warning: "attitude too large"
5604 28 2017-1-6
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
MacIak
lvl.3
Flight distance : 3419 ft
Netherlands

Anyone an idea what this means : " attitude too large, exit forward sensing"?
This warning popped up on the go4 app.
I was cruisung at 165m in normal mode, no steep banking and the fwd sensors disabled.
2017-1-6
Use props
Freaze
lvl.2
United States

Wiki says, "An attitude indicator (AI), also known as gyro horizon or artificial horizon or attitude director indicator (ADI, when it has a Flight Director), is an instrument used in an aircraft to inform the pilot of the orientation of the aircraft relative to Earth's horizon." Something wrong with the orientation of the bird?
2017-1-6
Use props
MacIak
lvl.3
Netherlands

Im an aviator, good knowledge of flight instruments..also have an attitude issue myself so familiar with all types of attitude indicators. The attitude of the mavic was nothing unusual. Slow cruise, shallow turns. First i thought it meant "altitude".
2017-1-6
Use props
Bullseye
lvl.2
Flight distance : 154423 ft
United States

I get that same error, my fwd sensors are disabled as well.
2017-1-6
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Hello MacIak, were you flying in Sport mode or P mode? And were you flying with a full throttle when this occurred?
2017-1-6
Use props
MacIak
lvl.3
Netherlands

Hey Mindy, P-mode. Full throttle, yes. See screenshot.
Screenshot_2017-01-07-21-00-09.png
2017-1-7
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

MacIak Posted at 2017-1-7 12:19
Hey Mindy, P-mode. Full throttle, yes. See screenshot.

It the aircraft's attitude pitches or rolls too far then the sensors cannot fully operate.
Maybe you hit some turbulent air and the pitch attitude reached the limit for forward OA.
You only saw the warning for a second or two right?
2017-1-7
Use props
MacIak
lvl.3
Netherlands

DJI-Ken Posted at 2017-1-7 12:34
It the aircraft's attitude pitches or rolls too far then the sensors cannot fully operate.
Maybe you hit some turbulent air and the pitch attitude reached the limit for forward OA.
You only saw the warning for a second or two right?

It disappeared after a couple of seconds.  After the turn (see path) i did have a 15kt steady headwind, no gust/turb, stable atmosphere that day.
As said before, the forward sensors were OFF. I do this because of sticky situations reported because of low sun and at this altitude no need to avoid static obstackles, there are none.I can imagine that it tried to fight wind and lateral pitch down was more than the previous leg. Right stick (mode2) was full forward before and after warning.
2017-1-7
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

MacIak Posted at 2017-1-7 13:34
It disappeared after a couple of seconds.  After the turn (see path) i did have a 15kt steady headwind, no gust/turb, stable atmosphere that day.
As said before, the forward sensors were OFF. I do this because of sticky situations reported because of low sun and at this altitude no need to avoid static obstackles, there are none.I can imagine that it tried to fight wind and lateral pitch down was more than the previous leg. Right stick (mode2) was full forward before and after warning.

Ok, and your 15kt headwind could have been different at the aircraft's altitude.
2017-1-7
Use props
MacIak
lvl.3
Netherlands

DJI-Ken Posted at 2017-1-7 18:56
Ok, and your 15kt headwind could have been different at the aircraft's altitude.

No, 15kt AT altitude. I do a full met briefing before any flight.
2017-1-7
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

MacIak Posted at 2017-1-7 22:34
No, 15kt AT altitude. I do a full met briefing before any flight.

That's great you use the aviation tools to preflight.
2017-1-8
Use props
Brutus
lvl.2
Flight distance : 124304 ft
Netherlands

Can flying in a CTR zone well above 120 m be a cause?
2017-1-8
Use props
SJT
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Brutus Posted at 2017-1-8 13:06
Can flying in a CTR zone well above 120 m be a cause?

He might want to delete that screenshot before Eurocontrol see it.
2017-1-8
Use props
Brutus
lvl.2
Netherlands

SJT Posted at 2017-1-8 13:09
He might want to delete that screenshot before Eurocontrol see it.

That shouldn't be a problem, he's an "aviator" and did a "full met briefing". Nothing can't go wrong
2017-1-8
Use props
MacIak
lvl.3
Netherlands

DJI-Ken Posted at 2017-1-8 11:54
That's great you use the aviation tools to preflight.

Helps to keep situational awareness. First time i operate an rc device without seeing it, worth to do a good preflight. Only thing that worries me still are the big birds around here. Mighty as they are, am afraid they don't like Creep ( that' s my mavics name, it deserves one). Had some close calls already, different topic..
2017-1-8
Use props
Danny-B-
lvl.4
Flight distance : 306640 ft
United Kingdom

He flies up a mountain face so 160 odd meters above home point but not at the point he's flying ...

I'd say Kens suggestion that the angle the Mavic was (at the time) rotating too far for optical sensors to work will be the cause of the message ... even though the sensors are disabled
2017-1-8
Use props
SJT
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Danny-B- Posted at 2017-1-8 13:17
He flies up a mountain face so 160 odd meters above home point but not at the point he's flying ...

I'd say Kens suggestion that the angle the Mavic was (at the time) rotating too far for optical sensors to work will be the cause of the message ... even though the sensors are disabled

Yeah, Oirsbeek is well known for it's mountainous topography.
2017-1-8
Use props
MacIak
lvl.3
Netherlands

Danny-B- Posted at 2017-1-8 13:17

I guess that tackles the warning issue will try to reproduce it next flight.

Now the other comments: i DID say i have an attitude but not say im stupid. Yes, thera are a bunch of hills and in order to maintain los altitude is needed. The largest portion of the flight i was below 400' agl. Having a buddy scanning for possible traffic on ipad, knowing that in built areas minimum altitude for VFR tfc shall be at least 1000' above the highest obstacle and 2000' away, knowing outbound EHBK at 1300' and inbound 1800', knowing EHBK elevation above me and more than 5 miles away, actually preparing my flights....and knowing that Eurocontrol has nothing to do with traffic below FL245.
I do not intend to pose with my screenshot, am aware of the altitude (it's fairly easy to blur parts if one wants to). There are a lot of questionmarks around the Mavic, app etc. As i learned a lot on this forum, i hope to contribute with my findings and find some answers to operate my Creep with even more pleasure. If sometimes one needs to bend the rules a bit for the sake of it...
2017-1-8
Use props
MacIak
lvl.3
Netherlands

Triplicated, sticky!!
2017-1-8
Use props
MacIak
lvl.3
Netherlands

2017-1-8
Use props
jims3000
lvl.3
United States

I get this warning sometimes also even when I fly with the forward sensors off in the dji go4 app but don't get it in the regular go app.Im starting to believe the go4 app has to many bugs for me to keep using it.
2017-1-8
Use props
Brutus
lvl.2
Netherlands

MacIak Posted at 2017-1-8 14:01
I guess that tackles the warning issue will try to reproduce it next flight.

Now the other comments: i DID say i have an attitude but not say im stupid. Yes, thera are a bunch of hills and in order to maintain los altitude is needed. The largest portion of the flight i was below 400' agl. Having a buddy scanning for possible traffic on ipad, knowing that in built areas minimum altitude for VFR tfc shall be at least 1000' above the highest obstacle and 2000' away, knowing outbound EHBK at 1300' and inbound 1800', knowing EHBK elevation above me and more than 5 miles away, actually preparing my flights....and knowing that Eurocontrol has nothing to do with traffic below FL245.

Last post, because off-topic. Nobody said you're stupid. Nevertheless, flying in a CTR IS stupid. Drones in The Netherlands are being watched by a magnifying glass, people like you give the government room and/or need for more restricting rules and laws. Thanks in advance, enjoy your flying as long as it lasts.
2017-1-8
Use props
MacIak
lvl.3
Netherlands

jims3000 Posted at 2017-1-8 14:40
I get this warning sometimes also even when I fly with the forward sensors off in the dji go4 app but don't get it in the regular go app.Im starting to believe the go4 app has to many bugs for me to keep using it.

I guess the go4 app is more tailored for the mavic and might still need some finetuning.. knock wood, not many issues during ops itself.
2017-1-8
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

MacIak Posted at 2017-1-8 13:15
Helps to keep situational awareness. First time i operate an rc device without seeing it, worth to do a good preflight. Only thing that worries me still are the big birds around here. Mighty as they are, am afraid they don't like Creep ( that' s my mavics name, it deserves one). Had some close calls already, different topic..

Good preflight indeed. You want to think about a GPS tracker, I use a Trackimo on the Mavic just in case.
2017-1-8
Use props
MacIak
lvl.3
Netherlands

DJI-Ken Posted at 2017-1-8 15:56
Good preflight indeed. You want to think about a GPS tracker, I use a Trackimo on the Mavic just in case.

Have been looking at those,  what is a good location to attach it?
Back on topic, from what i understand: the mavic calculates speed based on accelerometer/ gps (groundspeed). In p mode the max speed is limited. So with the wind in the back and max forward the angle between the lateral axis and the  flight path is not too big (pitch/nose down). When turning into the wind and still full forward it will need to accelerate to maybe max power avalable in p mode and will need to increase this angle to produce demanded speed temporarily into a way more nose down attitude. This way off course the fwd sensors cannot "see" if anything is ahead because the "beam" limitations. Like walking with a baseball cap looking at the ground you will bump into stuff.
Once accelerated to desired speed the angle is reduced resulting in normal ops.
2017-1-9
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

MacIak Posted at 2017-1-9 00:52
Have been looking at those,  what is a good location to attach it?
Back on topic, from what i understand: the mavic calculates speed based on accelerometer/ gps (groundspeed). In p mode the max speed is limited. So with the wind in the back and max forward the angle between the lateral axis and the  flight path is not too big (pitch/nose down). When turning into the wind and still full forward it will need to accelerate to maybe max power avalable in p mode and will need to increase this angle to produce demanded speed temporarily into a way more nose down attitude. This way off course the fwd sensors cannot "see" if anything is ahead because the "beam" limitations. Like walking with a baseball cap looking at the ground you will bump into stuff.
Once accelerated to desired speed the angle is reduced resulting in normal ops.

Best location in on top of the rear of the Mavic.
And yes, the rest is about right.
2017-1-9
Use props
Gabriele.fantin
New
Flight distance : 362969 ft

United Kingdom

Hi Guys,

I got the same Warning yesterday, and after that I completely lost control of my Mavic and it crashed in the glass.
I quite scared, any idea?
2018-1-8
Use props
TReggieB
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1404134 ft
United States

I believe it has to do with the wind and the attitude the craft has to go in in keeping orientation. I was flying today in high winds (39 mph) against my own best judgement. I was taking Timelapse and since I was not going far I thought I would be safe. NOT!!! I was in GPS mode and the wind took the Phantom 4 pro and blew it a block from my location. I was lucky to get it back under control and land safely. This was the only time that I have ever received this warning and hope the last. I clearly believe it has to do to what attitude it has to fly in due to the wind.
2018-3-15
Use props
Face-AcheNZ
lvl.4
Flight distance : 96631 ft
New Zealand

I think Wellsi’s explanation is the best;

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3hgddTpTuUo&t
2018-3-15
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now