Video Quality Issues
7938 54 2017-1-7
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
res89
lvl.1
United States

Bent Kangaroo Posted at 2017-1-15 17:06
A rule of thumb is that your shutter speed should be set at double the frame rate. In your case 60 not 640.
I viewed an earlier clip after d'l it and it seems fine. maybe some noise with vegetation but i think that is from low light restrictions from the 1/two third sensor.

I have heard of the rule of setting shutter speed to double your fps. Unfortunately my PolarPro filters haven't arrived yet so I am stuck with changing the shutter speed to compensate for how bright it is, though from what I've found that shouldn't cause noise in my footage. I'm not sure if you've had a chance to look at my most recent footage but that was shot today in the early afternoon so low light shouldn't have been an issue at all yet the noise was still very apparent. I'm going to try a factory reset either tonight or tomorrow when I get the chance, and I'll play around with some settings on older firmwares to see if that helps at all, will update this thread.
2017-1-15
Use props
Bent Kangaroo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 362510 ft
Australia

Yes for sure let us know how you go after factory reset.
I think the art setting is still available on go app 3 with current and previous FW, though some are stating the new FW removed it.
You may need post processing when using art setting though.
The filters will certainly change the options available to you with shutter speed. Hope they arrive soon for you.
2017-1-15
Use props
res89
lvl.1
United States

Bent Kangaroo Posted at 2017-1-15 19:15
Yes for sure let us know how you go after factory reset.
I think the art setting is still available on go app 3 with current and previous FW, though some are stating the new FW removed it.
You may need post processing when using art setting though.

Did a factory reset tonight, won't get a chance to take any footage til tomorrow as it's 10pm already. Seems to me the reset didn't work as none of my settings changed so I may have to do it again. I was able to downgrade the firmware one version so I may just test that before attempting the factory reset again. Also, I typically use the DJI Go 4 app so I'm not going to be filming with Art, however I do like Cinelike and most of the videos I've seen recommend that now that Art isn't available to everyone so I'll probably stick with that.
2017-1-15
Use props
res89
lvl.1
United States

After I did a factory reset and downgraded the firmware I started up my mavic (without flying) in my basement just to take a look through the camera. I, obviously not having the same scenery didn't see the noise I've been having issues with but one thing I did notice is that when I would go to adjust the sharpness, contrast, and saturation no matter where I set the sharpness I could not see a difference, nothing from -3 to +3. The contrast and saturation had very obvious changes when I played with them. I'm not sure if it's just hard to see a visible difference in sharpness on a tiny iPhone screen or if for some reason changing setting is doing nothing for me. Has anyone else experienced this?
2017-1-16
Use props
Bent Kangaroo
lvl.4
Australia

" I'm not sure if it's just hard to see a visible difference in sharpness on a tiny iPhone screen or if for some reason changing setting is doing nothing for me. "

Im using a decent 24" monitor and cant imagine trying to discern IQ on a ridiculously small device when my actions are required to address IQ.

2017-1-16
Use props
res89
lvl.1
United States

Bent Kangaroo Posted at 2017-1-16 15:57
" I'm not sure if it's just hard to see a visible difference in sharpness on a tiny iPhone screen or if for some reason changing setting is doing nothing for me. "

Im using a decent 24" monitor and cant imagine trying to discern IQ on a ridiculously small device when my actions are required to address IQ.

I see where you're coming from, however I had the propellers off with the Mavic just sitting on the table. I pointed it in various directions and all my attention was on the screen attempting to focus on whether or not any changes were visible when I altered the sharpness, none were.

Browsing other threads today, I found that something affecting what I see might be playing 4k videos on my 1920x1080 laptop. The youtube videos in particular look better on my 4k TV, and the 2.7k is the best quality of all my videos (I have no 1080p footage yet, will test soon) when I am viewing on my laptop. Going to test this theory when I get a chance to take video again, it rained all day today so I was grounded.

Also watched a video comparing image quality with and without ND filters and the footage with filters looked significantly better. My PolarPro Cinema Series should arrive tomorrow so hopefully I'll get a chance to grab some video with those in the near future, weather permitting.
2017-1-16
Use props
Bent Kangaroo
lvl.4
Australia

Your ND filters will allow you to bring your shutter speed down and improve IQ without a doubt.
PS: Are you saying that watching 4K on your 1080 lappy is giving you less than acceptable IQ, but actually the IQ is flawed due to viewing platform rather than camera output quality?
PS PS: lol Everything (IQ) will change with your filters fitted and manual settings dialed in.
Expect smooth flowing 4K without the annoying sun reflections at 90 degrees left or right.
2017-1-16
Use props
res89
lvl.1
United States

Bent Kangaroo Posted at 2017-1-16 19:07
Your ND filters will allow you to bring your shutter speed down and improve IQ without a doubt.
PS: Are you saying that watching 4K on your 1080 lappy is giving you less than acceptable IQ, but actually the IQ is flawed due to viewing platform rather than camera output quality?
PS PS: lol Everything (IQ) will change with your filters fitted and manual settings dialed in.

That what I'm thinking is possible. Below I'll link 1080p footage which obviously doesn't look as detailed, and I am panning a lot but I am really noticing much less noise in the footage when viewing on my laptop, which might also explain why my 2.7k footage is the most acceptable to me so far. The issue with viewing on my TV (the only 4k viewing platform I currently have) is that I can't view the raw footage, only what I've uploaded to YT and their compression actually seems to make my videos look better from what I've been able to tell.

Also as to my theory about sharpness not changing I think that may just be too hard to see on phone screen, I prinstscreened 2 frames from seperate videos depicting almost the exact same thing, one with -1 sharpness and the other with -2, huge difference is noticeable (too much for that slight of a change maybe?). Some of the most interesting finds I've had so far in my quest for better footage, lol.

1080p Video: https://www.dropbox.com/s/3cw3lq4d1xslu1t/DJI_0017.MP4?dl=0

Frame with sharpness -1: https://www.dropbox.com/s/wtlgxwd9ol78tr2/sharp-1.tif?dl=0

Frame with sharpness -2: https://www.dropbox.com/s/meh2m8cowdqrey1/sharp-2.tif?dl=0
Edit: You have to zoom in on the pictures to see a noticeable difference but once you do, its big.

2017-1-17
Use props
Bent Kangaroo
lvl.4
Australia

res89 Posted at 2017-1-17 09:20
That what I'm thinking is possible. Below I'll link 1080p footage which obviously doesn't look as detailed, and I am panning a lot but I am really noticing much less noise in the footage when viewing on my laptop, which might also explain why my 2.7k footage is the most acceptable to me so far. The issue with viewing on my TV (the only 4k viewing platform I currently have) is that I can't view the raw footage, only what I've uploaded to YT and their compression actually seems to make my videos look better from what I've been able to tell.

Also as to my theory about sharpness not changing I think that may just be too hard to see on phone screen, I prinstscreened 2 frames from seperate videos depicting almost the exact same thing, one with -1 sharpness and the other with -2, huge difference is noticeable (too much for that slight of a change maybe?). Some of the most interesting finds I've had so far in my quest for better footage, lol.

Difficult to tell the difference between the two stills, maybe the second one looks better to me.
Dont even bother with 1080 vids, the mavic is known to be woeful at that lower res.
2017-1-17
Use props
res89
lvl.1
United States

Bent Kangaroo Posted at 2017-1-17 13:15
Difficult to tell the difference between the two stills, maybe the second one looks better to me.
Dont even bother with 1080 vids, the mavic is known to be woeful at that lower res.

My plan isn't to take footage in 1080, though from what I understand only FPS above 30 is what makes the footage horrible. It is to export my 4k/2.7k vids to 1080P potentially. The reason I took 1080 footage today was to test my thought that viewing 4k content on my laptop screen could be causing a problem. Also, did you zoom in on the stills? I find it very easy to see a difference at 197% I think it was, in the trees and rooftops.
2017-1-17
Use props
Bent Kangaroo
lvl.4
Australia

Yeah i checked the zoom shots.
Have your filters arrived yet?

I have ordered some cheapies online, should be here in about 3 months hehe, bloody slow Chinese boats.
Looking forward to hearing about your results with the filters.
2017-1-18
Use props
Bent Kangaroo
lvl.4
Australia

Any updates Res89 ?
2017-1-24
Use props
res89
lvl.1
United States

I have only had one chance to film with the ND filters and I think I deleted the footage, it was too gloomy outside and I had to bring the ISO up above 100 in order to keep my shutter speed at 1/60. If the weather ever improves and we get a glimpse of sun I'll try to get some better footage. Sorry for the delay.
2017-1-24
Use props
Stephenoraw
New

South Africa

You're not alone with this issue - this was posted in the MavicPilots forum. http://mavicpilots.com/threads/d ... -get-involved.2812/
2017-1-25
Use props
res89
lvl.1
United States

Stephenoraw Posted at 2017-1-25 00:38
You're not alone with this issue - this was posted in the MavicPilots forum. http://mavicpilots.com/threads/does-mavic-shoot-video-or-watercolor-paintings-don%E2%80%99t-settle-get-involved.2812/

I've been keeping up with and contributing to that thread as well, haha.
2017-1-25
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules