Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Warning: Motor Overloaded Crash
3130 7 2017-1-7
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fans3bd90e90
lvl.1

United States

Hello,

I'm posting on this forum in hopes that one of the DJI mods can review my case for warranty repair. My case # is CAS-383064-J2N4J6.

My phantom 3 standard crashed on 12/23/16. I was flying around the yard taking photos. About 2:34 into the flight I received a warning "Motor Overloaded. Aircraft will decelerate to ensure safety." I was at an altitude of about 95 ft at this time. The tallest trees in the yard are about 60 ft tall. The aircraft began to descend on its own and was unresponsive to rc sticks. By 2:44 it descended down to 45 ft where is struck a tree and fell to the ground. Once it hit the ground I used the csc command on the sticks to stop the motors in case they were still trying to turn.

The shell was cracked so the next morning (12/24) I turned it on without the props to see if the motors and camera still worked and they did. I sent it to DJI hoping it was under warranty. I received a response last night (1/6/17) saying it was user error along with an invoice. The reason was "User stick command error FLY077 1. User struck the treeline multiple times before unit descended and crashed. Conclusion: User stick command error. Impact in air. [Non warranty Repair]"

I called customer service last night to dispute and they said I used the CSC command on the sticks and that's why it crashed and they would send a more detailed explanation in a few days. My concern is that they reviewed the 12/24 "flight" when I checked the motors and not the 12/23 flight when it crashed. I used the csc to stop the motors when I checked them on 12/24.

If someone could please review this for me that would be great. Thanks!

2017-1-7
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Sorry for your crash and difficulties you're experiencing.
According to the FLY077, you struck the treeline multiple times before unit descended and crashed, while we'll help you double check the case and get you updated.
For any further questions, please feel free to let us know, thanks for your supporting!
2017-1-7
Use props
fans3bd90e90
lvl.1

United States

DJI Natalia, thank you for the response. I look forward to the conclusion. I was a good 30 feet above the tree line when I received the Motor Overloaded warning and it started descending on its own. That it the weird part.
2017-1-8
Use props
fans3bd90e90
lvl.1

United States

Just received an email stating the repair is now covered under warranty and it should be ready to ship back to me in 3-5 days. Thank you!
2017-1-9
Use props
Avi8torace
New

United States

To add to your thread since I'm starting to see a trend, I was being responsible by updating my firmware on Dec 28 so I can do an aerial video the next day.

About 6:45 min into the flight I received the motor overload warning so I stoped in a hover.  After everything appearing normal I continued my flight.  

Before the warning I was flying forward at about 50% forward stick and climbing at 100% throttle into the wind.  Nothing abnormal for the flight profile.

After the hover I made a right lateral flight at 100% right stick into the wind and at 7:15 min into the flight, without any further warning, the quad spiraled counterclockwise out of control and into the bottom lake it went to forever rest in peace.

After seeing multiple thread on this subject with the phantom and the inspire I'm hesitant on buying another one or recommending any DJI sUAS products the moment since it looks like people recently started noticing the warning and having issues.

After reviewing the video and the flight recording, other than the motor overload, I don't see a reason why this would have happened.  I suspect that the quad or maybe the update didn't like the contol stick at 100% on any direction but never seen a warning to not fly the quad in this manner.

A bit of background, the quad was well cared for, babied and I'm a fairly experienced pilot.  This Phantom totaled less than 3.5 flying hours and I have over a decade of flying experience.  The weather was clear, although a bit breezy with peak winds around 15 knots; well below max wind limits.  At the moment of the crash the battery power was sittting at 61%.

I hope that if you are reading this to find the feedback helpful.

2017-1-9
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

fans3bd90e90 Posted at 2017-1-9 09:58
Just received an email stating the repair is now covered under warranty and it should be ready to ship back to me in 3-5 days. Thank you!

Thanks for your update, hope you can receive it soon, and enjoy it!
2017-1-9
Use props
S.O.G.
New
United States

Avi8torace Posted at 2017-1-9 22:04
To add to your thread since I'm starting to see a trend, I was being responsible by updating my firmware on Dec 28 so I can do an aerial video the next day.

About 6:45 min into the flight I received the motor overload warning so I stoped in a hover.  After everything appearing normal I continued my flight.  

Yes these threads were extremely helpful. My Inspire 1 Pro flashed the 'Motor Overload' warning, and would no longer allow me to control the craft and it came straight down on a tree. I only had to replace the camera vibration plate that cracked, but what if a lake had been under the craft? I am extremely upset that DJI knows this is now a firmware issue and they are making many people pay to have their drones repaired, WHEN IT IS DJI THAT IS MAKING THEM WRECK!
2017-10-4
Use props
DJI-Mark
lvl.4

United States

S.O.G. Posted at 2017-10-4 13:47
Yes these threads were extremely helpful. My Inspire 1 Pro flashed the 'Motor Overload' warning, and would no longer allow me to control the craft and it came straight down on a tree. I only had to replace the camera vibration plate that cracked, but what if a lake had been under the craft? I am extremely upset that DJI knows this is now a firmware issue and they are making many people pay to have their drones repaired, WHEN IT IS DJI THAT IS MAKING THEM WRECK!

Sorry to read on your crash. Did you set up for a repair?
2017-10-4
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules