48642 40 2017-1-8
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Aerial Tiki
lvl.1
Flight distance : 3732365 ft
Puerto Rico

DJI has to lighten up!
If a remote controller battery lasts about 2 years, after the warranty period expired. Why can't I order a replacement battery to do the swap myself? its a simple task does not affect anything inside the controller and keeps customers happy with their purchase. Imagine that your cars battery goes dead, and the only way to replace it is to take it to the car dealership and you will be without your car for 1 month...totally unacceptable.

Any ideas on were to purchase the 6000mAh 7.4v 2s Lipo?

PS. this is DJI's second strike with me!
Thanks

2017-1-8
Use props
RichJ53
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1837356 ft
  • >>>
United States

I tend to agree with you but unfortunately they made the remote a sealed unit. Yes, it can be taken apart by someone that has skills, but for the most part it is not a simple... They did not design the remote with a  battery compartment door like most of their radio systems have.
It would be nice if they sold the battery without warranty for those that want to try this change out themselves.

To bad DJI did design the new Inspire 2 remote with a battery compartment door.
Not sure DJI will listen on this one.  

Maybe they have made this repair cheap?
Rich
2017-1-9
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Sorry Aerial Tiki, we don't sell the remote controller battery separately.
If you want to replace the battery, please feel free to get in touch with our tech support and send it in.
2017-1-9
Use props
Aerial Tiki
lvl.1
Flight distance : 3732365 ft
Puerto Rico

DJI Mindy Posted at 2017-1-9 20:13
If you want to replace the battery, please feel free to get in touch with our tech support and send it in.

Thanks, but no thanks.
I don't trust DJI support/tech service.
Will wait until another China supplier gets the drift and starts selling them cheaper to  anybody who wants one $$$$
2017-1-12
Use props
Highasakite
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1423930 ft
United States

These are NOT my words, I just copied this from another forum........... Original battery pack has the balancer built in. You must use the original PC board balancer from the original battery pack. Then modify the new battery pack. Take care when you do this mod.
It works but with care in the process. I can confirm the Optipower works perfectly fine and almost fits the original casing - slightly thicker you may have to do a little cutting or grinding with a dremel tool inside  of the back cover.

Optipower Lipo Cell Rx Battery 5000mAh 2S 25C OPR50002SRX

Capacity................................5000mAh
Cells.....................................2
C Rate Continuous.................25
Max Burst C Rate...................60
Recommended Charge C Rate...1c
Max Charge C Rate.................3c
Plug/ Silicon Leads.................20AWG
Balancer...............................JST-XH
Sizes....................................length 99mm x width 44mm x thickness 19mm
Weight.................................202g

the 5000mAH vs 6000 mAH - to be fair I don't consider this much of an issue knowing the transmitter consumption level! }}}MY WORDS...   This may take some skill and expertise, but I think it may be a workable solution. Experts PLEASE feel free to chime in. Ken.
2017-1-29
Use props
Daedalus
lvl.2
Flight distance : 557552 ft
  • >>>
Cyprus

Aerial Tiki Posted at 2017-1-12 14:46
Thanks, but no thanks.
I don't trust DJI support/tech service.
Will wait until another China supplier gets the drift and starts selling them cheaper to  anybody who wants one $$$$

How can you not trust DJI support / tech service ? they are the same ones inventing all those great products.
2017-1-30
Use props
Kenroy
lvl.1

Trinidad and Tobago

Can you explain to me WHY your company will not sell the battery separately? I just need to understand the logic behind it
2018-2-14
Use props
rajabadal
New
India

plz suggest me the process. i want to send my remote back to u for replacement of the battery.
2018-4-9
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

rajabadal@gmail Posted at 2018-4-9 00:52
plz suggest me the process. i want to send my remote back to u for replacement of the battery.

If your country is available for online repair request form, please fill in the form and start a ticket here: https://repair.dji.com/repair/index If not, please contact our support team to start a ticket and they will guide you to send in: https://www.dji.com/support?site=brandsite&from=nav
2018-4-9
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

Kenroy Posted at 2018-2-14 08:13
Can you explain to me WHY your company will not sell the battery separately? I just need to understand the logic behind it

Sorry that your post was missed, I apologize for the late response, actually we never recommend customer to repair on their own, please send in if you still have the same issue, thanks for your understanding.
2018-4-9
Use props
mixchief
lvl.4
Flight distance : 182057 ft
  • >>>
United States

Kenroy Posted at 2018-2-14 08:13

If you think about it, that's becoming the trend with most electronic manufacturers, the newer smart phones and computers are a good example. I had to have the apple techs service my phone to replace the battery, granted, their customer service seems to be a lot more reliable (and they have tech service available most places) than DJI's  (as reported, my experience so far has been stellar) however DJI using a LIPO battery most likely want's to make sure the service is performed with the care necessary so that users do it and the battery explodes in their hands DJI cannot be held liable.
2018-4-9
Use props
Swing Dangler
lvl.1
Flight distance : 31486 ft
United States

Any luck finding a replacement? I'm in the same boat as you. I was curious if this would work: Replacement Battery  The only difference I could find is the capacity is lower. 2200mAH instead of the 6000mAH.
2018-6-20
Use props
chuckb0001
lvl.1
United States

RichJ53 Posted at 2017-1-9 16:37
I tend to agree with you but unfortunately they made the remote a sealed unit. Yes, it can be taken apart by someone that has skills, but for the most part it is not a simple... They did not design the remote with a  battery compartment door like most of their radio systems have.
It would be nice if they sold the battery without warranty for those that want to try this change out themselves.

The phantom 4 controller comes apart very easily. 4 screws behind 2 rubber plugs and 2 behind the large rubber side pieces. no big deal. all I need is the battery, like a lot of other people do i think
2018-6-26
Use props
chuckb0001
lvl.1
United States

That's pretty crappy!!!! People will find one somewhere that will fit.
2018-6-26
Use props
chuckb0001
lvl.1
United States

mixchief Posted at 2018-4-9 05:53
If you think about it, that's becoming the trend with most electronic manufacturers, the newer smart phones and computers are a good example. I had to have the apple techs service my phone to replace the battery, granted, their customer service seems to be a lot more reliable (and they have tech service available most places) than DJI's  (as reported, my experience so far has been stellar) however DJI using a LIPO battery most likely want's to make sure the service is performed with the care necessary so that users do it and the battery explodes in their hands DJI cannot be held liable.

I have a Galaxy 4 phone and the back cover comes off. I have had it for a long time now and had to replace the battery. New bat only coast me $8.00. Like you said, the new phones are sealed and when the battery dies, and they all do, you throw the phone away or send it in and pay a fortune to have the batt replaced. No thanks. Same with the phantom controller. The controller comes apart very easily. I'll figure out a battery for mine. This is very common with a lot of products now days. The old "Razor/Blade" theroy
2018-6-26
Use props
chuckb0001
lvl.1
United States

Highasakite Posted at 2017-1-29 13:14
These are NOT my words, I just copied this from another forum........... Original battery pack has the balancer built in. You must use the original PC board balancer from the original battery pack. Then modify the new battery pack. Take care when you do this mod.
It works but with care in the process. I can confirm the Optipower works perfectly fine and almost fits the original casing - slightly thicker you may have to do a little cutting or grinding with a dremel tool inside  of the back cover.

I now need a battery in my phantom controller. It comes apart very easily and I'm an old retired electronic tech. Are there any updates to this bat replacement? I know li-po bats need a circuit board on them to prevent over charge. I'm sure you can use the old one.
2018-6-26
Use props
mixchief
lvl.4
Flight distance : 182057 ft
  • >>>
United States

chuckb0001 Posted at 2018-6-26 13:12
I now need a battery in my phantom controller. It comes apart very easily and I'm an old retired electronic tech. Are there any updates to this bat replacement? I know li-po bats need a circuit board on them to prevent over charge. I'm sure you can use the old one.

keep the extinguisher close LOL
2018-6-26
Use props
RichJ53
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1837356 ft
  • >>>
United States

chuckb0001 Posted at 2018-6-26 13:03
That's pretty crappy!!!! People will find one somewhere that will fit.

Hi Chuck

This is an pretty old thread. Yes, you can take apart the remote using these screws. Unlike most RC remotes purchased for the hobby such as Futaba or JR have a battery compartment that is accessible to the user.

DJI decided to seal the battery inside the case making this harder for the normal user. Plus they do not offer any parts outside of their service network.

Bottom line: we have been seeing this more and more with tech products. The OEM want to force the users to send the product for repairs.  Apple iPhones have special screws that lock you out of the phone case (iFixit has the tools and parts to fix the phone)  it's all about more profits

If you really want to fix your remote, I am sure you will figure it out. Finding a battery that will fit into the battery box and changing the molex connector on the new battery.

Best of luck to you and be safe.

Rich
2018-6-27
Use props
chuckb0001
lvl.1
United States

I realize this is an older post but I'll try it. I ordered one of these batteries from ebay and the size is a bit smaller than what you have listed but the model # is the same. Can you give me a hint on how to wire it since the battery has 2 connectors?? Tried looking for a factory dji battery. good luck wit that.
2018-6-28
Use props
chuckb0001
lvl.1
United States

mixchief Posted at 2018-6-26 17:26
keep the extinguisher close LOL

Yeah well, I doubt that will be necessary. I'm a retired electronic tech of 25 years and have done stuff like this a lot. No big problem.
2018-6-28
Use props
chuckb0001
lvl.1
United States

What was the other forum??
2018-6-28
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

chuckb0001 Posted at 2018-6-26 13:03
That's pretty crappy!!!! People will find one somewhere that will fit.

We are really sorry for the inconvenience, the battery of RC is still not for sale, if there is something wrong with the RC, please send in and our repair center will get it sorted out.
2018-6-28
Use props
Microman
New

United Kingdom

The big question is, how much will you charge to fix this battery issue with a P3A remote control which is not taking a charge?
2018-10-20
Use props
bwpage3
lvl.1
Flight distance : 2687 ft
United States

Well, with a Masters Degree in Electrical Engineering and Circuit board design, I can tell you that DJI went all out to make you send your controller in for service when changing the battery is a very simple task.

Unfortunately the battery in my DJI Phantom 3 controller died from non-use. Since I have previously modified my controller, (yes I know it voids the warranty however no concerns there), to add the Argotech extended antenna (3 antennas instead of the one that came with it)

The case comes apart with 4 Philips screws and a butter knife.

There are 2 screws that hold the collar onto the antenna that need to be removed

Then all you have to do is slide the back case down from the antenna and off.

I did find the same cylinder shape battery that DJI uses.

It is interesting to note DJI uses a blue plastic sleeve over the battery which is imprinted with DJI's own part number.

However, if you remove that blue sleeve from the battery, you can see the actual battery part number

Adafruit.com sells the battery for US $9.95  Lithium Ion Cylindrical Battery - 3.7v 2200mAh [ID:1781]

I believe the original DJI battery was 2600mah, so this is as close as I could find

The main issue with the Adafruit replacement battery Lithium Ion Cylindrical Battery - 3.7v 2200mAh [ID:1781] is that is comes with a 2.0mm JST connector which is to large for the DJI circuit board

So you would need to order an exact 1.25mm 2 pin female JST connector, cut the 2.0mm connector off the replacement battery and slice, solder, etc. the new 1.25mm JST connector to the new replacement battery

The battery is held in with 2 tiny Philips screws and is simple to change.

The whole job took me less than 15 minutes (I soldered the wires from the 1.25MM JST to the wires of the new adafruit replacement battery) however you could twist them together and tape them.

You will need a wire stripping tool that can splice 24 to 28 gage wire

Very simple and cost effective job to get your controller back to charging correctly without waiting around for months to have it returned from service

Adafruit sent the batteries in 2 days.
2018-10-25
Use props
UAVTom
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1236778 ft
  • >>>
United States

Why did they not make the battery swapable.  Even the next gen Mavic doesn't have it .  Simple task.
2018-11-10
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

UAVTom Posted at 11-10 19:20
Why did they not make the battery swapable.  Even the next gen Mavic doesn't have it .  Simple task.

Hi Tom, since the battery is built-in and when the RC cannot be charged, it could also the problem of the main board or other parts, we do not recommend customers to disassemble the device, if there is any problem, please contact our support team for further assistance, thanks for your understanding.
2018-11-11
Use props
UAVTom
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1236778 ft
  • >>>
United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 2018-11-11 23:19
Hi Tom, since the battery is built-in and when the RC cannot be charged, it could also the problem of the main board or other parts, we do not recommend customers to disassemble the device, if there is any problem, please contact our support team for further assistance, thanks for your understanding.

Thanks !

Not having a problem with my controllers.  I was just stating that it would have been a great in improvement to make the next controller with swap-able batteries.  
2019-1-28
Use props
rafael lozano
New

United States

Same problem with the battery, I call DJI support, they want me to send the remote, I just open the remote and I got the model number of the battery ,
2019-5-8
Use props
rafael lozano
New

United States

rafael lozano Posted at 5-8 10:29
Same problem with the battery, I call DJI support, they want me to send the remote, I just open the remote and I got the model number of the battery ,

2019-5-8
Use props
fans61592259
New

United States

FYI. I just sent my Phantom 3 Standard transmitter in for battery replacement:

Battery: $4
Labor: $69

Yeah, would be nice if they just sold us the battery, but I also wanted to make sure that the transmitter was okay since the battery was STONE dead and it's possible it could have been the charging circuit.
2019-5-9
Use props
Kennyv66
lvl.1
Flight distance : 53041 ft
United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 2018-6-28 07:12
We are really sorry for the inconvenience, the battery of RC is still not for sale, if there is something wrong with the RC, please send in and our repair center will get it sorted out.

Yeah for 300 bucks i am sure you will, lol
2019-5-12
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

Kennyv66 Posted at 5-12 08:14
Yeah for 300 bucks i am sure you will, lol

Hi Kennyv66, sorry for the troubles with your RC, I see the new case has been created and the tracking number has also been sent to you, please send in at your most convenience for the evaluation, our repair center will help you out.
2019-5-12
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

fans61592259 Posted at 5-9 12:39
FYI. I just sent my Phantom 3 Standard transmitter in for battery replacement:

Battery: $4

Hi there, don't worry, our repair center will get it tested and solved.
2019-5-13
Use props
HyperSpectral
lvl.4
Flight distance : 839160 ft
United States

Awfully "Apple-like" huh? Planned obsolescence has already begun, something has to change DJI.
2019-5-13
Use props
fans61592259
New

United States

Follow up: Total repair cost for my transmitter with dead battery was $4 + $65 = $69. I just got it back today, and I noticed that the serial number is different and my labels are gone, so they replaced the entire transmitter.
2019-5-17
Use props
jazzyjeff
lvl.4
United States

rafael lozano Posted at 5-8 10:29

Raph, what is the model number of the battery. You said you opened it up and got the model number?
2019-5-18
Use props
Sbt688
lvl.1
Flight distance : 13222 ft
Panama

Mu remote controller was working fine bjt now i charging it doesn't go up of the 2nd line
That means the battery is dead??
15665867069121596681415967794138.jpg
2019-8-23
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

Sbt688 Posted at 8-23 10:59
Mu remote controller was working fine bjt now i charging it doesn't go up of the 2nd line
That means the battery is dead??

Hi Sbt688, sorry for the trouble on charging, did you try with another cable or adapter?
2019-8-24
Use props
BrianKushner
lvl.4
Flight distance : 41420253 ft
  • >>>
United States

Daedalus Posted at 2017-1-30 12:31
How can you not trust DJI support / tech service ? they are the same ones inventing all those great products.

Because they will send a REFURB controller in which the bat life is already 1/2 done
2019-10-19
Use props
rwarton
New

United States

Maybe this will help someone.  Search YouTube for Rick Warton, he has a video on how to replace the battery and where to get it.  I'd share the link but the forum won't let me, sorry.
2020-1-23
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules