Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Daedalus
lvl.2
Flight distance : 557552 ft
  • >>>
Cyprus

Hello

I am interested finding out on the benefits  ( or disadvantages) of flying the Mavic with the gimbal dome fitted.

I am not aerodynamics expert but i can see the dome is provisioned i with a cut. Maybe for ventilation ?
2017-1-8
Use props
Angelo26
lvl.4
Flight distance : 799718 ft
Austria

normally You will take it off. When You fly in Sport-mode/snowy/rainy conditions the dome will enhance aerodynamics and prevent insects/snow/raindrops from blurring the camera. Disadvantage: once the dome is scratched footage might be blurry and when flying in bright sunlight the dome might cause unwanted reflections.
2017-1-8
Use props
Khonlao
lvl.3
Flight distance : 87385 ft
France

For my part I made this mod for the gimbal cover : Gimbal cover mod
No more lens flare/glare and noticed no reduced speed with or without my modified cover.
Not confident yet to fly it with snow/rain
2017-1-8
Use props
gibbd
lvl.3
Flight distance : 18980 ft
United Kingdom

Made my first flight yesterday with the mavic.  Went really well and no issues had. I did leave the gimbal dome on... and yes I could tell it was on there from the footage (probably didn't help that I realised afterwards that I had fingerprints all over it).  It wasn't even sunny and I could see some lens flare/glare

The footage was still pretty damn good though i have to say.  if you want to make a flawless film, take the dome off id say.
2017-1-8
Use props
Birdog
lvl.2
Flight distance : 664521 ft
United States

Doesnt the gimbal cover also cover the air intake for the fan ? wont it overheat if you leave the cover on ?
2017-1-8
Use props
Moleman
lvl.2
Flight distance : 119419 ft
United Kingdom

There's a guy on Youtube cut his away and painted the rest black, get the advantage of gimbal protection without the glare.

Also some report that leaving the cover on obstructs airflow through the craft, maybe not such an issue this time of year.....
2017-1-8
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

It shouldn't over heat when left on , but you will almost certainly have reflective issues, it's good to keep on for beginners or those testing there Mavics, but for shooting photography leave it off
2017-1-8
Use props
gibbd
lvl.3
Flight distance : 18980 ft
United Kingdom

Leaving the cover on shouldn't make it overheat. There are openings in the dome to allow it to still take in air.  DJI staff on other posts have endorsed that the dome can be left on because of these openings.  Your certainly not going to get the same quality of footage with it on, but it gives that extra level of protection to the extremely delicate gimbal and camera.

In the height of summer on a very hot day.... maybe id have second thoughts about leaving the dome on due to air issues (but thats just my personal opinion)
2017-1-8
Use props
Daedalus
lvl.2
Flight distance : 557552 ft
  • >>>
Cyprus

Thank you your feedback - i have decided to cut the dome and keep the benefits without the disadvantages.
2017-1-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules