CHARGING BATTERIES TOO OFTEN?
1496 14 2017-1-8
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fansa374e14d
lvl.4
Flight distance : 561411 ft
United States

As I am often tweaking my settings on the camera and aircraft, the thought came to me that I may not be using my batteries in the best way. I have my rc on as well as my aircraft when using the dji go app. Naturally, it does take a small part of the charge down to do this so I have been topping the batteries off after each time. My question is, is this a smart thing to do? I want my batteries to be full in case the weather permits me to fly. Does it do any harm to use the batteries even a small amount say down to 91-93% and then recharge them. I haven't found anything on the website or booklets so far and I know that are some very knowledgeable folks here on this forum that have some good advice. Just trying to get the most out the batteries. I forgot to mention, I let the battery sit for at least a half an hour before charging it up again.
Thank you.

2017-1-8
Use props
MrPinaColada
lvl.4
Flight distance : 790082 ft
United States

No it does not, it is suggested that after every 20 flights you cycle your batteries. Meaning that after every 20 flights, fly from 100% down to 8% battery. You don't want to go much further than 8% otherwise you would most likely severely damage your battery.
2017-1-8
Use props
SITKAMICK
lvl.4
United States

MrPinaColada Posted at 2017-1-8 18:21
No it does not, it is suggested that after every 20 flights you cycle your batteries. Meaning that after every 20 flights, fly from 100% down to 8% battery. You don't want to go much further than 8% otherwise you would most likely severely damage your battery.

Thank you, what is a good or best way to take the batteries down to that 8%?
2017-1-8
Use props
stuka75
Second Officer
Flight distance : 85682 ft
United States

You dont want to keep your batteries fully topped indefinitely. they need to self discharge after a preset time to storage level. If you keep them at full level or near full, they will degrade. thats why DJI has self discharge to storage built in.
2017-1-8
Use props
SITKAMICK
lvl.4
United States

stuka75 Posted at 2017-1-8 18:46
You dont want to keep your batteries fully topped indefinitely. they need to self discharge after a preset time to storage level. If you keep them at full level or near full, they will degrade. thats why DJI has self discharge to storage built in.

I usually fly every 2 or 3 days and I did think about changing the setting from the 10 days that is set in the program to a lesser number but haven't done so mainly because from what I have seen in other posts here, it takes a few days for the battery to discharge itself. It would be great if there was printed information on this subject for all to read. Maybe there is?
2017-1-8
Use props
MrPinaColada
lvl.4
Flight distance : 790082 ft
United States

SITKAMICK Posted at 2017-1-8 18:52
I usually fly every 2 or 3 days and I did think about changing the setting from the 10 days that is set in the program to a lesser number but haven't done so mainly because from what I have seen in other posts here, it takes a few days for the battery to discharge itself. It would be great if there was printed information on this subject for all to read. Maybe there is?

I'm sure it's in the manual, but the battery generally takes 2-3 days to discharge from what I remember
2017-1-8
Use props
SITKAMICK
lvl.4
United States

MrPinaColada Posted at 2017-1-8 19:02
I'm sure it's in the manual, but the battery generally takes 2-3 days to discharge from what I remember

Pages 18 and 19 in the manual do explain it somewhat so I guess its not "rocket science".  Thank you for all your help, Happy New Year and Happy Flying..
2017-1-8
Use props
P4P+
lvl.3
United States

In my opinion, based on other lipo battery usage, you are not doing anything to reduce your battery's life cycle by charging up before the voltage is low. If you recharge them when they are already nearly full it does not do any damage and a battery can have many more charge cycles as compared to only charging when the battery's voltage is very low. As an example, most of us charge our cell phones even if the battery is at 80% and look how long our cell phone batteries last.  These DJI smart battery packs take care of themselves when it comes to reducing the voltage to storage mode. The manual does touch upon this subject.
2017-1-8
Use props
WilliamM
Second Officer
Flight distance : 904364 ft
United States

SITKAMICK Posted at 2017-1-8 18:24
Thank you, what is a good or best way to take the batteries down to that 8%?

Every 20 or so flights just don't land till it's to 10%, by the time it's on the ground and powered off it's at 8%.
2017-1-8
Use props
SITKAMICK
lvl.4
United States

WilliamM Posted at 2017-1-8 20:11
Every 20 or so flights just don't land till it's to 10%, by the time it's on the ground and powered off it's at 8%.

That sounds like a good way to take it down, thank you.
2017-1-8
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
Flight distance : 1087530 ft
Latvia

If you are flying the battery's down to 50% or less every 2 or 3 days - then you have no problem.

Its not even necessary then alter the default 10 day to discharge setting.

Its not explained well - but in fact what happens :

The battery if left at a state above storage remains at that level till the time set. In your case appears to have the 10 day setting. On the 10th day - a slow discharge to storage level takes place. This can take 2 days or so to complete. Why so slow ? Because its an energy waste cycle and cannot go faster.

Lipo care : it is generally acknowledged that lipos should not be left fully charged or repeatedly topped up unless they are used frequently. The 'laptop' / 'phone' comparison shows this.
If you charge up a lipo and will not be using it for example till a week later - discharge it to storage. Do not leave it full charged.

The act of discharge to 8% or so is actually not advised by many who are experienced lipo users. It does nothing for the cells except push them close to over-discharged levels. There is no way to control cell voltages in the DJI battery when doing it. You may have total voltage correct but one cell too low and another higher compensating. My opinion which agrees with many online advisory - is to use our lipos down to no lower than 10% only occasionally but to usually stay in the 20 - 30% arena at end of flight. 30% or so put the battery in best storage level ......

You can buy plug in dischargers that actually use the energy to charge any USB equipped device ...... I often use this to charge up my power cell which I carry to top up my mobile phone!

Nigel
2017-1-8
Use props
P4P+
lvl.3
United States

solentlife Posted at 2017-1-8 22:38
If you are flying the battery's down to 50% or less every 2 or 3 days - then you have no problem.

Its not even necessary then alter the default 10 day to discharge setting.

I agree with solentlife, I would never run my lipos down to 8%, that is asking for trouble. Someone should clarify this 8% discharge after 20 flights with DJI.
2017-1-8
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
Flight distance : 1087530 ft
Latvia

Lipo's are nothing like the old days of NiCd where periodic 'conditioning' restored capacity .... lipo's do not recover any capacity whatsoever no matter what you do.
Even then old myth of conditioning new is nowadays wasted cycle life.

The 'secret' to keeping lipos in good condition ....

Do not keep deep discharging them.
Store at 3.7 - 3.85v per cell ( DJI battery is a 4 cell)
Do not keep them topped up continuously without use
Do not use low C rate in high discharge setups
Do not charge at high C rates when not necessary
Let cool after use before charging
Let warm up from very cold before use
Let warm up from very cold before charge

Sounds ominous - but simple guides ....

Nigel
2017-1-9
Use props
WilliamM
Second Officer
Flight distance : 904364 ft
United States

P4P+ Posted at 2017-1-8 23:10
I agree with solentlife, I would never run my lipos down to 8%, that is asking for trouble. Someone should clarify this 8% discharge after 20 flights with DJI.

Right here on DJI's own "Battery Guidelines". https://www.drone-world.com/medi ... y_Guidelines_en.pdf (last page).
But then it was removed in this update. http://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/p ... _Guidelines__en.pdf
So this leads to the confusion.

2017-1-9
Use props
fansecef9785
Second Officer
Flight distance : 32057 ft
United States

I am not an engineer but have a lot of experience with various Li battery chemistries in vehicles and other applications; Nigel (solentlife) is correct; Li cells achieve their best Life Cycle when maintained at between 20 and 90% SOC (Sate of Charge)  While there is little impact to total Life Cycle if the cells are discharged to 5~10% once in a great while, to do this frequently will negatively impact the useful life of those cells.  There is no benefit from from any scheduled discharge practice other than for the recommended long term storage.  If you are interested in battery information presented in reasonably non technical terms visit www.batteryuniversity.com  
2017-1-9
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules