Mavic moved automatically
4901 29 2017-1-7
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fans34828153
New

Hong Kong

Hi

I have had a very scary experience today. As soon as i got into flight and was hovering the mavic started to move diagnally by itself and crashed on the wall. this is very scary and someone could have got hurt really bad.

how do i know why did it happen. HAs anyone had this experince before.

2017-1-7
Use props
LeleCfWm
lvl.2
Flight distance : 21043 ft
  • >>>
Italy

I had the same problem. I tried first at home in my living room alone and had no problems. Then I tried the same situation in front of friends, and he stood up to take off in flight of 2 meters (and not 1.2 as it should) and moved to the right, lost the GPS signal, and time to realize crashed on the wall .. Thank God it did not hit anyone, but has "only" cut fabric shade and a propeller is broken, but it terrified me. Why did it happen? There are many videos on youtube where no GPS signal indoors and remains suspended in the air to 1.2 meters without problems ..
2017-1-7
Use props
Jason Lane
lvl.4
Flight distance : 260144 ft
Philippines

Without a GPS lock, the aircraft can maintain stability with the Vision Position Sensors (ie. OPTI Mode), but only if there's sufficient lighting and a non-uniform surface below.
2017-1-7
Use props
LeleCfWm
lvl.2
  • >>>
Italy

Jason Lane Posted at 2017-1-7 04:35
Without a GPS lock, the aircraft can maintain stability with the Vision Position Sensors (ie. OPTI Mode), but only if there's sufficient lighting and a non-uniform surface below.

Thanks for your answer! I do not understand why he would do so. The first time was in ATTI mode and behaved as expected, the second time on where it crashed I just lost control.
But I have a question: every time I fly I have to lock the GPS signal?
2017-1-7
Use props
Franz13
New

Germany

Same problem for me today! First start with a new mavic pro, "beginner modus" was choosen. And the same scary experience: Extremly moving by itself to the right (more than 20 mtr).  It felt as somebody else was  driving the mavic instead of me.  Although i saved successfully the homepoint it wasn`t possible to use the Home-Button. After a while i became calm again and landed the mavic without any problems. But i want to understand the cause.
2017-1-7
Use props
LeleCfWm
lvl.2
  • >>>
Italy

Franz13 Posted at 2017-1-7 05:08
Same problem for me today! First start with a new mavic pro, "beginner modus" was choosen. And the same scary experience: Extremly moving by itself to the right (more than 20 mtr).  It felt as somebody else was  driving the mavic instead of me.  Although i saved successfully the homepoint it wasn`t possible to use the Home-Button. After a while i became calm again and landed the mavic without any problems. But i want to understand the cause.

"beginner" me too..
2017-1-7
Use props
fans34828153
New

Hong Kong

Yeah .... my drone crashed on the wall it's so strange .... need to know why ? Feeling a bit scared now to operate it
2017-1-7
Use props
fans34828153
New

Hong Kong

No matter what mode it should not move on it's own..... I need an answer
2017-1-7
Use props
canadianairborn
lvl.3

Canada

Poor lighting people! Don't fly indoors if you're not an experienced pilot, period!
2017-1-7
Use props
Kauldheeraj
New

Hong Kong

I was outside .... and there were lights
2017-1-7
Use props
Kauldheeraj
New

Hong Kong

But gps was poor
2017-1-7
Use props
Flybee
First Officer
Flight distance : 2203983 ft
Germany

fans34828153 Posted at 2017-1-7 05:33

If the AC is not "secured" by positioning system (Which GPS is one of them) the wind as an example will move the AC for instance so you have to be prepared for movements that are not yours. I don't like to say it but it's not a fully automatic system you operate, you need to do some stuff of your own and be prepared. Inside there should be no winds but the light is a factor for the VPS system.
2017-1-7
Use props
Kauldheeraj
New

Hong Kong

No wind as well
2017-1-7
Use props
airoscar
lvl.2
Flight distance : 272953 ft
United States

Flybee Posted at 2017-1-7 06:24
If the AC is not "secured" by positioning system (Which GPS is one of them) the wind as an example will move the AC for instance so you have to be prepared for movements that are not yours. I don't like to say it but it's not a fully automatic system you operate, you need to do some stuff of your own and be prepared. Inside there should be no winds but the light is a factor for the VPS system.

Why does your air conditioner need GPS?
2017-1-7
Use props
Flybee
First Officer
Flight distance : 2203983 ft
Germany

OK, but outdoors?
Then it might be related to Calibration of the AC = AirCraft or lack of it. Do not calibrate if the app don't say you should. If you have a bad calibration that might be a reason for a little drift.
Could you define "poor GPS" which might be an other reason.

2017-1-7
Use props
Kauldheeraj
New

Hong Kong

Guys the mavik just started to move ...it moved 15 m and crashed .... this was my 17th flight and I have used it indoors as well. No problem . But today outdoors without gps at night but with lights on ......and compass interference ... don't know how it came as it was a open garden..... it started to move right and crashed
2017-1-7
Use props
akbarmarwan
lvl.2
Flight distance : 3728438 ft
  • >>>
Indonesia

if you have great thumb and fully experiance with the remote control orientation, just disable the vps and downward sensors,  then you're good to to.
someplaces indoor when in poor gps and opti/sensor are on it hard to move the aircraft like its has it own mind. Thats why we ask DJI to add ATTI function on next firmware to fully gain control the aircraft if something like this happen.
2017-1-7
Use props
ePetLicensing.c
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

LeleCfWm Posted at 2017-1-7 04:50
Thanks for your answer! I do not understand why he would do so. The first time was in ATTI mode and behaved as expected, the second time on where it crashed I just lost control.
But I have a question: every time I fly I have to lock the GPS signal?

Yes, you always have to wait for GPS LOCK unless you are experienced dronist and can fly in ATTI mode.

Another suggestion, please read the manual not onece, not twice but three times.
2017-1-7
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Kauldheeraj Posted at 2017-1-7 07:06
Guys the mavik just started to move ...it moved 15 m and crashed .... this was my 17th flight and I have used it indoors as well. No problem . But today outdoors without gps at night but with lights on ......and compass interference ... don't know how it came as it was a open garden..... it started to move right and crashed

Sorry for our crash.
Did you get in touch with our tech support and send it in for fixing?
2017-1-9
Use props
Aivins4UFO51
lvl.1

United States

sounds to me like its poor lighting, i had a similar experience and regained control of the AC .. then tested it afterwards
2017-1-9
Use props
LeleCfWm
lvl.2
  • >>>
Italy

Hi! Another potentially ruinous experience ..
I was outdoors, this time, with maximum GPS signal, I made my smooth flight and than I decide, even if 4 meters away from the point of takeoff and 2 meters high, trying to return home (having set as the safe altitude 70 meters and not 30 as default).
I press the button RTH and the Mavic suddenly takes altitude, as expected, but only 7-8 meters, turns very quickly pointing my house and begins to move forward almost to crash into the balcony. Luckily I had the alertness to go back and I aborted returning home doing manually, but I did not like.
Can anyone tell me why?
2017-1-15
Use props
Jason Lane
lvl.4
Philippines

LeleCfWm Posted at 2017-1-15 08:32
Hi! Another potentially ruinous experience ..
I was outdoors, this time, with maximum GPS signal, I made my smooth flight and than I decide, even if 4 meters away from the point of takeoff and 2 meters high, trying to return home (having set as the safe altitude 70 meters and not 30 as default).
I press the button RTH and the Mavic suddenly takes altitude, as expected, but only 7-8 meters, turns very quickly pointing my house and begins to move forward almost to crash into the balcony. Luckily I had the alertness to go back and I aborted returning home doing manually, but I did not like.

Are you absolutely sure it was 4m away from the home point when you initiated RTH? If it's under 5m away, it's supposed to land exactly where it is.

If the distance from home is between 5m and 20m, it's supposed to ascend to 10m, not your set RTH altitude.

Over 20m and it will use your set RTH altitude.
2017-1-15
Use props
LeleCfWm
lvl.2
  • >>>
Italy

Jason Lane Posted at 2017-1-15 09:37
Are you absolutely sure it was 4m away from the home point when you initiated RTH? If it's under 5m away, it's supposed to land exactly where it is.

If the distance from home is between 5m and 20m, it's supposed to ascend to 10m, not your set RTH altitude.

I have videos that testify to the sudden movements that it made and distances if you want to see them.
I'll definitely was not more than 4, maybe 5, meters away from the exact point of takeoff and maybe I should dare to be more distant, but for how it behaved I'm glad to have been able to see well and stop it with greater alertness because otherwise, at this hour, it would be in the house of my neighbor!
2017-1-15
Use props
LeleCfWm
lvl.2
  • >>>
Italy

LeleCfWm Posted at 2017-1-15 15:31
I have videos that testify to the sudden movements that it made and distances if you want to see them.
I'll definitely was not more than 4, maybe 5, meters away from the exact point of takeoff and maybe I should dare to be more distant, but for how it behaved I'm glad to have been able to see well and stop it with greater alertness because otherwise, at this hour, it would be in the house of my neighbor!

(On the Mavic Pro user manual:
Aircraft automatically descends and lands if RTH is triggered when the aircraft is within a 16 ft (5 m) radius of the Home Point.

Now I understand even less why not just come down and landed)
2017-1-15
Use props
Jason Lane
lvl.4
Philippines

LeleCfWm Posted at 2017-1-15 15:42
(On the Mavic Pro user manual:
Aircraft automatically descends and lands if RTH is triggered when the aircraft is within a 16 ft (5 m) radius of the Home Point.

Yup, exactly. It should have gone straight down when you initiated RTH at 4m. That's why I asked if you're sure. I hope you didn't think I was questioning your truthfulness, I was just wondering if you were very sure of the exact distance, because in this instance, a difference of 1m would make a very big difference in the Mavic's behavior. It definitely should not have ascended at all, so something definitely seems wrong. Have you downloaded all the flight data using Assistant 2 so you can ask DJI to take a look?
2017-1-15
Use props
LeleCfWm
lvl.2
  • >>>
Italy

Jason Lane Posted at 2017-1-15 22:39
Yup, exactly. It should have gone straight down when you initiated RTH at 4m. That's why I asked if you're sure. I hope you didn't think I was questioning your truthfulness, I was just wondering if you were very sure of the exact distance, because in this instance, a difference of 1m would make a very big difference in the Mavic's behavior. It definitely should not have ascended at all, so something definitely seems wrong. Have you downloaded all the flight data using Assistant 2 so you can ask DJI to take a look?

Absolutely don't worry about it, I said it because I'm really a newbie and I'm trying to learn by trial and reading the manual so I would be very happy to let you see..
Thanks a lot, I think I'll do it as soon as possible! I have to connect the Mavic to my computer, download the flight data using Assistant 2 and contact service Dji?
Thanks for your help and, if you can, forgive me for my english!
2017-1-16
Use props
Jason Lane
lvl.4
Philippines

LeleCfWm Posted at 2017-1-16 14:14
Absolutely don't worry about it, I said it because I'm really a newbie and I'm trying to learn by trial and reading the manual so I would be very happy to let you see..
Thanks a lot, I think I'll do it as soon as possible! I have to connect the Mavic to my computer, download the flight data using Assistant 2 and contact service Dji?
Thanks for your help and, if you can, forgive me for my english!

No problem at all. Your English is fine! Try this tutorial from DJI:

2017-1-16
Use props
LeleCfWm
lvl.2
  • >>>
Italy

Jason Lane Posted at 2017-1-16 21:56
No problem at all. Your English is fine! Try this tutorial from DJI:

https://youtu.be/SMb1RD5pPOg

Thank you sooooooo much!!!!!!!
2017-1-17
Use props
LeleCfWm
lvl.2
  • >>>
Italy

Support Dji send me this file to explain me how download fligh data.. I hope it can be useful to someone (for iOs users)
Schermata 2017-01-18 alle 18.59.15.png
2017-1-18
Use props
Nees
lvl.4
Flight distance : 80991 ft
Belgium

fans34828153 Posted at 2017-1-7 05:33

Wrong. It is a quadcopter. It will move! The 4 motors are never 100% exactly the same. If it has NOTHING to track is location (low light and no gps) it will just spin all motors idle and not compensate, so it WILL MOVE.

Welcome to quads, where YOU should stay in control and not let the sticks go when it "moves"
2017-1-18
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules