Future Battery Technology
692 7 2017-1-7
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Bob14
lvl.1

United States

Hi everyone,I just purchased the new Phantom 4 Pro + and flown it twice, but realized that the Battery lasted only 14 minutes, the battery was fully charged priore to flight. That day, I was flying for the first time and was just howering and confined my flight just within a 30 square feet area and brought the P4P+ up to 30 feet an down again. I read then after an extentive search that howering a drone would drain the battery faster. I landed after a short time when the Battery got to 19% charge, total voltage 14.77 and each cells were at 3.66 volts. Now I would like to ask is this normal? what is the lowest total voltage per cell that I am allowed, without draining the battery to much.

2017-1-7
Use props
jetforce
lvl.3
Denmark

Unlike other batteries technologies that you might be more familiar with, Lipos are 4.2v is full, and 3.4v is empty. Dropping below 3.4v is unhealthy. Dropping below 3.0v is killing the cell. Going above 4.2v is not a good idea either. So, an 1 cell likes to stay between 3.4 and 4.2v.
2017-1-7
Use props
Bob14
lvl.1

United States

As it was advertised DJI is claiming 30 minute flight time, what am I doing wrong here then?
2017-1-7
Use props
jetforce
lvl.3
Denmark

14 min is not right, you should get at least 22 min. Depending on the temp.
Try to fully charge again, and test.
2017-1-7
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Bob14 Posted at 2017-1-7 14:52
As it was advertised DJI is claiming 30 minute flight time, what am I doing wrong here then?

The advertised flight time is always optimistic, it assumes you use every possible technique to reduce battery use. You will almost certainly never reach the published figure. Just go by the percentage charge indicator, unless you want the automatic RTH to kick in. And BTW, hovering is not going to drain the battery faster at all, that is urban myth rubbish, agressive flying will drain much faster. Hovering in a still wind is the lowest battery drain while in the air.
2017-1-7
Use props
jetforce
lvl.3
Denmark

Just take it as it is, its just a compare the 4 models  

2017-1-7
Use props
Bob14
lvl.1

United States

Thank you guys, as I am a newbie and was sure that I got the critical battery warning and low battery warning at 19%, total voltage remaining at 14.77 and cells at 3.69 volts. Now I left my drone turned off for 4 days and
now without recharging it, the battery is a 38% , voltage at 15.12 volt and cells voltage went up to 3.78 volt.
It looks to me that when you fly from a fully charged battery and down to a safe maybe 15% battery charge and  let it take a rest, that the battery cools down and the voltage goes up a little again. But will have to check again as soon as the weather returns back favorable temperature and windless days again. Right now it is snowing and windy here in New York.
I have another question, There are a lot of scientific good news about new battery technologies, that might be possible to double or triple and make battery lighter in the work, my question is, would you think that DJI would upgrade to those battery if they come to market? I know I am been optimistic, but is in it the dream of all drone enthusiast go fly high and longer?
What is your opinion

2017-1-7
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Bob14 Posted at 2017-1-7 17:15
Thank you guys, as I am a newbie and was sure that I got the critical battery warning and low battery warning at 19%, total voltage remaining at 14.77 and cells at 3.69 volts. Now I left my drone turned off for 4 days and
now without recharging it, the battery is a 38% , voltage at 15.12 volt and cells voltage went up to 3.78 volt.
It looks to me that when you fly from a fully charged battery and down to a safe maybe 15% battery charge and  let it take a rest, that the battery cools down and the voltage goes up a little again. But will have to check again as soon as the weather returns back favorable temperature and windless days again. Right now it is snowing and windy here in New York.

I think DJI already use the latest battery technology, they are using progressively higher capacity cells with each new model.
2017-1-7
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules