2827 20 2017-1-8
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fans593fc987
Second Officer
Flight distance : 508255 ft
  • >>>
United States

I seen on YouTube that some people are using the Mavic with a ground PAD for take off and landings.  I know this will protect the quad from dust and dirt on take off and landings but what I was more interested in was whether the camera that faces the ground would actually recognize the ground pad for more accurate landing.  Does anyone have real experience with this for comment?  
2017-1-8
Use props
thehippoz
Second Officer
Flight distance : 23 ft
United States

Yeah, it's better to hand launch the mavic and catch it imo. I used to bring the cardboard, but launching it from your hand it easy. Catching is simple too. Down and in on both sticks to start props with one hand. Other one up high. After it's up in the air, reset the home point to the controller.

On the way back lower the craft and grab it under the rear end. Hold stick down for 3 seconds. Makes it about as portable as it's meant to be.
2017-1-8
Use props
fans593fc987
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

thehippoz Posted at 2017-1-8 06:05
Yeah, it's better to hand launch the mavic and catch it imo. I used to bring the cardboard, but launching it from your hand it easy. Catching is simple too. Down and in on both sticks to start props with one hand. Other one up high. After it's up in the air, reset the home point to the controller.

On the way back lower the craft and grab it under the rear end. Hold stick down for 3 seconds. Makes it about as portable as it's meant to be.

Awesome thank you for the feedback ... In reading the mavic sits low to the ground so these are all real good recommendations
2017-1-8
Use props
NavigatorNL
lvl.4
Flight distance : 700768 ft
Netherlands

I don't understand why it's better to 'hand launch'. It's a serious risk for injuries. I use a ground pad for more than 2 years. Safe and sound.
2017-1-8
Use props
Mullheliflier
First Officer
Flight distance : 12305135 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I use a small landing pad for my Mavic. I feel that it offers it a bit of protection. I also believe it helps with the precision landing. The first time I tried return to home on my pad I would say that it landed within an inch of the take off point! I have the pad attached to my DJI back pack all the time. You would hardly know it was there.
2017-1-8
Use props
Gary Mac
lvl.4
Flight distance : 741683 ft
United States

I just bought the landing pad and have used it a week or so.  I like it and it is very portable.  I also have hand launched/retrieved, so that is a viable option.  I don't like to use it (the hand-method) all the time, so I use it when appropriate.  Otherwise, I use the launch pad if i don't have clean, flat concrete/asphalt to launch from.  Even then, I tend to use it to keep the prop-wash to a minimum.  I think it is worth the investment.  If they were a hundred bucks, I'd feel differently, but for $10-$30, it's worthwhile to have and use.

FYI, watch out for using the stakes.  I don't use them and have not had an issue with the pad blowing away. The plastic ones I got with mine stick up enough to catch a prop if you aren't centered.  So, I took the cheap, thin metal ones from a tent I had and used them.  They are just wire and bend over in a hook at the top.  Sink 1 or two all the way into the ground and the pad won't move.
2017-1-8
Use props
fans593fc987
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Gary Mac Posted at 2017-1-8 08:38
I just bought the landing pad and have used it a week or so.  I like it and it is very portable.  I also have hand launched/retrieved, so that is a viable option.  I don't like to use it (the hand-method) all the time, so I use it when appropriate.  Otherwise, I use the launch pad if i don't have clean, flat concrete/asphalt to launch from.  Even then, I tend to use it to keep the prop-wash to a minimum.  I think it is worth the investment.  If they were a hundred bucks, I'd feel differently, but for $10-$30, it's worthwhile to have and use.

FYI, watch out for using the stakes.  I don't use them and have not had an issue with the pad blowing away. The plastic ones I got with mine stick up enough to catch a prop if you aren't centered.  So, I took the cheap, thin metal ones from a tent I had and used them.  They are just wire and bend over in a hook at the top.  Sink 1 or two all the way into the ground and the pad won't move.

Good advice.  I'm spoiled by my Inspire because it lands way off the ground.  I'm going with the landing pad and as you said, limit hand catching and take off only when needed (non flat ground or out on a boat).  I appreciate your feedback.  Now just waiting on my Mavic to come in
2017-1-8
Use props
fschilder
lvl.2
Flight distance : 102028 ft
  • >>>
Canada

I have this pad and have used it several times now. It works like a charm for precision landings. I take off from the "H" and it has landed no more than 2 inches from the center every time it has landed. With the snow we have here (Canada), it provides great protection for takeoffs and landings. Btw, I bought the larger one, not the puddle-sized model.
2017-1-8
Use props
hridge
lvl.3
Flight distance : 17651 ft
United States

[img]https://forum22.djicdn.com/data/attachment/forum/%5BURL=http://s37.photobucket.com/user/hvrodpics/media/Mavic%20launchlanding_zps3aybonzl.jpg.html%5D[/URL][/img]
2017-1-8
Use props
MHM1170
lvl.2

United States

Wow what a waist of money ...................... Guys get real.  Do you really need a launch pad................next you will be buying  sweaters to keep your drone warm...........  They do have them believe it or not
2017-1-8
Use props
NavigatorNL
lvl.4
Flight distance : 700768 ft
Netherlands

MHM1170 Posted at 2017-1-8 11:36
Wow what a waist of money ...................... Guys get real.  Do you really need a launch pad................next you will be buying  sweaters to keep your drone warm...........  They do have them believe it or not

You must be kidding. What about landing on unequal ground, high grass or sand? Crashing your multirotor is a waist of money. Using a landing pad is about safety.
2017-1-8
Use props
devGOD
lvl.3
Flight distance : 200577 ft
United States

buy a Yoga mat (about $8 USD at Walmart) and cut it 24x24 you should be able to make 3 pads. roll it up and be on your way.
2017-1-8
Use props
Wellsi
First Officer
Flight distance : 8330187 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

NavigatorNL Posted at 2017-1-8 11:43
You must be kidding. What about landing on unequal ground, high grass or sand? Crashing your multirotor is a waist of money. Using a landing pad is about safety.

There is always somewhere flat to take off from, and hand-catching for landing is perfectly safe.  I always hand-catch for landing as that way I'm in complete control of the drone and it won't land on anything uneven.  Bring it down to a foot above your head, stop, grab hold, then pull down the altitude lever for three seconds and the motors shut off. Perfect.

But each to their own; the whole point of droning is for your own fun, so whatever makes it more fun is good.....  

Ian
2017-1-8
Use props
thehippoz
Second Officer
Flight distance : 23 ft
United States

Wellsi Posted at 2017-1-8 12:40
There is always somewhere flat to take off from, and hand-catching for landing is perfectly safe.  I always hand-catch for landing as that way I'm in complete control of the drone and it won't land on anything uneven.  Bring it down to a foot above your head, stop, grab hold, then pull down the altitude lever for three seconds and the motors shut off. Perfect.

But each to their own; the whole point of droning is for your own fun, so whatever makes it more fun is good.....   

Yeah, think they are concerned about the home point, unless your disabled or something like that. In litchi you can bind it to like hold C2 to move home point to the controller, so you could even move it every once in while if you change location. I don't use rth much.
2017-1-8
Use props
Gary Mac
lvl.4
Flight distance : 741683 ft
United States

But... I DO have a heating blanket for "Mavy" when he gets cold and I always wash and polish him on Sundays.  I also make sure his little gimbal is lubed and polished so that he can cope with all the little vibrations in the air like the "big drones".

So, because we chose to do something different than you, we deserve ridicule?  Take your "machismo" and

go...

fly...

a...

drone.
2017-1-8
Use props
lachyb
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Do you have a link to these sweaters for the drones MHM1170? They sound just delightful
2017-1-25
Use props
boostedford
lvl.4
Flight distance : 144478 ft
United States

i have this landing pad but i havent tried precision landing with it yet but its pretty big (but folds small) so its perfect for protecting it from anything on the ground i definitely recommend it
2017-1-26
Use props
Jenee 2
First Officer
Flight distance : 7852129 ft
Australia

devGOD Posted at 2017-1-8 11:58
buy a Yoga mat (about $8 USD at Walmart) and cut it 24x24 you should be able to make 3 pads. roll it up and be on your way.

Have to second the yoga mat. Doesn't move in wind and when flying from grass, the RTH is always within a couple of inches possibly because the downward vision can get a good fix on the mat from the grass background.
2017-1-26
Use props
CuaC
lvl.4
Flight distance : 369626 ft
Germany

Landing pads are cheap, foldable and don't take any space. Why would somebody recommend hand launching/catching in other situation than controlling your drone from a boat or similar? Just get a pad for 10 bucks and be safe. Sometimes you read some things around... that make you think that we should really have to take an exam to be able to use a drone. Omg..
2017-1-27
Use props
lachyb
lvl.2
United Kingdom

I've seen people hold out their hand when brining the drone down and then swipe to auto land on it. If you try and snatch it out of the air the cheeky bugger will try and fly off.
2017-1-27
Use props
DroneFlying
Second Officer
Flight distance : 10774613 ft
United States

Do I really need a launch pad? Not usually, but sometimes I take off and land from grassy areas, and the landing pad protects my props from hitting the grass and also keeps debris from getting inside the Mavic.

Hand launching isn't really an option because I want both hands on the controller, and hand catching has never appealed to me due to the risk of damage to myself and the Mavic.

Maybe none of this applies to you, but just because you don't see the need for something doesn't mean that other peoples' need isn't valid.
2017-1-27
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules