hovering is moving away
3527 28 2017-1-7
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
CHEOLK
lvl.3
Flight distance : 5299 ft
Singapore

Why is my P3S moving away when it is supposed to be stationery.
After starting, I lift up the AC by pushing the trottle up. Then I let go off the controls.
Instead of hovering, it moved forward. I have to use the other trottle to come back. When I leave the controls, it start to move forward.
Why, is the propellars no good and need to be changed. I have only totalled seven flights.

2017-1-7
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

It has nothing to do with the propellers.
There are several things that may have caused this and without more information, we can only guess..
Does it drift every time now or was it just a one-time thing?
Were you outdoors with a good GPS coverage?
Were you close to a lot of steel or reinforced concrete?
2017-1-8
Use props
Ciro Italy
lvl.3

Italy

before you lift ...you shuld wait at least 7 or 8 satellites locked (small number on high left icon)
2017-1-8
Use props
CHEOLK
lvl.3
Singapore

Labroides Posted at 2017-1-8 00:57
It has nothing to do with the propellers.
There are several things that may have caused this and without more information, we can only guess..
Does it drift every time now or was it just a one-time thing?

This is the seventh flight I have.
Maybe the 1st time it was ok. But I am not sure as once it started I will fly it up.
The GPS is not so good, I think. as it is a field with trees and lights surrounding it. Quite a big field but not huge. Now I am worried, if high in the sky, the AC will really fly away. How to hover?
2017-1-8
Use props
CHEOLK
lvl.3
Singapore

Ciro Italy Posted at 2017-1-8 01:59
before you lift ...you shuld wait at least 7 or 8 satellites locked (small number on high left icon)

I didn't check how many satellites there are. as I am flying Altitude. The GPS is not so good at the park.
2017-1-8
Use props
Jkeller84
Second Officer
Flight distance : 396955 ft
  • >>>
United States

CHEOLK Posted at 2017-1-8 05:28
I didn't check how many satellites there are. as I am flying Altitude. The GPS is not so good at the park.

So you are flying in ATTI mode and wondering why it is drifting? It's because it isn't GPS locked. Wind, air pressure, other underworld forces can all push your craft around when in ATTI mode.
2017-1-8
Use props
BillW50
lvl.3

United States

CHEOLK Posted at 2017-1-8 05:28

If you are using ATTI mode (as you stated), it doesn't care about GPS satellites for flying. And if you release both sticks, it will stay there hovering. Unless of course the wind is blowing. Then it will act like a balloon and the wind will take it away unless you get on the sticks and bring it back.

I probably shouldn't tell you this, but I often when my driveway is icy, I will take off on my sidewalk between the garage and the house. And both the garage and the house is surrounded by 100+ year old maple trees which are like 92 feet high. Although over the sidewalk, there is a hole in the tree canopy. Although that takeoff spot often doesn't get enough satellites and once in awhile I could get a compass error from that spot too. I have taken off straight up through the hole in the canopy. But it isn't the easiest way to get it up in the air over the trees.

Since I have been flying for decades and I am not worried about my flying abilities (and DJI crafts are so easy to fly anyway), I don't mind flying in ATTI mode and often fly out to my field 4 to 6 feet high off of the ground. Just hovering there for a few seconds, I'll get a good solid GPS lock and then I flip the S1 switch to GPS mode and then I push both sticks forward at the same time and start flying.
2017-1-8
Use props
CHEOLK
lvl.3
Singapore

BillW50 Posted at 2017-1-8 06:02
If you are using ATTI mode (as you stated), it doesn't care about GPS satellites for flying. And if you release both sticks, it will stay there hovering. Unless of course the wind is blowing. Then it will act like a balloon and the wind will take it away unless you get on the sticks and bring it back.

I probably shouldn't tell you this, but I often when my driveway is icy, I will take off on my sidewalk between the garage and the house. And both the garage and the house is surrounded by 100+ year old maple trees which are like 92 feet high. Although over the sidewalk, there is a hole in the tree canopy. Although that takeoff spot often doesn't get enough satellites and once in awhile I could get a compass error from that spot too. I have taken off straight up through the hole in the canopy. But it isn't the easiest way to get it up in the air over the trees.

So is there anything wrong with my AC.
2017-1-8
Use props
BillW50
lvl.3

United States

CHEOLK Posted at 2017-1-8 09:58

Out in the open with a clear view of the sky from all directions, you should have a strong GPS. Heavy clouded and stormy skies probably not so good. Say you don't have anything blocking the top of the Phantom, do you? I often carry it from the top and my hand is covering the top and it won't get a GPS signal that way either. And if you live near the north or south poles, forget it. There are no GPS signals there either.
2017-1-8
Use props
stuka75
Second Officer
Flight distance : 85682 ft
United States

Make sure your S1 switch on the right is at the top position. Gps mode. It will hold better.
2017-1-8
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

CHEOLK Posted at 2017-1-8 09:58

No ... It is expected to drift in Atti mode.
Use GPS mode and you will have position holding as long as your Phantom has a good view of the sky.
The manual explains this on page 9
https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/ ... al_v1.4_en_0112.pdf
2017-1-8
Use props
Ciro Italy
lvl.3

Italy

...AND before your flight check the wind, 15 mph is accettable, 20 is too strong for our phantom 3 you can download an app "Airmap"  ...create a flight with you tablet/smartphone and look at the icon that display you , wind and temperature
2017-1-9
Use props
Trafcon
lvl.1
Flight distance : 27303 ft
United States

The two things I found in my limited flight experience is 1)  Wind  (higher gusts aloft)   and 2)  Inertia like a train trying to slow down. And definitely the ATTI mode .
2017-1-9
Use props
CHEOLK
lvl.3
Singapore

Trafcon Posted at 2017-1-9 12:10
The two things I found in my limited flight experience is 1)  Wind  (higher gusts aloft)   and 2)  Inertia like a train trying to slow down. And definitely the ATTI mode .

Hi
There is not much information on Atti mode from the Manual. Can tell me what you learn. I only know that Attitude mode is used if GPS is no good.
I jhave not flown since that day as I am busy. I will try to fly within the next few days.
2017-1-9
Use props
Phantomski
Second Officer
Flight distance : 14869882 ft
United States

Yes, ATTI does not hold gps, it just hold altitude the best it can via barometer. ATTI is used to fly without GPS help, so the aircraft will drift with wind.. Also, in the future u may experience that if you fly in the wind - especially with lower battery charge, the aircraft will start drifting when you apply the controls initially, then as you apply more to overpower the wind, the drone will follow your commands. But at this point it sounds like either flying ATTI or not having a good GPS lock. Read the manual again, and check some basic tutorials on DJI videos on youtube. The more you know the better.
2017-1-9
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Phantomski Posted at 2017-1-9 19:30
Yes, ATTI does not hold gps, it just hold altitude the best it can via barometer. ATTI is used to fly without GPS help, so the aircraft will drift with wind.. Also, in the future u may experience that if you fly in the wind - especially with lower battery charge, the aircraft will start drifting when you apply the controls initially, then as you apply more to overpower the wind, the drone will follow your commands. But at this point it sounds like either flying ATTI or not having a good GPS lock. Read the manual again, and check some basic tutorials on DJI videos on youtube. The more you know the better.

He said in post #5 that he is flying ATTI.
2017-1-9
Use props
CHEOLK
lvl.3
Singapore

Yes, I fly Attitude all the time as the GPS here is not so good.
Only now I realised the AC is moving forward.
2017-1-9
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

CHEOLK Posted at 2017-1-9 20:54
Yes, I fly Attitude all the time as the GPS here is not so good.
Only now I realised the AC is moving forward.

The GPS in SIngapore is not so good?
Really?
Did you know that the G in GPS stands for Global - it works everywhere and is perfect in Singapore.
2017-1-9
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

BillW50 Posted at 2017-1-8 10:09
Out in the open with a clear view of the sky from all directions, you should have a strong GPS. Heavy clouded and stormy skies probably not so good. Say you don't have anything blocking the top of the Phantom, do you? I often carry it from the top and my hand is covering the top and it won't get a GPS signal that way either. And if you live near the north or south poles, forget it. There are no GPS signals there either.

"Heavy clouded and stormy skies probably not so good."
That's just a myth.
Cloud and rain have no effect on GPS signals.
The frequencies used were specially sleceted to provide all weather coverage.

2017-1-9
Use props
CHEOLK
lvl.3
Singapore

Labroides Posted at 2017-1-9 21:57
The GPS in SIngapore is not so good?
Really?
Did you know that the G in GPS stands for Global - it works everywhere and is perfect in Singapore.

Singapore is a heavily built up country. Small and compact like Hong Kong. All over are blocks of flats and plenty of trees. Hard to find vast spaces like you have in Australia, UK, USA etc.
Hard to fly drones here. Worry about hurting and causing damage. I like to fly out to the sea but have not tried yet, scare that my AC will drown.
2017-1-10
Use props
CHEOLK
lvl.3
Singapore

Hi everybody

I just test my P3S. I used GPS mode and I flown it for 3 minutes at a maximum height of 26 feet. Just testing the AC and the hovering is now fine.
I did not test it on Atti mode as I am more interested to see whether the hovering can move away.
Thank you everybody.
2017-1-12
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

CHEOLK Posted at 2017-1-12 22:11
Hi everybody

I just test my P3S. I used GPS mode and I flown it for 3 minutes at a maximum height of 26 feet. Just testing the AC and the hovering is now fine.

Good to hear that all seems well, please let us know if it happens again.
2017-1-12
Use props
CHEOLK
lvl.3
Singapore

CHEOLK Posted at 2017-1-12 22:11
Hi everybody

Hi everybody.

Today I flew again. Yes, GPS versus Attitude flight. GPS will hoover your AC but Attitude mode "NO".  Very unsteady. Attitude mode is more difficult to control. The AC become unwieldy. Just imagine, high up with wind, what will happen? money blown away.

The last time I flew, it was recorded as 7th flight. So today, it should be recorded as 8th flight, but my app show 17th flights. where is the extra 9 flights coming from?? Something wrong with the app?? I only flew once or maybe twice today but not on the AC propellers for so many times.

Today I flew is because I charged the AC battery full about 30 days ago. I removed the battery after it was fully charged. I also charged the RC full. Today, when I reinsert the battery into the AC I found one quarter gone. Instead of 4 bars, it shows three bars only. I thought the battery will not discharge if taken out of the AC. Is my battery faulty or going faulty?
The RC battery did discharge but not discharged one  quarter. Maybe 10%.

Lastly there was wind, not very strong, now I know why AC can fly away. The wind will fly your drone away. Mine is PS3 Std. I thought of buying Mavic, which is half the weight, so Mavic can be blown away easier. Bye Bye money.

2017-2-18
Use props
blackcrusader
Second Officer
Flight distance : 689774 ft
Taiwan

CHEOLK Posted at 2017-1-8 05:26
This is the seventh flight I have.
Maybe the 1st time it was ok. But I am not sure as once it started I will fly it up.
The GPS is not so good, I think. as it is a field with trees and lights surrounding it. Quite a big field but not huge. Now I am worried, if high in the sky, the AC will really fly away. How to hover?

I have flown at 3100m which is 500m higher than my take off point.  Done this several times. Never had my drown just fly away.

http://healthydrones.com/main?fl ... _id=GENERALOverview
2017-2-18
Use props
blackcrusader
Second Officer
Taiwan

Labroides Posted at 2017-1-9 21:58
"Heavy clouded and stormy skies probably not so good."
That's just a myth.
Cloud and rain have no effect on GPS signals.

However thick clouds can affect your antenna signal range.  3100m flight altitude height 500m above launch.

2017-2-18
Use props
blackcrusader
Second Officer
Taiwan

CHEOLK Posted at 2017-2-18 01:12
Hi everybody.

Today I flew again. Yes, GPS versus Attitude flight. GPS will hoover your AC but Attitude mode "NO".  Very unsteady. Attitude mode is more difficult to control. The AC become unwieldy. Just imagine, high up with wind, what will happen? money blown away.

It will only blow away if you fly ineptly. Also dont start on about how you charged your battery 30 days ago and now its not full.
READ ABOUT BATTERY STORAGE.

RTFM!!!! This is normal.  IN all your posts the issue is clear to see that you have not read the user manuals on your batteries or on flying.
The drone will not just fly away.  The issue is you being inexperienced and blaming the drone or the setup or the mode you fly in.
Try looking at the person who is controlling the drone.  I have had my P3S for 3 weeks and am having lots of fun flying my drone.
From sea level to 3100m it works perfectly in high wind speeds and low wind speeds.  
2017-2-18
Use props
CHEOLK
lvl.3
Singapore

You are very experienced.
2017-2-19
Use props
KevDrones
lvl.4
Flight distance : 475522 ft
United States

Make sure you fly higher than about 10 meters because GPS for me hits to like 7-9 sats. The higher the better.
2017-2-19
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

CHEOLK Posted at 2017-2-18 01:12
Hi everybody.

It's clear from your posts that you haven't read the manual and have very little understanding of your Phantom.
Here is where to find the manual:  https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/ ... al_v1.4_en_0112.pdf

Read it.  It's full of information that you need to understand - otherwise  ...  bye bye money.

"where is the extra 9 flights coming from??"
You can look at the recorded flights and answer that yourself.
The app shows you details of each flight.

"I charged the AC battery full about 30 days ago. ..  when I reinsert the battery into the AC I found one quarter gone. .. I thought the battery will not discharge if taken out of the AC. Is my battery faulty or going faulty?"

Your battery is fine - your understanding of the battery is faulty.
It will start discharging to storage level a few days after charging.
You can adjust the time in the app.
Never fly with a partly discharged battery.

"I thought of buying Mavic, which is half the weight, so Mavic can be blown away easier."
A Mavic or Phantom will only blow away if you let it.
Both are equally able to hold position in windy conditions.

You have a lot of reading to do.
Don't fly until you read and understand the manual.
2017-2-19
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules