and says disconnected.  All of those cables seem to work when attached to a PC.

As I mentioned above, when I put either a USB stick or an SD card in the card reader with the latest DJI firmware on them into the controller's USB port it does nothing either.  Just sits there.  I really think my USB port may be on the fritz...
2015-2-15
Use props
DVPLLC
lvl.1

United States

When you hook up an external monitor via the HDMI, do you get video?   We are working on this same prob right now as well.  We hoped this would be plug and play...  Wrong.  lol   Got it all working on a Android 5" cell, but the tablet is not the remote.   Its a developer issue for sure..  Good luck fixxing yours.  We will ck back in later as well..

Drone Video Productions LLC
2015-2-17
Use props
goviral
lvl.1

United States

I have an iPad Mini 3 it's doing the same exact thing... I tried more than one cable and tried my iPhone 6.  The controller is simply not connecting to the Inspire.  I even tried re-linking using the re-linking button on the Inspire.  Nothing happened. One note I was able to do a firmware update on the controller, which is what I did first before even trying to turn-on the Inspire, so the USB port worked with the USB flash drive, so not sure why it's not connecting to the Inspire.  I wish DJI would reply to this post with some possible issues... but nevertheless since this issue just arose for me this evening I will contact DJI support tomorrow to see what they say.  Please update ALL with your continued status with this issue.  Thanks!
2015-3-1
Use props
pinpointmapping
lvl.4
Flight distance : 5345105 ft
  • >>>
United States

I'm having a similar issue.  My slave controller won't do a video feed to either iOS or android device.  Both d vices work with the master controller, but say no signal when hooked to the slave.  The slave controller works to control the gimble, but no video feed.  Frustrating...
2015-3-1
Use props
DJI-Autumn
Second Officer

Hong Kong

pinpointmapping Posted at 2015-3-2 15:14
I'm having a similar issue.  My slave controller won't do a video feed to either iOS or android devi ...

Change the order of Master and Slave, what happen?
2015-3-2
Use props
gwhiz2k
lvl.3

Canada

brent.browningh Posted at 2015-2-16 06:36
Well I don't have an iPad mini to try but I do have a new iPad Air 2 that i downloaded the DJI Pil ...

Did you resolve this? I have the same issue....
2015-3-28
Use props
gwhiz2k
lvl.3

Canada

Maybe this only affects people named "Brent"... (my name also, and we have the identical problem).

Please advise if you solved this. I'm going nuts trying to figure it out before the weather gets nice here. We don't have a lot of flying days. If you had to RMA, did you need to send back entire package (aircraft, case, controller), or just the controller?
2015-4-6
Use props
gregrys
lvl.2
Flight distance : 103100 ft
  • >>>
United States

I now am having the same issue described here out of the blue. I can still only control the camera (pan and tilt) with my second/slave controller, thats it!!. Unable to to see any video feed (HDMI or USB), can not update firmware through USB, does nothing.  There is no connection data between the USB and iPad (tried lots of different USB cables)
The ports on the back of my slave controller just do seem to be working all of a sudden. ????
Using a iPad Air 2 and iPhone 6+
Greg
2015-4-7
Use props
marinik
lvl.3
Flight distance : 459127 ft
Canada

I have the same issue !!! After 22 flight...I have disconnected to the app pilot..
200$/per flight wow , Dji wake up ! What we do now, please help us
I have a new iPad air 2 , try with 3 new cables... But ....disconnected.....
2015-4-8
Use props
gwhiz2k
lvl.3

Canada

Is it possible that it's a really cheap USB port? Mine still charges the Android, and gets the "Trust this device?" Message on the iPad Air, but plugging in a USB key to re-do the update does nothing. Light on the USB key doesn't even blink.

Sounds like this is suddenly becoming a common problem. I wish DJI would respond...
2015-4-8
Use props
marinik
lvl.3
Flight distance : 459127 ft
Canada

Well I don't have an iPad mini to try but I do have a new iPad Air 2 that i downloaded the DJI Pil ...

Do You have  "connected" right now?
mine always "disconnected"
No respond from dji LA.
2015-4-13
Use props
ysainthilaire
lvl.1

United States

I just upgraded to firmware v1.2.1.0 today. Everything went well except that my main remote control now has the "Disconnect" problem. No matter what cable or device I use. The RC can still fly the inspire, but not connect to the device. I also noticed that my Galaxy  S5 does start charging when plugged into the RC, but nothing else. I am now using my second remote as master and that one works as expected. Sent mail to DJI. Other than that, the new firmware seems great. Did 2 flights with it and seems like a big improvement. Any fixes would be appreciated.
2015-4-15
Use props
mario.costa.wat
New

Australia

I am having the same problem. Could not fly my Inspire since I bought it, two months ago.
Any ideas? Would anyone help me.
Thanks
2015-4-20
Use props
markjacobs.talk
lvl.4
Flight distance : 120784 ft
United Kingdom

No surprise really, standard USB ports have a life cycle (no of times plugged in/unplugged) of 1,500 times. Not great eh?
I identified this as a weak point the day I unboxed my inspire which is why my socket has a usage count of 1. I plugged in a small right angled coiled USB lead the day I got the Inspire and it has remained in place ever since!
2015-4-21
Use props
mario.costa.wat
New

Australia

How can I connect my mobile device with RC controller on my Inspire one? I have enable the USB debugging but nothing happened. In the Pilot app shows: DISCONNECTED and NO SD CARD. I am using a new Samsung tablet 8". Can someone help me?
Thanks
2015-4-21
Use props
donutcritic
lvl.1

United States

Like ysaint, I upgraded the camera to v1.2.1.0 today and now the RC doesn't connect with either an iPad Mini or iPad 2, as well as different Lightning cables.  I tried upgrading the RC firmware a few times, finally after leaving a USB stick connected for ~15 min, the upgrade beeps started happening, but the LED color didn't change from red > blue as the instructions state.  After ~10 min, the upgrade beeps stopped and LED showed green.  

Is there any way of resetting the RC or USB controller on it?  Those of you who have contacted DJI, is there any resolution we can attempt or is this an RMA item?
2015-4-26
Use props
RickRoberts01
lvl.4
Flight distance : 191575 ft
United States

Similar issue, my problem was with the I pad and not trusting the device.  

Go to settings > general > reset > then click 'reset all setting

Hope this helps
2015-4-26
Use props
david.p.mann
Second Officer
Flight distance : 18669501 ft
  • >>>
United States

Brent,

Were you able to get this Remote Controller to work without sending it in to DJI?  I just bought a new Inspire 1 Remote Controller and I'm having the same problem. I can't get it to recognize a USB stick with latest firmware. Can't calibrate the sticks, etc.  It won't connect to an IPad Air 2 or iPad Mini 3 with two cables that work fine with my original Remote Controller. I'm fully charging the RC now in the desperate hope that will eliminate this issue. Looks like the RC USB port is defective.
2015-6-29
Use props
DodgyTechie
New

Australia

1. Hi All, i have this same issue after updating to the latest FW Inspire_1_Firmwarev1.2.1.06_en. My Master remote will not start the FW update process at all with various new and older USB Thumb drives. Looks like the RC may have been bricked.
2. power on RC red light is lit.
3. RC can still control Inspire with no USB APP link.
4. Have tried on S5, Iphone, Ipad, Note 8. still no link
5. i only have the one controller and 900 dollas for a new controller doenst look so good.
any further ideas?
6. have tired the gs_ofdm.bin but to no avail.
7. the USB Drives have tried exfat and FAT32 formatted
8. small usb port on RC has connected to PC as a serial port using the SDK drivers.
9. small USB port on tail of inspire 1 give FW details in the DJI N1 assistant software - the RC does not get detected by this.
10. is there some utility to update the FW on the RC using the small USB port as a Serial connection - to repair the Bricked RC.
11. Inspire 1 took the FW update and txt file confirms update success.
12. flying the Inspire 1 without any Vid/OSD is frustrating as there is no indicator of the camera recording - leaving me with potential waste of time. Also cannot frame the objects of interest - all hit and miss and pray.
13. i really do not want to buy a second remote.
14. i have successfully installed previous FW on the RC and the Inspire 1.
15. i have tried many different cables - micro usb and Lightning to no avail - app remains with MSG DISCONNECTED.
16. Is there a way to fix this without sending back to DJI?
17. how can i enter engineering mode?18. where can i get the software DJI WM610? to run the serial over USB thru the micro USB port to reflash the eeprom/fw?
19. i have tried a MHL Micro USB to USB drive adaptor in the RC to no avail, with other USB drives with the FW on it.  

Appreciate any further ideas...

2015-7-18
Use props
timothyallen816
New

New Zealand

I have the exact same problem has this been resolved!!!????
2015-7-22
Use props
marcelo.wings
New

Brazil

I'm having the same problem on my Inspire. I am convinced that the problem is the USB port. Anybody here already tried to use micro USB output of the controller on the ipad or android, and see if it is the same problem? The Dji has not yet ruled on ???
2015-7-26
Use props
codybaker
New

United States

I'm having the exact same problem with the USB port on my master controller. I have the two controller option. first controller (aircraft pilot/master) will not connect with iOS device. Tried 6 different known-working USB/lightning cables. Tried using my iPhone 6 version 8.4. Also tried iPad mini 2--both worked well a week ago. Today nothing will connect with this controller through USB. Also tried USB thumb drive (to update firmware), but the controller doesn't respond to the USB at all.  Not sure what else to try.
2015-7-27
Use props
hinestroza99
New

Colombia

I have the same issue with my new inspire 1, I tried every things but doesnt  work
2015-8-19
Use props
chuck7675
New

United States

The controller thinks that it is upgraded when it is actually not, if you used a thumb drive to upgrade the controller open up the directory and delet the results form the directory where it says upgrade successful put it back in and re-install the update.  If you try to update both controllers if you have the two controller model than if you update one and put the same thumb drive in the second one it will not update but says that the update was successful when you look at the log on you computer.  Hopefully this might help you.
2015-8-31
Use props
mattbeardsleyph
lvl.2
Flight distance : 85850 ft
  • >>>
United States

I've got the same issue.  The USB port on one of my two controllers is dead after today's firmware upgrade (controllers to 1.3.0.00, Inspire to 1.4.0.10).  I've tested multiple USB cables to an Android tablet, lightning cable to an iPhone 6, and a USB drive (for firmware).  All worked fine on the 2nd controller.  Very frustrating.  I hope DJI is able to resolve the issue quickly.

UPDATE: With very little conversation, DJI in L.A. sent out instructions to return the radio and provided a shipping label.  A followup email instructs "..phone or e-mail requests for status updates will not be entertained, as we can only provide you the information you already see when logging into Freshdesk and these requests only serve to slow the process for others."

IMHO, 4-6 weeks is too much and I believe a more fair line of action for a critical accessory like this would be to ship a replacement out, with a return label for the defective unit.  The "send it in and ask no questions about it until 6 weeks from now" policy is poor and a major consideration for anyone looking to use DJI products professionally.  

2015-9-9
Use props
morus
lvl.1

Poland

The same issue here, i've checked different cables and phones, unable to connect with app, however i have connection with Inspire and can start the motors or rise/lower gear.
USB Does not see SD card reader or pen-drive with any firmware. DJI please Help! I've got only one controller.

Regards.
2015-9-10
Use props
bmrchad
New

United States

morus@post.pl Posted at 2015-9-11 05:12
The same issue here, i've checked different cables and phones, unable to connect with app, however i ...

Same issue here. Tried all these things. No luck.

The only thing I wish I could do is not ever upgraded firmware.
2015-9-10
Use props
bmcm2807
New

United States

bmrchad Posted at 2015-9-11 11:56
Same issue here. Tried all these things. No luck.

The only thing I wish I could do is not ever up ...

Hey folks, I had the same problem.  My RC jus said "Disconnected."   Here's how I fixed my issue:   I took took off the camera and noticed that I tweaked it a bit the last time I mounted/installed the camera so one of the tiny metal prongs was slightly bent and probably preventing contact.  I used a jeweler's screwdriver to carefully make it straight and remounted my camera.  It worked and "connected" to the RC.  This has happened twice and both times I was able to fix it.  Good luck.   
2015-9-28
Use props
thecampilot
lvl.1
Flight distance : 2316161 ft
United Kingdom

bmcm2807 Posted at 2015-9-28 16:49
Hey folks, I had the same problem.  My RC jus said "Disconnected."   Here's how I fixed my issue:  ...

Hi,
Did this happen with the same controller?
My problem is that the master controller works perfectly but when I try to set the second one to slave it flags up 'Disconnected'
2015-9-30
Use props
resvaiter
New
Flight distance : 534885 ft
Brazil

im having the same issue ....   my inspire works perfectly but i have no video response or telemetry ...

i can fly, raise/lower arms, record video and take pictures but I HAVE NO VIDEO FEED OR TELEMETRY FEED.

Also my conect to aircraft button is grayed ....

inspire cinza se camera.jpg
inspire cinza.jpg
2015-9-30
Use props
thecampilot
lvl.1
Flight distance : 2316161 ft
United Kingdom

resvaiter@globo Posted at 2015-10-1 00:59
im having the same issue ....   my inspire works perfectly but i have no video response or telemetry ...

My local dealer fixed my problem by uninstalling & re-installing the DJI Go app from my tablet. I think its wall worth a try for anyone still struggling.
2015-10-1
Use props
resvaiter
New
Flight distance : 534885 ft
Brazil

solved .... it was 2 BAD LIGHTNING CABLES
2015-10-1
Use props
bmcm2807
New

United States

thecampilot Posted at 2015-9-30 19:49
Hi,
Did this happen with the same controller?
My problem is that the master controller works perf ...

It was the same controller.  I only have one RC.    For others out there with similar "disconnected" problems, it wouldn't hurt to disconnect the camera, look at the metal contacts in the drone to make sure they are not bent, and reconnecting the camera.   
2015-10-5
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules