Mavic OcuSync Interferes with Home WiFi
9518 20 2017-1-7
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
4KManila
lvl.1

Philippines

Hi everyone, I got myself a Mavic the other day. While I was tweaking the settings in the Go App my children complained that they coudnt watch Youtube. After investigating further I found out that everytime I turn on the Mavic and the controller together the wifi at home experiences extreme interference. I was at the first floor with the wifi router at the second floor, and my kids were at the second floor and still the interference was unbearable. Our internet connection was stuck. My current router is the DLink 890-L that uses 2.4 Ghz wireless. Here is the picture of the router. I did not have any problems at all with my Phantom 3 Professional Lightbridge. I researched and found out that OcuSync uses 2.4 Ghz also. Here is the video showing the speed of my connection before and during using Mavic.

Link 890L

Link 890L
2017-1-7
Use props
Jason Lane
lvl.4
Flight distance : 260144 ft
Philippines

I experienced the same thing just last night while doing a firmware downgrade/upgrade using the Go App. During the process, the Internet in my home became almost unusable, and a movie that was playing on my Chrome Cast got disconnected twice. Funny enough, I didn't associate it with the Mavic being switched on, but the Internet issues definitely coincided with my Mavic being on during the update process.
2017-1-7
Use props
akbarmarwan
lvl.2
Flight distance : 3728438 ft
  • >>>
Indonesia

holy mavic! it can kill wifi signal!
btw have you check the image transmission setting on mavic, is it auto or custom?
2017-1-8
Use props
kazcow
lvl.4
Flight distance : 454101 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

akbarmarwan Posted at 2017-1-8 01:37
btw have you check the image transmission setting on mavic, is it auto or custom?

If it can kill one way - then Mavic's OcuSync can also be "killed" the other way around.

So watch out flying close to areas with strong outdoor WiFi Access Points.... Flying through a high power Point 2 Point 2.4GHz  link would probably seriously hinder OcuSync.
2017-1-8
Use props
4KManila
lvl.1

Philippines

akbarmarwan Posted at 2017-1-8 01:37

It was on auto, I changed it to custom by moving left and right the signal graph but it was the same.
2017-1-8
Use props
thehippoz
lvl.4
Flight distance : 23 ft
United States

Try changing channels on your home wifi. There's android apps that will show you what channels have the least interference in a location. I haven't had any issues like that but running nice equipment =]
2017-1-8
Use props
sarge43
lvl.2
United States

When I first got the Mavic, I had no issues until I was doing a little video for a local motorcycle dealership.  I couldn't figure out why I kept losing signal with the Mavic and having it fly around slowly and uncontrolled for short periods of time.  I went to a field where I had been flying prior - no issues.  Back to the dealership and the same things happened again.  In talking with the manager, I found out they had recently replaced their old wi-fi with a new system with more range/power.  Didn't need to tell me twice what the problem was.  Strong Wi-Fi = loss of control with Mavic.  Definitely something to pay attention to when flying it.
Sarge
2017-1-8
Use props
Wile E. Coyote
lvl.1
Flight distance : 31594 ft
United States

WOW... I finally understand why my wife had issues working from home, today.

I knew the Wifi could cause my Mavic problems but I never imagined flying it in the back yard would cause my home Network/WiFi to have issues.  Thanks guys for bringing it up!
2017-1-8
Use props
John94si
lvl.1
Flight distance : 261312 ft
United States

Yep same exact issue for me. I wonder if when we fly near other homes we affect them much. I bet this has something to do with fly aways
2017-1-8
Use props
stratosHD
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1231280 ft
Australia

Yup, that the reason you should avoid flying over the city and close to any office buildings. Wifi would certainly get in the way with the control and you might experience sudden erratic control.
2017-1-8
Use props
4KManila
lvl.1

Philippines

Thanks so much for the feedback guys. At least now when new Mavic (OcuSync) owners search the internet they will be able to see this thread. If there's a fix somewhere out there please share. At the moment I tweak the Mavic when no one is using WiFi at home. My neighbors will have to keep guessing why they keep losing WiFi. haha. I will do a range test later to see how far this WiFi jamming device works :-)  
2017-1-9
Use props
4KManila
lvl.1

Philippines

stratosHD Posted at 2017-1-8 16:49
Yup, that the reason you should avoid flying over the city and close to any office buildings. Wifi would certainly get in the way with the control and you might experience sudden erratic control.

Maybe thats he reason why they used Lightbridge for Inspire 2 and Phantom 4 Pro? Since these are supposed to be semi-professional grade video equipment? You can't possibly do a shoot on location and have to tell half the city block to shut off their WiFi routers.
2017-1-9
Use props
fans29a63f66
New

United States

I have the same issues as well, once the controller is connected to the mavic, it blocks out the 2.4Ghz signal, but it can still see the 5Ghz signal
has anyone have a solution to this?
2017-2-18
Use props
MavicMule
lvl.4
Flight distance : 6329 ft
United States

I have same issues w/my Dlink router.  It's not the best flying conditions outside, so I'll try my other brand router to see if same affect.  If I use my phone as a hotspot, it had no issues.  But trying to update firmware with Dlink kept taking me on & off wifi.  Thanks
2017-2-19
Use props
Tharg (from the
lvl.4
Flight distance : 120784 ft
United Kingdom

And some people still think it's pointless to put their tablet/phone device into airplane mode before they fly

2017-2-19
Use props
Just Drone It
lvl.1
Flight distance : 15518 ft
Australia

I don't really think it's a wifi problem because I am having the same issue when connecting the Mavic via the micro USB on the drone to the USB on the PC.
2017-3-12
Use props
fans4dffc274
New
United States

Mine does this as well,  to get around it,  I turn on "Hotspot" on my self phone then connect my laptop to the internet that way while using DJI Assistant 2 I keep a good date connection.
2017-7-8
Use props
RCNJ
lvl.4
Flight distance : 114665 ft
France

Tharg (from the Posted at 2017-2-19 08:42
And some people still think it's pointless to put their tablet/phone device into airplane mode before they fly

prob why i've never had a problem, I always airplane mode prior to app & craft switch on
2017-7-8
Use props
Eagle_Eye
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4137720 ft
United States

It may also be the same caused why so many users FW updates are failing.......hmmm....maybe?
2017-7-8
Use props
Robshaw
lvl.1
Flight distance : 43537 ft
United Kingdom

This is most probably why my MA has fallen out of the sky twice and only when I've been flying next to my mates who was flying MPros.  We did at one point have all 3 of us flying at same height about 6ft between us with mine in the middle and there was no problem then.
2018-5-14
Use props
GarryJones
New

Bangladesh

Is there anyone who can recommend the best product among the ones listed here?
2019-5-27
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules